Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Derby Sack Manager, Rotherham Gaffer favourite....
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 174 Guests

Derby Sack Manager, Rotherham Gaffer favourite....

This thread currently has 36,347 views. Print
27 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
September 21, 2022, 5:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
should the millers manager go to Derby which is rumoured, would they come a knocking for Paul? he wouldnt turn them down understandably
Logged Offline
Private Message
Poojah
September 21, 2022, 5:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
The Rotherham job has always been the one that makes me nervous. Some question marks I'm sure remain over his time at Ipswich, but Hust is the club record appearance holder having been a senior player there for a decade and a half and effectively their version of John McDermott, only with a far more impressive career in coaching and management.

He'd be amongst the top of the odds I'm sure, and you'd think they'd at least be interested in interviewing him. Would they want to replace one club legend in Paul Warne with another? He's done alright for them, hasn't he?

I very much hope Derby go elsewhere for their next boss. And not here, obviously.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 266
Surrey97
September 21, 2022, 5:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 20
Would expect he’ll be on their shortlist. Having said that, his stint at Ipswich could put them off, hopefully.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 266
Poojah
September 21, 2022, 5:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Seems that rumours of Warne’s departure from Rotherham began before news of Rosenior’s ‘demotion’ broke. Sky and Talksport reporting it. Clearly something in it.

https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38295760

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 266
Poojah
September 21, 2022, 5:16pm
Vodka Drinker

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 266
Spidey
September 21, 2022, 5:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +385
Gold Stars: 4
I'm sure Doigy will let us know, if he hears anything
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 266
Gaffer58
September 21, 2022, 5:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Hurst has just signed some sort o& new contract, so hopefully Rotherham can have him if they pay the £2 million release clause.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 266
DB
September 21, 2022, 5:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
On the other hand, Hurst has just signed a new contract here. He likes the set-up and the freedom the owners give him and next season we could be playing Rotherham in League 1. I wouldn't say he's got a job for life here but his tenure is pretty secure, especially when he was backed by the owners during that bad spell last season.

I don't think he'll move as project ( don't like the word) Grimsby Town is thrusting forward in all directions, both on and off the field. He will want to continue to be part of the success story of the Mariners.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 266
Meza
September 21, 2022, 5:29pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
Is there a release clause Gaffer58?  Hopefully there is and get some compo for his achievements.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 266
aldi_01
September 21, 2022, 5:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I worked with a bloke who played for Rotherham for years, he describes Hurst as an absolute legend there. As someone said, he’s their version of Macca.

You’d imagine given our start that Hurst would be on most clubs radars in league 1 and 2. His time at Ipswich probably won’t affect his reputation given everyone outside the game knows that at that time Ipswich were a basket case club so that view certainly existed in the game.

I think Hurst is in a different place now as are GTFC so you’d imagine it would take a little more effort and cash than before. We’ve also got owners that have a vision and Hurst is part of that.

There’s also the argument that Hurst might not want to go there so as not to tarnish any sort of reputation…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 266
Poojah
September 21, 2022, 5:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Agree with all the above about the security of his job, the positivity around what he’s doing here and the very sound place he appears to be in mentally.

However, IF and it’s still remains a big if, Rotherham came for him I don’t see a scenario where he wouldn’t go. The top job at a club where he is already a legend, 10 mins from his house, a 4-6x multiplier of his salary on a long-term contract, and a small but not completely unrealistic chance of getting to the Premier League. If he’s not already, he’d be set for life.

If Rotherham want him, he’ll go, along with Doig and probably the rest of the back room team (as just happened to Brighton, and is now happening to Rotherham). I would be absolutely gutted in that scenario, but I couldn’t begrudge him in the slightest.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 266
ginnywings
September 21, 2022, 5:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah
Agree with all the above about the security of his job, the positivity around what he’s doing here and the very sound place he appears to be in mentally.

However, IF and it’s still remains a big if, Rotherham came for him I don’t see a scenario where he wouldn’t go. The top job at a club where he is already a legend, 10 mins from his house, a 4-6x multiplier of his salary on a long-term contract, and a small but not completely unrealistic chance of getting to the Premier League. If he’s not already, he’d be set for life.

If Rotherham want him, he’ll go, along with Doig and probably the rest of the back room team (as just happened to Brighton, and is now happening to Rotherham). I would be absolutely gutted in that scenario, but I couldn’t begrudge him in the slightest.

Doig has said he wants a go at management. If PH left, he may try for the manager's job himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 266
chaos33
September 21, 2022, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,979
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from Poojah

This, and I’m now officially worried.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 266
chaos33
September 21, 2022, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Doig has said he wants a go at management. If PH left, he may try for the manager's job himself.

Very good point

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 266
Lost in Lincoln
September 21, 2022, 5:52pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from ginnywings

Doig is certainly the most vocal of our management team during games

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 266
DB
September 21, 2022, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

Doig is certainly the most vocal of our management team during games

Quiet so, but it's Hurst that makes the decisions.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 266
DB
September 21, 2022, 6:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

This is all very depressing, so how about an alternative to Hurst - Scott Parker? Any other suggestions who The Millers might show an interest in, anybody but Hurst.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 266
petethemariner
September 21, 2022, 6:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
IF Rotherham came calling IMO he would be mad not to seriously consider it -  still lives in the area so no more commuting, at a club he  is vastly respected at and which is currently mid table 2 leagues higher than us, decent ground and presumably would be on considerably more money than here.
Hopefully though the fact that Rotherham would have to pay us compo, would be enough to make them look elsewhere and maybe his Ipswich problems would also have an effect on their decision.
There is alot to happen before we have to worry though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 266
Wiley2405
September 21, 2022, 6:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
This is worrying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 266
DB
September 21, 2022, 6:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from petethemariner
IF Rotherham came calling IMO he would be mad not to seriously consider it -  still lives in the area so no more commuting, at a club he  is vastly respected at and which is currently mid table 2 leagues higher than us, decent ground and presumably would be on considerably more money than here.
Hopefully though the fact that Rotherham would have to pay us compo, would be enough to make them look elsewhere and maybe his Ipswich problems would also have an effect on their decision.
There is alot to happen before we have to worry though.

Day1 We have a target and we have made contact
Day2 Our approach has been rebuffed
Day3 Our new offer has been accepted and our new manager is????

3 days is a short time and I'm worried.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 266
HerveJosse
September 21, 2022, 6:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Would also be high risk for him given Rotherham’s propensity to follow promotion to championship by relegation and the fact that they are not really a championship club. Also he has no track record of success in r the Championship   No sentiment in the championship not sure his playing record with them ending 15 years ago is much of a criteria for a job there now.. I  am not as convinced as others this is a big threat.
If I am wrong and he left us again woukd we have him back a third time?.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 266
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 21, 2022, 7:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from HerveJosse
Would also be high risk for him given Rotherham’s propensity to follow promotion to championship by relegation and the fact that they are not really a championship club. Also he has no track record of success in r the Championship   No sentiment in the championship not sure his playing record with them ending 15 years ago is much of a criteria for a job there now.. I  am not as convinced as others this is a big threat.
If I am wrong and he left us again woukd we have him back a third time?.

Their Chairman - Tony Stewart - has generally been loyal to managers when they yo-yo between Championship and L1.

Although any potential manager would have to consider that Stewart is (allegedly) a very heavy, cigar-smoking 77 year old widower. I doubt the succession plan will be as seamless as Liz to Charlie when the Cohiba catches up with him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 266
Mariner93er
September 21, 2022, 7:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
I'm not as worried as others by this. If they were in league 1 I'd be concerned, but I'm struggling to think of a manager who's made the jump from league 2 to championship in recent times (I'm probably missing someone).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 266
forza ivano
September 21, 2022, 7:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
would  a team mid table in the Championship need to go for the manager of  a team mid table in league 2?

I'm sure there would be a lot higher profile managers and/or managers with more championship experience before they got to PH (fingers crossed!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 266
MuddyWaters
September 21, 2022, 7:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from forza ivano
would  a team mid table in the Championship need to go for the manager of  a team mid table in league 2?

I'm sure there would be a lot higher profile managers and/or managers with more championship experience before they got to PH (fingers crossed!)

I would imagine Mrs Hurst would appreciate her husband working closer to home.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 266
TheRealJohnLewis
September 21, 2022, 7:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Hurst's new contract is not to keep him here longer it is to compensate us and him better when he does leave.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 266
Poojah
September 21, 2022, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

This is all very depressing, so how about an alternative to Hurst - Scott Parker? Any other suggestions who The Millers might show an interest in, anybody but Hurst.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, we have absolutely no idea whether they might fancy Hurst or not. They might do, they might not.

As much as we understandably rate the guy here, you can put an entirely different slant on his managerial career armed only with facts, if you want to.

For instance, his only tangible managerial success has been in non-league. The first time around it took six attempts to get consistently one of the biggest clubs in the division promoted, and whilst he managed it first time around last season, this came after overseeing a dismal relegation from the EFL (taking over as manager half way through the season with the club above the relegation zone, eventually finishing 92nd out of 92). Oh, and a sizeable minority of fans wanted him sacked part way through the season after overseeing the club’s worst ever non-league run.

Even now, Grimsby are only 8th in League Two. Is that worthy of a job at a club precisely two divisions higher?

His one previous attempt at managing in the Championship was an abject failure. Sacked after 15 games, winning just 1 - a win ratio of 6.7%, the poorest in Ipswich’s history. Ipswich would go on to be relegated and have yet to return some three season’s later.

From there he went to Scunny, where he was sacked again. So he’s been sacked in his last two ‘completed’ stints as manager, and was realistically close to being sacked during his current tenure here.

Now, this is obviously not my own take on Hurst; clearly it’s lacking a whole heap of context, but it is nevertheless an entirely factual account of his career to date. There is an element of trying to appease fans when clubs appoint a manager, and I have no doubt that some of the above would instil some concern amongst Rotherham fans.

That’s something the Rotherham board would have to consider. And here’s something else; if he wasn’t a club legend as a player no one would even be having this conversation. They’ll have to ask themselves whether that’s a good basis on which to appoint a manager. I would argue it is not, albeit it did them no harm when they appointed Paul Warne.

