This thread currently has 6,793 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
June 22, 2020, 7:06am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,409
Gold Stars: 113
Please enter your nomination for last week (within the world of football)....

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Mariner Ronnie
June 22, 2020, 10:12am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Liverpool squad, klopp, disgusting performance yesterday and an insult to the paying subscriber.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 54
promotion plaice
June 22, 2020, 10:42am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,064
Gold Stars: 198

Goal-line technology.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 54
Boris Johnson
June 22, 2020, 10:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Klopp...keep your flipping nose out of our Politics, German girl private
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 54
Squinter
June 22, 2020, 12:35pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
I know he's non footy, but I have to nominate Lewis Hamilton.
Say's all statues with links to slave trade must be removed, yet he gets paid £40m to drive a Mercedes Benz car.  Mercedes Benz used jewish slave labour to fuel the Nazi war effort.
Critisies the FIA for letting Australian GP go ahead at the start of corona virus outbreak, then goes on an illegal mass gathering protest march yesterday.
Says there should be equality in the UK, yet pays little or no tax in the UK and lives in Switzerland.  How many hungry kids could his missing tax feed in the UK.

Hypocrite of the highest order.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 54
RonMariner
June 22, 2020, 3:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
VAR - if it can't spot gross errors like the Sheff United 'goal' what on earth is it good for?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 54
AdamHaddock
June 23, 2020, 1:21am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Burnley banner idiots

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 54
St. Pauli
June 23, 2020, 9:25am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 1
Burnley banner idiots !!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 54
Boris Johnson
June 23, 2020, 10:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Pep Guadiola...virtue signalling bullshit..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 54
GYinScuntland
June 23, 2020, 10:16am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Squinter
I know he's non footy, but I have to nominate Lewis Hamilton.
Say's all statues with links to slave trade must be removed, yet he gets paid £40m to drive a Mercedes Benz car.  Mercedes Benz used jewish slave labour to fuel the Nazi war effort.
Critisies the FIA for letting Australian GP go ahead at the start of corona virus outbreak, then goes on an illegal mass gathering protest march yesterday.
Says there should be equality in the UK, yet pays little or no tax in the UK and lives in Switzerland.  How many hungry kids could his missing tax feed in the UK.

Hypocrite of the highest order.

A wardrobe full of Hugo Boss too by all accounts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 54
Sir Matt Tease
June 23, 2020, 12:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Burnley banner idiots

Why have you chosen this as your twit of the week post ?

I would love to hear the rational behind your post ?

If its ok to wander around London with Black Lives Matter banners, why is a banner towed behind an aircraft stating White Lives Matter any different ? Is one racist and the other not ?

I am not posting this to be confrontational, I just don't see the difference.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 23, 2020, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,717
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

Why have you chosen this as your twit of the week post ?

I would love to hear the rational behind your post ?

If its ok to wander around London with Black Lives Matter banners, why is a banner towed behind an aircraft stating White Lives Matter any different ? Is one racist and the other not ?

I am not posting this to be confrontational, I just don't see the difference.

There seems to be a massive group think going on at the moment, fuelled by a subservient media that cannot see the majority view. Even historically right wing papers like the Telegraph and the Mail have succumbed to the narrative that anything on or from the left is fine; anything slightly to the right is branded racist, evil and despicable.  Needless to say that is not the majority view.

As regards the banner, what on earth is wrong with the statement that white lives matter? All lives matter but in part it would have been in response to the savage and horrific murder in cold blood and in broad daylight of three innocent people. The media seem more exercised about a banner than 3 savage murders.

The Premier league have brought this on themselves by allowing a political movement to use players as a pawn in their game with kneeling and the name of the political movement on shirts. The fact they did not realise it would provoke a reaction from fans who think all lives matter and do not condone the more unsavoury aspects of BLM remains a mystery .

The Premier league, its administrators and players are my twists of the week for dragging the game through the political mud.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 23, 2020, 1:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The banner was a reaction and it is always the reaction that gets the punishment. I think the banner was a pretty clueless thing to do but reasonably predictable as we see it was done by a supporter of Robinson.

