This thread currently has 3,803 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
February 28, 2021, 6:39pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
My favourite place in the entire UK. Always try to get up there at least once a year.

Missing the place like mad. Had a week up there booked for last November but that was obviously cancelled. Now rebooked for this November, hopefully we can get up there again.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 61
cmackenzie4
February 28, 2021, 6:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
We go to Glencoe Ginny, I’m sure you’ll have a great trip mate, I’ve been to Ardnamurchan, we saw the lighthouse there, it was a lovely day, it was a long day though, we came back via Glenfinnan and Fort William. It must be fantastic in the camper, that’s how I’d like to travel Scotland mate.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 61
LH
February 28, 2021, 7:22pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,534
Gold Stars: 173
Can anyone recommend a good base point for a week’s walking in Scotland? Might as well use this time to explore this island with the dog. I’ve been up there with work a few times but never explored. I was once lucky enough to fly at very low level over lochs and the Western Isles sitting on the flight deck of a Hercules. Obviously a downside to this meant there was no photos allowed but it’s definitely the most memorable journey I’ve ever made. Looking down on the real life Balamory - Tobermory - was quite surreal.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 61
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 28, 2021, 8:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from LH
Can anyone recommend a good base point for a week’s walking in Scotland? Might as well use this time to explore this island with the dog. I’ve been up there with work a few times but never explored. I was once lucky enough to fly at very low level over lochs and the Western Isles sitting on the flight deck of a Hercules. Obviously a downside to this meant there was no photos allowed but it’s definitely the most memorable journey I’ve ever made. Looking down on the real life Balamory - Tobermory - was quite surreal.

In general the further north and west you go, the better the scenery, but the risk of not seeing much of it due to bad weather increases.

I’ve always liked Lochinver and Ullapool as bases to attack the far NW.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 61
mariner91
February 28, 2021, 8:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
I went to Plockton in 2019 and it was seriously beautiful. Also had a bowl of cullen skink which is a smoked haddock soup in a restaurant there which would be a good contender for my last meal if I was on death row. Lovely little place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 61
Les Brechin
February 28, 2021, 9:03pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from mariner91
I went to Plockton in 2019 and it was seriously beautiful. Also had a bowl of cullen skink which is a smoked haddock soup in a restaurant there which would be a good contender for my last meal if I was on death row. Lovely little place.

Cullen Skink, a Smoked Seafood Platter and a Scottish Cheeseboard from The Plockton Inn would be my last meal.  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 61
cmackenzie4
February 28, 2021, 9:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from LH

Fort William is a nice base but it’s still a drive up to Sutherland, Sutherland is amazing, it depends if you want to get away from it all but like a poster said the further North and West you go the better it is (for me it is anyway) I walked from Kinlochbervie to Cape Wrath via Oldshoremore and Sandwood bay, that was one of the best trips I’ve been on as well as a week In Knoydart were I didn’t see a soul all week.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 61
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 28, 2021, 9:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from mariner91

I had deep fried haggis from a chippy in Paisley. It definitely would not be on my list for a last meal. Actually I'm surprised it wasn't.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 61
ginnywings
February 28, 2021, 10:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from LH

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/arran/arran-coastal-way.shtml

Done quite a bit of this walk and it's ideal for a weeks walking. Varied and interesting with towns nicely spaced out around the Island, which is known as Scotland in miniature, as it is rolling countryside in the south and rugged in the north. Not too far to get to either and you can comfortably reach the ferry port at Ardrossan for the short trip over in a days drive from here. Can get a bit busy in the tourist season, but that's mainly in the south of the island. Good bus service right around the island if you don't want to drive, so you can do different sections each day with a week bus pass.

As others have said, basically anywhere on the west coast or any of the islands is worth a trip. With their right to roam, you can pretty much walk anywhere you like and in the summer, it's light until about 11pm.

I never tire of Scotland. The scenery ranges from beautiful to staggering. Some of the finest beaches I've ever seen, with barely a soul on most of them. Our dog goes batsh1t up there; think he likes it more than we do and we can't keep him out of the sea. Plus you're likely to spot seals, dolphins, porpoises otters, red deer, sea eagles and if you're very lucky a whale or two.

Check your dog nightly for ticks though. Ours seemed to pick them up daily and they got buried in his fur, mostly around the eyes and were difficult to spot in his long fur. They wouldn't do him any harm, as his flea tablet kills ticks too, but didn't want the little feckers getting on us. The midges and the ticks up there are a pain, but the scenery makes up for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 61
GrimRob
February 28, 2021, 11:16pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,422
Gold Stars: 113

Been to Iceland for a week-long walking holiday (lots of mountains!)
Also been taken around on a guided holiday

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › YouTube videos of beautiful places

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.