I’ve given this a fair bit of thought in the last couple of hours. If Rotherham want Hurst, he’ll be gone, no question about it whatsoever. He can’t not.

But, this is my gut feel, there are enough blemishes on Hurst’s CV and not enough actual success in the football league to make Rotherham sufficiently wary. Let’s not forget, this is a precarious time for them too. I think they’ll look elsewhere, at someone with more experience higher up the pyramid. Gareth Ainsworth, off the top of my head, would probably look a safer bet on paper. Ian Evatt at Bolton, too.

So that’s me. I don’t think they’ll come after him. Not at this time. I might be wrong, who knows, but I’ll try not to lose too much sleep just yet.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 266
toontown
September 21, 2022, 7:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, we have absolutely no idea whether they might fancy Hurst or not. They might do, they might not.

As much as we understandably rate the guy here, you can put an entirely different slant on his managerial career armed only with facts, if you want to.

For instance, his only tangible managerial success has been in non-league. The first time around it took six attempts to get consistently one of the biggest clubs in the division promoted, and whilst he managed it first time around last season, this came after overseeing a dismal relegation from the EFL (taking over as manager half way through the season with the club above the relegation zone, eventually finishing 92nd out of 92). Oh, and a sizeable minority of fans wanted him sacked part way through the season after overseeing the club’s worst ever non-league run.

Even now, Grimsby are only 8th in League Two. Is that worthy of a job at a club precisely two divisions higher?

His one previous attempt at managing in the Championship was an abject failure. Sacked after 15 games, winning just 1 - a win ratio of 6.7%, the poorest in Ipswich’s history. Ipswich would go on to be relegated and have yet to return some three season’s later.

From there he went to Scunny, where he was sacked again. So he’s been sacked in his last two ‘completed’ stints as manager, and was realistically close to being sacked during his current tenure here.

Now, this is obviously not my own take on Hurst; clearly it’s lacking a whole heap of context, but it is nevertheless an entirely factual account of his career to date. There is an element of trying to appease fans when clubs appoint a manager, and I have no doubt that some of the above would instil some concern amongst Rotherham fans.

That’s something the Rotherham board would have to consider. And here’s something else; if he wasn’t a club legend as a player no one would even be having this conversation. They’ll have to ask themselves whether that’s a good basis on which to appoint a manager. I would argue it is not, albeit it did then no harm when they appointed Paul Warne.

I’ve given this a fair bit of thought in the last couple of hours. If Rotherham want Hurst, he’ll be gone, no question about it whatsoever. He can’t not.

But, this is my gut feel, there are enough blemishes on Hurst’s CV and not enough actual success in the football league to make Rotherham sufficiently wary. Let’s not forget, this is a precarious time for them too. I think they’ll look elsewhere, at someone with more experience higher up the pyramid. Gareth Ainsworth, off the top of my head, would probably look a safer bet on paper. Ian Evatt at Bolton, too.

So that’s me. I don’t think they’ll come after him. Not at this time. I might be wrong, who knows, but I’ll try not to lose too much sleep just yet.

Excellent post poojah and I agree that if they call he'll go, no doubt, but I think it's a lot more likely they won't call than they will.

I must admit this very scenario has worried me ever since I listened to the podcast about the Rotherham and Oxford managers. Wearne seems very down to earth and so does the Rotherham chairman and so does Hurst, he just might think its a match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 266
ginnywings
September 21, 2022, 8:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Poojah

That’s something the Rotherham board would have to consider. And here’s something else; if he wasn’t a club legend as a player no one would even be having this conversation. They’ll have to ask themselves whether that’s a good basis on which to appoint a manager. I would argue it is not, albeit it did them no harm when they appointed Paul Warne.

Have you finished playing good cop, bad cop?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 266
ginnywings
September 21, 2022, 8:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
My thoughts remain as they always do in these situations, in that I won't lose any sleep over it. Players come and go, as do managers. While they are here, they get my support and when they move on, they are no longer of interest.

Saying that, he's got a good gig here and he would need to think long and hard about going elsewhere, given what has transpired with previous jobs. That's even if this has any legs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 266
Sammo
September 21, 2022, 8:17pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +171
Isn’t Rob Scott head of recruitment at Rotherham? Would they really want to be working with each other again?

I’d like to think Hurst would stay and rebuff any approach. He has the set up he has always wanted here, the board have backed him in the transfer market and was backed by the board during the bad run we had last season when other clubs would have made a change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 266
bradzmilne
September 21, 2022, 8:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,428
Gold Stars: 30
Might be missing something here…. And the deal appears to be done.

But why is Warne going to Derby? Is their new owner worth a few quid?

Rotherham flirting with play offs in Championship. Derby (albeit a bigger club) the division below and no guarantee of promotion in a very competitive league.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 266
Rodley Mariner
September 21, 2022, 8:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
If Rotherham decide they want him and if he goes then I'm sure we'll have done what we can to keep him. He's got a new contract, much improved infrastructure and supportive owners. And those things are why I'd be sorry to see him go but confident we'd recruit well to replace him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 266
Mariner_09
September 21, 2022, 8:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Let’s get one thing straight, if Rotherham come calling he’ll be gone faster than you can say keep us shape. The question is would Rotherham want him? It’s something of a risk on a number of levels. It’s a big jump, and despite their good start you’d still expect Rotherham to have overachieved to stay up. He’s completely unproven at that level, 15 games at that basket case that was Ipswich can’t be read into. He’s an absolute legend there and appointing him risks tarnishing that legacy, who’d want to kill that mystique?

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 266
LN8Mariner
September 21, 2022, 9:06pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +329
Gold Stars: 9
The big difference now is that we are not a basket case of a club! I think, given the backing the custodians are giving, that we would get a far better selection of candidates than we’ve ever had and (whisper quietly) may even be able to approach clubs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 266
TownSNAFU5
September 21, 2022, 9:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
As others have commented,  the Club is in a strong position now across the board and moving forward at a good pace.   It has a much better reputation than in recent years.

If it came to it, the Club can absorb the loss of a very good manager.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 266
acko338
September 21, 2022, 9:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Scott and Hurst Mark 2.

Is that realistic after the last joint debacle?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 266
tanga_the_indestructible
September 21, 2022, 11:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 5
The rumour mill says Gareth Ainsworth to Millers.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 266
Poojah
September 21, 2022, 11:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Hurst gets repeated mentions on the Rovrum forum but I think it’s this kind of sentiment, right or wrong, that would put off most Championship suitors.

Quoted Text
Hurst also has a bad record in yhe championship with ipswhich.

Did he even last a season.

So if we need promotion from league 2 or the conference he is our man

https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38295780

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 266
forza ivano
September 21, 2022, 11:49pm

Exile
Poojah's response (as usual) is spot on.

i think the mention of Ainsworth makes far more sense. He will be ambitious and can't take Wickscum very much further. Rotherham are at least 3 times the size and he'd have a realistic chance of making them a competitive Championship side. Sign the right contract and you're made for life
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 266
It Bites
September 22, 2022, 7:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,257
Rotherham won't take a punt on a past hero . They will now want a manager who is proven in the championship imo
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 266
Brummie Codfather
September 22, 2022, 7:58am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Approval: +878
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Poojah

Haven’t you missed probably his most successful job at Shrewsbury, the reason he got the job at Ipswich?  I’d be looking at Hurst if I were at Rotherham and could see why Hurst would go.  
I’d be gutted if he left, I think he’s a brilliant manager but as others have said we at least have a good set up now to support a new manager now if it happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 266
Davec
September 22, 2022, 8:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
I don't think we need to be worrying just yet as I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Hurst will be approached, they may want somebody with a better track record, not for a minute am I saying Hurst record is poor, but this time last year after a very poor spell at Ipswich, average spell at Scunny and a very poor win ratio with us in our relegation season Hurst's stock was quite low, I do accept he can't be blamed entirely for all that but the stat's still remain the same regardless who is to blame. Hurst stock is certainly higher now than it was but is it higher than when he left Shrewsbury? No I don't think so as he left Shrewsbury after making the league 1 play off final.

Hurst is a great manager but I think Rotheram will at this time will look elsewhere for the reasons I mentioned above
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 8:34am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Brummie Codfather

Haven’t you missed probably his most successful job at Shrewsbury, the reason he got the job at Ipswich?  I’d be looking at Hurst if I were at Rotherham and could see why Hurst would go.  
I’d be gutted if he left, I think he’s a brilliant manager but as others have said we at least have a good set up now to support a new manager now if it happens.

Purposely, yes. I was giving you the kind of skewed perspective that fans can take when they don’t like something and try to find the negative. Sticking in that vein, for “probably his most successful job” he still left them in the division in which he found them. Nothing tangible was achieved.

There are certainly some aspects of Hurst’s career that would make a Championship club with faint Premier League aspirations nervous in my opinion. Is that wishful thinking on my part? I don’t know, I’m trying to be as objective as possible.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 266
MarinerDevil
September 22, 2022, 9:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
We're in the exact same position as we were when he last left us, it's almost like it's written...

That's the reality of being a lower league club, isn't it? We're low in the food chain. The good news is that Rotherham tend to stick with their managers for a while, so if they don't go for Hurst this time they shouldn't be bothering us again.

I hope Hurst stays and gets us into League One in the next 2/3 years, which is what most fans see as our natural position in the pyramid. He will then have completed the turnaround of the club and can then have another crack at a Championship job. Here's hoping.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 266
Surrey97
September 22, 2022, 9:30am
Lager Top Drinker
Ainsworth quashed the rumours linking him with the job in today’s presser.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 266
Garth
September 22, 2022, 9:35am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Pooja says I'd like to be as objective possible.

So do I
If Rotherham want him as their manager, you would not see his bottom for dust, lives there, no daily commute, higher in league status and home town hero in the making.
To think he would not go is extremely naive and silly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 266
Meza
September 22, 2022, 9:39am

Special Brew Drinker
So if PH does leave and i wouldn't begrudge him if he does, atleast with a new contract signed we'll get some form of compensation, but lets assume he has gone, i have no idea who i'd want next.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 266
DB
September 22, 2022, 9:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Meza
So if PH does leave and i wouldn't begrudge him if he does, atleast with a new contract signed we'll get some form of compensation, but lets assume he has gone, i have no idea who i'd want next.