But - and it is a big but - the knee benders are making a point on behalf of BLM and BLM is no longer about some bloke in the US, it is about supporting a radical political movement. That movement is a very shadowy one indeed as are it’s finances, the Leeds demo this week for instance had Extinction Rebellion support. The aims of BLM extend way beyond a solidarity or a protest but the media and the police seem unwilling or even frightened to look further into it.  

The tee shirts wearers and knees benders are being incredibly naive If they think this is merely a protest asking or demanding equality. Look at Rashford’s photo from the Spurs game - knee bend and raised clench fist. When did we last see that gesture and what did it mean?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
AussieMariner
June 23, 2020, 7:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
I tend to agree that the message Black Lives Matter is a little ambiguous

Maybe they should have just gone with STOP BEING RACIST CNUTS

I went to the rally in Leeds and my main takeaway was that being silent and turning a blind eye to racism is not acceptable and I will call it out whenever and wherever I see it

I don’t give a excrement about the arguments about the motivations of the organisers - racism is racism and I’m reading it in this thread and I’m calling it out

The Burnley banner was racist in its intent and its argument just doesn’t wash - whites are not subject to institutionalised racism In this country but blacks are - and hopefully this movement is the beginning of the end of that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
pen penfras
June 23, 2020, 8:21pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from AussieMariner

I went to the rally in Leeds and my main takeaway was that being silent and turning a blind eye to racism is not acceptable and I will call it out whenever and wherever I see it

I don’t give a excrement about the arguments about the motivations of the organisers - racism is racism and I’m reading it in this thread and I’m calling it out

The Burnley banner was racist in its intent and its argument just doesn’t wash - whites are not subject to institutionalised racism In this country but blacks are - and hopefully this movement is the beginning of the end of that

The statement in itself is absolutely no more racist than black lives matter. The intention of the people who did it is most likely racist, but did come just after 3 white people were murdered from a racist attack. You can call it terrorism, but it's Muslim people deliberately killing white people in this country multiple times.

Black people have not been targeted for murder in this country by another sect in a long time.

I take exception to institutionalalised racism comments. I don't believe that to be true in the UK. There are groups of racist idiots from all races, but everybody has an equal opportunity here. It's just difficult for people to break out of the life they're born into, regardless of race. Black people used to be discriminated against, but they have the opportunity to work their way up the ladder nowadays.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 23, 2020, 8:32pm
Vodka Drinker

. I call racism when 3 innocent white men are knifed to death in an English town in broad daylight.

The UK is one of the most diverse countries in the world, not that it has done us any good.

The Burnley banner was an understandable reaction to the vile murder of 3 white people just minding their own business .

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
Sir Matt Tease
June 23, 2020, 8:41pm
Snakebite drinker

So your calling it out ? Where do you see racism in this thread ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
AussieMariner
June 23, 2020, 8:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

The statement in itself is absolutely no more racist than black lives matter. The intention of the people who did it is most likely racist, but did come just after 3 white people were murdered from a racist attack. You can call it terrorism, but it's Muslim people deliberately killing white people in this country multiple times.

If it’s racist it’s racist and it needs to be condemned. By all means protest against murder, but why do it just after the players have just made their protest if you are not trying to undermine that protest. They are separate issues and one does not negate the other.

Black people have not been targeted for murder in this country by another sect in a long time.

Thank goodness for that. However their lives have been affected and are still being affected by racism. The fact we don’t kill them anymore is hardly an argument to say there is no racism.

I take exception to institutionalalised racism comments. I don't believe that to be true in the UK. There are groups of racist idiots from all races,

That doesn’t make our racists ok

but everybody has an equal opportunity here. It's just difficult for people to break out of the life they're born into, regardless of race. Black people used to be discriminated against, but they have the opportunity to work their way up the ladder nowadays.

Yes, but even when they do ‘work their way up’ they are still subject to racism. Why do black footballers get stopped in their expensive cars and asked how they afford them when white footballers don’t? Why are there so few blacks in football management when there are so many black players? There are plenty of other examples and I have seen them myself and turned a blind eye which I now know made me part of the problem. I don’t know the extent of racism in this country But I know it exists, and when I see it I will call it out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
AussieMariner
June 23, 2020, 9:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

So your calling it out ? Where do you see racism in this thread ?

