3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
April 1, 2022, 6:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Statement about last year’s accounts on the Stockport website. Haven’t digested this properly yet but looks like they need to think very carefully about what they do next - are the player contracts they have now sustainable? Lots of investment and owner’s loan of £2.6m converted to equity.

https://www.stockportcounty.com/club-statement-financial-update/

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
GollyGTFC
April 1, 2022, 7:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Statement about last year’s accounts on the Stockport website. Haven’t digested this properly yet but looks like they need to think very carefully about what they do next - are the player contracts they have now sustainable? Lots of investment and owner’s loan of £2.6m converted to equity.

https://www.stockportcounty.com/club-statement-financial-update/

Firstly, you're under the assumption that the owner wants them to be "sustainable" and isn't happy to continue to fund losses. And they're currently walking towards the title which comes with promotion to L2 and an instant extra £1 million a year in EFL TV Money & Premier League solidarity payments.

I think they will be just fine.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 24
KingstonMariner
April 1, 2022, 9:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Firstly, you're under the assumption that the owner wants them to be "sustainable" and isn't happy to continue to fund losses. And they're currently walking towards the title which comes with promotion to L2 and an instant extra £1 million a year in EFL TV Money & Premier League solidarity payments.

I think they will be just fine.

Firstly, you’re under the assumption that I’m making assumptions about the owner’s wishes. Do you take lessons in being patronising or does it come naturally to you?

The point about sustainability is that when the sugar daddy loses interest or runs out of money a club can end up in the shît.

The extra million they’ll get in L2 could easily get eaten up with extra wage demands.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
GollyGTFC
April 1, 2022, 9:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Firstly, you’re under the assumption that I’m making assumptions about the owner’s wishes. Do you take lessons in being patronising or does it come naturally to you?

The point about sustainability is that when the sugar daddy loses interest or runs out of money a club can end up in the shît.

The extra million they’ll get in L2 could easily get eaten up with extra wage demands.

If I were you I would avoid our 2021-22 accounts when they are released next winter.

I just find it bizarre that so many Town fans obsess about "sugar daddy" owned clubs and talk about sustainability when we ourselves have owners that have and will continue to spend far beyond our means.

But I guess Stockport or whoever else are just shamelessly buying success whilst our owners are nobly investing in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 24
aldi_01
April 1, 2022, 10:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
My understanding is that the guy that owns Stockport is very much a county fan and whilst they’re spending big time get out of this out of a league, I’m not sure he’ll be going anywhere too soon.

You’d imagine for all the spending and natural excitement surrounding the club at the minute, county fans remember the not too distant past…

Of all the clubs being bankrolled in this league to have a concern about it’s probably Wrexham, I’m baffled as to what is going on there other than some play thing…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
jamesgtfc
April 1, 2022, 11:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC

If I were you I would avoid our 2021-22 accounts when they are released next winter.

I just find it bizarre that so many Town fans obsess about "sugar daddy" owned clubs and talk about sustainability when we ourselves have owners that have and will continue to spend far beyond our means.

But I guess Stockport or whoever else are just shamelessly buying success whilst our owners are nobly investing in the future.

Stockwood has gone on record to say that he personally knows the Stockport owner but his approach to financing a football club is totally different. We've already been told our accounts will be running at a significant loss for the next couple of years but much of that is going on infrastructure.

Isn't it funny that many of the clubs spending wages well beyond their means are the ones who have done so previously?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
Maringer
April 2, 2022, 12:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,649
Gold Stars: 189
Also worth considering that Stockport aren't in exactly the same situation as us as their council owns their ground. The club has a ludicrously long lease so I expect their owner is mostly spending on players at the moment. Our current owners have been spending money on upkeep and improvements of BP which had been on the back burner for some years/decades.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
GollyGTFC
April 2, 2022, 6:37am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Stockwood has gone on record to say that he personally knows the Stockport owner but his approach to financing a football club is totally different. We've already been told our accounts will be running at a significant loss for the next couple of years but much of that is going on infrastructure.

Isn't it funny that many of the clubs spending wages well beyond their means are the ones who have done so previously?

Sorry, but we were told after the takeover that our wage budget this season would be higher than last season in League 2. Whilst some much need infrastructure improvements have been caught up with we are clearly spending more on wages than our income would allow without our owners investing in/bankrolling the club.

That approach isn’t dirty or cheating. Andrew & Jason have been very clear how they might recoup their investment without drawing money from future club operating revenue. If the club rises through the league system the clubs value will increase and the shares they own will be worth more than the price they paid for them to the point that hopefully the increase in their share will offset the money they have put into the club for those infrastructure improvements & to cover the increase in wage budget.

We will see what happens next season when all those costly infrastructure improvements have already been done. Will the wage budget be increased? That is quite possible given that money budgeted for over future seasons to pay off our former “principle funder” has been covered by player sales & historic add-on clauses. We’ll see.

Obviously the best case scenario is we win the play-offs and get promoted. But if we don’t ideally Stockport & Wrexham will be promoted because those are the 2 most dangerous  clubs. Stockport because they have spent money extremely intelligently and Wrexham because they have spunked so much cash that eventually they will get promoted. Without those 2 next season we’re left with Chesterfield and Notts County who have spent big money, but both of them have done a poor job doing it. Notts are all over the place and Chesterfield put all their eggs in one basket and disaster struck.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 24
dapperz fun pub
April 2, 2022, 7:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 84
[quote=120785]

I had to laugh when I read the above coming from the most patronising poster on this forum
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
jamesgtfc
April 2, 2022, 8:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Sorry, but we were told after the takeover that our wage budget this season would be higher than last season in League 2. Whilst some much need infrastructure improvements have been caught up with we are clearly spending more on wages than our income would allow without our owners investing in/bankrolling the club.

That approach isn’t dirty or cheating. Andrew & Jason have been very clear how they might recoup their investment without drawing money from future club operating revenue. If the club rises through the league system the clubs value will increase and the shares they own will be worth more than the price they paid for them to the point that hopefully the increase in their share will offset the money they have put into the club for those infrastructure improvements & to cover the increase in wage budget.

We will see what happens next season when all those costly infrastructure improvements have already been done. Will the wage budget be increased? That is quite possible given that money budgeted for over future seasons to pay off our former “principle funder” has been covered by player sales & historic add-on clauses. We’ll see.

Obviously the best case scenario is we win the play-offs and get promoted. But if we don’t ideally Stockport & Wrexham will be promoted because those are the 2 most dangerous  clubs. Stockport because they have spent money extremely intelligently and Wrexham because they have spunked so much cash that eventually they will get promoted. Without those 2 next season we’re left with Chesterfield and Notts County who have spent big money, but both of them have done a poor job doing it. Notts are all over the place and Chesterfield put all their eggs in one basket and disaster struck.

1000 extra bums on seats for 22 games at £15 a head on average is £330k over the season. I'm not saying that they aren't putting money in to boost the wage budget but we aren't throwing loads of cash at the playing budget like Stockport, Chesterfield and Wrexham. Within the wage budget this season we've been paying Luke Spokes and Ira Jackson who haven't played plus Danny Rose and Felipe Morais. I appreciate that 2 of those settled their contracts but it's still cost us. You can add the barely seen Sean Scannell to that list and James McKeown must be one of the best paid keepers in this division.

Given our insistence on Covid clauses I imagine we had relegation clauses but there was still a significant amount of wages under contract before the rebuild began.

I hope we move towards the Peterborough model once our benign debt is gone with our focus being on developing players to sell on for profit and reinvest.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stockport financial statement

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.