And that is the problem. Does JS & AP have a plan B?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 266
Meza
September 22, 2022, 9:58am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from DB

I'd like Grovesy to be given another chance but might be a bit risky to some.  I'd prefer PH to stay though.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 266
Mariner_09
September 22, 2022, 10:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from DB

I'd be shocked if JS and AP don't have a Plan B, C and D already. Maybe a good question to ask on the podcast tonight? Safe to say if Hursty does go, we wouldn't be shopping at Lidl anymore (in managerial terms) and we'd be in a position to approach some top non league managers like Ardley or Garrard.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 10:09am
Vodka Drinker
Let’s go easy on the talk of new managers. The king ain’t dead yet (and in all likelihood, ain’t dying anytime soon).

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 266
Abdul19
September 22, 2022, 10:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mariner_09

I'd be shocked if JS and AP don't have a Plan B, C and D already.  

Same.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 266
diehardmariner
September 22, 2022, 10:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
On paper Warne leaving a Championship club for one in a bit of a rebuild in League One is a shock but after listening to the Moment of Truth podcast you could almost see that he was itching to try something new.  At various points he questioned how far he could take Rotherham, even prior to their promotion last season.  He often pondered about their yo-yo status and I think he recognised the natural ceiling that Rotherham have.

At Derby he may recognise that it might be a step back but the potential is far greater and realistically should be looking at a club with ambitions of returning to the upper reaches of the Championship with intent to get back into the Premier League.

Can't for the life of me think Hurst won't be on their radar.  If for nothing else he's known to them, that alone will get him so far through the door.  Fair enough his record at the level Rotherham are operating at is debatable, but objectively the two blots on his copybook have come at basket case clubs.  It's no secret he was expected to do a hatchet job on the playing budget at Ipswich and there wasn't a manger in the world who would have had success there.  At Scunthorpe they've actually regressed dramatically since his departure.  Sacked, yes.  But scratch the surface ever so slightly and you see an owner who doesn't have a clue how to run a football club and is running it into the ground.  That blot is easily written off.

The Rotherham fans will take the Warne departure to heart.  It depends how their chairman wants to respond. He'll want to bring a feel-good back to the club and bringing in a modern day legend could be a way of doing that.  

I am worried.  Hurst has been the consistent in our successes of the last decade.  We've got promoted twice because of him more than anyone else.  He's built and rebuilt the footballing side of this club to its strongest position in over two decades.  Without doubt 1878 will have contingency plans in place, but I'm still worried.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 266
Theimperialcoroner
September 22, 2022, 10:51am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,258
Gold Stars: 102
I do think we have a different view of PH than the outside world does. We absolutely see his value as we know all of the context around what he has done here. Outsiders do not have that context and as such will in all likelihood be put off from an approach just yet. I’d say that this time round it’s too soon for Rotherham to take a punt, then next time they change their manager it could we’ll be a different story and they’d come knocking. Thing is though then, where might our respective clubs be sitting in the food chain?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
On paper Warne leaving a Championship club for one in a bit of a rebuild in League One is a shock but after listening to the Moment of Truth podcast you could almost see that he was itching to try something new.  At various points he questioned how far he could take Rotherham, even prior to their promotion last season.  He often pondered about their yo-yo status and I think he recognised the natural ceiling that Rotherham have.

At Derby he may recognise that it might be a step back but the potential is far greater and realistically should be looking at a club with ambitions of returning to the upper reaches of the Championship with intent to get back into the Premier League.

Can't for the life of me think Hurst won't be on their radar.  If for nothing else he's known to them, that alone will get him so far through the door.  Fair enough his record at the level Rotherham are operating at is debatable, but objectively the two blots on his copybook have come at basket case clubs.  It's no secret he was expected to do a hatchet job on the playing budget at Ipswich and there wasn't a manger in the world who would have had success there.  At Scunthorpe they've actually regressed dramatically since his departure.  Sacked, yes.  But scratch the surface ever so slightly and you see an owner who doesn't have a clue how to run a football club and is running it into the ground.  That blot is easily written off.

The Rotherham fans will take the Warne departure to heart.  It depends how their chairman wants to respond. He'll want to bring a feel-good back to the club and bringing in a modern day legend could be a way of doing that.  

I am worried.  Hurst has been the consistent in our successes of the last decade.  We've got promoted twice because of him more than anyone else.  He's built and rebuilt the footballing side of this club to its strongest position in over two decades.  Without doubt 1878 will have contingency plans in place, but I'm still worried.

It would be interesting to know what kind of deterrent was placed in Hurst’s and Doig’s freshly signed contracts. If there is a sizeable buyout clause in there that may in itself dissuade Rotherham when there are other, arguably more proven at that level managers available.

Rotherham fans seem to be thinking more in terms of the likes of Mark Warburton (whose Championship record is remarkably solid), Carlos Corberan (fresh from his stint at Olympiakos) and even Neil Warnock (who had a successful stint there a few years ago).

It’s a difficult one because you can quite easily create a positive or negative narrative on Hurst just by adding or removing little bits of context. My gut feel is just that I don’t think he will quite have the Championship chops Rotherham are looking for.

I really hope I’m right.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 266
quebec38
September 22, 2022, 11:12am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Thoughts on Hurst’s career so far:

Pre-Grimsby - good

10-16 Grimsby - good again. Made the play-offs 4 seasons running with quite poor backing. You’re in the lap of the gods in the play-offs and we finally (thankfully) made it up.

Shrewsbury - outstanding. From the bottom to promotion chasers and a cup final in 1 and a half years.

Ipswich - poor. I can see why he got a shot there and I’ve ranked it as poor but tbf he wasn’t given time to turn things around either.

Scunthorpe - poor. Massive caveat however that the club was screwed so his hands were probably tied.

Grimsby 19/20 - present - outstanding.

I think he may have a little bit to do to repair his reputation for Championship suitors just yet however I wouldn’t be surprised if Rotherham sounded him out either. The Scott thing might go against him too although maybe they could go for Hurst and remove Scott? It could also be possible that they work together together again.

I am gonna stick my neck out and say nothing to worry about just yet. If we continue as we are and Warne’s replacement doesn’t work out, then I think we should be concerned.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 266
TownSNAFU5
September 22, 2022, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Hurst perhaps has more highs and lows than many managers.  Starting with Boston United.

Credit where credit is due.  At Shrewsbury though what he achieved was exceptional, and in quick time.  He took Shrewsbury (a small club for Division One) from bottom of the league to top of the league in 18 months.

Even with a small squad Shrewsbury should still probably have got automatic promotion that season.  However, there were too many cup games and distractions towards the end of the season and they
Ultimately just well short.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 266
Meza
September 22, 2022, 11:26am

Special Brew Drinker
His Ipswich role wouldn't have surprised me if they had a director of football and PH wasn't fully in control like he was at Shrewsbury and Town.  Similar to the Cowleys were they failed at Huddersfield (and again maybe because of a director of football).  

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Talksport EFL correspondent reporting that Warne is to be announced at Derby “imminently”. At least there should be some certainty on that aspect sooner rather than later.

Some rumblings that assistant Richie Barker may remain as interim boss to have a crack at a permanent opportunity, rather than following Warne to Derby. That could mean the saga drags on for some time.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 266
Maringer
September 22, 2022, 11:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,645
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Poojah
Some rumblings that assistant Richie Barker may remain as interim boss to have a crack at a permanent opportunity, rather than following Warne to Derby. That could mean the saga drags on for some time.

Let's hope he does well!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 266
Les Brechin
September 22, 2022, 11:58am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Poojah
Talksport EFL correspondent reporting that Warne is to be announced at Derby “imminently”. At least there should be some certainty on that aspect sooner rather than later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62986369

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 266
Jarmo.Is.God
September 22, 2022, 12:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Meza

I'd like Grovesy to be given another chance but might be a bit risky to some.  I'd prefer PH to stay though.

Hasn't he recently been sacked by Gloucester? not done great at all.

I hope PH sees the long-term project and stays, and i think we might well have a chance of that happening!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 266
Northbank Mariner
September 22, 2022, 12:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
I've been thinking about this a fair bit this morning...
Would Hurst want the gig?...
Yes, he did well at the shrews yet the fan base never took to him, he failed at Ipswich and Scunny, again never got the fan base onside.
Came back here, to a fan base that held the "ear cupping" against him, managed to turn what can only be described a floundering oil tanker around and got the love of the fans back...
Would he risk going to Rotherham, where he's got legendary status, to see himself potentially fall flat on his face, see his stock as a manger fall through the floor and his adoration of the fans vanish?....
It's all about opinions but right now, I'm not sure he'd be interested.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 266
Hagrid
September 22, 2022, 12:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I've been thinking about this a fair bit this morning...
Would Hurst want the gig?...
Yes, he did well at the shrews yet the fan base never took to him, he failed at Ipswich and Scunny, again never got the fan base onside.
Came back here, to a fan base that held the "ear cupping" against him, managed to turn what can only be described a floundering oil tanker around and got the love of the fans back...
Would he risk going to Rotherham, where he's got legendary status, to see himself potentially fall flat on his face, see his stock as a manger fall through the floor and his adoration of the fans vanish?....
It's all about opinions but right now, I'm not sure he'd be interested.

shrews fans took to him mate, they just wernt happy with the way he departed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 266
Son of Cod
September 22, 2022, 12:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Official Fishy Meltdown© status imminent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 266
HertsGTFC
September 22, 2022, 12:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
The rumour mill says Gareth Ainsworth to Millers.

That would be a good appointment for them as he’s a good manager and a top bloke, it would be an absolutely brilliant appointment for us as it closes off the vacancy with someone who has a reputation for stability & longevity.

Lots of really good posts above. Clearly Rotherham is in Paul’s heart and from the outside it looks like a decent club with good ownership. If the opportunity came his way then I’d be in the camp if wishing him all the best and thanks for putting us in better shape on and off the field, managers and players move around that’s how football works.

Some things for me ….

- He is invested in GTFC, maybe not to the level of Rotherham but I guess to a level that would mean a move would be well thought out, as ever.

- He is 100% backed and left alone to get on with it by JS/AP and DC.

