Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 1, 2022, 6:12pm
Statement about last year’s accounts on the Stockport website. Haven’t digested this properly yet but looks like they need to think very carefully about what they do next - are the player contracts they have now sustainable? Lots of investment and owner’s loan of £2.6m converted to equity.

https://www.stockportcounty.com/club-statement-financial-update/

Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 1, 2022, 7:27pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Statement about last year’s accounts on the Stockport website. Haven’t digested this properly yet but looks like they need to think very carefully about what they do next - are the player contracts they have now sustainable? Lots of investment and owner’s loan of £2.6m converted to equity.

https://www.stockportcounty.com/club-statement-financial-update/

Firstly, you're under the assumption that the owner wants them to be "sustainable" and isn't happy to continue to fund losses. And they're currently walking towards the title which comes with promotion to L2 and an instant extra £1 million a year in EFL TV Money & Premier League solidarity payments.

I think they will be just fine.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 1, 2022, 9:09pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Firstly, you're under the assumption that the owner wants them to be "sustainable" and isn't happy to continue to fund losses. And they're currently walking towards the title which comes with promotion to L2 and an instant extra £1 million a year in EFL TV Money & Premier League solidarity payments.

I think they will be just fine.

Firstly, you’re under the assumption that I’m making assumptions about the owner’s wishes. Do you take lessons in being patronising or does it come naturally to you?

The point about sustainability is that when the sugar daddy loses interest or runs out of money a club can end up in the shît.

The extra million they’ll get in L2 could easily get eaten up with extra wage demands.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 1, 2022, 9:57pm; Reply: 3

Firstly, you’re under the assumption that I’m making assumptions about the owner’s wishes. Do you take lessons in being patronising or does it come naturally to you?

The point about sustainability is that when the sugar daddy loses interest or runs out of money a club can end up in the shît.

The extra million they’ll get in L2 could easily get eaten up with extra wage demands.

If I were you I would avoid our 2021-22 accounts when they are released next winter.

I just find it bizarre that so many Town fans obsess about "sugar daddy" owned clubs and talk about sustainability when we ourselves have owners that have and will continue to spend far beyond our means.

But I guess Stockport or whoever else are just shamelessly buying success whilst our owners are nobly investing in the future.
Posted by: aldi_01, April 1, 2022, 10:45pm; Reply: 4
My understanding is that the guy that owns Stockport is very much a county fan and whilst they’re spending big time get out of this out of a league, I’m not sure he’ll be going anywhere too soon.

You’d imagine for all the spending and natural excitement surrounding the club at the minute, county fans remember the not too distant past…

Of all the clubs being bankrolled in this league to have a concern about it’s probably Wrexham, I’m baffled as to what is going on there other than some play thing…
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 1, 2022, 11:42pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from GollyGTFC

If I were you I would avoid our 2021-22 accounts when they are released next winter.

I just find it bizarre that so many Town fans obsess about "sugar daddy" owned clubs and talk about sustainability when we ourselves have owners that have and will continue to spend far beyond our means.

But I guess Stockport or whoever else are just shamelessly buying success whilst our owners are nobly investing in the future.

Stockwood has gone on record to say that he personally knows the Stockport owner but his approach to financing a football club is totally different. We've already been told our accounts will be running at a significant loss for the next couple of years but much of that is going on infrastructure.

Isn't it funny that many of the clubs spending wages well beyond their means are the ones who have done so previously?
Posted by: Maringer, April 2, 2022, 12:11am; Reply: 6
Also worth considering that Stockport aren't in exactly the same situation as us as their council owns their ground. The club has a ludicrously long lease so I expect their owner is mostly spending on players at the moment. Our current owners have been spending money on upkeep and improvements of BP which had been on the back burner for some years/decades.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 2, 2022, 6:37am; Reply: 7
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Stockwood has gone on record to say that he personally knows the Stockport owner but his approach to financing a football club is totally different. We've already been told our accounts will be running at a significant loss for the next couple of years but much of that is going on infrastructure.

