Reply: 1 - 93
aldi_01
August 11, 2021, 11:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
So they’ve said what any sensible person would’ve assumed…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 93
Jarmo.Is.God
August 11, 2021, 11:37am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Already over budget.

Lol its started  

I would assume Fox has come in as a big earner, and unlike Rose last season, he's 23, and looks like a league player, so happy with that one.
I also think Coke would of been kept on at a 'higher than average' wage, which again, no complaints on that.

We are over budget because we are still paying players a weekly wage.
Not saying this site is accurate, but if its close, then we are currently spending £3220 per week on Rose, Williams & Jackson (All players that won't be playing)  - https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-two/grimsby-town/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 93
jamesgtfc
August 11, 2021, 11:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Already over budget.

Lol its started  

They have spent more than what they thought needed to be spent doesn't necessarily mean we are over the playing budget.

Maybe we anticipated having the likes of Williams, Morais and Rose off the wage bill by now? I wouldn't be surprised if them 3 are costing us something in the region of £5k every week to do nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 93
LondonMariner43
August 11, 2021, 11:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,978
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Already over budget.

Lol its started  

What has started?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 93
Poojah
August 11, 2021, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Not saying this site is accurate, but if its close, then we are currently spending £3220 per week on Rose, Williams & Jackson (All players that won't be playing)  - https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-two/grimsby-town/

I bloody well hope it isn't because if you're telling me we spent well over half-a-million quid last season on Bennett, Hanson, Green, Rose and Williams then I'm going to have a fúcking aneurism.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 93
GollyGTFC
August 11, 2021, 11:55am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
I would think we’re over the original budget because we haven’t offloaded any of Jackson, Morais, Rose, Williams, Starbuck or Idehen & I imagine we’re paying a hefty chunk of Gibson’s wages too.

I think we should invite Danny Rose back into the first team squad under the proviso he gets fully vaccinated.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 93
louth_in_the_south
August 11, 2021, 11:58am

Exile
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
250k for Tshimanga is way over the top. I’d be thinking we’d been skanked paying that much and I’m guessing that’s what hurst and stockwood were thinking. That much ££ buys a load of decent players at this level

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 12:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Poojah

I bloody well hope it isn't because if you're telling me we spent well over half-a-million quid last season on Bennett, Hanson, Green, Rose and Williams then I'm going to have a fúcking aneurism.

I would call your doctor because that figure isn’t far off.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 93
MarinerMal
August 11, 2021, 12:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
“It’s not infinite – without going into detail, we’ve spent more than we anticipated would be required once we got into the organisation.

“The budget was set, and that’s not going to be decreased in any way. We want to be competitive in this league, and that continues."

Is he just referring to more than the playing side here? I think he is saying they have had to spend more on the club itself than first anticipated.

He seems to suggest while that is the case, they will still honour the budget they originally gave to Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 93
Jarmo.Is.God
August 11, 2021, 1:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Poojah

Believe Bennett wages was correct, but we was only paying a % of it, and Bristol Rovers the remainder
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 93
Belfast Town
August 11, 2021, 1:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,698
Gold Stars: 19
The key quote for me is:

“We’ve strapped ourselves in for some reasonably large losses over the next couple of years, but that’s with a view to improving the organisation at the same time.”

These are astute, responsible business people who are passionate about the club and wider community. They know what they’re doing and are definitely going about it in the right way.

Money doesn’t guarantee success and certainly not quick sustainable success. We’re rebuilding and doing so in the right way. Whether we like it or not, this is going to take time and there will be plenty of bumps along the way.

The main thing is that our club is now going in the right direction. Have faith UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 93
lew chaterleys lover
August 11, 2021, 3:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Belfast Town
The key quote for me is:

“We’ve strapped ourselves in for some reasonably large losses over the next couple of years, but that’s with a view to improving the organisation at the same time.”

These are astute, responsible business people who are passionate about the club and wider community. They know what they’re doing and are definitely going about it in the right way.

Money doesn’t guarantee success and certainly not quick sustainable success. We’re rebuilding and doing so in the right way. Whether we like it or not, this is going to take time and there will be plenty of bumps along the way.

The main thing is that our club is now going in the right direction. Have faith UTFM

All well and good. We can see the logic behind it and appreciate it is going to be a mid to long term ambition to turn the "organisation" around but we won't be thinking of that on a Saturday afternoon when we fail to score for the umpteenth time because we did not think it important enough to have a comparable budget for strikers as our main competitors.

In reality, I don't think people will be very patient having waited all these years for change if we don't have one of the very best, if not the best team in our league.

If they have given the manager the budget necessary and he cannot spend it then fair enough, but with 10 days to go before the season starts  I would be more inclined to think his main targets have been missed because we would not pay the fee involved and/or wages.

I am another who has not renewed 2 season tickets because I expected more excitement and intent to get us back into the league pronto.

I would go as far as to say it will be a bloody nightmare if we are not right up there from the off.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 93
Humbercod
August 11, 2021, 3:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Belfast Town
The key quote for me is:

The direction is a sustainable one they say which is funny because we’ve been sustainably excrement for many years. Off the pitch a lick of paint here and there and a decent sprinkler may be welcome, but financially 3-4000 punters 20 odd times a year is not going to keep the club financially sustainable (unless we plan on a long stay in non league) the last board would confirm.

The club needs big investment before we can talk about sustainability wether this is internally or externally but the owners have already dropped any talk of a new ground, our transfer budget looks to be nothing like a top end one, but to be fair I think they might of worded it as competitive.

