7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Humbercod
March 3, 2021, 3:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,488
Gold Stars: 82
Going to do a week bike packing in Scotland this summer try out this wild camping lark, no idea what tent or anything I need yet but got the bike and the travel bags, so any pointers on kit would be appreciated, want to go as light as possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 3, 2021, 3:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Is it just you camping If so what’s your budget ? I know decent 1/2 man tents ranging from £80.00 to £900.00 also have you any camping equipment (Sleeping bag/Stove/lantern etc) I’ll help you mate as camping is my main hobby, i have some excellent equipment and lots of experience at wild camping.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
ginnywings
March 4, 2021, 12:29am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Humbercod
Going to do a week bike packing in Scotland this summer try out this wild camping lark, no idea what tent or anything I need yet but got the bike and the travel bags, so any pointers on kit would be appreciated, want to go as light as possible.

That's something I did a lot of in my youth. Still have the bike and pannier bags but they haven't seen the light of day for many a moon. I had a Trangia for cooking and make sure you have at least 2 water bottles, as you never know when you can get fresh water, especially if you are going somewhere remote. Carry a basic tool kit and innertubes and I always had a big bag of mixed fruit and nuts for an energy boost as you can soon start to flag if you are peddling a long way without sustenance. Eat a handful every 20 mins as you ride, so you don't crash your blood sugars. A midge headnet is advisable in Scotland, depending on the time of year, as is a tick remover if you are going into long grass. Comfortable clothing and wet gear, plus a small first aid kit.

As for a tent and sleeping bag, the choices are endless, but you want as light as possible and usually, lightweight equals expensive if you want anything decent. Make sure you put everything inside stout plastic bags before you put them inside your bike bags. You don't want to rock up for the night and find everything is soaking wet from a downpour, unless you have fully waterproof panniers.

As a precaution, I joined the Youth Hostel Association in my cycle touring days and on particularly bad days for weather, I would go and bunk in one of those, get a good nights kip and dry everything out in the drying room.

The only other advice I would give is to be careful and vigilant. A lot of drivers don't care for cyclists and give you no leeway whatsoever. I've also had stuff thrown at me from passing cars more than once. You are very vulnerable on a bike and I've seen a car plough into a couple on bikes up in Scotland. It was horrendous.

After that sobering thought, I have to say though that my cycle touring holidays were some of the best I've ever had. It's a great way to travel and nothing beats a view from the top of a mountain when you have had to climb all the way to the top on a bike.

Probably missed a few things, so ask away if you want any more specific info.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 4, 2021, 8:35am

Recovering Alcoholic
That is good advice by Ginny (wrapping stuff in separate dry bags - Ortileb dry bags are good for this but if not black bags are good enough) also in the summer a Midge net is a must.

Tent - if you’ve got a bit of Money to spend I’d recommended the Hilleberg soulo if you didn’t want to spend that kind of money then there are some great options out there by Vango/Berghaus etc

Sleeping bag  - I’d recommended a good lightweight 3 season synthetic bag (synthetic is better than Down when wet)  also I’d recommended to get a liner for your bag too.

Stove -  the MSR pocket rocket is a good start (lightweight and reliable)

A good light weight waterproof, a decent fleece/body warmer and plenty of base layers (thermals)

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 4, 2021, 1:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Couple of helpful (I hope) bikepacking vids

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
Humbercod
March 4, 2021, 5:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,488
Gold Stars: 82
Thank you for all the advice I’ve got myself an adventure bike that I’ve been steadily building the mileage up with long weekends away stopping in b&b’s and Airbnb etc. Now after camping with the family last year I’ve gotten the bug and now I really want to go off the beaten track self sufficient when the weather’s nicer, before tackling Scotland in the Sumner.

I didn’t realise how much you could spend on camping gear but I’ve looked at the 1 man vango tent which is more my budget. I’ve been watching a guy called Paul Messner on YouTube reviewing camping gear, he had a stove calked a jetboil stash (not available in uk yet) which looked very good but expensive, so I will check out the pocket  rocket. What about these ready meals are they the way to go?

I do worry a bit about security being on my own in the middle of nowhere but I suppose that’s all part of the adventure, but I’m looking for a decent bike lock as well (not to heavy) so I can leave my bike safe whilst I go exploring, the odd pub stop etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
ginnywings
March 4, 2021, 7:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Kryptonite locks have a security promise included.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
cmackenzie4
March 4, 2021, 7:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Wayfayrer meals are nice but expensive, the chocolate pudding is to die for, they are reasonably heavy though but it’s wet food not dried food so worth it in my opinion, I have a jetboil flash stove and can fully recommend them, quick and easy.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 4, 2021, 10:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings
Kryptonite locks have a security promise included.

A bit on the heavy side though and there is nowhere to carry it on your bike if you've already got loads of bags etc. They are good locks though.

Quoted Text
I’ve got myself an adventure bike that I’ve been steadily building the mileage up

What bike do you have?

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
ginnywings
March 5, 2021, 12:20am

Recovering Alcoholic
A frame mounting bracket solves the carrying of the lock. That's where mine was stored.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › YouTube videos of beautiful places

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.