Isn't it funny that many of the clubs spending wages well beyond their means are the ones who have done so previously?

Sorry, but we were told after the takeover that our wage budget this season would be higher than last season in League 2. Whilst some much need infrastructure improvements have been caught up with we are clearly spending more on wages than our income would allow without our owners investing in/bankrolling the club.

That approach isn’t dirty or cheating. Andrew & Jason have been very clear how they might recoup their investment without drawing money from future club operating revenue. If the club rises through the league system the clubs value will increase and the shares they own will be worth more than the price they paid for them to the point that hopefully the increase in their share will offset the money they have put into the club for those infrastructure improvements & to cover the increase in wage budget.

We will see what happens next season when all those costly infrastructure improvements have already been done. Will the wage budget be increased? That is quite possible given that money budgeted for over future seasons to pay off our former “principle funder” has been covered by player sales & historic add-on clauses. We’ll see.

Obviously the best case scenario is we win the play-offs and get promoted. But if we don’t ideally Stockport & Wrexham will be promoted because those are the 2 most dangerous  clubs. Stockport because they have spent money extremely intelligently and Wrexham because they have spunked so much cash that eventually they will get promoted. Without those 2 next season we’re left with Chesterfield and Notts County who have spent big money, but both of them have done a poor job doing it. Notts are all over the place and Chesterfield put all their eggs in one basket and disaster struck.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 2, 2022, 7:53am; Reply: 8
[quote=120785]

I had to laugh when I read the above coming from the most patronising poster on this forum
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 2, 2022, 8:29am; Reply: 9
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Sorry, but we were told after the takeover that our wage budget this season would be higher than last season in League 2. Whilst some much need infrastructure improvements have been caught up with we are clearly spending more on wages than our income would allow without our owners investing in/bankrolling the club.

That approach isn’t dirty or cheating. Andrew & Jason have been very clear how they might recoup their investment without drawing money from future club operating revenue. If the club rises through the league system the clubs value will increase and the shares they own will be worth more than the price they paid for them to the point that hopefully the increase in their share will offset the money they have put into the club for those infrastructure improvements & to cover the increase in wage budget.

We will see what happens next season when all those costly infrastructure improvements have already been done. Will the wage budget be increased? That is quite possible given that money budgeted for over future seasons to pay off our former “principle funder” has been covered by player sales & historic add-on clauses. We’ll see.

Obviously the best case scenario is we win the play-offs and get promoted. But if we don’t ideally Stockport & Wrexham will be promoted because those are the 2 most dangerous  clubs. Stockport because they have spent money extremely intelligently and Wrexham because they have spunked so much cash that eventually they will get promoted. Without those 2 next season we’re left with Chesterfield and Notts County who have spent big money, but both of them have done a poor job doing it. Notts are all over the place and Chesterfield put all their eggs in one basket and disaster struck.

1000 extra bums on seats for 22 games at £15 a head on average is £330k over the season. I'm not saying that they aren't putting money in to boost the wage budget but we aren't throwing loads of cash at the playing budget like Stockport, Chesterfield and Wrexham. Within the wage budget this season we've been paying Luke Spokes and Ira Jackson who haven't played plus Danny Rose and Felipe Morais. I appreciate that 2 of those settled their contracts but it's still cost us. You can add the barely seen Sean Scannell to that list and James McKeown must be one of the best paid keepers in this division.

Given our insistence on Covid clauses I imagine we had relegation clauses but there was still a significant amount of wages under contract before the rebuild began.

I hope we move towards the Peterborough model once our benign debt is gone with our focus being on developing players to sell on for profit and reinvest.
Posted by: rancido, April 2, 2022, 8:31am; Reply: 10
Quoted from aldi_01
My understanding is that the guy that owns Stockport is very much a county fan and whilst they’re spending big time get out of this out of a league, I’m not sure he’ll be going anywhere too soon.

