Hagrid
August 24, 2022, 9:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from golfer
With his ball skills Dennis could be on stage - we were mesmerised - and he isn't even in the first team.

he will be, they;ve only just signed him
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 71
RonMariner
August 24, 2022, 9:07am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Gold Stars: 226
Anyone know what the official attendance was?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 71
ska face
August 24, 2022, 9:23am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Bit of quality in the final third did for us. If that team we played last night are essentially a decent Championship team then the quality in the Championship is unrecognisable compared to when we were last there.

Thought Pepple battled well in difficult circumstances and didn’t get the support from teammates that his work deserved. A few seemed to just evaporate whenever Pepple managed to get hold of it which left him isolated.

Efete had his best game for months in an unfamiliar position, and did well when moving into right back. That ball across the face of goal just before their third is what he should be doing every week rather than taking a touch and having to front a man up.

Osmond corner definitely the best view in the whole ground, I’ll be going back there whenever I can.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 71
Theimperialcoroner
August 24, 2022, 9:28am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,258
Gold Stars: 102
I’d have loved to have seen how we’d have done with John Mc and Smith playing.
The buzz for 40 mins in the second half was great, just fine margins that you pay a lot of money for was the difference. Another boost to the coffers and some more for Hurst to work on from what he’d have seen last night.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 71
Les Brechin
August 24, 2022, 9:56am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from RonMariner
Anyone know what the official attendance was?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 71
fishcake63
August 24, 2022, 10:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
23 goal attemps & entrys into box means we should be putting a couple away we all know what we need & are not far off been a real threat to teams , 3 class finishes by forest out of perhaps 4 chances was the differance last night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 71
Poojah
August 24, 2022, 10:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from fishcake63
23 goal attemps & entrys into box means we should be putting a couple away we all know what we need & are not far off been a real threat to teams , 3 class finishes by forest out of perhaps 4 chances was the differance last night

Whilst our apparent profligacy and lack of obvious fire power is an understandable source of frustration at this moment in time, I also think it’s equally a major reason for optimism.

By all accounts we seem a very solid and competitive league two outfit, not withstanding that we were punished last night by a side comprising a mixture of top Championship and lower end Premier League players. Our limitations are obvious, but by that same token hopefully resolvable.

We have another 8 days of transfer window left to go. I remain confident that we will make at least a couple of attacking signings that will go some way to addressing our standout issue, plus the likes of Orsi, Khan and further down the line McAtee to come back.

A big few days ahead, but I think we could be tantalisingly close to being a serious team at this level for the first time in donkey’s years.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 71
Les Brechin
August 24, 2022, 10:45am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
To put things into perspective, most of their players will be earning more a week than our entire team!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 71
marinerjase
August 24, 2022, 11:00am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
For what it’s worth I thought our lot did a cracking job last night..couldn’t fault them, barring one lapse (the throw in/mistake) - first half we battled throughout, didn’t stop. Their quality showed..speed of thought/mind/skill/athleticism..but 2-0 I didn’t feel was a fair reflection ..they were better but not two goals better.

Second half and we had a go from the off..a fantastic effort. Could and should have scored, would’ve made it very interesting, and although you could argue Forest already had game won and maybe level dropped - have to credit us for putting them under pressure. There was some cracking football on display from both sides at times, was a very good entertaining game.

Have to consider also we made changes..missing a few..but that’s testament to the squad PH is once again developing..if teams allow us to play we will be a test at our level. Games like Saturday when it’s stop/start, opposition behind ball etc are a different test but one we’ll be ok with.

How do you see/judge the first few weeks? I think the word Id use is promising..Orient best side in League we’ve seen - matched them 1st half..Northampton..should’ve won that, we were the better side throughout. Rochdale..battered early on but showed tenacity/resolve, got the better of them and won..Sutton..made it difficult..the aforementioned problems mentioned above..drew but could have nicked it.

Arguably we might not have as many points as we deserve…but we aren’t getting beaten easily. Without our talisman, other essential striker not fit start of season and has done a sterling job as always for the team, young 19 year old in a different environment has shown bits..yes we need a striker..we all know that..but we’ll be fine.

The midfield area has been impressive for me..Morris and Holohan last night for example..Green will get better..Khouri is there as back up/will be used..think Kiernan/Wearne have shown a glimpse of their ability but perhaps lack consistency/are learning..will get better..though possibly a creative wide player is an area PH might want to strengthen.

The back line..Waterfall..Smith…couldn’t wish for better..have Maher to come into contention..Glennon….very good, and those deliveries..Efete..still think he’s a lot of developing/improvement in him but he’s a handful on his day..and Crocombe has been decent as wel.

It’s all very promising..I’m enjoying it, really enjoyed last night tbf as well.

UTM

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 71
Jarmo.Is.God
August 24, 2022, 11:09am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I hope Cropper is ok, and wouldn't mind seeing him have a go in the league. i think he's a good solid player.
Amos has come on so much since he signed and was told to toughen up by PH.

Overall, we played well, atmosphere in the 2nd half was great.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.