A bit concerning the owners felt the need to go public with talk about not spending reckless, I’d hazard a guess that they’ve either slapped Hurst down for more money but covered themselves for further down the line, or they’ve been reading the Fishy!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 93
EvilFish
August 11, 2021, 3:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
Twenty years of Fenty.

Part five on its way. That should put the sycophants back in the hole they've chosen to crawl out of...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 93
marinerjase
August 11, 2021, 3:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
Jesus wept…

Some people..

Correct me if I’m wrong but the new owners have never once said they’d have the best budget, or be prepared to splash out over the odds.

There’s no quick fix. As someone said the other day the clubs reputation was in the gutter from previous relationships with other clubs, players and media. The working conditions awful, ground in ruins..list is endless..

It will take time..but improvement , gradual..along the way and signs of progress, on and off pitch are sufficient enough for those level headed supporters.

There’s no need to panic before a ball has been kicked..or fret because we haven’t signed a striker..there’s time..more than most realise obviously.

We’ll be ok.. if people allow them the chance to be.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 93
Bigdog
August 11, 2021, 3:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from marinerjase
Jesus wept…

Some people..

Correct me if I’m wrong but the new owners have never once said they’d have the best budget, or be prepared to splash out over the odds.

There’s no quick fix. As someone said the other day the clubs reputation was in the gutter from previous relationships with other clubs, players and media. The working conditions awful, ground in ruins..list is endless..

It will take time..but improvement , gradual..along the way and signs of progress, on and off pitch are sufficient enough for those level headed supporters.

There’s no need to panic before a ball has been kicked..or fret because we haven’t signed a striker..there’s time..more than most realise obviously.

And those "level-headed" supporters will number 2k or less if we don't get out of this division in the next two or three years. What stood out for me was our "top end of the league budget" in May has been rowed back to a Fentyesque "competitive budget" in August. Even if they were fully fit, going into the season opener with only two 32 year old target men up front is unacceptable as is having Pearson and Waterfall as the only recognised centre half pairing if Longe-King gets injured.

Just praying we get a couple of decent forwards and another centre half in by the end of the window.. Happy with other areas of the squad but completely underwhelmed with the choices we've got at either end of the pitch, and that's where games are won and lost.

I guess I'm way off being a self-appointed level headed fan then..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 93
jamesgtfc
August 11, 2021, 4:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

And those "level-headed" supporters will number 2k or less if we don't get out of this division in the next two or three years. What stood out for me was our "top end of the league budget" in May has been rowed back to a Fentyesque "competitive budget" in August. Even if they were fully fit, going into the season opener with only two 32 year old target men up front is unacceptable as is having Pearson and Waterfall as a the only centre half pairing if Longe-King gets injured.

Just praying we get a couple of decent forwards and another centre half in by the end of the window.. Happy with other areas of the squad but completely underwhelmed with the choices we've got at either end of the pitch, and that's where games are won and lost.

I guess I'm way off being a self-appointed level headed fan then..

If Longe-King got injured for example we've got Waterfall, Pearson and Goundry plus Sears who is comfortable at RB or CB and Crookes.

Yes we are short up front but our empty squad numbers clearly suggest we are looking for one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 93
mariner91
August 11, 2021, 4:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
A centre back pairing of Waterfall and Pearson would be an absolute disaster.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 93
Mendonca1995
August 11, 2021, 4:19pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
What about all the money we have got for pollock grist and dembele (100k for getting promotion) are we not using any of that to sign a striker, this could be the difference between a real promotion push or trying to get at least a playoff place a lot of fans again feel disappointed i am trying to stay calm about the striker situation but time is ticking

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 93
mariner91
August 11, 2021, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

What stood out for me was our "top end of the league budget" in May has been rowed back to a Fentyesque "competitive budget" in August.

In their defence they probably weren’t expecting Chesterfield to splurge £250K and a three year contract on a striker in his mid 20s who’s never played above the NL before. Or that Wrexham would be willing to pay one player £6/7K a week. Plus the fee for the lad from Carlisle won’t have been cheap, God knows what their budget is but it will dwarf even the likes of Fleetwood’s or Luton’s. Plus Stockport aren’t exactly penny pinching.

I imagine that our budget is probably better than it was at any point under Fenty. I would like us to be as competitive as possible and give it a real crack this season with the parachute payments/season tickets/transfer money received helping to boost the budget further. But if Wrexham alone are paying those silly amounts of money, then I’d rather we were more sensible and paid enough for good players (like Fox and McAtee) but not leave us potentially in trouble if it fails.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 93
Grimsbynewhope
August 11, 2021, 4:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1

All well and good. We can see the logic behind it and appreciate it is going to be a mid to long term ambition to turn the "organisation" around but we won't be thinking of that on a Saturday afternoon when we fail to score for the umpteenth time because we did not think it important enough to have a comparable budget for strikers as our main competitors.

In reality, I don't think people will be very patient having waited all these years for change if we don't have one of the very best, if not the best team in our league.

If they have given the manager the budget necessary and he cannot spend it then fair enough, but with 10 days to go before the season starts  I would be more inclined to think his main targets have been missed because we would not pay the fee involved and/or wages.

I am another who has not renewed 2 season tickets because I expected more excitement and intent to get us back into the league pronto.

I would go as far as to say it will be a bloody nightmare if we are not right up there from the off.

Can’t believe the new owners have not sorted all GTFCs problems in the substantial time they’ve been in control. Maybe we should try and get Fenty and the old board back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 4:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase
Jesus wept…

Some people..

