Paris Mariner
October 11, 2017, 9:51am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from RichMariner
Glad that he got off the mark today - think we might see a bit more from him in the coming weeks and months now.

I must admit, while his talent has never been in doubt, I was just starting to wonder about his lack of end product. His trickery and skill on the ball has always impressed, but he'd yet to dictate play or take control of a game.

He's still young though - I'm absolutely certain he'll only get better.

Couldn't agree more. When he hit the post against Col U I was gutted for him because I thought it might have boosted his confidence no end. Hopefully this goal will have that effect. I agree about him needing to know when to release the ball too. I will hopefully give him the confidence to take a shot on when he can now rather than an extra touch.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 69
oldun
October 11, 2017, 11:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Hard not to speculate about his future, but for now let's enjoy watching his skills light up what can often be a dull affair in league 2. Worth the admission fee and he plays with a smile on his face. He is a rare talent hope we enjoy him for as long as possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 69
mimma
October 11, 2017, 12:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
It reminds me of John Oster when he got in the first team at a young age.  He also had brilliant ball skills and could make seasoned professionals look idiots.

He was going to stay at Town to learn for a season or two but Everton saw his talent and he was gone after a handful of games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 69
Tommy
October 11, 2017, 12:40pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from ginnywings
When he produces end product consistently, that's when the bigger clubs will come knocking. Right now, he's just a prospect. We also have no idea about his contract situation and how much he earns. He may not want to sign an extended deal for all we know.

That'd be what you'd expect ginny, but there's always a club with enough money to be able to take a gamble on a player like this in case they can show that vital ingredient further down the line.

If there's a Championship/League1 club able to afford such a luxury, they'll take a punt on him early, because

a) they'll get him for less £££ before he's reached the level of producing consistently, and

b) they might be able to actually get him before he reaches a level where bigger clubs than them would be in for him.

We'll see. He seems a good kid and prepared to work hard so good luck to him, and let's hope we can develop him as much as possible while he's here.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 69
Garth
October 11, 2017, 12:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from chaos33

Again, massive overstatement. 'He could play in the championship now'. 'Could go on to play in the premier league'. 'He is way too good for us'......

I repeat, he has scored 1 goal in a dozen games in L2. Couple of assists maybe. I get the general enthusiasm about him - he looks really impressive on the eye when you watch him - great touch, quick feet, works hard, can pass and dribble, but he's got loads and loads of things to learn, and will need to produce much, much more, and much more often if those statements above are to have any real credibility. You have to 'earn the right'. Relatively speaking, Dembele has done nothing yet.

Good Grief! do you go to matches or are you just blind
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 69
Maringer
October 11, 2017, 2:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Garth

One goal and just a few chances created in a dozen starts with (according to the GTFC stats) just 3 shots on target during this period! Danny Collins, a central defender, has scored twice as many goals and had more efforts on target this season.

That's the point. It doesn't matter if you can dribble past a couple of players if you don't make a chance or score a goal at the end of it. He's got the ability to be a very dangerous player, but he's yet to apply it consistently and that's what any manager looking at him will consider. The idea that teams will be queueing up to sign a player with such a modest record at present is just silly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 69
KingstonMariner
October 11, 2017, 3:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
When I remember the reason why I like football in the first place (the very first place, not all the accumulation of social reasons that keep me going when it's deadly dull) I'm less bothered by whether Dembele has the 'end product' on a consistent basis. Or whether we'll keep him or make pots of money off him. Yes all that would be good. But for now he's good to watch.

Enjoy! 😃

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 69
Rick12
October 11, 2017, 5:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Maringer

Sestanovich had bags of ability allied to pace and power.

It takes a lot more than ability to make a successful professional footballer.

Not that I'm in any way equating Dembele's attitude to that of Sestanovich, of course!
I agree the mental side is more important

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 69
arryarryarry
October 11, 2017, 7:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
With a player with the skills of Dembele you have to give him as much of the ball as possible, he was the outstanding player for us on Saturday yet I think it was 20 minutes before he had a decent pass.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 69
chaos33
October 11, 2017, 8:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Garth

No, I'm not blind. What you've done is isolate a relative phrase and then take it out of context. Don't be silly. We have all seen how impressive he is and what skill and potential he possesses. That is implicit in the overall post. The point is - take a look at the L2 leading scorers and assisters stats.....is he on there? No. Is he almost on there? No. Until his blatantly obvious talent translates into goals and assists, he's just a work in progress and some way behind other players in league two who are producing both, week in week out.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dembele

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.