Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Jesus Christ

This thread currently has 17,643 views. Print
37 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
May 11, 2021, 4:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
I find this topic quite interesting but have to say as a non-believer I could never buy in to the blind faith that some folk have

As a kid I went to Sunday school religiously ( excuse the pun ) and from an early age I was well into the old Ladybird story books about "Daniel in the Lions Den" and the old man who was cured of his ills etc

Palm Sunday at church was always a time of celebration at the start of Holy Week and until my early teens that was my "reality"

I had no reason to disbelieve any of what I'd been told.... why would I?

My mum used to take me to the cinema to see the likes of "The greatest story ever told" and Ben Hur which kind of reinforced what I'd been taught at church every Sunday and for a while after we moved from Cleethorpes to Grimsby I was in two choirs ( St Aidans and St Hughs )

When I got to senior school though something changed in me.... so many things just didn't ring true and I started to question so much more about life and how unfair it is and once that happened my "faith" was over and done with

In some ways I admire those that do believe in a religion.... they see the good in it but sadly all I see is something divisive a lot of the time

I like to think I'm a tolerant kind of person and while that could be just my nature maybe it was being nurtured in my early years that gave me the right kind of outlook. As an adult though I don't need anything to justify my admiration of the natural world. I really do think it's all been random and not by design

Anyway I'll carry on following how this thread develops.... a kind of live and let live approach to everyone's viewpoints is what works best for me. Peace out!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 240 - 364
mariner91
May 12, 2021, 9:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,773
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from DB

Thank you for making my point, again. The best records of the days of Jesus are by pen and paper, no videos, no email, no cameras, and no social media apart from word of mouth. They recorded the truth of Jesus the best and only way they could.

But it's not making your point again is it? You said people would "read" about the holocaust and find it hard to believe. Firstly, the holocaust is a lot more believable than a man returning from the dead or literally walking on water or turning water into wine. Secondly, the point I was illustrating is that anyone can write something, doesn't make it true without other accounts or evidence to back it up. I could write I've got a 12 inch c0ck but doesn't stop the reality being that I've got a thrincher. Whereas the Holocaust has overwhelming evidence that it did happen, whereas the New testament has a few "first hand" accounts that were more likely written several decades, if not centuries, after the events allegedly happened.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 364
wuffing
May 18, 2021, 11:25am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +852
Gold Stars: 40
One persons movement can be a million followers who 'believe' it. The trouble is - is that a belief is not a truth. The best way is your own way, eacking out truth wherever you can and acting in accordance with what you find and living the best way that you can?

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 364
FishOutOfWater
May 18, 2021, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wuffing
One persons movement can be a million followers who 'believe' it. The trouble is - is that a belief is not a truth. The best way is your own way, eacking out truth wherever you can and acting in accordance with what you find and living the best way that you can?

Can't fault that.... do as you would be done by  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 243 - 364
KingstonMariner
May 18, 2021, 5:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Can't fault that.... do as you would be done by  

My old lady’s mantra.

Christians would lay claim to that though. “Love thy neighbour as thyself”. Though it wouldn’t surprise me if some Greek philosopher (Plato?) or Zoroaster came out with something like that. Any classicists in?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 364
DB
May 18, 2021, 7:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from KingstonMariner

My old lady’s mantra.

Christians would lay claim to that though. “Love thy neighbour as thyself”. Though it wouldn’t surprise me if some Greek philosopher (Plato?) or Zoroaster came out with something like that. Any classicists in?

Mark 12 v 31

‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 364
KingstonMariner
May 18, 2021, 7:38pm
Meths Drinker
I prefer the thee-ing and thou-ing of the King James Bible DB

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 364
FishOutOfWater
May 19, 2021, 3:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Published in Yorkshire?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 247 - 364
KingstonMariner
May 19, 2021, 4:58pm
Meths Drinker
Now that would be something! A Bible written in Yorkie.

Lerrim who is wi’yowt sin cast t’first storne

Foller me an I will make thee fishers of men. But not in a gair  wair. We don’t want any bloody poufs round ere!

Dad! Dad! Why hast tha left me!

Blessed are’t’careful for they shall ave brass in pocket

Eee! Look at Jesus walking on t’watter

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 364
Sandford1981
May 19, 2021, 5:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Now that would be something! A Bible written in Yorkie.

Lerrim who is wi’yowt sin cast t’first storne

Foller me an I will make thee fishers of men. But not in a gair  wair. We don’t want any bloody poufs round ere!

Dad! Dad! Why hast tha left me!

Blessed are’t’careful for they shall ave brass in pocket

Eee! Look at Jesus walking on t’watter

Ha! Absolutely brilliant 😂😂😂

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 364
37 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.