Really?

I see it in this comment:

If I have to spell it out the timing and location of the Burnley banner was clearly an attack on the protest the players were making. Using White Lives Matter as an attempt to negate the Black Lives Matter Message is denying that there is a problem and that denial is the problem. It’s inherently racist, and comments on here excusing the Burnley banner perpetuate that racism.

Of course the murders in Reading are horrendous and also racist and they should be protested against. But to do it in that manner and in that place is inflammatory and exactly the type of thinking that perpetuates the problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 23, 2020, 9:29pm
Vodka Drinker

Yes, but even when they do ‘work their way up’ they are still subject to racism. Why do black footballers get stopped in their expensive cars and asked how they afford them when white footballers don’t? Why are there so few blacks in football management when there are so many black players? There are plenty of other examples and I have seen them myself and turned a blind eye which I now know made me part of the problem. I don’t know the extent of racism in this country But I know it exists, and when I see it I will call it out.

It was in the US where a black man was killed by police. The US has very different racial undertones to the UK.

We are not a racist country. We bend over backwards to welcome allcomers and have some of the most stringent anti racism laws in the world.

If you want to beat yourself up about being "part of the problem " then go ahead but despite being a tiny percentage of the UK population black and ethnic people have good representation in all our major institutions including the police, business and politics and there is no bar in this country for them to achieve whatever they wish.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
Sir Matt Tease
June 23, 2020, 9:43pm
Snakebite drinker

It was in the US where a black man was killed by police. The US has very different racial undertones to the UK.

We are not a racist country. We bend over backwards to welcome allcomers and have some of the most stringent anti racism laws in the world.

If you want to beat yourself up about being "part of the problem " then go ahead but despite being a tiny percentage of the UK population black and ethnic people have good representation in all our major institutions including the police, business and politics and there is no bar in this country for them to achieve whatever they wish.

Maybe Aussie Mariner should read this post, its spot on !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
AussieMariner
June 23, 2020, 9:58pm
Table Wine Drinker

. I call racism when 3 innocent white men are knifed to death in an English town in broad daylight.

Me too

The UK is one of the most diverse countries in the world, not that it has done us any good.

??????

The Burnley banner was an understandable reaction to the vile murder of 3 white people just minding their own business .

No it wasn’t. That protest could have been made anywhere. They chose to make it in response to another protest.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
HistonMariner
June 24, 2020, 3:27am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 13
Cheltenham for not winning who I’d looked forward to not playing.

Or Exeter for winning and possibly denying us of one of the better away-days.

N.B. 1) Presuppose attendance is possible.
        2) Football related Twits are still considered ....
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
pen penfras
June 24, 2020, 8:36am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71

"Why do black footballers get stopped in their expensive cars and asked how they afford them when white footballers don’t?"
Do you know that to be true, or do just the black players make noise about it accusing them of being racist when maybe the police are wondering how somebody so young has the money to buy such an expensive car. It doesn't happen often to black players, and I will bet any amount that white players have been stopped too and just not said anything.

"Why are there so few blacks in football management when there are so many black players?"
A huge portion of black players are from foreign countries. After making millions in the game, why would they want to stick around for another 30 years in a country with miserable weather when they could go home and be with their families? Black managers have had some good opportunities and failed miserably, if they'd even been ok, they'd have got subsequent jobs and be on the merry-go-round.

Actually the amount of black players is completely disproportionate to the make up of society. Doesn't your theory of equality and representation mean that we need to remove the number of black players in teams so that there's only 3% black players in this country? No? Didn't think so, because that in itself is racist, giving people an opportunity only because of the colour of their skin and not because of their ability.

I can quote discriminatory things where people have only got jobs because they're of some ethnic minority to make up the numbers rather than based on their ability. There was a case in the police a few years ago where a guy took them to court because he was better than the black person through all stages of the promotion process, but the black person ticked a different box. Positive discrimination is just as wrong...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
Boris Johnson
June 24, 2020, 9:44am
Table Wine Drinker

This movement? What movement?

