10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
April 24, 2020, 2:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

It's actually a good question despite it probably being a bit tongue in cheek. Often racism (as well as sexism, ageism etc) is based on the impact a word or phrase has on the recipient. As well as the intention of the 'abuser' in using the term.

Aussie is not a racist term as Australians describe themselves as Aussies, they call their country Aussie and it is a well used term that has no racist overtones to it. It could be construed as a racist term if you called someone a "f*cking Aussie c*nt" but that would depend on the recipient. The other factor with Australians is that a large proportion of them are white and the majority of racism in the UK is aimed at people of non-white origin.

Sociologically racism is based in most cases on a fear or ignorance of 'others' ie those that are different to the host group, a belief that the host group is somehow superior and a need to 'protect' the host group from intrusion from the 'others'. In modern times it also has a lot to do with a lack of education, intolerance and the scapegoating of 'other' groups for the ills within the host group.

You are right of course and I suggest the main reason why the term 'Pakistani' is so frowned upon now is that it was (is) so often accompanied by the word 'illegitimate' or such like

Now where do we stand with 'Eyetie'?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 92
AussieMariner
April 25, 2020, 5:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Ipswin

Presumably then we can't call them 'Aussies' any more?

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!

Think it was a chant created by the Aussies during the 2000 Olympics so I think you’ll be ok.

But then again, clearly you know the answer to that and are just be a clever twit by asking. Now where did I hear that just recently?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 92
Ipswin
April 25, 2020, 6:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from AussieMariner

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!

Think it was a chant created by the Aussies during the 2000 Olympics so I think you’ll be ok.

But then again, clearly you know the answer to that and are just be a clever twit by asking. Now where did I hear that just recently?

Not at all I merely wanted to ask why, whilst Pakistani and Jap, both shortened versions of the nationality / country's name are frowned upon, Aussie totally acceptable

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 92
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
April 25, 2020, 6:29pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
It seems the politically correct brigade strike again. As an aside to this I put a post on FB yesterday about Trump suggesting injecting disinfectant. All I did was call both him, and the Americans who will no doubt try it and die because of it, stupid.

Within 30 minutes I got a message from FB accusing me of hate speech!

I thought people were allowed to speak the truth? Obviously not!

Big brother is watching all of us
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 92
KingstonMariner
April 26, 2020, 9:11am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It seems the politically correct brigade strike again. As an aside to this I put a post on FB yesterday about Trump suggesting injecting disinfectant. All I did was call both him, and the Americans who will no doubt try it and die because of it, stupid.

Within 30 minutes I got a message from FB accusing me of hate speech!

I thought people were allowed to speak the truth? Obviously not!

Big brother is watching all of us

Yeah but exactly did you say? ‘The Americans’ means all Americans. Tarring 300 million people with the same brush. You do realise that FB is a private company that can decide not to publish something they don’t like and is an American company to boot?

A bit like writing to the Grim Tel and expecting them to publish a letter saying ‘the Grimbarians, who will no doubt allow their dogs to crap on the pavement and not clean it up’. Actually I take that back, because the GT would publish that now as click bait.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 92
lew chaterleys lover
April 26, 2020, 9:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Ipswin

Not at all I merely wanted to ask why, whilst Pakistani and Jap, both shortened versions of the nationality / country's name are frowned upon, Aussie totally acceptable

You raise some valid questions that the PC brigade will tie themselves into knots trying to answer.

A lot depends about when you were born and what was the correct interpretation at the time.

When I was younger it was frowned upon calling someone black. We were told to use a person of colour.  Now it's back to black - it's just fashion dictating what we can or cannot say.

If a person using a shortened name for a group of people does not mean it to be racist then it isn't. The recipient can find fault in anything you say if they want to.

I have seen people striving to say the right thing only to get it unfashionablely wrong and still get slated.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 92
ex-merseymariner
April 26, 2020, 10:18am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9

The other factor with Australians is that a large proportion of them are white and the majority of racism in the UK is aimed at people of non-white .

Wonder if aboriginal Australians see themselves as Aussies?

Not an expert on Australia as an example, but understand it is a nation with historically a lot of immigration from different parts of Europe, as evidenced in the surnames of many Australian international footballers, thinking Viduka, Bosnich, Schwarzer, Aloisi as examples.

Utmm

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 92
Grantham_Mariner
April 26, 2020, 10:54am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,195
Gold Stars: 51
The thing that gets me is a rapper can use the 'N' word and you can download it or even buy the CD (Flat shiny disc that can be used in a CD player to listen to it). But if you repeat it (sing rap along with it) you are breaking the law!

Someone please explain?

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 92
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 26, 2020, 11:29am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
The thing that gets me is a rapper can use the 'N' word and you can download it or even buy the CD (Flat shiny disc that can be used in a CD player to listen to it). But if you repeat it (sing rap along with it) you are breaking the law!

Someone please explain?

If you rap along with such a track it is not breaking the law. If you are stopped at a set of traffic lights and started shouting it out directly at someone black in a deliberately provocative manner then it is breaking the law and understandably so.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 92
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 26, 2020, 1:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Someone please explain?

You should try listening to some hip-hop. If you want to dip your toes into some softer stuff try The Roots, Jurassic 5, The Pharcyde or Jay Electronica. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Elliott Whitehouse

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.