You’d imagine for all the spending and natural excitement surrounding the club at the minute, county fans remember the not too distant past…

Of all the clubs being bankrolled in this league to have a concern about it’s probably Wrexham, I’m baffled as to what is going on there other than some play thing…

I seem to recall that The Leech was very much a town fan but is no longer on the scene. But until he's had his "pound of flesh" his stench will still pervade the BP atmosphere.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 2, 2022, 8:33am; Reply: 11
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I still don’t get this statement by stockwood that we’ll post a loss. The income from gate receipts is clearly higher than they anticipated, yet where is the huge infrastructure investment we talk about? A lick of paint and a new glass handrail?

I’m not saying they’re not going to invest, I trust them, but until we have a new training ground (not polishing a turd) then I can’t see they’ve broken the bank quite yet.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 2, 2022, 8:51am; Reply: 12
A thread in the best traditions of the Fishy, posters citing other clubs perceived mis management and spending beyond their means as the only reason for success. When actually I’d suspect they’re quite envious.

Others having a pop at each other for having a different view or not liking the tone of the game post.

I know Stockport have spent big this season but they do get good gates are backed by what appears to be good people, until we see their numbers for this year we’ll not be able to understand they’re sustainability.

Generally whatever Division you’re in you have to spend more on players and wages to get promoted, there are exceptions like yo-yo clubs or those who have a late season run but in this league at the moment for a season or two we need to get the likes of Stockport, Wrexham and Chesterfield out of the way to level the playing field. You would imagine that at least 1 of the clubs relegated from league 2 won’t be spending big next season 🤔
Posted by: scrumble, April 2, 2022, 9:35am; Reply: 13
Quoted from aldi_01

I don't think Wrexham are bank rolled as much as you'd think. Just having Reynolds name attached has attracted big sponsorship deals and a TV series.

Wrexham and Stockport have a fan base to work with. If they make back in to the league they can survive on their own. Its clubs like FGR that get me. Barely any fans, based in a village with a population less than our average attendance. Take the owners money away and they fold almost straight away
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 3, 2022, 4:40pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Heisenberg

I still don’t get this statement by stockwood that we’ll post a loss. The income from gate receipts is clearly higher than they anticipated, yet where is the huge infrastructure investment we talk about? A lick of paint and a new glass handrail?

I’m not saying they’re not going to invest, I trust them, but until we have a new training ground (not polishing a turd) then I can’t see they’ve broken the bank quite yet.

When the 20/21 accounts were published 1878 Partners said they had put in £1.125 million on top of the purchase of the club. So expect a loss in that region.

We’ve lost around £600,000 in Premier League solidarity payments with relegation and our wage bill has been significantly increased (both playing and non-playing).

Add to that the investment in new pitches at BP and Cheapside, installing sprinklers at BP, general training ground improvements, the new glass barrier in the Upper, removing the old scoreboard posts, replacing the Main Stand roof advertisement board frames and all the other little jobs that have been done and we are going to make a massive loss this season.

And if we’re not promoted our parachute payment is halved next season, so that’s another £225,000 of income gone. And the following season it would be the whole £450,000 gone.

Stockwood and Pettit are bankrolling the club. There can be no other way of looking at it.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 3, 2022, 4:44pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from GollyGTFC

When the 20/21 accounts were published 1878 Partners said they had put in £1.125 million on top of the purchase of the club. So expect a loss in that region.

We’ve lost around £600,000 in Premier League solidarity payments with relegation and our wage bill has been significantly increased (both playing and non-playing).

Add to that the investment in new pitches at BP and Cheapside, installing sprinklers at BP, general training ground improvements, the new glass barrier in the Upper, removing the old scoreboard posts, replacing the Main Stand roof advertisement board frames and all the other little jobs that have been done and we are going to make a massive loss this season.

And if we’re not promoted our parachute payment is halved next season, so that’s another £225,000 of income gone. And the following season it would be the whole £450,000 gone.