Professional football clubs thrive or fail on the pitch. Mid table conference this season will cause a big downturn in season ticket sales for next season, especially given the hype that has been created.

Our squad looks well short in certain areas, Einstein isn’t needed to work that out, but it’s beginning to look like Aldi and Lidl have sold out of strikers and we’re in the queue at Poundland.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 93
BottesfordMariner
August 11, 2021, 4:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Stockwood and Petit are successful businessmen and up to now they have been saying the right things.

But I am slightly disturbed by the fact that they have now said they have spent more already than they expected. hmmmm... seems a bit naive and there are still some gaps in the squad to fill.

And other teams seem to be making more of a splash with signings and we may be left behind. Certainly doesnt appear at first glance to a club going for an immediate return to the FL. And already the excitement of Fenty stepping aside and the dawn of a new era seems to be diminishing before our eyes.

Presumably they have got an unexpected windfall from the sales of Pollock and Grist and and perhaps more if Dembele leaves Peterborough. Enough to invest more in the playing budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 93
lew chaterleys lover
August 11, 2021, 4:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope

Can’t believe the new owners have not sorted all GTFCs problems in the substantial time they’ve been in control. Maybe we should try and get Fenty and the old board back.

Very droll.

It is very important we challenge the new owners right from the very start - the opposite to the Fenty era when he had years of making the same mistakes season after season and still people didn't question it.

All I am saying is that the performances ON the field are what they will be judged by. They must know that, and if they have miscalculated what a competitive budget is for the playing side they have time to correct it.

The social responsibility aspect of owning GTFC is important. Improvements to the stadium are important but none of that will matter if we are not challenging at the top this season.

Success breeds success; they will find it a lot easier to progress with their long term plans if the playing side is successful. Bigger gates, bigger revenues, more sponsorship, merchandise sales etc. I cannot imagine many fans being patient if we fail to trouble the top of the table in non-league.

All our discussions are based on conjecture till we see how the season pans out but we are commenting on the squad so far, and the obvious lack of strikers.

At 5 o'clock on a Saturday we will not be having any threads about the B Corp application, will we?  
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 93
forza ivano
August 11, 2021, 4:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Poojah

I think you may need to call a doctor. Hanson ,for a start, was up there with Macca and will have cost us nearly 300k with all add ons. Have it on good authority we were paying 500 a week of bennetts 4k.green was on near enough 2k p.w. and my guess is that rose and William's wouldve been on similar.i suspect the total cost is actually nearer 600k than the half million
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 93
gtfc_akpa_akpro
August 11, 2021, 4:52pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
“Ey up Andy and Jason, just wanted to let you boys know I’m willing to chuck £500,000 of my own cash for you to buy a couple of new strikers” said none of the whiners on social media.

Go out there, earn your money like Jason and Andrew have and go and splurge it as you wish on the team.

Jesus wept some in this fan base are unbelievable. Never seen a team written off quicker that a Town team before a ball has been kicked.

What happened to bringing to club back to the community and everyone pulling together? When did everyone become an expert on strikers and fortune telling to decide we haven’t already got a decent striker?

I really hope the owners never read this forum because I’d be thinking a lot of people on here are ungrateful fornicators.

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 93
August 11, 2021, 4:55pm
Guest User
This^^
Reply: 28 - 93
Vance Warner
August 11, 2021, 4:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,826
Gold Stars: 105
The best thing the new owners can do is stay off social media and the fishy. I don’t expect us to go up this season not because I don’t have high expectations but because of the state we were in on and off the pitch a few months ago. My biggest fear is that a section of support will become increasingly unpleasant when we’re not at the top of the league. Anyone suggesting we need time will be called a happy clapper, Paul Hurst will be slated for playing anything other than 442 and the fishy will be quiet when we win and packed when we lose. Surely we’ve all seen enough failure now to have a bit of perspective.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 5:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner
The best thing the new owners can do is stay off social media and the fishy. I don’t expect us to go up this season not because I don’t have high expectations but because of the state we were in on and off the pitch a few months ago. My biggest fear is that a section of support will become increasingly unpleasant when we’re not at the top of the league. Anyone suggesting we need time will be called a happy clapper, Paul Hurst will be slated for playing anything other than 442 and the fishy will be quiet when we win and packed when we lose. Surely we’ve all seen enough failure now to have a bit of perspective.

The most important thing for a football club is to be successful, at your level, on the pitch. Don’t for a minute think that Grimsby Town fans are going to be terribly forgiving if we start losing to teams we’ve never played before. I’m not saying that we have a divine right to league football but another extended stay in non league will do for many fans.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 93
fishcake63
August 11, 2021, 5:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Some fans will agree some wont but if we achieve top 7 this season in my opinion that will be success , money that stockport wrexham chezzy notts to name a few throwing about makes it extremly difficult to top league but never impossible, think alot depends on keeping / getting taylor fit he will play a big part in how we want to set up /play, i'm excited about mcatee playing off taylor with sousa & revan bombing down wings , certainly not all doom & gloom
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 5:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from fishcake63
Some fans will agree some wont but if we achieve top 7 this season in my opinion that will be success , money that stockport wrexham chezzy notts to name a few throwing about makes it extremly difficult to top league but never impossible, think alot depends on keeping / getting taylor fit he will play a big part in how we want to set up /play, i'm excited about mcatee playing off taylor with sousa & revan bombing down wings , certainly not all doom & gloom

I’m not concerned about our squad other than in the attacking options. Two strikers that have basically missed pre season and two creative wide players who are invariably injured.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 93
jamesgtfc
August 11, 2021, 6:10pm
Vodka Drinker
I've said it before and I will say it again but teams that go up typically sign very few players. I'm not saying it can't be done with wholesale changes but more often than not, it is with the bulk of the previous seasons squad.