Its faceless for a start, its confrontationaL and its aggressive.  Any idea where the Million or so pounds have gone to? Any idea whats its objectives are? Will you be using any of the million pounds to re-imburse coumcils for the revenue lost on repairing/re-painting statues, town centres, walls?  Any regret about the wanton vandalism.  That's your movement, angry hate filled mob, sad little illegitimates who think the world owes them a living. You have done more in a month to harm race relations in a country that is far better than many in the world, than any other movement in History. Take whats yours not to take, steal what you dont own, destroy with wanton abandon. If you want your movement to succeed, get someone to lead it , and I dont mean disgusting black racists such as the Stormzy's, or David Lammy's of this world.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
AussieMariner
June 24, 2020, 9:56am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Boris Johnson

This movement? What movement?

Its faceless for a start, its confrontationaL and its aggressive.  Any idea where the Million or so pounds have gone to? Any idea whats its objectives are? Will you be using any of the million pounds to re-imburse coumcils for the revenue lost on repairing/re-painting statues, town centres, walls?  Any regret about the wanton vandalism.  That's your movement, angry hate filled mob, sad little illegitimates who think the world owes them a living. You have done more in a month to harm race relations in a country that is far better than many in the world, than any other movement in History. Take whats yours not to take, steal what you dont own, destroy with wanton abandon. If you want your movement to succeed, get someone to lead it , and I dont mean disgusting black racists such as the Stormzy's, or David Lammy's of this world.

As I said in my first post on this it’s not about the organisation. Racism is racism and that Burnley banner was racist and should be condemned as such - as indeed it has been by the club.
I don’t agree with people and organisations making money out of the climate change industry but it doesn’t make me believe in pollution.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
Boris Johnson
June 24, 2020, 10:04am
Table Wine Drinker

As I said in my first post on this it’s not about the organisation. Racism is racism and that Burnley banner was racist and should be condemned as such - as indeed it has been by the club.
I don’t agree with people and organisations making money out of the climate change industry but it doesn’t make me believe in pollution.

I asked you specifc questions on this movement....you have answered none. Fight your battles the way you seem fit, but if you are expecting any mass sign up to an organisation that is hiding from the public, dont expect a ground swell of sympathy for your position.

Destroy our history good or bad, you will be caught, you will be jailed.  You want to bring about change, you do it with respect for other people's opinions, and respect for the nation that homes you. Its the same with climate change, you wont take to argument to China because your scared.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 24, 2020, 10:05am
Vodka Drinker

Boris Johnson (the Fishy poster) is spot on. Very few people would disagree black lives matter because all lives matter, but it has quickly morphed into a mob that apparently wants to create anarchy and has set back racial divisions no end.

The Burnley banner was NOT racist. It broke no laws as the police have confirmed and it was a private individual expressing his opinion just like you or I.

How you could think black lives matter is fine and dandy but white lives matter is racist escapes me.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
AussieMariner
June 24, 2020, 1:40pm
Table Wine Drinker

Boris Johnson (the Fishy poster) is spot on. Very few people would disagree black lives matter because all lives matter, but it has quickly morphed into a mob that apparently wants to create anarchy and has set back racial divisions no end.

The Burnley banner was NOT racist. It broke no laws as the police have confirmed and it was a private individual expressing his opinion just like you or I.

How you could think black lives matter is fine and dandy but white lives matter is racist escapes me.

OK I will say it just one more time.

It’s different because of the context in which it was used.

By displaying the banner just as the players were taking the knee they were clearly challenging the concept of BLM and the players’ protest. If not, why go to the expense and trouble of flying it over the ground at exactly that time?

That makes it racist. It doesn’t have to break laws to be racist in it’s intent. It was deliberately confrontational and inflammatory and making excuses for it is in effect condoning it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
Boris Johnson
June 24, 2020, 2:05pm
Table Wine Drinker

By displaying the banner just as the players were taking the knee they were clearly challenging the concept of BLM and the players’ protest. If not, why go to the expense and trouble of flying it over the ground at exactly that time?

