Azimuth
January 3, 2021, 5:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Hagrid
Some of the abuse particularly on twitter very much over the top. Effing useless girl private this and some directly sending messages to him

How utterly disgraceful to subject any individual to that form and level of abuse, it is the worst kind of cruelty and bullying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 80
Cod Cheeks
January 3, 2021, 6:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
He’s a player that has relied on his pace, that’s now gone and he has very little else in the locker.
A bit like good looking blokes not having to learn how to chat up!
When they’re old and bald , they’re stuffed!
He makes himself available every week for the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 80
KingstonMariner
January 3, 2021, 9:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from StaffsMariner
Green isn't a target man, he's like Podge...only plays well as the second striker in a 2 man attack. Both are capable of scoring goals but not in a 3 man front line...it's just not there game. Podge at Hartlepool was played in a 3 and it failed to produce..only when they played 4-4-2 did he start scoring again.
I'm sure Hurst knows that better than any of us.

Think he scored 15 for Hartlepool that season. Wish we’d had players who failed to produce like that.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 80
arryarryarry
January 3, 2021, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
He’s a player that has relied on his pace, that’s now gone and he has very little else in the locker.
A bit like good looking blokes not having to learn how to chat up!
When they’re old and bald , they’re stuffed!
He makes himself available every week for the team

Speak for yourself sunshine  
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 80
Cod Cheeks
January 4, 2021, 8:45am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Quoted from arryarryarry

Speak for yourself sunshine  

Haha! I am!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 80
diehardmariner
January 4, 2021, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
The problem with Green is that he doesn't have an attribute of note.

He's not quick, he isn't strong, he isn't bursting with energy, he doesn't have a great touch, the ball doesn't stick to him, he doesn't bring others into play, he doesn't pre-empt what's happening and he isn't clinical or blessed with natural instinct of some strikers.

I've been critical of Green pretty much since he came here and at periods last season and earlier this season even suggested he might not be pulling his weight in terms of effort.  But I actually think he's done ok in the last month or so.  Don't get me wrong, it's still not enough but he's started to at least try and get his body between the ball and defenders, on a few occasions he's actually held up it really well and brought others into play...but then there's the example like from the first half on Saturday when the ball comes to him in a great position and he hesitates, allows the ball to run across his body and gives the defender time to get a block in.  

Combination of many things.  Confidence is the one that really stands out to me.    Like all strikers, if he got a run of goals I actually think he would be ten times the player.  When he scored earlier in the season, forget who it was against, he looked a different player for 20 minutes after it.  But he doesn't score anywhere near often enough to get that boost.

Ultimately he isn't what we need. Gibson and Jackson coming on in the second half on Saturday proved that even one or two attributes, in their case a bit of pace and enthusiasm, adds a totally different dimension to the attack.  I'm at the point now where I feel for Green because it's just not his fault.  Some players slowly decline, whereas some players just seem to hit a wall of no longer having anything about their game.  I fear this is the case for Green.

Anyone actively seeking him out to send personal abuse wants to seek professional help.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 80
Boris Johnson
January 4, 2021, 11:44am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
No sympathy, needs sacking off, along with the rest of the shower of excrement that we currently have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 80
Mayaman
January 4, 2021, 12:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
I reckon 'lay off' is a poor choice of words here, I thought you were suggesting giving him his p45 from the thread title.......

I did too.  I thought how?   I like Matt but he hasn't delivered.  I really hope Hurst can do some magic and get him the service he needs to play a more important role.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 80
arryarryarry
January 4, 2021, 2:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from diehardmariner
The problem with Green is that he doesn't have an attribute of note.

He's not quick, he isn't strong, he isn't bursting with energy, he doesn't have a great touch, the ball doesn't stick to him, he doesn't bring others into play, he doesn't pre-empt what's happening and he isn't clinical or blessed with natural instinct of some strikers.

I've been critical of Green pretty much since he came here and at periods last season and earlier this season even suggested he might not be pulling his weight in terms of effort.  But I actually think he's done ok in the last month or so.  Don't get me wrong, it's still not enough but he's started to at least try and get his body between the ball and defenders, on a few occasions he's actually held up it really well and brought others into play...but then there's the example like from the first half on Saturday when the ball comes to him in a great position and he hesitates, allows the ball to run across his body and gives the defender time to get a block in.  

Combination of many things.  Confidence is the one that really stands out to me.    Like all strikers, if he got a run of goals I actually think he would be ten times the player.  When he scored earlier in the season, forget who it was against, he looked a different player for 20 minutes after it.  But he doesn't score anywhere near often enough to get that boost.

Ultimately he isn't what we need. Gibson and Jackson coming on in the second half on Saturday proved that even one or two attributes, in their case a bit of pace and enthusiasm, adds a totally different dimension to the attack.  I'm at the point now where I feel for Green because it's just not his fault.  Some players slowly decline, whereas some players just seem to hit a wall of no longer having anything about their game.  I fear this is the case for Green.

Anyone actively seeking him out to send personal abuse wants to seek professional help.

I'm not sure if you are referring to the incident just before they broke away and scored but speaking to someone who was at the game he thought he slipped on the wet grass and lost his footing.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 80
pontoonlew
January 4, 2021, 2:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm not sure if you are referring to the incident just before they broke away and scored but speaking to someone who was at the game he thought he slipped on the wet grass and lost his footing.

Not sure I saw it like that, he went completely the wrong way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It's time to lay off Matt Green

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.