Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Safe standing coming back?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 247 Guests

Safe standing coming back?

This thread currently has 2,927 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 29, 2021, 10:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
Not for me, as I prefer a nice seat with a better view, but it seems that the government may be legislating to bring back safe standing in the PL/Football League:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58357046

A populist government is useful on the odd occasion and I'm sure this would be welcomed by many fans, providing it is done right and safely. I'm assuming the legislation would make its way down to our level as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
GrimRob
August 29, 2021, 11:52am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
They are also thinking of bringing back smoking areas. Back to the good old days  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 25
promotion plaice
August 29, 2021, 12:00pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,087
Gold Stars: 200

Spent part of yesterdays game standing anyway, the bloke in front of me kept standing up when we got anywhere near Weymouth's penalty box, I always get them.

Couldn't be bothered to say anything to him as I was too busy calming the drunk bloke next to me who was constantly slagging the team off before we scored  

Not an area of the Upper I normally sit in  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
grimps
August 29, 2021, 1:11pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Maybe we could install some in the open corners rather than use them as a car park ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
mimma
August 29, 2021, 2:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
SAFE standing would mean the use of rails for each step making it very expensive to install with little extra capacity. Rail seats that allow standing and also seating when required even more expensive. Do we want to spend money that's needed elswhere?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
ska face
August 29, 2021, 2:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from mimma
SAFE standing would mean the use of rails for each step making it very expensive to install with little extra capacity. Rail seats that allow standing and also seating when required even more expensive. Do we want to spend money that's needed elswhere?

A few blocks of rail seating would almost certainly improve the atmosphere and overall experience, so a definite yes from me.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
Poojah
August 29, 2021, 3:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Long overdue if it happens. Change was needed to English stadia following Hillsborough and the Taylor report, and we probably have it to thank for the fact that the standard of our grounds is generally higher than anywhere else in the world, but the regulations were inconsistent and unnecessarily strict.

Why is it currently ok to have a packed terrace in an antiquated stand in League One but not in a world class, modern stadium in the Premier League?

Not withstanding the disastrous policing that fateful day, another Hillsborough couldn’t happen in this country today with or without so-called safe standing. The old pen system and perimeter fencing were largely at fault, neither of which are rightly in existence today. I’d even argue safe standing is safer than seating in many respects - I’ve fallen over the shin high seats of the row below plenty of times in the midst of a goal celebration melee. The row by row crush barriers present in safe standing areas prevents this kind of thing happening.

This sounds like good news, but it’s taken way too long for basic common sense to prevail.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
aldi_01
August 29, 2021, 3:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Poojah
Long overdue if it happens. Change was needed to English stadia following Hillsborough and the Taylor report, and we probably have it to thank for the fact that the standard of our grounds is generally higher than anywhere else in the world, but the regulations were inconsistent and unnecessarily strict.

Why is it currently ok to have a packed terrace in an antiquated stand in League One but not in a world class, modern stadium in the Premier League?

Not withstanding the disastrous policing that fateful day, another Hillsborough couldn’t happen in this country today with or without so-called safe standing. The old pen system and perimeter fencing were largely at fault, neither of which are rightly in existence today. I’d even argue safe standing is safer than seating in many respects - I’ve fallen over the shin high seats of the row below plenty of times in the midst of a goal celebration melee. The row by row crush barriers present in safe standing areas prevents this kind of thing happening.

This sounds like good news, but it’s taken way too long for basic common sense to prevail.

Interesting that you mention pens holding folk in, I was at Leeds festival on Friday and whilst I’m aware they’ve done it for a while, they’ve got like 4 main pens, closest are the smallest and then back two are the biggest. I was more squashed in for a gig than I’ve ever had other than the usual squash you get down the front. It also hindered the crowd/atmosphere to be honest.

I’ve been at gigs without this, many a big gig ad felt better at those than this one…

Standing needs to return, we’re not taking about returning to big open terraces and excrement toilets etc, but standing is better and creates a wetter atmosphere.

If the yanks can embrace stranding and smoke bombs and drinking in front of the game in their litigation and H&S mad sue culture then we really should give it a go…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
Limerick Mariner
August 29, 2021, 3:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from aldi_01

Interesting that you mention pens holding folk in, I was at Leeds festival on Friday and whilst I’m aware they’ve done it for a while, they’ve got like 4 main pens, closest are the smallest and then back two are the biggest. I was more squashed in for a gig than I’ve ever had other than the usual squash you get down the front. It also hindered the crowd/atmosphere to be honest.

I’ve been at gigs without this, many a big gig ad felt better at those than this one…

Standing needs to return, we’re not taking about returning to big open terraces and excrement toilets etc, but standing is better and creates a wetter atmosphere.

If the yanks can embrace stranding and smoke bombs and drinking in front of the game in their litigation and H&S mad sue culture then we really should give it a go…

By this do you mean when people can't get to be bothered to queue for the toilets like used to happen in Kop or do mean some kind of watersport fun thing (or perhaps fetish thing)?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
GollyGTFC
August 29, 2021, 3:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Maringer
Not for me, as I prefer a nice seat with a better view, but it seems that the government may be legislating to bring back safe standing in the PL/Football League:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58357046

A populist government is useful on the odd occasion and I'm sure this would be welcomed by many fans, providing it is done right and safely. I'm assuming the legislation would make its way down to our level as well.

Sorry to be a pedant, but we’ve never had safe standing in English football so they’re not bringing it back but thinking of introducing it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Safe standing coming back?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.