By the time 7 and 9 is filled we will have signed double those teams tipped to be challenging like Wrexham, Stockport, Notts County and Chesterfield.

For me it's about seeing a culture shift, evolving the squad throughout the season and making a lot less additions next summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 93
Rodley Mariner
August 11, 2021, 6:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Some of you deserve to still be stuck with Fenty. How much did they pay to be shot of him and his total contempt for us? Then they've focused on supporter engagement and matchday experience which have been neglected forever and you're whining about long we'll be in the conference before we've even played a competitive match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 93
Northbank Mariner
August 11, 2021, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Some of you deserve to still be stuck with Fenty. How much did they pay to be shot of him and his total contempt for us? Then they've focused on supporter engagement and matchday experience which have been neglected forever and you're whining about long we'll be in the conference before we've even played a competitive match.

That's a 10 from Len... absolutely spot on RM..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 93
HertsGTFC
August 11, 2021, 6:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Another pointless thread …… give em a yard the clubs been in a mess for ages it’s not a quick fix

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 6:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Match day experience starts and ends with results. That’s what sells tickets.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 93
KingstonMariner
August 11, 2021, 6:27pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
For fúck’s sake. The whiners never stop do they. Doesn’t matter what logic and argument is used with them, they’re determined to have this dog in a manger attitude. Complete lack of understanding of the reality of the club’s situation, and how it’s being addressed.

“I want us to sign top striker now, and if I don’t get my way I’m going to skthweam and skthweam and skthweam and sthtamp my feet.”

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 6:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
For fúck’s sake. The whiners never stop do they. Doesn’t matter what logic and argument is used with them, they’re determined to have this dog in a manger attitude. Complete lack of understanding of the reality of the club’s situation, and how it’s being addressed.

“I want us to sign top striker now, and if I don’t get my way I’m going to skthweam and skthweam and skthweam and sthtamp my feet.”

Complete lack of understanding. What patronising crap is that?

Of course we understand the clubs ‘situation’. We’re a rundown football club in the middle of nowhere that has been badly run for a very long time. We have new owners who have got a massive job on their hands. That doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity on the pitch, does it? After all, football clubs thrive when their team wins football matches not because they sell nice beer.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 93
Rodley Mariner
August 11, 2021, 6:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Match day experience starts and ends with results. That’s what sells tickets.

They bought a complete basket case 3 months ago amd we haven't played a competitive game yet. You sound like a spoilt child despite your name.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker

They bought a complete basket case 3 months ago amd we haven't played a competitive game yet. You sound like a spoilt child despite your name.

My comment doesn’t relate to the current owners or any particular club. But if chucking insults around is your thing then so be it!
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 93
KingstonMariner
August 11, 2021, 6:49pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Of course we understand the clubs ‘situation’. We’re a rundown football club in the middle of nowhere that has been badly run for a very long time. We have new owners who have got a massive job on their hands. That doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity on the pitch, does it? After all, football clubs thrive when their team wins football matches not because they sell nice beer.

You’ve just shown that you can’t join the dots. No point in trying to explain to you if you can’t do that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 93
Grantley
August 11, 2021, 6:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Guys it’s obvious the solution is just to spend a lot of money that we don’t actually have and if that fails, just do it again next year. Come on Jason, you knew that as well as spending a couple hundred grand on strikers, you also needed to pay back Fenty a million pounds this season. And if we don’t win the league at the first time of asking, I won’t be attending, meaning you’ve to spend even more of your own money sorting out other people’s mess. Bloody selfish.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker

You’ve just shown that you can’t join the dots. No point in trying to explain to you if you can’t do that.

Ah, the ‘I’m cleverer than you’ riposte.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 93
LondonMariner43
August 11, 2021, 6:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Think I’ll be staying well away from The Fishy this season.

If we make the play offs I will consider that to be a successful season.

If wealthy owners splash the cash for a season or two, get bored and leave, then a club is massively vulnerable to bankruptcy because it’s built up debts and losses beyond its means.  

The new owners have said they plan for losses for a few years but want to build a club that is sustainable for the long term.  As fans I’m sure they will want to get the club back up the leagues but want they want most is for the club to still exist when they no longer want to be owners.

So far Hurst has made some good signings and he has said that he wants to strengthen further.  No doubt he is working had on that and the owners have said they will support him, so why the panic?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 93
headingly_mariner
August 11, 2021, 6:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We haven’t played a game yet!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 93
LondonMariner43
August 11, 2021, 7:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Selling nice food and beer means more money for the club to invest in players.

Better training facilities means better quality training sessions and a better chance of players wanting to be part of the club.

Etc...

Anyone would think the new owners are making changes that have zero value...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 93
Bristol Mariner
August 11, 2021, 7:14pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from marinerjase
Jesus wept…

Some people..

Sensible post. Red flags no idea why, taking a break from this miserable angst driven forum. Ffs Fenty copulated us it will take some time to sort, we were on our knees last season.

