Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women’s football
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 102 Guests

Women’s football

This thread currently has 21,786 views. Print
25 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
RexFannies
July 26, 2022, 10:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
It’s the entertainment business and it’s entertaining. 10 years or so ago it was dire, now it’s not. I don’t really compare mens football to womens. England games are good but I wouldn’t go out my way to watch woman's league games.

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 140 - 249
Southwark Mariner
July 26, 2022, 10:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,574
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from lukeo
Ian Wright talking some excrement mind.

No change there then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 249
TownSNAFU5
July 26, 2022, 11:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
A tale of 2 keepers.  The England reserve keeper is also supposed to be very good.

England recovered from a shaky start again.  Showing intelligence and determination to find a way to score and then runaway with it.

Roll on Sun.  just start confidently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 249
Bristol Mariner
July 27, 2022, 6:30am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
That was great, will inspire a load a young girls to take the game up so can only be good. Wish my 16 year had done so it's another excuse to get out the house!

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 249
Rick12
July 27, 2022, 7:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from RexFannies
It’s the entertainment business and it’s entertaining. 10 years or so ago it was dire, now it’s not. I don’t really compare mens football to womens. England games are good but I wouldn’t go out my way to watch woman's league games.
Have to loosely agree with that.

I remember reading an article written on evolutionary biology by scientists and war has traditionally been done by men. As society has generally become less violent over the ages other sport replaces that void eg  football a traditional male orientated team game where aggression can be channeled in a controlled environment .

Having said that war probably to some degree will always be present in our human story due to hierarchy . We have seen that recently in the Ukraine war sadly .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 249
Humbercod
July 27, 2022, 7:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,502
Gold Stars: 83
I never thought I’d say it but that was better than watching the England men’s. Ireally enjoyed the game the quality of the passing was fantastic, both teams looked super fit with high tempo attacking from start to finish, none of this slowing the game down passing back all the time like we see with the men. The other thing that stood out for me was when the woman get fouled they just bounce back up, none of this rolling around crap waiting for super sponge.
I know the keepers get some stick, which ok you can’t really argue with that but the England keeper did have a great game and pulled off an amazing save that De Gea would of been proud of. I have a new found respect for the women’s team and really looking forward to watching the final.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 249
HertsGTFC
July 27, 2022, 8:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,075
Gold Stars: 238
They’ve done really well so far, I love their endeavour, work rate and ability to pass the ball.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 249
rancido
July 27, 2022, 9:02am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,679
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Heisenberg

“Our first tournament win since ‘66”

“Ellen White closing in on Wayne Rooney’s record……she’s beaten Harry Lane to it”

“Why can’t the men do it? The women have shown the way”

“The women should get paid the same as the men”……

This does bother me, I’ll admit it. The constant comparison with football, now known as “men’s football”. It just does my head in. There’s a reason why the women are doing so well - fair play to them, but the women’s game is in its infancy, therefore, understandably, most of the countries are of a poor standard.

I just don’t like the belittling of the game I’ve watched for 30+ years, and the BBC’s insistence that it’s on a par, and that the women’s game has “fans”. It isn’t. It hasn’t.

You sound like the " old far*s" of the FA in 1921 who banned women's football from all FA affiliated clubs and grounds. A ban that was only lifted in 1971. Considering women's football has only had 51 years to develop then the success of both the league's and the England team is amazing. You mention 1966 for England's men's success at the world cup. Considering that appearance was achieved after over 80 years of men's football in England and the women have matched that in 51 is phenomenal.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 249
lukeo
July 27, 2022, 9:19am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.06
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from Humbercod
I never thought I’d say it but that was better than watching the England men’s. Ireally enjoyed the game the quality of the passing was fantastic, both teams looked super fit with high tempo attacking from start to finish, none of this slowing the game down passing back all the time like we see with the men. The other thing that stood out for me was when the woman get fouled they just bounce back up, none of this rolling around crap waiting for super sponge.
I know the keepers get some stick, which ok you can’t really argue with that but the England keeper did have a great game and pulled off an amazing save that De Gea would of been proud of. I have a new found respect for the women’s team and really looking forward to watching the final.

Gold star for you. I'm looking forward to Sunday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 249
LH
July 27, 2022, 9:56am

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,617
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Heisenberg

“Our first tournament win since ‘66”

“Ellen White closing in on Wayne Rooney’s record……she’s beaten Harry Lane to it”

“Why can’t the men do it? The women have shown the way”

“The women should get paid the same as the men”……

This does bother me, I’ll admit it. The constant comparison with football, now known as “men’s football”. It just does my head in. There’s a reason why the women are doing so well - fair play to them, but the women’s game is in its infancy, therefore, understandably, most of the countries are of a poor standard.

I just don’t like the belittling of the game I’ve watched for 30+ years, and the BBC’s insistence that it’s on a par, and that the women’s game has “fans”. It isn’t. It hasn’t.

The stats do back the infancy stuff up. England Women played 9 games in 2021 scoring 60 goals - despite only scoring one in two games and being goalless in another. England’s mens team scored 51 in 17 and broke the 5 goal barrier 4 times (including one 10 vs San Marino).

I don’t know if this just shows how ruthless the women are and they just show no mercy to the plumberesses and postladies they’re playing or that the standard is just poor because the men still have to go to your San Marinos and your Andorras and get results.

The personal and team milestones are what they are: Player A HAS scored x goals for England, Team A HAS won Y tournament - they can only score past and win the tournaments they play against/in. The women’s game quality will improve but not evenly across the world due to how differently women are treated elsewhere.

Admittedly hearing 5Live say that the men’s EFL season starts this week did grip my excrement a bit on Monday.
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 249
25 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women’s football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.