- Also we had a really bad run last season and lesser owners (as we’ve seen down the M180) would have pulled the trigger, Hurst strikes me as someone who does not forget loyalty and the importance of unity.

- What can he realistically achieve at Rotherham? In theory they “could” get up into the Prem but it’s more likely any manager would spend more time looking at what’s going on below them in the table rather than above.

- What could he achieve at Town? League 1 is possible and quite quickly, going higher may take some building but he’d be the one building it, his way from bottom up.

- I’d be amazed if he’d work with Scott again in any capacity, so if he did go shouty would need to get his CV out there quickly.

- The final thing is why the f**k would the manager of Rotherham leave to go to Derby, sodomist club on paper but one that has been a basket case for years.

Like I say when PH leaves Town as he inevitably will I’ll wish him luck

Oh yeah one final thing, when we do require a new manager I’d be 100% confident that our owners would bring in the best they could, unlike previous “custodians” as they know you get what you pay for and they’ll be savvy enough to do their homework & due diligence.

I don’t want to see a change but this club is in the safest hands it’s been in this millennium to manage a change if it was required.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 266
MarinerDevil
September 22, 2022, 12:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rotherham fan with zero #ITK credentials reckons Hurst doesn't want it. Good enough for me.

https://twitter.com/corden_blur88/status/1572878602471112704?t=w4WbY5NPlbEcHilmvcusSw&s=19
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 266
HertsGTFC
September 22, 2022, 12:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I do think we have a different view of PH than the outside world does. We absolutely see his value as we know all of the context around what he has done here. Outsiders do not have that context and as such will in all likelihood be put off from an approach just yet. I’d say that this time round it’s too soon for Rotherham to take a punt, then next time they change their manager it could we’ll be a different story and they’d come knocking. Thing is though then, where might our respective clubs be sitting in the food chain?

Sensible post this, not all clubs have Town levels of romamtasism about former players . He left Rotherham 14 years ago.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Rotherham fan with zero #ITK credentials reckons Hurst doesn't want it. Good enough for me.

https://twitter.com/corden_blur88/status/1572878602471112704?t=w4WbY5NPlbEcHilmvcusSw&s=19

That would be quite something if so.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 266
goldenfish
September 22, 2022, 1:03pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +212
We couldn’t begrudge Hurst if he did take it anyway … he owes us noting and we owe him nothing … how employment goes …  he should do what is best for him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 266
FPVmariner
September 22, 2022, 1:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Fast forward to Saturday afternoon, if we go a couple of goals down half of those currently doing great impressions of drama queens will want him sacked.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 266
forza ivano
September 22, 2022, 1:05pm

Exile
he might or might not be ITK , but he called this one 2 months ago!
https://twitter.com/corden_blur88/status/1548402729688518658

interesting comments about the chairman - PH will no doubt know the whole picture of the state of the club. If the chairman is abit difficult to work with (& there's the problem of Scott being there) then staying where he is might not be a bad option
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 1:24pm
Vodka Drinker

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 266
RonMariner
September 22, 2022, 1:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Gold Stars: 226
Bit rough on Rosenoir getting the sack after inheriting a basket case squad and getting them to the fringes of the playoffs. I wonder if Derby are about to go gung ho in financial terms again. It went so well for them last time.

I would be gutted to see Hurst go. He clearly has a great reputation among Rotherham fans but on the other hand they are a club on the fringes of the Championship playoffs and presumably have aspirations to get into the Premier league. Would they really look to appoint a manager with little championship experience, all of it bad?

Yes he has performed brilliantly in the lower leagues but I would imagine Rotherham would want a more experienced championship manager right now,

As it happens I know of one guy that is currently available.  He has guided two clubs into the prem. He lives in Bristol but will no doubt sell his house and move in order to create a legacy up north.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 266
Grantham_Mariner
September 22, 2022, 1:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,195
Gold Stars: 51
[tweet]1572926617793568768[/tweet]

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 1:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Coaching team have followed Warne to Pride Park, so it will be an external appointment at Rotherham by the looks of things.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 266
Son of Cod
September 22, 2022, 1:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
Bit rough on Rosenoir getting the sack after inheriting a basket case squad and getting them to the fringes of the playoffs. I wonder if Derby are about to go gung ho in financial terms again. It went so well for them last time.

They signed Conor Hourihane, David McGoldrick and James Chester on the same day last summer so they're already going gung ho in financial terms. League One is very competitive at the top, you've only got to look at how long it took Sunderland to get out of it to see that chucking money at it doesn't always work. I can see why Warne would leave, but he's gone to one of the highest pressure jobs in English football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 266
Mariner_09
September 22, 2022, 1:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
The Rotherham statement doesn't mention an interim manager, maybe they've already got someone lined up?

Private Message
Reply: 78 - 266
RonMariner
September 22, 2022, 2:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
If the worst happens, and Hurst does go, th we Solihull m as manager Neil Yardley would be top of my list.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 266
Macca_D
September 22, 2022, 2:11pm
Coke Drinker
Approval: -59
Gold Stars: 3
I reckon was more to the new contracts them I originally thought.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 266
forza ivano
September 22, 2022, 2:18pm

Exile
the odds (aka the wild guesses ) are already out , and no mention of PH

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/rotherham-united

and  abit more info here from the RUFC tweeter

https://twitter.com/corden_blur88/status/1572928173058424833
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 266
crusty ole pie
September 22, 2022, 2:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from RonMariner

I would be gutted to see Hurst go. He clearly has a great reputation among Rotherham fans but on the other hand they are a club on the fringes of the Championship playoffs and presumably have aspirations to get into the Premier league. Would they really look to appoint a manager with little championship experience, all of it bad?

Yes he has performed brilliantly in the lower leagues but I would imagine Rotherham would want a more experienced championship manager right now,

As it happens I know of one guy that is currently available.  He has guided two clubs into the prem. He lives in Bristol but will no doubt sell his house and move in order to create a legacy up north.

And don’t forget the 100 grand to throw in the kitty
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 266
HertsGTFC
September 22, 2022, 2:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
Coaching team have followed Warne to Pride Park, so it will be an external appointment at Rotherham by the looks of things.

Am appointment that will  red to be made at pace no doubt.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 2:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Really not a fan of these cringey open letters. Let’s hope we’re not due one…

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2022/september/read--an-open-letter-from-paul-warne/

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 266
Jarmo.Is.God
September 22, 2022, 2:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
IF we did lose him, Hasselbaink wouldn't be a bad shout
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 2:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

We’re not losing him.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 266
Mariner_09
September 22, 2022, 2:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

We’re not losing him.

I'm increasingly coming to that view. The names being banded about are much 'sexier' if you like, than Hursty.

Private Message
Reply: 87 - 266
headingly_mariner
September 22, 2022, 3:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,393
Gold Stars: 120
I'm sure if he wanted it, he'd probably get it. Well respected and hugely developed since his first spell with us.

People can see that where he struggled are crazy clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 266
Meza
September 22, 2022, 3:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
i agree with RonMariner, Ardley is very similar to Hurst and has done wonders on their budget.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 266
Son of Cod
September 22, 2022, 3:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Doesn't sound like the Millers fans fancy Hurst at all, so let's hope their owner puts a bit of value in that...

https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38295780&page=13
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 266
Mariner_09
September 22, 2022, 3:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Meza
i agree with RonMariner, Ardley is very similar to Hurst and has done wonders on their budget.

I'm not sure their budget is as relatively small as people think. It's widely reported that Barnett rejected us in favour of them because they offered more money. Sbarra recently signed a new 3 year deal, to stay in non league despite alleged L1 interest. He's done very well and they play excellent football but I wouldn't say it's a fairtytale.

Private Message
Reply: 91 - 266
LH
September 22, 2022, 3:28pm

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,567
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Really?!
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 3:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Anyone know who’s doing today’s presser with Hurst (or a replacement stooge)? I know Matt Dean had been doing them but the last couple of weeks it’s been that slightly shifty looking guy from the Telegraph.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 266
Son of Cod
September 22, 2022, 3:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

I'm not sure their budget is as relatively small as people think. It's widely reported that Barnett rejected us in favour of them because they offered more money. Sbarra recently signed a new 3 year deal, to stay in non league despite alleged L1 interest. He's done very well and they play excellent football but I wouldn't say it's a fairtytale.

Yeah, Solihull have a ridiculous budget for a club of their size. Wouldn't be surprised if their budget this season is bigger than ours was last season. Not just Sbarra and Barnett either. They priced Dallas out of any interest by slapping a big price on his head and signed Josh Kelly from Maidenhead who walks into any side in that division and was easily ready to step up L2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 266
FPVmariner
September 22, 2022, 3:42pm
Beer Drinker
Fatty Evans,complete twàt but it’s hard to argue against his record.

I’ll go with…..let me see….. 22 red crosses for this comment 👍🏻
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 266
Meza
September 22, 2022, 3:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

i get that but i could sign say 3 players on 3k a week and the rest on 800-1k as an example i very much doubt all their players are on the same as Sbarra etc.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 266
MarinerDevil
September 22, 2022, 3:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Hurst doesn't rule himself out, just says that he's happy here.

https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1572958716244250624?t=N8YQZDbh8CTArC8vmycUaA&s=19
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 3:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil

https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1572958716244250624?t=N8YQZDbh8CTArC8vmycUaA&s=19

Yep, that’s not a no. It’s an awkward question to be asked, understandably, but he certainly does his best there to deflect the conversation in a different direction.

I would say on the basis of that interview that the tweet from the supposedly ITK Rotherham fan suggesting he’s not interested is wide if the mark, or simply made up.