That makes it racist. It doesn’t have to break laws to be racist in it’s intent. It was deliberately confrontational and inflammatory and making excuses for it is in effect condoning it.

The issue with the taking of the knee and the PL is lip service, its a product viewed by millions. Why wasnt the opportunity to take the knee made to the FL..or have i missed something.  I wasnt aware that taking the knee was a protest, more of a solidarity movement, but please correct me if i wrong.

Do you think if our league was 'live' at present, and fans were in the stadium that this would go ahead? Do you think it would be supported unanimously...its lip service being played out to protect a product to empty stadiums were fans cannot voice opposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 24, 2020, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker

I will say it one more time. You are wrong on every count. Had it been racist he would have been cautioned by the police. No crime racist or otherwise was committed.

You seem to be confusing being confrontational with racism. It doesn't work like that. He intended to make a point at the most provocative moment to highlight his case which is fair enough as any campaigner would do the same, including black lives matter.

You seem to be bizarrely saying that every alternative view is racist.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
AussieMariner
June 24, 2020, 2:20pm
Table Wine Drinker

The issue with the taking of the knee and the PL is lip service, its a product viewed by millions. Why wasnt the opportunity to take the knee made to the FL..or have i missed something.  I wasnt aware that taking the knee was a protest, more of a solidarity movement, but please correct me if i wrong.

Do you think if our league was 'live' at present, and fans were in the stadium that this would go ahead? Do you think it would be supported unanimously...its lip service being played out to protect a product to empty stadiums were fans cannot voice opposition.

I agree it probably is lip service. But that’s not what the banner said.

And I agree that it is not supported unanimously - if it were there would be no point in doing it would there?

I am simply responding to those who disagreed with the posters who nominated the banner for TWOTW by making excuses for it and saying that it is not racist. It is, and it was intended to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 24, 2020, 3:00pm
Special Brew Drinker

So what you are saying is that any comment, banner, spoken word, or even post on a forum that is felt to express a challenge to BLM is inherently racist?

Do you really mean that? The logic seems far removed from reality.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
AussieMariner
June 24, 2020, 4:01pm
Table Wine Drinker

So what you are saying is that any comment, banner, spoken word, or even post on a forum that is felt to express a challenge to BLM is inherently racist?

Do you really mean that? The logic seems far removed from reality.

No I’m saying that that banner at that place at that time was inherently racist. Whether other comments are racist or not depends on their content and context.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 24, 2020, 4:25pm
Special Brew Drinker

No I’m saying that that banner at that place at that time was inherently racist. Whether other comments are racist or not depends on their content and context.

Then logically, an action that precipitated a banner is also racist as it was clearly confrontational enough to cause someone to go to the time and expense of the banner.

Other comments etc. do not depend on context, I with they did but they are deemed racist if the reader/recipient considers them such. There is no absolute standard and there lies an issue.

The whole problem arises from the naivety of Roy Jenkins in 1976 who was entranced by the notions of discrimination laws in parts of the US and left our law full of holes that have never been filled. In fact they are being widened.

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
Sir Matt Tease
June 24, 2020, 7:54pm
Snakebite drinker

I agree it probably is lip service. But that’s not what the banner said.

And I agree that it is not supported unanimously - if it were there would be no point in doing it would there?

I am simply responding to those who disagreed with the posters who nominated the banner for TWOTW by making excuses for it and saying that it is not racist. It is, and it was intended to be.

You need to re-read the original post that got you so excited.

At no point did I make excuses for it and I did not say it was not racist, I asked what the difference was ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
barralad
June 24, 2020, 11:12pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from pen penfras

"Why do black footballers get stopped in their expensive cars and asked how they afford them when white footballers don’t?"
Do you know that to be true, or do just the black players make noise about it accusing them of being racist when maybe the police are wondering how somebody so young has the money to buy such an expensive car. It doesn't happen often to black players, and I will bet any amount that white players have been stopped too and just not said anything.

