Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Derby Sack Manager, Rotherham Gaffer favourite....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 309 Guests

Derby Sack Manager, Rotherham Gaffer favourite....

This thread currently has 36,349 views. Print
27 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
HerveJosse
September 21, 2022, 6:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 144
Would also be high risk for him given Rotherham’s propensity to follow promotion to championship by relegation and the fact that they are not really a championship club. Also he has no track record of success in r the Championship   No sentiment in the championship not sure his playing record with them ending 15 years ago is much of a criteria for a job there now.. I  am not as convinced as others this is a big threat.
If I am wrong and he left us again woukd we have him back a third time?.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 266
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 21, 2022, 7:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from HerveJosse
Would also be high risk for him given Rotherham’s propensity to follow promotion to championship by relegation and the fact that they are not really a championship club. Also he has no track record of success in r the Championship   No sentiment in the championship not sure his playing record with them ending 15 years ago is much of a criteria for a job there now.. I  am not as convinced as others this is a big threat.
If I am wrong and he left us again woukd we have him back a third time?.

Their Chairman - Tony Stewart - has generally been loyal to managers when they yo-yo between Championship and L1.

Although any potential manager would have to consider that Stewart is (allegedly) a very heavy, cigar-smoking 77 year old widower. I doubt the succession plan will be as seamless as Liz to Charlie when the Cohiba catches up with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 266
Mariner93er
September 21, 2022, 7:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
I'm not as worried as others by this. If they were in league 1 I'd be concerned, but I'm struggling to think of a manager who's made the jump from league 2 to championship in recent times (I'm probably missing someone).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 266
forza ivano
September 21, 2022, 7:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
would  a team mid table in the Championship need to go for the manager of  a team mid table in league 2?

I'm sure there would be a lot higher profile managers and/or managers with more championship experience before they got to PH (fingers crossed!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 266
MuddyWaters
September 21, 2022, 7:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from forza ivano
would  a team mid table in the Championship need to go for the manager of  a team mid table in league 2?

I'm sure there would be a lot higher profile managers and/or managers with more championship experience before they got to PH (fingers crossed!)

I would imagine Mrs Hurst would appreciate her husband working closer to home.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 266
TheRealJohnLewis
September 21, 2022, 7:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Hurst's new contract is not to keep him here longer it is to compensate us and him better when he does leave.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 266
Poojah
September 21, 2022, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from DB

This is all very depressing, so how about an alternative to Hurst - Scott Parker? Any other suggestions who The Millers might show an interest in, anybody but Hurst.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, we have absolutely no idea whether they might fancy Hurst or not. They might do, they might not.

As much as we understandably rate the guy here, you can put an entirely different slant on his managerial career armed only with facts, if you want to.

For instance, his only tangible managerial success has been in non-league. The first time around it took six attempts to get consistently one of the biggest clubs in the division promoted, and whilst he managed it first time around last season, this came after overseeing a dismal relegation from the EFL (taking over as manager half way through the season with the club above the relegation zone, eventually finishing 92nd out of 92). Oh, and a sizeable minority of fans wanted him sacked part way through the season after overseeing the club’s worst ever non-league run.

Even now, Grimsby are only 8th in League Two. Is that worthy of a job at a club precisely two divisions higher?

His one previous attempt at managing in the Championship was an abject failure. Sacked after 15 games, winning just 1 - a win ratio of 6.7%, the poorest in Ipswich’s history. Ipswich would go on to be relegated and have yet to return some three season’s later.

From there he went to Scunny, where he was sacked again. So he’s been sacked in his last two ‘completed’ stints as manager, and was realistically close to being sacked during his current tenure here.

Now, this is obviously not my own take on Hurst; clearly it’s lacking a whole heap of context, but it is nevertheless an entirely factual account of his career to date. There is an element of trying to appease fans when clubs appoint a manager, and I have no doubt that some of the above would instil some concern amongst Rotherham fans.

That’s something the Rotherham board would have to consider. And here’s something else; if he wasn’t a club legend as a player no one would even be having this conversation. They’ll have to ask themselves whether that’s a good basis on which to appoint a manager. I would argue it is not, albeit it did them no harm when they appointed Paul Warne.