“It’s merely hypothetical, no contact has been made” is probably the key line in that interview. In effect, he’d be interested if they came knocking, but then we knew that, didn’t we?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 266
GollyGTFC
September 22, 2022, 3:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
Rotherham might try to tempt Neil Warnock out of retirement for the rest of the season. A safe pair of hands who should be able to avoid a post-Warne slum towards the bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 99 - 266
HertsGTFC
September 22, 2022, 4:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil

On the back of that I’d be very surprised indeed. If they where keen on him they’d have made contact by now and he would not be doing the pre match stuff.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 266
Meza
September 22, 2022, 4:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Also says Ryan Bennett is training with us

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 266
MarinerDevil
September 22, 2022, 4:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Meza
Also says Ryan Bennett is training with us

Just for fitness at the moment, but could be with a view to something more.

https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1572963559755157504
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 266
mimma
September 22, 2022, 4:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Rotherham find another manager, Hurst stays. Then next month Sheff. Wed or whoever, sack their manager, and the whole Hurst leaving scenario starts off all over again.
Clubs are prepared to pay hansomly for a successful manager and his team, so every time a manager is sacked the whole thing will kick off again. It's the problem we as a smaller club will always face.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 266
Mariner_09
September 22, 2022, 4:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Rotherham find another manager, Hurst stays. Then next month Sheff. Wed or whoever, sack their manager, and the whole Hurst leaving scenario starts off all over again.
Clubs are prepared to pay hansomly for a successful manager and his team, so every time a manager is sacked the whole thing will kick off again. It's the problem we as a smaller club will always face.

Wednesday would actually spook me more, less of a jump and the same geographical and financial benefits to Rotherham for him.

Private Message
Reply: 104 - 266
pontoonlew
September 22, 2022, 4:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Whilst I think Hurst would be mad to leave again after last time (and his record in the Championship won’t be attractive for them) , his answers in that interview didn’t exactly fill me with hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 266
Surrey97
September 22, 2022, 4:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
He’s up to 6/1 and 3rd favourite for the job on Sky bet now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 266
ska face
September 22, 2022, 4:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Hurst to Rotherham and Bennett in as manager.
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 266
FPVmariner
September 22, 2022, 4:31pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from ska face

This is going to be disappointing for you but it seems we share a brain cell.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 266
DaleH
September 22, 2022, 4:34pm
Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
I would be gutted if Paul leaves to take the Rotherham job, and naturally he said as much as he could in the interview. Let's face it, no manager in their career would openly rule themselves out of a job prospect at a higher level. Especially if it is also at a club where you are a legend and a club that you love. Plus I would imagine that at some stage in his career, it's likely that he will return to Rotherham as their manager, assuming of course that their owners view Paul as a good prospect for them.

My only hope is, that in the event Paul was to leave to go to Rotherham, that in the interest of continuity, Doigy is offered the chance to manage us. Chris has already gone on record in saying that eventually he would like to be a number 1 instead of a number 2, and I would think it is only a matter of time too, until he gets a chance to fill the hot seat somewhere as a manager.

For now though, I remain nervous but hopeful, that Paul remains our manager.

Dale
#UTM

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 266
LH
September 22, 2022, 4:35pm

Quoted from ska face

Carl Magnay for me if Hurst goes.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 266
HertsGTFC
September 22, 2022, 4:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

The first bit maybe, the 2nd bit I’d be amazed if our owners went for someone with zero management experience but it’s great humour.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 4:47pm
Vodka Drinker
5/1 second favourite with Skybet. Gareth Ainsworth favourite at 3/1.

I’m lumping on Hurst. I’ve never won a fúcking bet in my life.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 266
OddShapedBalls
September 22, 2022, 4:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from ska face

Hurst to Rotherham and signs Bennett as his first act more like lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 266
Abdul19
September 22, 2022, 4:50pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from LH

Knows the club.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 266
Meza
September 22, 2022, 4:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
What about Tommy Widdrington ?

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 266
mimma
September 22, 2022, 4:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Why do people bang on about ex Town players when we need someone?
How many ex players have been successful after leaving us? Very few is the answer, I would guess less than 10% of all the players that have left us.
It's such a small percentage that it should rule out ex players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 266
DaleH
September 22, 2022, 4:58pm
Beer Drinker
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from mimma
How many ex players have been successful after leaving us? Very few is the answer, I would guess less than 10% of all the players that have left us.

Exactly this

John McDermott it is then for me  

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 5:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma

Personally I think the FA should introduce a rule banning clubs from appointing former players as managers with immediate effect.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 266
Rodley Mariner
September 22, 2022, 5:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Kevin Drinkell did a good job at Falkirk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 266
jimgtfc
September 22, 2022, 5:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
Doesn’t it speak volumes of the excellent job he’s done here that he’s being linked with a championship club, ex player or not. Would anyone have thought this link possible 12 to 18 months ago?

Well done Paul, and keep it up!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 266
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
September 22, 2022, 5:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Neil Yardley is the man we require to maintain our March to league 1

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 266
pontoonlew
September 22, 2022, 5:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LH

A shame to see red crosses for such an excellent nod to Fishy Folklore
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 266
FPVmariner
September 22, 2022, 5:13pm
Beer Drinker

What is the basis for this.  He’s at a club who have plenty of cash due to selling land to Jaguar Landrover, he lost out in the playoffs last season.  What else is on his CV?
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 266
Barrattstander
September 22, 2022, 5:15pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 14
Rob Scott remains as head of recruitment at Rotherham.......wonder if he has any say on the appointment of a new manager....could be awkward.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 266
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
September 22, 2022, 5:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from FPVmariner

What is the basis for this.  He’s at a club who have plenty of cash due to selling land to Jaguar Landrover, he lost out in the playoffs last season.  What else is on his CV?

He took Wimbledon to League 1 via the play offs in 2015-16 with no dough

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 266
sydney
September 22, 2022, 5:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
If PH goes, let’s hope we make a better fist this time of selecting a new candidate
I would have hoped that what we are building here has more promise for him than keeping Rotherham from been Bi - Annually relegated
Think Long Term PH as you have fallen for the lure of LG1 and Championship B4 and it didn’t quite work out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 266
Tommy
September 22, 2022, 5:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
I'd be a little more worried if it was Sheffield Wednesday who were looking for a new boss. PH may have a history at Rotherham but he's a Wednesday fan.

That said, in the interview clip posted in this thread Hurst is very careful with his words doesn't rule it out. My reading between the lines interpretation is that he won't be applying for it, but if they approached him he'd consider it. Which in my eyes is fair enough. He could end up speaking to them and choosing to stay here, in the knowledge that he has control over everything on the football side here and has owners who have complete trust/faith in him (and as last season showed, won't sack him if we go through a very poor run of form).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 266
Rodley Mariner
September 22, 2022, 5:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
I'd be a little more worried if it was Sheffield Wednesday who were looking for a new boss. PH may have a history at Rotherham but he's a Wednesday fan.

That said, in the interview clip posted in this thread Hurst is very careful with his words doesn't rule it out. My reading between the lines interpretation is that he won't be applying for it, but if they approached him he'd consider it. Which in my eyes is fair enough. He could end up speaking to them and choosing to stay here, in the knowledge that he has control over everything on the football side here and has owners who have complete trust/faith in him (and as last season showed, won't sack him if we go through a very poor run of form).

The other thing is you can understand somebody looking at Wednesday and thinking 'I should be able to take them higher'. You've got to have some real inner belief to look at Rotherham, in 8th place in the Championship, and think 'I can take them higher'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 266
HistonMariner
September 22, 2022, 5:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +558
Gold Stars: 13
Hope, seriously hope Hurst stays to finish the job which his well assembled squad I think could just
get us a little further.  After which his stock would rocket.

If, and I repeat if it does happen, I would be quite content with Anthony Limbrick - if for no other reason that Hollowhead threw him under the bus. Really nice guy who pulled the dressing room round after Jolley and has done well at All Saints.
Logged Online
Site Private Message
Reply: 129 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 5:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

The other thing is you can understand somebody looking at Wednesday and thinking 'I should be able to take them higher'. You've got to have some real inner belief to look at Rotherham, in 8th place in the Championship, and think 'I can take them higher'.

I'm sure Hurst would look at either opportunity and think "I should be able to take my bank balance higher". Not the only consideration by a long shot, but it's difficult to turn down the option of a significant increase in salary whatever industry you work in.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 266
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
September 22, 2022, 5:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Could we get graham alexander or is that pure blasphemy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 266
MuddyWaters
September 22, 2022, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Could we get graham alexander or is that pure blasphemy

Ben Davies for me.
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 266
Rodley Mariner
September 22, 2022, 5:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I'm sure Hurst would look at either opportunity and think "I should be able to take my bank balance higher". Not the only consideration by a long shot, but it's difficult to turn down the option of a significant increase in salary whatever industry you work in.

I think he'll be pretty sensible and think longer term as well though. Not like a sacking after a year is going to leave him financially set for life. At the same time a job in the Championship on double his current salary would be highly appealing I'm sure. I feel pretty relaxed about it. If he goes I'd be sorry but we have good owners and are a much more attractive option than in the past.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 6:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I think he'll be pretty sensible and think longer term as well though. Not like a sacking after a year is going to leave him financially set for life. At the same time a job in the Championship on double his current salary would be highly appealing I'm sure. I feel pretty relaxed about it. If he goes I'd be sorry but we have good owners and are a much more attractive option than in the past.

I would estimate that a 3 year deal at Rotherham would be worth somewhere in the region of £1m - £1.5m in total. Again, guesswork but I would expect his deal here would be worth somewhere between £125k and £175k per year.

Whether it would 'set him up' or not is up for debate, we'll all have our own definitions of what that means, but it would still be mightily hard to turn down. Especially with the price of fuel...

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 266
DB
September 22, 2022, 6:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Sky bet don't have Hurst in the top 8, which is a relief.

Next Rotherham manager odds (via Sky Bet)
Richard Wood - 6/1
Mark Bonner - 7/1
David Wagner - 8/1
Karl Robinson - 9/1
Carlos Corberan - 10/1
Darren Ferguson - 10/1
Duncan Ferguson - 11/1
Michael Carrick - 11/1
Odds correct at 1545 BST (22/09/22)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 266
headingly_mariner
September 22, 2022, 6:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

Richard Wood - 6/1
Mark Bonner - 7/1
David Wagner - 8/1
Karl Robinson - 9/1
Carlos Corberan - 10/1
Darren Ferguson - 10/1
Duncan Ferguson - 11/1
Michael Carrick - 11/1

He's 5/1 second favourite on skybet.

I've just put some money on him after listening to that interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 266
MuddyWaters
September 22, 2022, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

Richard Wood - 6/1
Mark Bonner - 7/1
David Wagner - 8/1
Karl Robinson - 9/1
Carlos Corberan - 10/1
Darren Ferguson - 10/1
Duncan Ferguson - 11/1
Michael Carrick - 11/1

You missed out Ainsworth 11/4 and Hurst 5/1.
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 6:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You missed out Ainsworth 11/4 and Hurst 5/1.

