Rick12
June 4, 2021, 6:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Town Monkey

As a centre half to lead us back to the league I’ll reserve judgment. He’s whole hearted but limited on the ball..
Yes spot on. I 'll add to that though he is tall with a decent header on him. These qualities make up for the limited technical abilities he has on the ground more so in the conference.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 141
Mikey_345
June 4, 2021, 7:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 115
For me, this would be an excellent signing.

What are we getting with Shaun? Well a player who has consistently performed in some of the top teams in the NL for 10 years. Absolute commitment to the cause and a leader on and off the pitch.

It’s a no brained for me.

People who say we need better, define better? He is a very very solid centre half at this level and knows the club inside out and what it means to the fans. These “proven quality” players some talk of aren’t ten a penny at our level, but Shaun has consistently performed at this level....

Bogle, Amond, Arnold, Nolan, Toto all relatively “unproven” before that season.

Also, let’s not forget we’ve just recently had 2 players have a fight on the pitch - I’d argue someone like Shaun is essential for a teams mentality for the upcoming challenge.

We arguably need 3 new centre halves this year and PH will want to build a squad of players who buy into what he’s saying, buy in to the club, and give everything. Shaun Pearson, captain and integral part of one of the best defences last season is a great start. Before you even consider his history here.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 141
Poojah
June 4, 2021, 7:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,065
Gold Stars: 1,543
Quoted from Heisenberg

Four divisions. FOUR. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Between the Premier League and the National League I can think of The Championship, League One and League Two. What’s the other one?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 141
June 4, 2021, 7:39am
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah
In the time since it appears he’s been a solid centre half and leader for one of the better (if not best) sides in the National League, and remains commended by his club’s fans for his good character.

If they are the best side in the NL, then why are they still in it?  Personally I think there is far too much sentimentality in this thread instead of looking at this 'alleged' signing.  If it was a 32 year old centre half that had never played for us, and only played 15 games last season, plus wasn't even named in the squad for the better part of the first half of the season, would we all be wetting our pants at this rumoured signing, nope, I don't think so.  Also, good character doesn't win football matches.

Reply: 93 - 141
Mikey_345
June 4, 2021, 7:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from 123614

If they are the best side in the NL, then why are they still in it?  Personally I think there is far too much sentimentality in this thread instead of looking at this 'alleged' signing.  If it was a 32 year old centre half that had never played for us, and only played 15 games last season, plus wasn't even named in the squad for the better part of the first half of the season, would we all be wetting our pants at this rumoured signing, nope, I don't think so.  Also, good character doesn't win football matches.

But it’s not though is it, because we know what we are getting, which we don’t with other players. You can just compare against a random 32 year old player.

We know we are going to have a leader who can contribute to the ethic and togetherness off the field and the resilience and defensive solidity on it.

He’s performed for 10 years at this level consistently, 6 of which were with us, you can’t just brush that aside, it isn’t sentiment ....

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 141
aldi_01
June 4, 2021, 7:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from 123614

Whilst I get your point and as plenty have pointed out, is he coming to even be first choice? Is he coming for other reasons perhaps? Coaching? Elder statesmen that knows what the boss wants? Who knows?

I agree in principle that good character doesn’t win football matches but it certainly helps to have those types rather than some of the flipping wage stealing illegitimates we’ve had the past few seasons...

If we lose a game we still know players like Pearson will have bust a gut, it doesn’t change the result but it still helps a tad as a fan rather than seeing folk like Payne who aren’t arsed either way...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 141
Poojah
June 4, 2021, 7:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,065
Gold Stars: 1,543
Quoted from 123614

Let me clarify, that probably should have read “if not necessarily the best”. I meant that they were one of the better sides, but haven’t really flirted with promotion all that much.

By and large, I don’t think people are wetting their pants. I think most people are pleased on the basis that we know what we are getting in terms of the man - something which we badly lacked last season. As for what we get in terms of the player, I don’t see anyone getting carried away.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 141
June 4, 2021, 7:54am
Guest User
Quoted from Mikey_345

But it’s not though is it, because we know what we are getting, which we don’t with other players. You can just compare against a random 32 year old player.

We know we are going to have a leader who can contribute to the ethic and togetherness off the field and the resilience and defensive solidity on it.

He’s performed for 10 years at this level consistently, 6 of which were with us, you can’t just brush that aside, it isn’t sentiment ....

I wouldn't say that playing only 15 matches was showing a lot of consistency,  plus he was not even in the squad for 26 games at the beginning of the season.

Reply: 97 - 141
Mikey_345
June 4, 2021, 7:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from 123614

I wouldn't say that playing only 15 matches was showing a lot of consistency,  plus he was not even in the squad for 26 games at the beginning of the season.

Even a brief glance at his record this season shows you he’s suffered with injury.....

Since returning he’s played consistently for 90 minutes during a good run for Wrexham. 10 games, 1 defeat, 5 clean sheets.

He’s no Maldini, don’t get me wrong. But he’s a solid dependable CB who brings more to the leadership of the team aswell.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 141
Rick12
June 4, 2021, 8:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from 123614

Also, good character doesn't win football matches.

In a roundabout way it helps though. Think of players with good mindsets and how that helps them be more professional eg train better + less likely to go on the beer and drink to much. I also feel there more likely to be more consistent throughout the course of the season.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 141
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shaun pearson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.