ginnywings
March 6, 2021, 10:54am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Humbercod

A bit disrespectful there Ginny! The electorate doesn’t have much choice these day’s granted, and if anything the polls are showing how poor the so called opposition party’s are.

It's not disrespectful at all. The amount of sh1te I've heard first hand about Jeremy Corbyn tells me how easily people are hoodwinked by the media.

You are one of the posters who defend the Tories by telling us what a disaster Corbyn is, as if that is relevant in any way.

You and others don't tell us how successful the Tories are, rather how unsuccessful the opposition is and would have been. The above post of yours being yet another example.

It could be worse seems to be the Tory mantra. What a pathetic state of affairs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 6, 2021, 1:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I will take any money on offer but not with strings attached. Nationally there needs to be a lot of new thinking about city centres and high streets because that is the key to regeneration. This is why kids should study history and look at how and why towns developed on a time thread. Grimsby grew round the docks, houses were built round the docks, shops were built round the houses in a supply and demand cycle.

If the Freeport does work then there could be a population with money to spend which would help the High Streets. But we will not see the return of the John Lewis and Debenhams in their last incarnation. Money needs to be invested directly in town centres not on vanity projects like leaning lampposts but on housing. We need to encourage towns and cities to shrink geographically, build attractive properties for all incomes and ages leaving primary employment on the fringes of towns. Instead of concreting green farmland, bring the suburbs into town. Make it a nice place to live not one to be digging escape tunnels from.

On a new supply and demand cycle we would see high streets develop small shops fulfilling niche needs and instant access to goods that the internet cannot deliver. This is your secondary source of employment. So turn the towns @rse over elbow instead of being like the little boy with a finger in the dyke and crying our eyes out that the other party didn’t pay enough to get an adult with a big enough finger or something else to stick in the hole.

I doubt that any current local or national politician has the wit or foresight to see the bleedin’ obvious being far too interested in bragging who appears to throw the most money away on antiquated economic models. It is way outside of my time but there are opportunities here if people stop playing political games and recriminations and consider the sort of future they want for their grandchildren and beyond.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
moosey_club
March 6, 2021, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,250
Gold Stars: 226
I will take any money on offer but not with strings attached. Nationally there needs to be a lot of new thinking about city centres and high streets because that is the key to regeneration. This is why kids should study history and look at how and why towns developed on a time thread. Grimsby grew round the docks, houses were built round the docks, shops were built round the houses in a supply and demand cycle.

If the Freeport does work then there could be a population with money to spend which would help the High Streets. But we will not see the return of the John Lewis and Debenhams in their last incarnation. Money needs to be invested directly in town centres not on vanity projects like leaning lampposts but on housing. We need to encourage towns and cities to shrink geographically, build attractive properties for all incomes and ages leaving primary employment on the fringes of towns. Instead of concreting green farmland, bring the suburbs into town. Make it a nice place to live not one to be digging escape tunnels from.

On a new supply and demand cycle we would see high streets develop small shops fulfilling niche needs and instant access to goods that the internet cannot deliver. This is your secondary source of employment. So turn the towns @rse over elbow instead of being like the little boy with a finger in the dyke and crying our eyes out that the other party didn’t pay enough to get an adult with a big enough finger or something else to stick in the hole.

I doubt that any current local or national politician has the wit or foresight to see the bleedin’ obvious being far too interested in bragging who appears to throw the most money away on antiquated economic models. It is way outside of my time but there are opportunities here if people stop playing political games and recriminations and consider the sort of future they want for their grandchildren and beyond.

This local council has a history of being way behind any curves when it comes to town centre and recreational/ retail developments.
The latest plan regards "a cinema" for Grimsby , i have lost count of the different potential sites that a cinema was supposed to be going on down the years.
Birchin Way, Macauley Tip & Riverhead off the top of my head , now its earmarked for part of the old BHS building. Swimming pools too small, ice rinks too small.
While its ok having the cash you have to have minds in place to invest it wisely.  Never seems to be the case.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
Humbercod
March 6, 2021, 2:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,491
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from ginnywings

It's not disrespectful at all. The amount of sh1te I've heard first hand about Jeremy Corbyn tells me how easily people are hoodwinked by the media.

You are one of the posters who defend the Tories by telling us what a disaster Corbyn is, as if that is relevant in any way.

You and others don't tell us how successful the Tories are, rather how unsuccessful the opposition is and would have been. The above post of yours being yet another example.

It could be worse seems to be the Tory mantra. What a pathetic state of affairs.

Sorry you can’t call a large proportion of society ‘idiots’ just because they didn’t vote for the party you wanted, just looks bitter pal.
I’m working class always will be but like most people aspire to and achieved middle class and would like to maintain that. I’m no Tory but at present the conservative’s offer me and my family  a better chance. I trust them in power more then captain hindsight’s mob every single day of the week. So I don’t need anyone especially Corbynista’s telling me that I’ve been hoodwinked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
LH
March 6, 2021, 7:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,519
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from Humbercod

Sorry you can’t call a large proportion of society ‘idiots’ just because they didn’t vote for the party you wanted, just looks bitter pal.
I’m working class always will be but like most people aspire to and achieved middle class and would like to maintain that. I’m no Tory but at present the conservative’s offer me and my family  a better chance. I trust them in power more then captain hindsight’s mob every single day of the week. So I don’t need anyone especially Corbynista’s telling me that I’ve been hoodwinked.