Yeah but apart from the top 2 neither of them are in the top 8.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 266
ginnywings
September 22, 2022, 6:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic

You want Ardley, but don't know his correct name.  

It's amusing really, as 9 months ago, most Town fans would have gladly shown Hurst where the exit is.

Funny old game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 266
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
September 22, 2022, 7:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

You want Ardley, but don't know his correct name.  

It's amusing really, as 9 months ago, most Town fans would have gladly shown Hurst where the exit is.

Funny old game.

I do apologise Mr beetroot sandwich eater

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 7:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

And many boards at many clubs should have done so too. Had we done that, is it an exaggeration to suggest his career in management might have been over?

Funny old game as you say, and frighteningly fine margins at times.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 266
ginnywings
September 22, 2022, 7:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic

I do apologise Mr beetroot sandwich eater

If that is a put down, I have no idea what it means.

I like beetroot, but never tried it in a sandwich.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 266
MuddyWaters
September 22, 2022, 7:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

If that is a put down, I have no idea what it means.

I like beetroot, but never tried it in a sandwich.

Beautiful with cheese.
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 266
Surrey97
September 22, 2022, 7:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Really hope I’m wrong but the feeling I’m getting about all this isn’t a good one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 266
chaos33
September 22, 2022, 7:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I think:

Hurst will apply surely…and you couldn’t possibly blame him. I just think that Rotherham will want a bigger name to signal their intent and that Hurst’s stats won’t be as good as other people’s (in some regard anyway). His best chance would be if there was strong supporter backing for him but I think we might just get away with it.

Paul Hurst would not get the Sheffield Wednesday job for the foreseeable future in my opinion.

I don’t know anything about the owners of Rotherham - if they’re locally linked rich Rotherham fans or a faceless business sporting consortium or a sheik with ‘cash on the hip’. I can’t be arsed researching that, but if Hurst means nothing to the owners, and there wasn’t a fan clamour for him, I think it makes it seem unlikely, personally, and we can then ‘relax’.
I don’t want to lose him and what’s happening here. This is the best we’ve been, top to bottom, for many years.

And….strong word from my Cambridge Utd supporting mate that Bonner is Yorkshire-bound.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 266
It Bites
September 22, 2022, 7:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Surrey97
Really hope I’m wrong but the feeling I’m getting about all this isn’t a good one.

You'll be right . You always were
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 266
male private Johnson
September 22, 2022, 7:21pm
Coke Drinker
Approval: +170
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from It Bites

You'll be right . You always were

Yes, but you were always wrong, so if you think he’s right then does that mean he’s probably wrong?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 266
IlkleyMariner
September 22, 2022, 7:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Presumably Rotherham will have shed loads of compensation from Derby so can buy whoever they want……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 7:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I think:

Hurst will apply surely…and you couldn’t possibly blame him. I just think that Rotherham will want a bigger name to signal their intent and that Hurst’s stats won’t be as good as other people’s (in some regard anyway). His best chance would be if there was strong supporter backing for him but I think we might just get away with it.

Paul Hurst would not get the Sheffield Wednesday job for the foreseeable future in my opinion.

I don’t know anything about the owners of Rotherham - if they’re locally linked rich Rotherham fans or a faceless business sporting consortium or a sheik with ‘cash on the hip’. I can’t be arsed researching that, but if Hurst means nothing to the owners, and there wasn’t a fan clamour for him, I think it makes it seem unlikely, personally, and we can then ‘relax’.
I don’t want to lose him and what’s happening here. This is the best we’ve been, top to bottom, for many years.

And….strong word from my Cambridge Utd supporting mate that Bonner is Yorkshire-bound.

Tony Stewart is the owner; local boy done very well for himself (like 9-figure wealth well). Took over the club after they were forced out of Millmoor and was the main man for delivering their cracking new stadium in double quick time.

Understandably he’s pretty well regarded by Rotherham fans I think. Not the faceless Middle Eastern consortium you were possibly hoping for, but knocking on a bit (well into his 70s) so it’s not impossible there might be a changing of the guard soon.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 266
crusty ole pie
September 22, 2022, 7:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
I don’t think Paul hurst will go basically because he values his private life,keeping his wife and family away from football a move to Rotherham will mean that within a few weeks every millers fan will know his address. his mrs won’t be allowed to walk freely round th3 supermarket and if and when he starts to struggle which all managers eventually do there’s going to be finger pointing everywhere they go
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker

Yes, but you were always wrong, so if you think he’s right then does that mean he’s probably wrong?

I think you’ve just torn a hole in the space-time continuum.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 266
chaos33
September 22, 2022, 7:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I’m now more worried.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 7:49pm
Vodka Drinker
I’ll tell you something, if Hurst does go I hope we take it better than the Millers have, losing Warne. They’re seriously discussing the prospect of Rob Scott as their new manager.

They’ve gone from slightly miffed to a full-on mental breakdown in the space of 24 hours.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 266
LH
September 22, 2022, 7:55pm

Quoted from pontoonlew

A shame to see red crosses for such an excellent nod to Fishy Folklore

They probably weren’t here during the dark days like us sad acts die hards
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 266
It Bites
September 22, 2022, 8:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I think you’ve just torn a hole in the space-time continuum.

My mind is blown
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 266
MuddyWaters
September 22, 2022, 8:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Now 3/1.
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 266
HerveJosse
September 22, 2022, 8:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Stop worrying they will be aiming higher
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 266
LondonMariner43
September 22, 2022, 8:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,978
Gold Stars: 64
In the interview PH didn’t ever rule out a move.  He said he’s happy and there’s been no contact and he is focused on Swindon.  I think if they came knocking with a big £ sign he’d be tempted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 266
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 22, 2022, 9:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,905
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Now 3/1.

Attachment: ecddc9341a3b49998ff23c1e643c2ce9_2417.png
Size: 58.85 KB

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 266
MarinerDevil
September 22, 2022, 9:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 266
MuddyWaters
September 22, 2022, 9:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Skybet 3/1.
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 266
petethemariner
September 22, 2022, 9:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Skybet 3/1.

Odds mean nothing as I have found out regularly to my cost over the last 40 years!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 266
dapperz fun pub
September 22, 2022, 9:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 83
Chris hughton or Nigel adkins or at least those type of experienced well known managers I think rovrum will go for
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 266
forza ivano
September 22, 2022, 9:54pm

Exile
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Chris hughton or Nigel adkins or at least those type of experienced well known managers I think rovrum will go for

uh? you haven't listened to the interview then? Specifically says that he doesn't want that type of manager and says on 2 occasions they want  ayoung go ahead coach/manager who's a good communicator
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 266
headingly_mariner
September 22, 2022, 9:54pm

Vodka Drinker
How flipping cringey is it that people are already naming who they'd want to be their next manager?

Endless posts on here and Twitter. Best case scenario is he stays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 266
FPVmariner
September 22, 2022, 9:58pm
Beer Drinker
A Yorkie, missing out on going to Cleethorpes at every opportunity, not going to happen.

He stays.
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 10:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Now 3/1.

Also worth noting that current favourite Gareth Ainsworth’s odds have also shortened considerably to 2/1. I think we’re in that space where no one knows yet.

As was the case with Potter, Warne et al, you’ll know one way or another before the new manager is announced.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 266
dapperz fun pub
September 22, 2022, 10:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

uh? you haven't listened to the interview then? Specifically says that he doesn't want that type of manager and says on 2 occasions they want  ayoung go ahead coach/manager who's a good communicator

I haven’t listened to any interviews but I’ve read some forums and it looks to me that the fans would be very underwhelmed if hurst got the job, I assume the interview is their chairman talking ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 266
forza ivano
September 22, 2022, 10:14pm

Exile
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I haven’t listened to any interviews but I’ve read some forums and it looks to me that the fans would be very underwhelmed if hurst got the job, I assume the interview is their chairman talking ?

Yes see mariner devils post 160
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 266
marinerjase
September 22, 2022, 10:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
Odds mean nothing until the cats let out the bag and it’s obvious who gets a job. Until then they go off social media name dropping as much as anything..the more PH (or anyone) gets linked the more the odds shorten. Simple.

For the record I personally think he stays here. I certainly hope he does.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 266
dapperz fun pub
September 22, 2022, 10:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Yes see mariner devils post 160

👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 266
September 22, 2022, 10:19pm
Guest User
If we were in the championship and we appointed a manager with two promotions from non league I charge of a team in 8th in League Two, do you think we’d be happy?

Bonner or Wagner (not that one) would be my guess.
Reply: 172 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 10:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Didn’t mention computer literacy, I think we’re good.

Seriously though, he does mention wanting someone “young” and someone who hasn’t had 5, 6, 7, 10 jobs. Hurst is 47; does he still qualify as young? And if you include his time at Ilkeston and Boston with Scott, this is his 8th job.

Not sure what he says there is necessarily a description of Hurst. Does it reassure me? Not really.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 266
MarinerDevil
September 22, 2022, 10:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Seriously though, he does mention wanting someone “young” and someone who hasn’t had 5, 6, 7, 10 jobs. Hurst is 47; does he still qualify as young? And if you include his time at Ilkeston and Boston with Scott, this is his 8th job.

Not sure what he says there is necessarily a description of Hurst. Does it reassure me? Not really.

That's what I thought, Hurst has been the round the block once already and had to rebuild his career.

Stewart's requirements perfectly describe Mark Bonner at Cambridge. He's amongst the bookies' favourites, and I think they'd approach him before Hurst.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 266
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
September 22, 2022, 10:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from MarinerDevil

That's what I thought, Hurst has been the round the block once already and had to rebuild his career.

Stewart's requirements perfectly describe Mark Bonner at Cambridge. He's amongst the bookies' favourites, and I think they'd approach him before Hurst.

Suprised darrell clarke doesnt have odds anywhere, 5 promotions at 4 clubs, he'll definately be at a championship club at some stage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 266
toontown
September 22, 2022, 10:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
This can't happen just because we are finally having some stability and ability in the management seat whilst in the football league - I want us to get one shot at football league promotion out of it at least! Preferably two.