"Why are there so few blacks in football management when there are so many black players?"
A huge portion of black players are from foreign countries. After making millions in the game, why would they want to stick around for another 30 years in a country with miserable weather when they could go home and be with their families? Black managers have had some good opportunities and failed miserably, if they'd even been ok, they'd have got subsequent jobs and be on the merry-go-round.

Actually the amount of black players is completely disproportionate to the make up of society. Doesn't your theory of equality and representation mean that we need to remove the number of black players in teams so that there's only 3% black players in this country? No? Didn't think so, because that in itself is racist, giving people an opportunity only because of the colour of their skin and not because of their ability.

I can quote discriminatory things where people have only got jobs because they're of some ethnic minority to make up the numbers rather than based on their ability. There was a case in the police a few years ago where a guy took them to court because he was better than the black person through all stages of the promotion process, but the black person ticked a different box. Positive discrimination is just as wrong...

We can all quote examples to back up our point but what is the source? Very often it's a friend of a friend urban myth. One of my jobs was dealing with complaints from the public about DSS benefitS.  If I had a pound for everyone who quoted me the all migrants get a car, mobile phone and other "perks" I'd have retired a very rich person. Almost invariably the letters began "My friend lives next door to....
Oh and I'm sure you are aware that positive discrimination is illegal in this country. There is a world of difference between what you describe and the advertising that applications for jobs by people of ethnic backgrounds will be welcomed.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
codcheeky
June 25, 2020, 11:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Quoted from pen penfras

I take exception to institutionalalised racism comments. I don't believe that to be true in the UK. There are groups of racist idiots from all races, but everybody has an equal opportunity here. It's just difficult for people to break out of the life they're born into, regardless of race. Black people used to be discriminated against, but they have the opportunity to work their way up the ladder nowadays.

If you do not believe in institutional racism you are at odds with every study and government report into it in this country. Every set of figures shows the U K to be institutionally racist.
That many like you refuse to accept it because it is uncomfortable and do not want to see it is the problem and why the BLM movement exists. No we are not like the USA but less racist is still racist and nothing to be proud of.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 25, 2020, 1:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

If you do not believe in institutional racism you are at odds with every study and government report into it in this country. Every set of figures shows the U K to be institutionally racist.
That many like you refuse to accept it because it is uncomfortable and do not want to see it is the problem and why the BLM movement exists. No we are not like the USA but less racist is still racist and nothing to be proud of.

The trouble with the UK is that too many people in it are far too critical of every aspect of life, both current and in terms of our history.

How can the UK be instiutionally racist when we have become so diverse and as other posters have said we have BAME people at the top of every field?

I see people and reports saying that ethnic minorities should have more representation; but we are still a predominantly white country and as their name suggests they are in the minority, which presumably means they will be in the minority in any field you care to mention.

There is nothing wrong being in a minority. Too much emphasis is put on it in my view. If I moved to another country to retire I would be in a minority but so what? I am often in the minority within my own household for christ's sake.

What would be nice to hear is people media and government talking about the whole of the UK, including all its different cultures and races and treating us as one population instead of creating differences by appealing to different sections of society all the time. We should be one United Kingdom under the law of the land all treated equally and leave it at that.

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
Squinter
June 25, 2020, 9:18pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from codcheeky

Yes I agree, there is racism in the UK, but maybe not to the extent that the BLM movement would like us to think.  However it is not one way traffic, how can there be a BLM protest one day, then a couple of days later there is a riot in Brixton were 22 police officers were injured ? I've seen the images and the vast majority of offenders were black.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
Boris Johnson
June 26, 2020, 1:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Squinter

Yes I agree, there is racism in the UK, but maybe not to the extent that the BLM movement would like us to think.  However it is not one way traffic, how can there be a BLM protest one day, then a couple of days later there is a riot in Brixton were 22 police officers were injured ? I've seen the images and the vast majority of offenders were black.  

its because they are the wronged party, the whole world is against them, and because they can get away with it, due to the appeasement of our Police force at present.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
smokey111
June 26, 2020, 12:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,349
Gold Stars: 46

its because they are the wronged party, the whole world is against them, and because they can get away with it, due to the appeasement of our Police force at present.