You do know to conservate something means to keep it the same as it is don’t you?
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 6, 2021, 8:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from LH

You do know to conservate something means to keep it the same as it is don’t you?

You do know Labour means to actually work don’t you?   

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
ginnywings
March 6, 2021, 11:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Humbercod

1) I didn't call anyone an idiot.

2) Not everyone aspires to be middle class.

3) You are not middle class.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
aldi_01
March 7, 2021, 11:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
In truth, unless you’re extremely wealthy; have cash in various overseas accounts, have mates within government then the tories offer nothing to anyone.

People can form their own views but whatever anyone’s view of Corbyn for instance, the rhetoric used in the media, across social media and by ill informed folk down the local etc. Was always anti Corbyn, yet had they bothered to actually listen and read what he said they’d realise it offered much more to them, especially the folk in towns like Grimsby, Scunthorpe and so forth.

Sadly, they chose not to, instead falling for the pseudo patriotism offered by self obsessed narcissistic tories who actually care little for their own party either, more for themselves than anything or anyone else.

The rejuvenation cash has been divided up disproportionately but that’s as expected. However, rejuvenation can’t just be about building a cinema or shops, it has to be about much more. Develop industry, entice industry to the area, housing developments which are affordable yet enticing to first time buyers, regarding of the area and so on. Ron covered it but it’s important to look beyond a shop or cinema for example. Bringing those things to Grimsby is pointless of the folk don’t have the cash or lifestyle to frequent them...

Through lockdown we’ve see a burst of new, local businesses in various areas offering various things, these require investment and incentive to continue, to promote the area and local folk. Build a sense of community again (impossible in truth given people seem only concerned about themselves, as highlighted by many who voted for a party because ‘it was better for me’) and invest in the people.

We’ve seen in the last year the contempt for the general public, the sheer arrogance of wasting billions upon billions, lining the pockets of friends and acquaintances of politicians whilst folk work their fingers to the bone, for what? A clap? Some cheap comments, the odd award here and there. Those folk did it because they care, because being kind and helping folk is actually a worthwhile and proud thing to do. Invest in those people, in their businesses, they’re the ones who’ve kept it all ticking over nicely...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 7, 2021, 4:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
A good part of this problem is that it is plain wrong to dictate the plan and style of a town whether Tory or Labour. It will be wrong. Some places get assimilated like Saltaire and Bournville but most attempts at super planning fail. Some people may like living in Milton Keynes but it would drive me crackers.

You have to let the place breathe and grow organically, you support the industries that will work not the ones from a political game. I know it seems unlikely now but the new ground for Town could be a great starter for growth. There are docks that just lay derelict. Look at Fleetwood, using the maritime skill base they had to transform, look at Bridlington even. We have had more than enough cash to do something but what has been done? A windswept open space for “events”, a new St James Square for night time revels.

As I said earlier a lot of the answer lies in repopulating much more of the town centre with a good mix of housing. I was hopeful Corporation Road would have been the first step years ago but it just stopped dead. Now we are fartarsing  about with repurposing falling down buildings into yoof development hubs. There are huge development opportunities all over the top town to Riby Square, Freemo and beyond.

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
Humbercod
March 7, 2021, 5:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,491
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from aldi_01
In truth, unless you’re extremely wealthy; have cash in various overseas accounts, have mates within government then the tories offer nothing to anyone.

People can form their own views but whatever anyone’s view of Corbyn for instance, the rhetoric used in the media, across social media and by ill informed folk down the local etc. Was always anti Corbyn, yet had they bothered to actually listen and read what he said they’d realise it offered much more to them, especially the folk in towns like Grimsby, Scunthorpe and so forth.

Sadly, they chose not to, instead falling for the pseudo patriotism offered by self obsessed narcissistic tories who actually care little for their own party either, more for themselves than anything or anyone else.

It’s this kind of arrogance and self righteousness that typifies today’s Labour supporter, just one of the reason people are now distancing themselves from the party as support dwindles.

Yet again I’m having to defend myself for voting conservative because YOU decide the conservative voters got it wrong and they are stupid (more or less what you are saying) right!
It’s quite nasty stuff always from the ardent even extreme Labour losers on here and it’s almost verging on bullying it’s the Labour way I suppose.

Look there’s a passionate bunch on here from all sides of the political spectrum and we do get entrenched in our political
Views at times and that’s no problem, taking the urine out the party’s is fair game especially the leaders with the likes of Boris, Corbo and ...(whoever Lib Dem leader is) is great ammunition for the banter at times, but it’s the constant personal attacks the sneering that will bring down any kind of healthy debate.

I think there are some decent people on here but politics can have a crazy effect on people which is why the wife and I never discuss it😀
Take politics out the equation and I think most people would actually get on.

Apart from that Aldi I thought you made some good points in the rest of your post.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Budget:  £1 Billion for 45 towns

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.