See you on the terrace, to those winging illegitimates intercourse off

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 93
HertsGTFC
August 11, 2021, 7:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Can you just not wait to we actually play a competitive game “on the pitch” before you pass judgment?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 93
Maringer
August 11, 2021, 7:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
I wonder how many of the 'All that counts is winning' brigade will be complaining if we're nicking scruffy draws away from home after a dismal performance or grinding out tedious 1-0 victories at BP?

I think attempting to improve the matchday experience with better food, drink and facilities is a good idea because, let's face it, win, lose or draw, what we've all really missed over the past 18 months is actually going to games with friends and family. Better food and better drink certainly makes me enjoy social events. Pissing and moaning about the result in the pub afterwards is also part of the experience, but that will have to wait a bit for me!

Given the mess we saw last season and the dross of a squad we were left with, I think automatic promotion is going to be beyond us but I'm certainly hoping for a decent challenge. We need to try and ensure we finish in the play-offs at the very least.

Teams don't tend to come straight back up after relegation out of the League and for good reason. Let's not get our knickers in a twist if it looks like we're going to be another one of these.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 93
DB
August 11, 2021, 7:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
You buy a rusty old hulk and inspect it. You know it has problems, but you make a budget to restore it to its former glory following an inspection.

You then strip the paint off and find what seemed to be sold rivet heads are in fact rivet heads held in place by the paint and rust! You then have a budget problem.

I suspect that this scenario is what happened to Jason and Andrew. There has been nearly 20 years of little or no investment, just sufficient to keep the club afloat. You are not going to replace that in the 12 weeks they have been in charge.

All the spending Chesterfield, Stockport, Wrexham, etc. have done will not guarantee them promotion as only 1 team will go up automatically. The others will be in play off's and if they are not promoted they will have a different type of guarantee, DEBT.

We need a group of players to play as a team, and with the addition of 2 strikers, proven or up and coming, we shouldn't be far short. Sutton proved what a TEAM can do without going into massive debt with highly proven costly names.

Are we going straight back up? of course we are. Others have done it and so can we.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 93
DB
August 11, 2021, 7:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Couldn't have put it better.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 93
ska face
August 11, 2021, 7:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Already over budget.

Lol its started  

Who’s said “over budget”?

Some basic comprehension will take you a long way in life.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 93
pontoonlew
August 11, 2021, 7:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
I really do beg some people to give the owners time and stop making themselves look like ungrateful mammaries, at least for a couple of years.

I’m all for holding people to account (christ knows I do it to Hurst regularly) but even for our fan base it’s absolutely staggering that the new owners are getting stick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 93
Rodley Mariner
August 11, 2021, 8:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

My comment doesn’t relate to the current owners or any particular club. But if chucking insults around is your thing then so be it!

I'm pretty sure your comments did relate to a specific club otherwise it's all gone a bit abstract 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 93
Mariner93er
August 11, 2021, 8:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
What’s staggering is the fact people are giving the owners stick over something that isn’t their job, signing players. It’s clear hurst has missed out on targets, but none of us know whether that is due to budget constraints or not. And even if it is, that doesn’t necessarily mean we’ve got an uncompetitive budget. If you want to get wound up, surely it would need to be with hurst?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 93
nightrider
August 11, 2021, 8:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I think some are surprised and worried that if we can't be competive now, in this league, how on earth are we ever going to have a chance.
They're all wrong and stupid of course. Me, I couldn't give a toss.....

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 93
denni266
August 11, 2021, 8:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from MuddyWaters

To be honest  this is spot on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 93
Vance Warner
August 11, 2021, 9:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,826
Gold Stars: 105
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The most important thing for a football club is to be successful, at your level, on the pitch. Don’t for a minute think that Grimsby Town fans are going to be terribly forgiving if we start losing to teams we’ve never played before. I’m not saying that we have a divine right to league football but another extended stay in non league will do for many fans.

If it does for some of those who can never find anything positive to say then that might not be a bad thing. A small section of support has never been forgiving even when we were playing brilliant football at Championship level. Those who want to see the negatives will always do so but I’m certainly glad I’m not that type of ‘supporter’.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 93
mariner2000
August 11, 2021, 9:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +166
Gold Stars: 3
Just to point out that Jason didn't say we had spent more on playing budget than we expected just more full stop.

That could be backroom staff, glass barriers, sprinklers training ground improvements and all the other good stuff they've done that's contributed to overall costs,  

They were very clear when the season ended that players still on the books would not constrain us and these figures were known at this time whereas costs for "ïmprovements" and maintenance may not have been clear
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 60 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 10:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I'm pretty sure your comments did relate to a specific club otherwise it's all gone a bit abstract 😂

They didn’t actually. I’m no scientist but I suspect that most fans would be happier with a 1-0 win on a soggy quagmire than a 0-0 on a billiard table pitch having had a nice pint afterwards. It’s got to be about football first and foremost, that’s not to say that the result and the ambience are mutually exclusive.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 93
EvilFish
August 11, 2021, 10:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I'm happy just to be at the match with a few friends, have a nice beer and watch the footy. A win is a bonus, but my entire life doesn't hang on the result of one football match.

Football teams lose matches and (with the exception of a handful of 'elite' clubs) are mostly unsuccessful across their entire histories. Success is fleeting.

So just take it easy, and try to enjoy what is in front of you for a short while. Stop worrying about things that may or may not happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from EvilFish
I'm happy just to be at the match with a few friends, have a nice beer and watch the footy. A win is a bonus, but my entire life doesn't hang on the result of one football match.

Football teams lose matches and (with the exception of a handful of 'elite' clubs) are mostly unsuccessful across their entire histories. Success is fleeting.

