Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Safe standing coming back?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 211 Guests

Safe standing coming back?

This thread currently has 2,926 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mallyner
August 29, 2021, 3:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from promotion plaice

Spent part of yesterdays game standing anyway, the bloke in front of me kept standing up when we got anywhere near Weymouth's penalty box, I always get them.

Not an area of the Upper I normally sit in  

Probably the place where I sit. I don't know why they do it, the seating is nicely elevated and you can see everything; until of course people stand up in front of you.  

Another bugbear of mine is sitting near to an aisle; and I have no objection when people leave early perhaps to catch a bus, but just go. Please don't stop and stand in front of me blocking my view, when there is a bit of goalmouth excitement.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
friskneymariner
August 29, 2021, 3:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from GrimRob
They are also thinking of bringing back smoking areas. Back to the good old days  

Yeah like t.b ricketts and polio

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Poojah
August 29, 2021, 3:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from aldi_01

Interesting that you mention pens holding folk in, I was at Leeds festival on Friday and whilst I’m aware they’ve done it for a while, they’ve got like 4 main pens, closest are the smallest and then back two are the biggest. I was more squashed in for a gig than I’ve ever had other than the usual squash you get down the front. It also hindered the crowd/atmosphere to be honest.

I’ve been at gigs without this, many a big gig ad felt better at those than this one…

Standing needs to return, we’re not taking about returning to big open terraces and excrement toilets etc, but standing is better and creates a wetter atmosphere.

If the yanks can embrace stranding and smoke bombs and drinking in front of the game in their litigation and H&S mad sue culture then we really should give it a go…

Agree with that - there’s not much to take from the US’ take on soccerball (in particular those daft hockey style halfway line shootouts they had over there in the 90s) but some of their new football dedicated stadiums are really good. The one in Orlando stands out, which appears to be based on the traditional English ground layout with a massive terrace at one end.

[img]https://www.footballgroundmap.com/data/photos/orlando-city-stadium13913l.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.footballgroundmap.com/data/photos/orlando-city-stadium13922l.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.footballgroundmap.com/data/photos/orlando-city-stadium13916l.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.footballgroundmap.com/data/photos/orlando-city-stadium28101l.jpg[/img]
No reason at all we couldn’t have something like this in this country.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
LH
August 29, 2021, 4:48pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
If it does come back I’d like us to fill the two corners at the Pontoon end with open safe terraces. Ideally you’d do the whole Pontoon and Lower with it but I reckon there’d be people who
have become accustomed to sitting so it’d be unfair to boot them out of it now.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Jaws
August 29, 2021, 6:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
I don't get everyone's obsession with this. Most people I have seen who want this, sit in areas of the ground where it won't be installed i.e. upper findus.

If we got it, we would install it in the left side of the Pontoon, which would be a total waste of money as most people stand the whole game anyway, and have been for the majority of the past 10 years. There's no point installing it anywhere else in the ground as it won't get the take up or will just force other supporters, who want to sit down, to move elsewhere in the ground.

It's generally OK in that corner of the pontoon with the standing that happens now- so unless the club get a directive to stamp down on it, then there's probably not much point in pursuing it.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
aldi_01
August 29, 2021, 8:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Poojah

Agree with that - there’s not much to take from the US’ take on soccerball (in particular those daft hockey style halfway line shootouts they had over there in the 90s) but some of their new football dedicated stadiums are really good. The one in Orlando stands out, which appears to be based on the traditional English ground layout with a massive terrace at one end.

[img]https://www.footballgroundmap.com/data/photos/orlando-city-stadium13913l.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.footballgroundmap.com/data/photos/orlando-city-stadium13922l.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.footballgroundmap.com/data/photos/orlando-city-stadium13916l.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.footballgroundmap.com/data/photos/orlando-city-stadium28101l.jpg[/img]
No reason at all we couldn’t have something like this in this country.

I’ve been to see Orlando and stood on the terrace and whilst the atmosphere still feels false to some extent, you’re right, everything is set up right.

If you don’t like smoke bombs, drums, shouting and singing, don’t stand behind the goal. Simples. You get a wrist band on entry confirming you have a standing ticket but you’re free to roam the stadium (not including away section) and can see your mates etc.

The views are decent and around the city, recognised Orlando city pubs serve beer at the same prices, sell dedicated merchandise and everywhere is pedestrianised.

The game is excrement, it’s Americanised but they’re miles ahead in some aspects. My match day experience was better than anything I’ve had here…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
denni266
August 29, 2021, 10:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Sod that lol  takes me all my time to stand for a pee now lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Maringer
August 29, 2021, 11:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,647
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Sorry to be a pedant, but we’ve never had safe standing in English football so they’re not bringing it back but thinking of introducing it.

Good pedantry. I didn't mean to infer that previous standing arrangements were particularly safe. I just don't proof-read my messages so well when I'm sitting on the khazi.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 30, 2021, 9:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 180
In principle a great idea, and one I’m all for (on the odd occasion I actually get to a game!) but it reminds me of that bloke who owns the house on the m62 near Huddersfield. You’ve probably got (at least) 1 season ticket holder that has been sat in the same spot for 20 plus years that won’t want to move, and it’s their prerogative to have that right too. It would work better, imho, in the centre of the pontoon or maybe even the osmond corner.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
aldi_01
August 30, 2021, 10:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
In principle a great idea, and one I’m all for (on the odd occasion I actually get to a game!) but it reminds me of that bloke who owns the house on the m62 near Huddersfield. You’ve probably got (at least) 1 season ticket holder that has been sat in the same spot for 20 plus years that won’t want to move, and it’s their prerogative to have that right too. It would work better, imho, in the centre of the pontoon or maybe even the osmond corner.

I’m the only person to ever sit in my seat and have a season ticket there since it became all seater, lower findus. If they wanna rip them out for safe standing they can…if people don’t like it move elsewhere if they wanna sit down.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Safe standing coming back?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.