The world is against them.

They can get away with it.

Nothing like sweeping generalisations. It isn't the whole world, but we could certainly start with a section of the Minneapolis police force.

By making such lazy statements you do yourself a grave and particularly sad disservice.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
Boris Johnson
June 26, 2020, 12:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from smokey111

The world is against them.

They can get away with it.

Nothing like sweeping generalisations. It isn't the whole world, but we could certainly start with a section of the Minneapolis police force.

By making such lazy statements you do yourself a grave and particularly sad disservice.

sorry but i respectively disagree.....always the victims, its nevber their fault.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
smokey111
June 26, 2020, 2:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Always the victims!!!!

Certainly the last few hundred years. Do you not acknowledge the institutional racism which has plagued many of the sections of Britain society?

Do you know what, save your time responding. I have clearly bitten to a wind up merchant or, more worryingly, lifted the stone from which you reside under.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 26, 2020, 3:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from smokey111
Always the victims!!!!

Certainly the last few hundred years. Do you not acknowledge the institutional racism which has plagued many of the sections of Britain society.

Do you know what, save your time responding. I have clearly bitten to a wind up merchant or, more worryingly, lifted the stone from which you reside under.

It's not any of those things. We don't agree with your analysis.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
smokey111
June 26, 2020, 3:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Didn't know you spoke on behalf of others. Genuinely can't be ar**d to continue. It is depressing to be honest. You have cornered me and I agree with everything you have said and my analysis is, and always has been, flawed. TTFN.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
Manchester Mariner
June 26, 2020, 4:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Sepp Blatter.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 26, 2020, 5:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from smokey111
Didn't know you spoke on behalf of others. Genuinely can't be ar**d to continue. It is depressing to be honest. You have cornered me and I agree with everything you have said and my analysis is, and always has been, flawed. TTFN.

Don't take the huff.  I was simply pointing out that others take a different and equally valid point of view.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
Rodley Mariner
June 26, 2020, 5:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I don't think a lot of your opinions are valid. You seem to think a bloke making a hash of running a League 2 football club is an unforgivable evil but an inept Prime Minister and institutional racism are just one of those things and everyone should stop banging on about them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 26, 2020, 6:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I don't think a lot of your opinions are valid. You seem to think a bloke making a hash of running a League 2 football club is an unforgivable evil but an inept Prime Minister and institutional racism are just one of those things and everyone should stop banging on about them.

Ouch😄

All things are relative so my views on Fenty are on a quite different plane to government actions and racism.

There are some countries in the world who are shockingly racist but I don't believe the UK is. Nobody denies there are racist incidents as there are all over the world, but as I have said before we have stringent racist laws and BAME people hold some of the most important positions in society which seems at odds to people screaming racist all the time.

We are one of the most diverse countries in the world so all I am asking for is a bit of balance in debates.

As regards my support for Boris and co. I am one of those majority of voters who voted for them and am not going to criticise them too much as I appreciate they have an almost impossible situation which would have tested any government of any colour.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
Rodley Mariner
June 26, 2020, 7:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I don't we're a massively racist country either and I don't think British history is solely one of oppression and empirical evil either and that historical context is important.Yet I don't think it's really for me as a white person to say 'we're only a bit racist so I don't really see the problem'. As Codcheeky says there are myriad studies showing institutional racism exists in the UK. If you think it isn't back that up with some evidence otherwise I think his opinion is more valid than yours. You're entitled to hold it and we're entitled to think it's balderdash and say so.

It was obviously a hard situation for the government but I don't accept for a second they couldn't have done and couldn't be doing considerably better. I actually started from a position of 'cut them some slack in an appalling situation' but I can't see how anybody can look at it objectively and not see a catalogue of intercourse ups. Johnson still seems to think it's all a bit of a laugh to me. Seaside towns just need to show some guts don't they?

For what it's worth I suspect Corbyn would have been a disaster as well but more through dithering than the lazy, stupid, entitled, witless approach we have had from that buffoon and his gang of inept cheerleaders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
Stadium
June 26, 2020, 7:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19

Ouch😄

All things are relative so my views on Fenty are on a quite different plane to government actions and racism.