So just take it easy, and try to enjoy what is in front of you for a short while. Stop worrying about things that may or may not happen.

You can have your choice, I’ll have mine. Please don’t patronise.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 93
EvilFish
August 11, 2021, 11:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Well stop bealing on about it then. Jesus Christ.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 93
pen penfras
August 13, 2021, 7:15am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -129
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Selling nice food and beer means more money for the club to invest in players.

It almost certainly doesn't. The reason that the club ended up with what was there before was because they have never made money by doing it themselves. Unless they're franchising out the stands to other companies (which they may be), then it is very likely to make the club less money.

That doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do. Having decent food at a match is a part of the experience for many people and will improve their day out. But all of these improvements come at a cost, and that money has to come from somewhere.

With a new executive and other new positions in the club, a new barrier, sprinkler system, training facilities and whatever other work has been paid for, it looks like around £500k extra cost this year plus the loans getting repaid. And that's not even scratching the surface of what needs doing.

It's incredibly difficult to fund all of the infrastructure work and have a competitive playing budget without a sugar daddy or some form of council/government money on the stadium. We don't have that and need to accept that 4k fans does not fund a championship or even league 1 level club long term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 93
Davec
August 13, 2021, 7:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from pen penfras

It almost certainly doesn't. The reason that the club ended up with what was there before was because they have never made money by doing it themselves. Unless they're franchising out the stands to other companies (which they may be), then it is very likely to make the club less money.

That doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do. Having decent food at a match is a part of the experience for many people and will improve their day out. But all of these improvements come at a cost, and that money has to come from somewhere.

With a new executive and other new positions in the club, a new barrier, sprinkler system, training facilities and whatever other work has been paid for, it looks like around £500k extra cost this year plus the loans getting repaid. And that's not even scratching the surface of what needs doing.

It's incredibly difficult to fund all of the infrastructure work and have a competitive playing budget without a sugar daddy or some form of council/government money on the stadium. We don't have that and need to accept that 4k fans does not fund a championship or even league 1 level club long term.

"And that's not even scratching the surface of what needs doing"

So you've finally admitted the person you always bend over backwards to support John Fenty let the club slip so far behind the modern times?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 93
pen penfras
August 13, 2021, 7:32am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Davec

"And that's not even scratching the surface of what needs doing"

So you've finally admitted the person you always bend over backwards to support John Fenty let the club slip so far behind the modern times?

When have I ever stated that the ground doesn't need work? I've always said that we don't have enough supporters to fund a decrepit old stadium and compete at the level that the fans expect. Fenty went for the option of spending as much on the playing budget as possible and doing a minor amount on infrastructure. Looks like we're now going to see what happens when a lot is spent on non playing costs and the club is run sustainably, because that's what the new guys are saying. My guess is that the moaners will soon be back to moaning, but have a nice burger and unobstructed view of the pitch whilst they moan. Unless we get lucky this season, which it will be with our defence and strikers at the moment, then I can see another tough time financially for the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 93
Bignic69
August 13, 2021, 7:47am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from pen penfras

When have I ever stated that the ground doesn't need work? I've always said that we don't have enough supporters to fund a decrepit old stadium and compete at the level that the fans expect. Fenty went for the option of spending as much on the playing budget as possible and doing a minor amount on infrastructure. Looks like we're now going to see what happens when a lot is spent on non playing costs and the club is run sustainably, because that's what the new guys are saying. My guess is that the moaners will soon be back to moaning, but have a nice burger and unobstructed view of the pitch whilst they moan. Unless we get lucky this season, which it will be with our defence and strikers at the moment, then I can see another tough time financially for the club.

Rubbish, he penny pinched on all fronts

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 93
pen penfras
August 13, 2021, 8:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Bignic69

Rubbish, he penny pinched on all fronts

Call it what you like, we hardly ever made a profit and the vast majority of our expenditure was on the playing budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 93
mariner91
August 13, 2021, 8:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Call it what you like, we hardly ever made a profit and the vast majority of our expenditure was on the playing budget.

And the huge amount of debt drummed up on a pipe dream stadium that Fenty didn't have the business capability to deliver? And the huge amounts paying off poor personnel decisions? £200,000 would get you two very good players in L2 but unfortunately for the last five seasons or so that money has been going in to John's pocket each season. That "debt" wasn't created by speculating on the playing front but on Fenty being shite at running the club. Imagine if your mate actually cared about the club and had a modicum of self-awareness. Instead of it going to his pocket, the money 1878 had to pay him could have sorted out virtually all of the infrastructure problems AND given the playing budget a real boost to try and get out of the NL again. Still, it's not like it's John's fault that we're down here again is it? Nothing is ever his fault.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 93
Bignic69
August 13, 2021, 8:10am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from pen penfras

The playing budget is the vast majority of expenditure for almost all clubs, doesn't mean to say JF spent as much as possible on it.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 93
Northbank Mariner
August 13, 2021, 8:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from pen penfras

So why the f@ck have we ended up in non league twice?... absolute boll@x....every manager under his tenure said the budget was cr@p....the club was on its ar£e because of him that shall not be named... constantly going backwards to the point we are now back in the cesspit of football...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 93
aldi_01
August 13, 2021, 8:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Fenty was shite, impossible to argue otherwise and the moment he started engaging with May, any damage he’d done but manage to hide with bullshit came to the top.