Stockwood and Pettit are bankrolling the club. There can be no other way of looking at it.

That is interesting, thanks for the details.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 3, 2022, 7:05pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from HertsGTFC
A thread in the best traditions of the Fishy, posters citing other clubs perceived mis management and spending beyond their means as the only reason for success. When actually I’d suspect they’re quite envious.

Others having a pop at each other for having a different view or not liking the tone of the game post.

I know Stockport have spent big this season but they do get good gates are backed by what appears to be good people, until we see their numbers for this year we’ll not be able to understand they’re sustainability.

Generally whatever Division you’re in you have to spend more on players and wages to get promoted, there are exceptions like yo-yo clubs or those who have a late season run but in this league at the moment for a season or two we need to get the likes of Stockport, Wrexham and Chesterfield out of the way to level the playing field. You would imagine that at least 1 of the clubs relegated from league 2 won’t be spending big next season 🤔

For fûck’s sake Herts I posed a question in the OP and made no judgment. Golly then goes off on one in his superior ‘I can do sums’ way. I said nothing about mismanagement. And I commented that Stockport’s owner had actually turned his loan into equity.
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, April 3, 2022, 7:22pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from scrumble

I don't think Wrexham are bank rolled as much as you'd think. Just having Reynolds name attached has attracted big sponsorship deals and a TV series.

Wrexham and Stockport have a fan base to work with. If they make back in to the league they can survive on their own. Its clubs like FGR that get me. Barely any fans, based in a village with a population less than our average attendance. Take the owners money away and they fold almost straight away

See Rushden & Diamonds

Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 3, 2022, 7:23pm; Reply: 18

For fûck’s sake Herts I posed a question in the OP and made no judgment. Golly then goes off on one in his superior ‘I can do sums’ way. I said nothing about mismanagement. And I commented that Stockport’s owner had actually turned his loan into equity.

I would like to apologise for having achieved an A grade in my Maths GCSE in 1997 and for subsequently getting a B grade in A-Level Maths in 1999. Both were achieved at the Grammar School I attended after passing my 11+ in 1992.

That superior enough?
Posted by: Hagrid, April 3, 2022, 7:43pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I would like to apologise for having achieved an A grade in my Maths GCSE in 1997 and for subsequently getting a B grade in A-Level Maths in 1999. Both were achieved at the Grammar School I attended after passing my 11+ in 1992.

That superior enough?

I was 2 when you got your GCSE

Just wanted to make you feel old😂
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 3, 2022, 7:57pm; Reply: 20

I wasn’t having a pop at you mate to be honest I was being generic.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 3, 2022, 8:01pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Hagrid

I was 2 when you got your GCSE

Just wanted to make you feel old😂

That just means you were 8 when we dropped out of the 2nd tier for the final time. Whereas we were at that level for 18 of the first 23 football seasons I lived through.

Just wanted to make you feel sad👍🏼
Posted by: Hagrid, April 3, 2022, 9:04pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from GollyGTFC

That just means you were 8 when we dropped out of the 2nd tier for the final time. Whereas we were at that level for 18 of the first 23 football seasons I lived through.

Just wanted to make you feel sad👍🏼

Why would that make me feel sad?😂

Even when someone tries have a laugh with you, you come across as a patronising sharp object
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 4, 2022, 5:32am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Hagrid

Why would that make me feel sad?😂

Even when someone tries have a laugh with you, you come across as a patronising sharp object

“Young” fan makes joke about another forum user being old.

“Old” fan returns with a joke that at least my age meant I experienced Town as an established 2nd tier side.

“Young” fan cries and abuses “old” fan.

That is how our interaction went. Grow up.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 4, 2022, 12:19pm; Reply: 24
Put the toys away guys, there's enough threads on this forum at the minute ruined by petty arguments without adding to another one...

The constant willy waving contests is getting a bit tiresome to be honest.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 12:49pm