10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 11, 2021, 7:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
I wonder how many of the 'All that counts is winning' brigade will be complaining if we're nicking scruffy draws away from home after a dismal performance or grinding out tedious 1-0 victories at BP?

I think attempting to improve the matchday experience with better food, drink and facilities is a good idea because, let's face it, win, lose or draw, what we've all really missed over the past 18 months is actually going to games with friends and family. Better food and better drink certainly makes me enjoy social events. Pissing and moaning about the result in the pub afterwards is also part of the experience, but that will have to wait a bit for me!

Given the mess we saw last season and the dross of a squad we were left with, I think automatic promotion is going to be beyond us but I'm certainly hoping for a decent challenge. We need to try and ensure we finish in the play-offs at the very least.

Teams don't tend to come straight back up after relegation out of the League and for good reason. Let's not get our knickers in a twist if it looks like we're going to be another one of these.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 93
DB
August 11, 2021, 7:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
You buy a rusty old hulk and inspect it. You know it has problems, but you make a budget to restore it to its former glory following an inspection.

You then strip the paint off and find what seemed to be sold rivet heads are in fact rivet heads held in place by the paint and rust! You then have a budget problem.

I suspect that this scenario is what happened to Jason and Andrew. There has been nearly 20 years of little or no investment, just sufficient to keep the club afloat. You are not going to replace that in the 12 weeks they have been in charge.

All the spending Chesterfield, Stockport, Wrexham, etc. have done will not guarantee them promotion as only 1 team will go up automatically. The others will be in play off's and if they are not promoted they will have a different type of guarantee, DEBT.

We need a group of players to play as a team, and with the addition of 2 strikers, proven or up and coming, we shouldn't be far short. Sutton proved what a TEAM can do without going into massive debt with highly proven costly names.

Are we going straight back up? of course we are. Others have done it and so can we.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 93
DB
August 11, 2021, 7:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from KingstonMariner
For fúck’s sake. The whiners never stop do they. Doesn’t matter what logic and argument is used with them, they’re determined to have this dog in a manger attitude. Complete lack of understanding of the reality of the club’s situation, and how it’s being addressed.

“I want us to sign top striker now, and if I don’t get my way I’m going to skthweam and skthweam and skthweam and sthtamp my feet.”

Couldn't have put it better.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 93
ska face
August 11, 2021, 7:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Already over budget.

Lol its started  

Who’s said “over budget”?

Some basic comprehension will take you a long way in life.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 93
pontoonlew
August 11, 2021, 7:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I really do beg some people to give the owners time and stop making themselves look like ungrateful mammaries, at least for a couple of years.

I’m all for holding people to account (christ knows I do it to Hurst regularly) but even for our fan base it’s absolutely staggering that the new owners are getting stick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 93
Rodley Mariner
August 11, 2021, 8:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from MuddyWaters

My comment doesn’t relate to the current owners or any particular club. But if chucking insults around is your thing then so be it!

I'm pretty sure your comments did relate to a specific club otherwise it's all gone a bit abstract 😂
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 93
Mariner93er
August 11, 2021, 8:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
What’s staggering is the fact people are giving the owners stick over something that isn’t their job, signing players. It’s clear hurst has missed out on targets, but none of us know whether that is due to budget constraints or not. And even if it is, that doesn’t necessarily mean we’ve got an uncompetitive budget. If you want to get wound up, surely it would need to be with hurst?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 93
nightrider
August 11, 2021, 8:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I think some are surprised and worried that if we can't be competive now, in this league, how on earth are we ever going to have a chance.
They're all wrong and stupid of course. Me, I couldn't give a toss.....

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 93
denni266
August 11, 2021, 8:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Complete lack of understanding. What patronising crap is that?

Of course we understand the clubs ‘situation’. We’re a rundown football club in the middle of nowhere that has been badly run for a very long time. We have new owners who have got a massive job on their hands. That doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity on the pitch, does it? After all, football clubs thrive when their team wins football matches not because they sell nice beer.

To be honest  this is spot on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 93
Vance Warner
August 11, 2021, 9:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,827
Gold Stars: 105
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The most important thing for a football club is to be successful, at your level, on the pitch. Don’t for a minute think that Grimsby Town fans are going to be terribly forgiving if we start losing to teams we’ve never played before. I’m not saying that we have a divine right to league football but another extended stay in non league will do for many fans.

If it does for some of those who can never find anything positive to say then that might not be a bad thing. A small section of support has never been forgiving even when we were playing brilliant football at Championship level. Those who want to see the negatives will always do so but I’m certainly glad I’m not that type of ‘supporter’.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In today’s Grimsby Telegraph

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.