Had that deal with May been pushed through I’ve no doubt we’d have ended up in a Mac/Chester/Bury situation, some might argue there’s no proof but the club was heading backwards faster than the speed of sound, Holloway was a flipping straw chewing idiot and Fenty clearly wasn’t arsed about the club in any way shape or form.

He’s gone now thankfully, PP and the few remaining folk who claim not to support Fenty yet provide a rhetoric they suggests otherwise will continue to do so, there’s a pocket of fans at the minute that are losing sleep Becauee we don’t have what everyone in football wants, a great front man and the rest are just happy the parasite has gone. He’s copulated off, stolen £200k in the process and disappeared. We’ve been owners with an plan and a vision. They’re trying to build an infrastructure meaning the club is a good place to work which ultimately leads to success.

The conference is shite, we all know that but we deserve to be here…again. This time, if we get our excrement together, even if it takes a couple of years, once we do eventually go up I’ve no doubt we’ll be much more progressive and sustain our position and possibly push on. It’s a marathon not a sprint as they say…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 93
Zmariner
August 13, 2021, 9:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Maringer
I wonder how many of the 'All that counts is winning' brigade will be complaining if we're nicking scruffy draws away from home after a dismal performance or grinding out tedious 1-0 victories at BP?

I think attempting to improve the matchday experience with better food, drink and facilities is a good idea because, let's face it, win, lose or draw, what we've all really missed over the past 18 months is actually going to games with friends and family. Better food and better drink certainly makes me enjoy social events. Pissing and moaning about the result in the pub afterwards is also part of the experience, but that will have to wait a bit for me!

Given the mess we saw last season and the dross of a squad we were left with, I think automatic promotion is going to be beyond us but I'm certainly hoping for a decent challenge. We need to try and ensure we finish in the play-offs at the very least.

Teams don't tend to come straight back up after relegation out of the League and for good reason. Let's not get our knickers in a twist if it looks like we're going to be another one of these.

Harsh but no match day experience will make me watch a mid table national league team. The play offs will be fine. Looking at our squad there is no way I expect us to mount a title challenge but we should have enough for the playoffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 93
GtfcGarner
August 13, 2021, 10:23am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,793
Gold Stars: 26
Whilst I'd also love a striker, there aren't many 20-goal a season men that stick around for long in this division. I've watched enough of Hurst to know that he can spot a player from a mile off that is a hidden gem, he has signed some duffers but then again so has Sir Alex Ferguson.

In regards to the owners, I'd rather be in it for the long term and building a future. I wouldn't want us spending out of our means like the trio of Chesterfield, Wrexham and Stockport as atleast one of them if not all of them will not go up and I think some of them have tried to go sh»t or bust. I think that aslong as we have a solid foundation with a strong season I'd be more than happy (Play offs). Biggest budgets don't always guarantee success just look how much Salford spent again last year without success.. Multiple players on 5k a week couldn't even get into the playoffs. Lets get behind the team and support them and let them know we are behind them 100%. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 93
August 13, 2021, 10:32am
Guest User
Quoted from pen penfras

I believe I read somewhere that the playing budget would not be affected by any other expenditure at all.

Reply: 76 - 93
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 13, 2021, 10:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,909
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from pen penfras

I thought that this was quite possibly the best post that i have read of yours. Right up until that final paragraph.

Just because the club have (approx) 4000 fans at the moment, it doesn’t mean that should we hopefully push upwards into league 1 that the ‘home crowd’ should stay at this level. Success will bring in others and as well as that, I’d think more away support too. All you have to look at is Brighton, Wycombe and dare I say it Lincoln, to see that success will always get a few extra bums on seats

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 93
LondonMariner43
August 13, 2021, 10:49am
Champagne Drinker
This site seems obsessed with signing a striker who will score a large proportion of our goals.  Plenty of Town teams have been successful in the past without having this single godlike figure that scores all the goals, particularly under Buckley when I remember Kevin Donovan being top score one season with about 9 goals from the wing.  

A team that plays dynamic fluid football should score goals from wide positions and midfield not just from the no9.  Also, if a team gets into a way of playing that is dependent on one person to score, then firstly the opposition will do their best to mark them out of the game and secondly when they get injured there are problems.

We already have two very experienced forwards in Taylor and LJL and a lot of exciting and pacey players who can play in forward positions to create and score goals - Bapaga, Fox, Hunt, Sousa, Grant, Wright, McAtee.  

If we sign this so-called proven striker, then great but I think we have enough in the squad already and I am sure Hurst will only sign another forward player if they are really going to add to what he has already.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 93
jamesgtfc
August 13, 2021, 10:54am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Whilst I'd also love a striker, there aren't many 20-goal a season men that stick around for long in this division. I've watched enough of Hurst to know that he can spot a player from a mile off that is a hidden gem, he has signed some duffers but then again so has Sir Alex Ferguson.

In regards to the owners, I'd rather be in it for the long term and building a future. I wouldn't want us spending out of our means like the trio of Chesterfield, Wrexham and Stockport as atleast one of them if not all of them will not go up and I think some of them have tried to go sh»t or bust. I think that aslong as we have a solid foundation with a strong season I'd be more than happy (Play offs). Biggest budgets don't always guarantee success just look how much Salford spent again last year without success.. Multiple players on 5k a week couldn't even get into the playoffs. Lets get behind the team and support them and let them know we are behind them 100%. UTM.

I want us out of this cesspit as much as anyone else but we've now signed 14 players. I'm not sure if either of the 2 yesterday take the number 7 or 9 but it's quite clear, there will be at least another 1 player through the door yet.