Bloody 'ell!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 266
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 22, 2022, 10:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Gareth Ainsworth will have been Wycombe manager for 10 years on Saturday. That’s one hell of an achievement

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 10:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Gareth Ainsworth will have been Wycombe manager for 10 years on Saturday. That’s one hell of an achievement

Only Simon Weaver at Harrogate has been there longer. Nothing to do with his dad owning the club or anything*.

*He’s done a decent job to be fair.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 266
davmariner
September 22, 2022, 11:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,959
Gold Stars: 79
Hurst isn’t the type of guy to miss an opportunity to move up the leagues regardless of circumstances. It’s what he did with us first time around and it’s what he did with Shrewsbury.

He’s a good manager at League 1 / League 2 level and would wish him all the best if he goes, but if I were a Rotherham fan, I’d be alarmed by the fact that despite being 8th in the Championship, they’re not able to attract someone with a more established track record of manager or at least coaching at a higher level.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 266
Stew0_0
September 22, 2022, 11:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
All I'm saying is if you had a choice of any managers for a championship side and Paul Hurst from league 2 or a Sean Dyche, former Burnley in the premiership was the choices, what would you choose.
I get that Hurst is linked for sentimental reasons but I can't see it so wouldn't panick at this stage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 266
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 11:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Stew0_0
All I'm saying is if you had a choice of any managers for a championship side and Paul Hurst from league 2 or a Sean Dyche, former Burnley in the premiership was the choices, what would you choose.
I get that Hurst is linked for sentimental reasons but I can't see it so wouldn't panick at this stage

And if you didn’t?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 266
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 22, 2022, 11:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Sounded to me that the Rotherham Chairman/Owner was talking about appointing someone who has recently retired or currently employed as say an Academy Manager at a Premiership club bit like Ipswich have done and Blackpool did with Neil Critchley who has subsequently moved on to Villa. Or, someone like Carrick or Duncan Ferguson echo have been Assistant Managers but now want to be in charge.

His CV requirements didn’t give me any leanings that he would be currently looking for Hursty’s mobile number so let’s just look forward to the next two home matches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 266
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
September 22, 2022, 11:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Good communicator

Young

Not had many jobs

Do they have Michael Jolleys number

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 266
jamesgtfc
September 23, 2022, 8:16am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

Only Simon Weaver at Harrogate has been there longer. Nothing to do with his dad owning the club or anything*.

*He’s done a decent job to be fair.

Simon Weaver has actually managed Harrogate longer than his dad has been involved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 266
Poojah
September 23, 2022, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Mark Bonner’s odds have shortened considerably and is the 3/1 favourite on some platforms. Not sure if that’s in response to the Rotherham chairman’s comments or if there’s anything more to it, but he’s come from relatively low down in the pack very suddenly.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 266
Mariner_09
September 23, 2022, 11:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
Mark Bonner’s odds have shortened considerably and is the 3/1 favourite on some platforms. Not sure if that’s in response to the Rotherham chairman’s comments or if there’s anything more to it, but he’s come from relatively low down in the pack very suddenly.

That's what happened with Hursty's odds. Lazy links I think

Private Message
Reply: 186 - 266
It Bites
September 23, 2022, 2:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Liam Rosenior 👍👍
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 266
FPVmariner
September 23, 2022, 6:25pm
Beer Drinker
Right then, time for some perspective, put aside the long career at Rovrum for a moment.  PH is still relatively young in football managerial terms, he will have ambitions on managing at a higher level despite getting his fingers burnt last time he went on an upwards spiral.  But think about his journey, what looks better on his CV, successive promotions with one club (you’d better believe it can happen), or taking over at a club that’s already above its natural level?  Realistically, where could he take Rotherham if he went there?

An extra grand a week to you and I might seem like the forbidden land, but what could he earn at a genuine top end championship club, probably at least treble.  I like Paul, I liked him first time round despite the naive ear cupping, this time he’s matured and so much more relaxed.  Of course he’ll leave one day, but that day isn’t now, he just needs the club to match his expectations and ambition for the next year or so.  We benefit and hopefully become a Rotherham and Paul’s stock rises so he gets a Derby or West Brom type club.  We all win.
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 266
It Bites
September 23, 2022, 6:34pm
Champagne Drinker
I get the feeling that the new owners are putting everything in place so that who ever is manager has to work in that framework, a bit like Watford , Norwich etc . I would seriously guess if and when PH does move on that Doig will take over
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 266
davmariner
September 23, 2022, 6:52pm
Vodka Drinker

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 266
Zmariner
September 23, 2022, 7:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from davmariner

Very good interview . I had no idea that he had lived in Rotherham since 1998, kids were from there and he really did seem part of the furniture utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 266
chaos33
September 23, 2022, 7:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I don’t know if Scott and Hurst still keep in contact and get on/are friends or if that was fractured some years ago. I’d like to know.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 266
RonMariner
September 23, 2022, 7:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
I would have thought a club on the fringes of the championship playoffs would be more likely to go after someone like Scott Parker who has taken a club up before. That is if they have aspirations to get into the prem.

Might be wishful thinking on my part but it would seem strange to go down to League 2 for a replacement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 266
GhostDan
September 23, 2022, 8:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Good interview that, I dislike him slightly less than I did 15 minutes ago - I didn’t realise he was so heavily involved there.  I guess that makes the chance of Hurst going even less?

A lot of what he said about foundations, continuity at Rotherham hopefully applies to what our new owners are building here, so the day when PH does depart we are a lot better equipt to carry on moving forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 266
HerveJosse
September 24, 2022, 9:04am
Champagne Drinker
Dean Holden fits the profile and is available.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 266
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 24, 2022, 9:20am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from RonMariner
I would have thought a club on the fringes of the championship playoffs would be more likely to go after someone like Scott Parker who has taken a club up before. That is if they have aspirations to get into the prem.

Might be wishful thinking on my part but it would seem strange to go down to League 2 for a replacement.

I Know you're using Scott Parker as an example but he's been linked with the Nice job....

So Scott, where do fancy? The French Riviera and views of the Med or South Yorkshire with panoramic views of the Tinsley Viaduct? Fresh seafood sat by the beach or a Gregg's pasty sat by Wilkos?

Decisions, decisions......

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 266
MarinerDevil
September 24, 2022, 12:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Someone on the Rotherham forum now thinks that they've asked to speak to Hurst.

However, Dean Holden is the man everyone's talking about after someone claimed on Twitter that he's being interviewed next week. Journos seem to be bigging him up and he's now the bookies' favourite at 6/4. Both Ainsworth and Hurst are at 5/2.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 266
davmariner
September 24, 2022, 6:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Odd that Tondeur didn’t ask anything about this post-match.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 266
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 24, 2022, 6:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from davmariner
Odd that Tondeur didn’t ask anything about this post-match.

No point really, Hurst would be noncommittal and ww would all be second guessing what he was saying without actually saying it. Expect we will know one way or another by the time we play Carlisle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 266
HerveJosse
September 24, 2022, 8:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Going to get red crossed to death here but not sure 6500 home fans are going to keep turning up to what is being served up at home matches . If he does leave which I still don’t think he will we move on and maybe there will be some pluses.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 266
chaos33
September 24, 2022, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Jesus wept.
Why don’t you stop going. It’s appalling. We’re awful

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 266
HerveJosse
September 24, 2022, 8:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Jesus wept.
Why don’t you stop going. It’s appalling. We’re awful

I won’t but others will .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 266
Lost in Lincoln
September 25, 2022, 8:20am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from DB

Richard Wood - 6/1
Mark Bonner - 7/1
David Wagner - 8/1
Karl Robinson - 9/1
Carlos Corberan - 10/1
Darren Ferguson - 10/1
Duncan Ferguson - 11/1
Michael Carrick - 11/1

These lists always crack me up flipping Michael Carrick? Duncan Ferguson ffs I'm sure agents have a say on these lists, there can't be anyone of sound mind that adds names like that.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 203 - 266
Lost in Lincoln
September 25, 2022, 8:22am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Beautiful with cheese.

As an accompaniment, beetroot is lovely in a sandwich.

Anyone who eats a plain beetroot sandwich however, may be a serial killer.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 204 - 266
aldi_01
September 25, 2022, 8:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from HerveJosse

I won’t but others will .

Almost 6k STH, if they don’t turn up the only person out of pocket is them…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 266
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 25, 2022, 9:11am
Champagne Drinker

These lists always crack me up flipping Michael Carrick? Duncan Ferguson ffs I'm sure agents have a say on these lists, there can't be anyone of sound mind that adds names like that.

Yes. Anyway, Mark Bonner is filming a new series of Shetland so he won't be available.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 266
HerveJosse
September 25, 2022, 2:57pm
Champagne Drinker
If Rotherham fans are reading this thread and have any sway they may want to note we have won three out of seventeen at home In League 2 since PH returned.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 266
marinerjase
September 25, 2022, 2:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
Quoted from HerveJosse
If Rotherham fans are reading this thread and have any sway they may want to note we have won three out of seventeen at home In League 2 since PH returned.

And the away record is?

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 266
pontoonlew
September 25, 2022, 3:25pm
Vodka Drinker

Carrick fits the bill of what the Rotherham chairman said he wanted tbf
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 266
HerveJosse
September 25, 2022, 3:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase

And the away record is?

Played 17 won 6
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 266
Zmariner
September 25, 2022, 3:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
I am a fan of Hurst but if he were not an ex Rotherham player he would not be a consideration in the cold light of day.
The only way that I see this coming off is if he patches up with Rob Scott because purely on a CV basis they have better options.
They are currently near the top but points wise close to the bottom, survival will be a very good season for them and their chairman is a smart guy. We will see but I would want more championship experience if I were choosing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 266
chaos33
September 26, 2022, 5:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 266
Wiley2405
September 26, 2022, 6:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Approval: +663
I think (hopefully) with Rob Edwards getting the boot from Watford he could become a strong contender.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 266
RonMariner
September 27, 2022, 9:04am

Special Brew Drinker
They are on the fringes of playoff positions in their division just like we are. So then going for Hurst would be like us going for a manager from NLN who’s only experience of L2 management was a disaster.