There are some countries in the world who are shockingly racist but I don't believe the UK is. Nobody denies there are racist incidents as there are all over the world, but as I have said before we have stringent racist laws and BAME people hold some of the most important positions in society which seems at odds to people screaming racist all the time.

We are one of the most diverse countries in the world so all I am asking for is a bit of balance in debates.

As regards my support for Boris and co. I am one of those majority of voters who voted for them and am not going to criticise them too much as I appreciate they have an almost impossible situation which would have tested any government of any colour.

https://is.gd/gCJX44

Another little snippet to digest:

https://www.thelondoneconomic......nd-care-staff/25/06/

Hunt wrote an article to promote testing the same day:

"Some 331 Conservative MPs opposed a motion that would have led to weekly testing of NHS workers and care staff last night.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, alongside Dr Rosena Allin-Khan, Jon Ashworth and Liz Kendall brought a motion to Parliament calling on greater protective measures to be rolled out in the health system.

But it was voted down by more than 300 MPs, including Jeremy Hunt who had called for a weekly testing himself on the same day."

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 26, 2020, 7:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I don't we're a massively racist country either and I don't think British history is solely one of oppression and empirical evil either and that historical context is important.Yet I don't think it's really for me as a white person to say 'we're only a bit racist so I don't really see the problem'. As Codcheeky says there are myriad studies showing institutional racism exists in the UK. If you think it isn't back that up with some evidence otherwise I think his opinion is more valid than yours. You're entitled to hold it and we're entitled to think it's balderdash and say so.

It was obviously a hard situation for the government but I don't accept for a second they couldn't have done and couldn't be doing considerably better. I actually started from a position of 'cut them some slack in an appalling situation' but I can't see how anybody can look at it objectively and not see a catalogue of intercourse ups. Johnson still seems to think it's all a bit of a laugh to me. Seaside towns just need to show some guts don't they?

For what it's worth I suspect Corbyn would have been a disaster as well but more through dithering than the lazy, stupid, entitled, witless approach we have had from that buffoon and his gang of inept cheerleaders.

The debate isnt balanced though is it? Reading some posters you would think the UK is a vipers nest of detestable racism in all its forms which is clearly untrue.

Institutional racism is a difficult one. The UK is not like Life on Mars as depicted in 1973 anymore. Since the Stephen Lawrence case what 20 years ago the UK has made massive strides. Every Human resources department is falling over itself with stringent anti racist laws that must be followed or very heavy penalties will apply. You may think there is some way to go.

I have a more lasse' fair approach to the government's actions over coronavirus because I think it is up to the individual to decide what is best in their particular circumstances.  I speak as one in the medically vulnerable group and will do what I consider sensible for me and those around me without waiting for government diktat.

The differences between posters is part of the human condition and although we all get ariated at times that is the way it should be.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
codcheeky
June 27, 2020, 12:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251

Ouch😄

The majority of voters did not vote for Boris and co. however under our system he is PM with a large majority. The majority voted for centre or centre left parties, you should not be surprised so many flag up his complete failure to get a grip on this crisis.  To put it perspective if the totally inept and chaotic Trump administration had performed as badly as the U.K. per population size they would have 250,000 deaths.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
June 27, 2020, 9:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

The majority of voters did not vote for Boris and co. however under our system he is PM with a large majority. The majority voted for centre or centre left parties, you should not be surprised so many flag up his complete failure to get a grip on this crisis.  To put it perspective if the totally inept and chaotic Trump administration had performed as badly as the U.K. per population size they would have 250,000 deaths.

Ah that old chestnut that if they changed the rules we might have won.

It's no good the left piling up votes in Islington and expecting to win.

You ought to concentrate on the majority of of the country that doesn't want anything to to with the marxist claptrap. To lose Great Grimsby is the ultimate humiliation.

Of course people will criticise the government as it comes with the territory.  Sadly for you the left wont be experiencing that for some considerable time.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Football Twit of the Week 🎖

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.