There are exceptions to every rule but how many teams have a great season after replacing most of their squad?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 93
mimma
August 13, 2021, 11:06am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Lampard was a leading goalscorer from midfield. Could McAtee be the same for us?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 93
Poojah
August 13, 2021, 11:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Just a point on Wrexham; I imagine what they’re doing is entirely sustainable, in the short-term at least. Paying a player five or six grand a week in the fifth tier sounds mental, but it’s very different to what the likes of Crawly, Fleetwood and Forest Green have done.

By virtue of who their owners are, and the TV deal they have done, they have created massive revenue streams outside of what you might consider to be normal football operations. There is a knock-on effect on the football side of the business too - they’ve had to put a cap on season ticket sales (at around 6,000), given the local interest their new found global fame has whipped up.

I maintain that I wouldn’t want what’s going on at Wrexham at Town, but you can’t deny that it’s a clever model which effectively pays for itself.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 93
The Yard Dog
August 13, 2021, 11:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I want us out of this cesspit as much as anyone else but we've now signed 14 players. I'm not sure if either of the 2 yesterday take the number 7 or 9 but it's quite clear, there will be at least another 1 player through the door yet.

There are exceptions to every rule but how many teams have a great season after replacing most of their squad?

Bolton at the beginning of the last season, in the drop zone, still got promoted, after a excrement start.

The likes of Accringon, Wycombe, Morecambe  & Sutton are were they are now, not by having the biggest budgets or players on massive salaries, of strikers scoring for fun, but on a solid core of players with the right team spirit.

You could a team of 11 Messi's, not going to get you promoted, maybe enough tears to put out the Greek fires.

Fenty's foundations were made of sand, were as the current owners are laying the foundation with bricks.

Let's see how things go.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 93
Posh Harry
August 13, 2021, 11:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,370
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from pen penfras

Thanks for cheering me up, claiming that Fenty spent as much on the playing budget as possible made me laugh out loud. Brilliant stuff
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 93
DB
August 13, 2021, 11:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Just a point on Wrexham; I imagine what they’re doing is entirely sustainable, in the short-term at least. Paying a player five or six grand a week in the fifth tier sounds mental, but it’s very different to what the likes of Crawly, Fleetwood and Forest Green have done.

By virtue of who their owners are, and the TV deal they have done, they have created massive revenue streams outside of what you might consider to be normal football operations. There is a knock-on effect on the football side of the business too - they’ve had to put a cap on season ticket sales (at around 6,000), given the local interest their new found global fame has whipped up.

I maintain that I wouldn’t want what’s going on at Wrexham at Town, but you can’t deny that it’s a clever model which effectively pays for itself.

You make a very point, but there is one thing that it relies heavily upon. That is they need promotion and if that doesn't happen the whole thing could go 'belly up'.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 93
HertsGTFC
August 13, 2021, 11:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Complete pony !!!!

It’s a shame we didn’t invest in managers Bignot, Slade and Jolley where all bargain basement appointments.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 93
Ipswin
August 13, 2021, 12:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Complete pony !!!!

It’s a shame we didn’t invest in managers Bignot, Slade and Jolley where all bargain basement appointments.

Still no change there then

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 93
GollyGTFC
August 13, 2021, 12:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I don't think they will be earning as much as you think from Netflix etc... Paul Mullin is apparently on £9,000 a week over 3 years- that's about £1.4m in wages to one striker who is in reality a one season wonder who has to back it up this season.

We know that promotion to L2 is worth £1m a season in TV money increases, but £1.4m is a hell of a lot to gamble on one single player.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 87 - 93
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 13, 2021, 12:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I just hope that Sunday mornings are not going to be filled with reports of Town having 70% possession and losing by the odd goal.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 93
toontown
August 13, 2021, 1:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I don't think they will be earning as much as you think from Netflix etc... Paul Mullin is apparently on £9,000 a week over 3 years- that's about £1.4m in wages to one striker who is in reality a one season wonder who has to back it up this season.

We know that promotion to L2 is worth £1m a season in TV money increases, but £1.4m is a hell of a lot to gamble on one single player.

Is it a full million? Is that half a mill solidarity payments from prem and half a mill TV money? We lose tye solidarity payments but keep our TV payments for this year and get half TV payments next year, is that right?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 93
KingstonMariner
August 13, 2021, 1:30pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Ah, the ‘I’m cleverer than you’ riposte.

What am I supposed to say. “Oh you’re so clever, that despite you knowing the club was on its uppers and loads needed to be spent on infrastructure, you didn’t draw the conclusion that there might not be enough money to spend on players like some clubs are doing.”

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 93
Mayaman
August 13, 2021, 1:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Vance Warner

Some Town fans are as bad as Barca's who wanted Bobby Robson out after winning the treble, because the team didn't "play football".  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 93
KingstonMariner
August 13, 2021, 1:55pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

4 of the last 5 years we made a profit. Average profit was £1/3m. The loss was about £36k in 2018.

The majority of the profit went to pay your mate off for losses sustained under his failed tenure. £694k of directors loans repaid.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 93
GollyGTFC
August 13, 2021, 2:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from toontown

Is it a full million? Is that half a mill solidarity payments from prem and half a mill TV money? We lose tye solidarity payments but keep our TV payments for this year and get half TV payments next year, is that right?

Yes.

The EFL TV deal & solidarity payments for L2 are roughly £1m a season.

The parachute payment is roughly £500,000 the first season & then £250,000 the second season.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 93 - 93
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In today’s Grimsby Telegraph

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.