Don’t think we would be too keen on that, and so I expect Rotherham to be settling their sights a little higher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 266
Poojah
September 27, 2022, 9:07am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
They are on the fringes of playoff positions in their division just like we are. So then going for Hurst would be like us going for a manager from NLN who’s only experience of L2 management was a disaster.

Don’t think we would be too keen on that, and so I expect Rotherham to be settling their sights a little higher.

Dean Holden is now the 6/4 favourite for the job, with Hurst having drifted a fraction to 4/1.

Personally I’m not convinced that Holden would be the more impressive coup, though admittedly I don’t know loads about his coaching career.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 266
Peeler_Crab
September 27, 2022, 9:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +371
Gold Stars: 2
Sky bet latest....

Dean Holden
1/8
Mark Bonner
8/1
Paul Hurst
8/1
Neil Warnock
18/1
Gareth Ainsworth
20/1
Rob Edwards
20/1
Matt Taylor (Exeter)
22/1

“What has Alan Buckley got in his pocket!" Roly Godfrey - Blundell Park - 1990.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 266
Poojah
September 27, 2022, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Interesting. Not often manager odds get to 1/8 without there being something in it, whilst Hurst's odds have doubled in the last half an hour.

Fingers crossed we can soon breathe a huge sigh of relief!

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 266
HerveJosse
September 27, 2022, 9:57am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
Dean Holden fits the profile and is available.

Do I get any points for that?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 266
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 27, 2022, 12:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Blimey, this is a bit harsh! Most of those games were with a train wreck of a side that he inherited from Gordon The Gobsh*te.

You're factually correct but, as ever, the devil is in the detail.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 266
Poojah
September 27, 2022, 12:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Hurst drifted down to 9-1 now. It’s looking increasingly unlikely.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 266
Peeler_Crab
September 27, 2022, 1:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Dean Holden now 1/5 though

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 266
chaos33
September 27, 2022, 1:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Great 😊

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 222 - 266
Abdul19
September 27, 2022, 3:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
No doubt my punt on Mark Bonner at 12/1 will be another for the looked promising for a bit before losing file.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 223 - 266
Peeler_Crab
September 28, 2022, 10:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
No doubt my punt on Mark Bonner at 12/1 will be another for the looked promising for a bit before losing file.

It's looking promising at the minute...

Sky bet latest...

Mark Bonner
1/5
Dean Holden
5/1
Paul Hurst
16/1
Gareth Ainsworth
18/1
Neil Warnock
20/1
Richard Wood
20/1

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 224 - 266
jamesgtfc
September 28, 2022, 12:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
Hurst drifted down to 9-1 now. It’s looking increasingly unlikely.

In a parallel universe with back to back home wins, I wonder what odds he would have been...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 225 - 266
lew chaterleys lover
September 28, 2022, 12:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from jamesgtfc

In a parallel universe with back to back home wins, I wonder what odds he would have been...

He has obviously lost the 2 games on purpose. I like that in a manager- looking at the bigger picture. 👌
Private Message
Reply: 226 - 266
Maringer
September 28, 2022, 12:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I can't wait until Rotherham appoint their new manager, because then we can start winning again...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 227 - 266
psgmariner
September 28, 2022, 8:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Bonner staying at Cambridge

Private Message
Reply: 228 - 266
chaos33
September 29, 2022, 10:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
I’m worried again

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 229 - 266
davmariner
September 29, 2022, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I’m worried again

I’m not.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 266
Poojah
September 29, 2022, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I’m worried again

Hurst currently at his lowest odds of 16/1, with plenty of others fancied ahead of him. I think we’ll be ok.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 231 - 266
lew chaterleys lover
September 29, 2022, 11:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Looking at it from the outside Hurst's win ratio as a manager in the Football league over the last few years must be a shocker.

He has our full support but I think highly unlikely he would be considered for a Championship job just yet.

Still got a lot to prove and I hope he can do that with us.

If the worst did happen then at least we know we are far more likely to get a very good replacement under this regime so that at least is comforting.
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 266
Poojah
September 29, 2022, 12:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Since leaving Shrewsbury in 2018, played 90, won 22 giving him a win ratio of 24%. I think over almost a century of games, that would be enough to give clubs the heebie-jeebies, whatever the context.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 266
Maringer
September 29, 2022, 12:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Also, Rob Scott hates him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 234 - 266
kevikov
September 29, 2022, 12:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Quoted from Poojah
Since leaving Shrewsbury in 2018, played 90, won 22 giving him a win ratio of 24%. I think over almost a century of games, that would be enough to give clubs the heebie-jeebies, whatever the context.

Did we not win 23 matches last year in the league? And that’s just one of the years between 2018 and 2022. Or am I missing something?

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 266
kevikov
September 29, 2022, 12:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Are you just counting EFL games Poojah?

To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 266
Posh Harry
September 29, 2022, 12:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,370
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from kevikov

Did we not win 23 matches last year in the league? And that’s just one of the years between 2018 and 2022. Or am I missing something?

Yes, you’re missing that fact that those wins came in non-league and not the EFL
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 266
kevikov
September 29, 2022, 12:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
☝️

To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 266
Poojah
September 29, 2022, 1:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Yeah, original comment referenced the Football League specifically. Naturally I hadn't forgotten about last season, which was alright to be fair...

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 239 - 266
Lost in Lincoln
September 29, 2022, 8:16pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 240 - 266
forza ivano
September 29, 2022, 8:20pm

Exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 266
MarinerDevil
September 29, 2022, 8:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker

That's a bit left-field. Not sure Millers fans will be too encouraged by that.

If they are considering managers at mid-table L2 clubs though... eek.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 266
September 29, 2022, 8:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

he's usually spot on - fingers crossed

Matt Gray?

Chairman’s Rule No.1 - Don’t appoint Mike Newell

Chairman’s Rule No.2 - Don’t appoint someone who’s named after a fückin Dulux paint shade.

Maybe there’s hope for poor Kingsley Black.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 266
diehardmariner
September 30, 2022, 1:32pm
Vodka Drinker
When picking out some paints a couple of years back I couldn't focus once I'd clocked the shade 'Ravens Flight'.

No use picking a paint as I couldn't get the image of Mark Lever's replacement floundering on his debut to try (and fail) to keep up with Jon Macken.
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 266
toontown
October 1, 2022, 9:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Matty taylor Exeter manager offered the job apparently...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63104635
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 266
Lost in Lincoln
October 2, 2022, 9:52am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from toontown

Ex Pompey player?

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 246 - 266
Garth
October 2, 2022, 10:33am

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from toontown

Can't see him leaving Exeter to go to yorkshire, expect PH to be second choice
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 266
ex-merseymariner
October 2, 2022, 1:20pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9

Ex Pompey player?

No the ex pompey player was a fb/mid, the Exeter matty Taylor ia an ex centre half.

Must be similar ages tho.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 266
Peeler_Crab
October 3, 2022, 10:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Matt Taylor has been appointed at Rotherham now

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 266
MarinerDevil
October 3, 2022, 10:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 250 - 266
Poojah
October 3, 2022, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 266
diehardmariner
October 3, 2022, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Pretty sure I remember Hurst saying he was a big fan of Uri Geller's work...
Private Message
Reply: 252 - 266
Meza
October 3, 2022, 11:04am

Special Brew Drinker
Now Exeter need a new manager  

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 266
Mariner Timsky
October 3, 2022, 11:22am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Exeter can have Wilder he needs a job

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 254 - 266
Grantham_Mariner
October 3, 2022, 11:43am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,195
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from Meza

I like Exeter as a football club. Seem well run and look after their fans. Alway felt welcome as an away fan there. Hope they someone decent.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 255 - 266
Mariner_09
October 3, 2022, 12:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Meza

I don't see this as an issue at all. Exeter are probably about maxxed out at L1, I doubt they'd be able to offer him substantially more money than we can, he'd have to start all over again with a new squad. He's settled here and the only way is likely down at Exeter. Plus, it's miles from Sheffield!

Private Message
Reply: 256 - 266
Meza
October 3, 2022, 1:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

I don't see this as an issue at all. Exeter are probably about maxxed out at L1, I doubt they'd be able to offer him substantially more money than we can, he'd have to start all over again with a new squad. He's settled here and the only way is likely down at Exeter. Plus, it's miles from Sheffield!

That's the only plus i guess is the location.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 257 - 266
MarinerDevil
October 4, 2022, 1:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted Text
Rotherham United can inform supporters that conversations with Matt Taylor, his representatives and Exeter City remain ongoing.

Whilst the complexity of these negotiations have resulted in them becoming protracted, the club will ensure that it keeps supporters updated on the outcome when it is appropriate to do so.

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank Exeter City for their assistance throughout this process so far.

Meanwhile, the club is continuing to prepare as normal for another important Sky Bet Championship game with Millwall which takes place at AESSEAL New York Stadium on Wednesday night.

It's not done yet.   Some Millers fans are wondering if they are tapping up Chris Wilder after his sacking by Middlesbrough yesterday.

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2022/october/read--managerial-search-update/
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 266
MarinerDevil
October 4, 2022, 5:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 259 - 266
HertsGTFC
October 4, 2022, 5:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
End of thread?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 260 - 266
Poojah
October 4, 2022, 6:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
End of thread?

Middlesbrough about to appoint Darren Moore from Wednesday…  

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 261 - 266
October 4, 2022, 6:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Middlesbrough about to appoint Darren Moore from Wednesday…  

Roy Hodgson has been linked to the Owls…

[url]http://sellsellblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/roy-hodgson-is-owl.html?m=1[/url]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 262 - 266
Gaffer58
October 4, 2022, 6:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
[quote=140633]

That’s really going to inspire the Wendy’s, let’s hope they never get to play a team from Iceland.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 263 - 266
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 5, 2022, 3:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
[quote=140633]

That’s really going to inspire the Wendy’s, let’s hope they never get to play a team from Iceland.

Or Lidls

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 264 - 266
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 5, 2022, 4:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Or Lidls

Ooh, an unexpected appearance of the 'Grimsby S'!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 265 - 266
The_Laughing_Mariner
October 5, 2022, 4:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
I personally like the Grimsby  'd' in Mataland.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 266 - 266
27 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Derby Sack Manager, Rotherham Gaffer favourite....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.