Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women’s football
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 310 Guests

Women’s football

This thread currently has 21,659 views. Print
25 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
July 8, 2022, 10:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
Technically and tactically, the England women's team are miles ahead of where they were just a few years ago.

I've seen some of a few of the recent England games on TV and have been entertained as well as seeing some good play.

You don't get as many shots belted into the top corner from 30 yards (and I don't think the England team even attempted a shot from outside the box against Austria the other night) and the pace and power isn't the same, but the game has improved in leaps and bounds in recent years. Very refreshing to see an almost complete absence of shithousery and other cynical cheating as well. The referees do seem to allow a lot of 'tactical' fouls in midfield, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 249
Rick12
July 8, 2022, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from male private Nale

A few years ago the women’s World Cup winning side (USA) got beat 5-2 by some US club’s under 16 boys team. Just goes to show the massive gap between the sexes.

Women’s football is good for the girls but Jesus Christ it’s a turgid affair. However the main stream media have an agenda to elevate it to the same heights as the men’s game as you can see on SLY sports and BBC
Didn't realise that the  USA women's team got beat by some boys team. Thanks for the information.

Your right about the mainstream media trying to elevate the women's game but it will never get the same kudos as the men's I feel for reasons already outlined eg biological.

By the way if you have the time and money check out some of the women's boxing. Some of the top fights now are cracking affairs. I bought for the first time a women's boxing fight which for the first time ever headlined the boxing iconic Madison Square garden in the USA. It was between Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano. Really good fight and to be fair I actually enjoyed it more than the recent Tyson Fury v Dillian Whyte fight again which I paid for. I note there is another big women's fight coming up in September when Britons Savannah Marshall will challenge Claressa Shields for the undisputed middleweight championship at the O2 Arena in London on 10 September. Had I been in the country eg on holiday at that time I would of definitely watched and payed for that as well .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 249
Morris Minor
July 8, 2022, 10:43am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -606
Gold Stars: 12
All this talk about women's football is blown out of all proportion. It is a third-rate product with just a tiny bit of skill.
Big crowds etc are nothing more than a flash in the pan for curiosity's sake.

Let's settle it once and for all. England ladies (full strength) v England men (full strength). Winner takes all.
Would be interesting to see the score, any guesses.

I think at least 0-12 probably more

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 249
male private Nale
July 8, 2022, 10:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -924
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Rick12
Didn't realise that the under 16s USA women's team got beat by some boys team. Thanks for the information.

Your right about the mainstream media trying to elevate the women's game but it will never get the same kudos as the men's I feel for reasons already outlined eg biological.

By the way if you have the time and money check out some of the women's boxing. Some of the top fights now are cracking affairs. I bought for the first time a women's boxing fight which for the first time ever headlined the boxing iconic Madison Square garden in the USA. It was between Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano. Really good fight and to be fair I actually enjoyed it more than the recent Tyson Fury v Dillian Whyte fight again which I paid for. I note there is another big women's fight coming up in September when Britons Savannah Marshall will challenge Claressa Shields for the undisputed middleweight championship at the O2 Arena in London on 10 September. Had I been in the country eg on holiday at that time I would of definitely watched and payed for that as well .

No mention of women’s u16 team I was referring to the adult women’s World Cup winning side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 249
Rick12
July 8, 2022, 10:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from male private Nale

No mention of women’s u16 team I was referring to the adult women’s World Cup winning side.
Apologies  now ammended in my earlier post .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 249
pontoonlew
July 8, 2022, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I do think womens football would get less stick if there was less of the weird propaganda that goes with the coverage.

There’s no need to spend most of the coverage explaining why people have to like it. There’s no need to keep comparing it to the mens game, we don’t do just in any other sports but there seems to be a need in this? The two will never compare in quality, that’s absolutely fine, why is there a need to pretend otherwise? Also no need for a 3hr morning show on Sky Sports News. I heard constantly how Old Trafford sold out and how that shows it’s up there with the mens game, then they weirdly hid that 9k showed up last night at £10 a ticket.

Enjoy it for what it is and embrace the fact it’s growing at a decent rate but don’t alienate people with nonsense along the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 249
LondonMariner43
July 8, 2022, 11:46am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,977
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Heisenberg
The women’s game is clearly growing, and it’s awesome that so
many girls play, but all the hype about the pro game is OTT. Yes, the Euros will be a success, but if the tickets cost what they do for the men’s game, the stadiums would be a bit more sparse.

You’ll notice on tv there is a trend to big-up the women’s game at the expense of the men’s, but these are different days where the BBC’s priorities are 100% PC, rather than giving the public what they actually want.

The BBC promote it because they have the rights to broadcast it.  Why is the hype OTT?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 249
LondonMariner43
July 8, 2022, 11:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,977
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Morris Minor
All this talk about women's football is blown out of all proportion. It is a third-rate product with just a tiny bit of skill.
Big crowds etc are nothing more than a flash in the pan for curiosity's sake.

Let's settle it once and for all. England ladies (full strength) v England men (full strength). Winner takes all.
Would be interesting to see the score, any guesses.

I think at least 0-12 probably more

What a ridiculous post.  That’s like saying Martina Navratilova or Serena Williams aren’t as good a tennis players as Djokovic or similar because he’d always beat them in a game.  It doesn’t mean they aren’t great sports women and worth watching.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 249
OddShapedBalls
July 8, 2022, 12:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 40
I like the fact that there's 99% less diving, rolling around on the floor and gobbing off to the ref than you'll find in any men's game so I'm more than happy to watch it with my daughter, its a better example for the young 'uns.  

Even at the top level though I personally find women's football boring to watch. And I love Rugby Union so that's saying something.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 249
aldi_01
July 8, 2022, 12:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’ve seen a few comments saying the gamesmanship and ‘cheating’ isn’t as prevalent, May be so but then the vast sums of cash available to winners and the sheer levels of scrutiny aren’t attached to the ladies game…yet.

Comparing the two is silly though, much like comparing MLS with the premier league. They’re different in many ways. The women that play for England are the best in their field, to compare them to Harry Kane is ridiculous though. If you want to compare you have to also take in to account the investment, medical care, sports psychology, training, coaching and so on…Kane should be better.

Over time I’d imagine the strength of players will increase, some of the longer range passing I’ve seen and shooting from distance has been a bit excrement and like u16s football but with all those things we know improved the end game 30 years ago, the same will happen.

For me it’s like rugby, I don’t understand the differences but there are plenty and some like one and not the other, it’s the same. Mens and women’s football is football but they’re different and I choose to watch one over the other.

Of course the BBC hype it up, it’s about the only thing they can show these days…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 249
25 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women’s football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.