I’ve given this a fair bit of thought in the last couple of hours. If Rotherham want Hurst, he’ll be gone, no question about it whatsoever. He can’t not.

But, this is my gut feel, there are enough blemishes on Hurst’s CV and not enough actual success in the football league to make Rotherham sufficiently wary. Let’s not forget, this is a precarious time for them too. I think they’ll look elsewhere, at someone with more experience higher up the pyramid. Gareth Ainsworth, off the top of my head, would probably look a safer bet on paper. Ian Evatt at Bolton, too.

So that’s me. I don’t think they’ll come after him. Not at this time. I might be wrong, who knows, but I’ll try not to lose too much sleep just yet.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 266
toontown
September 21, 2022, 7:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, we have absolutely no idea whether they might fancy Hurst or not. They might do, they might not.

As much as we understandably rate the guy here, you can put an entirely different slant on his managerial career armed only with facts, if you want to.

For instance, his only tangible managerial success has been in non-league. The first time around it took six attempts to get consistently one of the biggest clubs in the division promoted, and whilst he managed it first time around last season, this came after overseeing a dismal relegation from the EFL (taking over as manager half way through the season with the club above the relegation zone, eventually finishing 92nd out of 92). Oh, and a sizeable minority of fans wanted him sacked part way through the season after overseeing the club’s worst ever non-league run.

Even now, Grimsby are only 8th in League Two. Is that worthy of a job at a club precisely two divisions higher?

His one previous attempt at managing in the Championship was an abject failure. Sacked after 15 games, winning just 1 - a win ratio of 6.7%, the poorest in Ipswich’s history. Ipswich would go on to be relegated and have yet to return some three season’s later.

From there he went to Scunny, where he was sacked again. So he’s been sacked in his last two ‘completed’ stints as manager, and was realistically close to being sacked during his current tenure here.

Now, this is obviously not my own take on Hurst; clearly it’s lacking a whole heap of context, but it is nevertheless an entirely factual account of his career to date. There is an element of trying to appease fans when clubs appoint a manager, and I have no doubt that some of the above would instil some concern amongst Rotherham fans.

That’s something the Rotherham board would have to consider. And here’s something else; if he wasn’t a club legend as a player no one would even be having this conversation. They’ll have to ask themselves whether that’s a good basis on which to appoint a manager. I would argue it is not, albeit it did then no harm when they appointed Paul Warne.

I’ve given this a fair bit of thought in the last couple of hours. If Rotherham want Hurst, he’ll be gone, no question about it whatsoever. He can’t not.

But, this is my gut feel, there are enough blemishes on Hurst’s CV and not enough actual success in the football league to make Rotherham sufficiently wary. Let’s not forget, this is a precarious time for them too. I think they’ll look elsewhere, at someone with more experience higher up the pyramid. Gareth Ainsworth, off the top of my head, would probably look a safer bet on paper. Ian Evatt at Bolton, too.

So that’s me. I don’t think they’ll come after him. Not at this time. I might be wrong, who knows, but I’ll try not to lose too much sleep just yet.

Excellent post poojah and I agree that if they call he'll go, no doubt, but I think it's a lot more likely they won't call than they will.

I must admit this very scenario has worried me ever since I listened to the podcast about the Rotherham and Oxford managers. Wearne seems very down to earth and so does the Rotherham chairman and so does Hurst, he just might think its a match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 266
ginnywings
September 21, 2022, 8:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

That’s something the Rotherham board would have to consider. And here’s something else; if he wasn’t a club legend as a player no one would even be having this conversation. They’ll have to ask themselves whether that’s a good basis on which to appoint a manager. I would argue it is not, albeit it did them no harm when they appointed Paul Warne.

Have you finished playing good cop, bad cop?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 266
ginnywings
September 21, 2022, 8:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
My thoughts remain as they always do in these situations, in that I won't lose any sleep over it. Players come and go, as do managers. While they are here, they get my support and when they move on, they are no longer of interest.

Saying that, he's got a good gig here and he would need to think long and hard about going elsewhere, given what has transpired with previous jobs. That's even if this has any legs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 266
27 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Derby Sack Manager, Rotherham Gaffer favourite....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.