6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
September 9, 2017, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I've got a little theory about managerial appointments in the JF era.

All of them, Newell apart, have previously been at the club as players or managers, been given their first job in management or non league managers taking a step up.

Never does he step outside of his comfort zone. Appointments made when he knew he'd be the big dog at the club and not be challenged.

Well, JF needs to be challenged and the zone where he has been comfortable in for so many years has been nowhere near good enough to create a progressive football club.

From managerial appointments right down to the crappy hotdogs served up to the fans, he has not been good enough. He runs it like a food firm. All about margins and keeping the costs down. It's a downward spiral of cost cutting and never about speculate to accumulate. He hasn't got a clue how to create any excitement at all. It's not in his DNA and his DNA has spread all over our club.

GTFC has some great loyal fans who still go to games and has lost some great not so loyal fans over the JF era too. They won't be back while he's there because the club won't change. Fans are there to be tempted to go to games, not harangued, chastised and being honest, downright criticised. (Or red crossed in the middle of the night)

GTFC has been moulded in JF's own mind's eye over the years and from the outside it look's terrible. Just terrible. I ask you, what has he actually done in the past fifteen years except enjoying the trappings of being a chairman? It's amounting to sod all isn't it?

So going back to Evans v Slade.. obviously it's Evans every time. But we'll never get a manager like him because JF wouldn't be the big dog in the room and would be well outside his comfort zone, however excited the fans would be.

Slade's signed these players, it's up to him to scrape fifty points from somewhere. If we get a new manager in, he'd still have to work with the dross he's signed and JF hasn't got any money to further invest to get us out of the shite we're in.

Fenty out? Yes, but not now, the sooner the better though. His job should be from this minute to go out and find the right benefactor to buy him out and invest. Big job, but it has to be done. If not, his proposed legacy, Peaks Parkway, could become as big a white elephant as the one up the A1 in Darlington. I couldn't ever imagine the new stadium would be that impressive with a JF blueprint anyway. A place devoid of vision or flair with an emphasis on getting things done on the cheap.

One of JF's statements (excuses) stood out for me a couple of years back. "Dover have got a bigger budget than us." I didn't believe it but even if it was true, I thought, how the hell can you stand there and say that? If you believe Dover has a bigger budget than us, it's your job to make sure they haven't. It's you who's failing. Dover FFS!!!

So John, do the honorable thing. Go forth and find us our new messiah. Because John, sadly it's just not ever going to be you..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2017, 6:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog

All of them, Newell apart, have previously been at the club as players or managers, been given their first job in management or non league managers taking a step up.

Never does he step outside of his comfort zone. Appointments made when he knew he'd be the big dog at the club and not be challenged.

Well, JF needs to be challenged and the zone where he has been comfortable in for so many years has been nowhere near good enough to create a progressive football club.

From managerial appointments right down to the crappy hotdogs served up to the fans, he has not been good enough. He runs it like a food firm. All about margins and keeping the costs down. It's a downward spiral of cost cutting and never about speculate to accumulate. He hasn't got a clue how to create any excitement at all. It's not in his DNA and his DNA has spread all over our club.

GTFC has some great loyal fans who still go to games and has lost some great not so loyal fans over the JF era too. They won't be back while he's there because the club won't change. Fans are there to be tempted to go to games, not harangued, chastised and being honest, downright criticised. (Or red crossed in the middle of the night)

GTFC has been moulded in JF's own eye over the years and from the outside it look's terrible. Just terrible. I ask you, what has he actually done in the past fifteen years except accept the trappings of being a chairman? It's amounting to sod all isn't it?

So going back to Evans v Slade.. obviously it's Evans every time. But we'll never get a manager like him because JF wouldn't be the big dog in the room and would be well outside his comfort zone, however excited the fans would be.

Slade's signed these players, it's up to him to scrape fifty points from somewhere. If we get a new manager in, he'd still have to work with the dross he's signed and JF hasn't got any money to further invest to get us out of the shite we're in.

Fenty out? Yes, but not now, the sooner the better though. His job should be from this minute to go out and find the right benefactor to buy him out and invest. Big job, but it has to be done. If not his proposed legacy, Peaks Parkway, could become as big a white elephant as the one up the A1 in Darlington. I couldn't ever imagine the new stadium would be that impressive with a JF blueprint anyway. A place devoid of vision or flair with an emphasis on getting things done on the cheap.

One of JF's statements (excuses) stood out for me a couple of years back. "Dover have got a bigger budget than us." I didn't believe it but even if it was true, I thought, how the hell can you stand there and say that? If you believe Dover has a bigger budget than us, it's your job to make sure we haven't. It's you who's failing. Dover FFS!!!

So John, do the honorable thing. Go forth and find us our new messiah. Because John, sadly it's just not ever going to be you..

So two things regarding someone else taking the hot seat "who and how"? " Benefactors are few and far between I'm afraid usually when someone takes over a club they want a ROI. Don't disagree we need change but  in reality how likely is it to happen?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
ginnywings
September 9, 2017, 6:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Evans was available when we recruited Bignot. Never thought he would drop to League 2 at the time but Mansfield gave him what he wanted.

Was Bignot sacked for stealing the limelight?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
Bigdog
September 9, 2017, 6:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So two things regarding someone else taking the hot seat "who and how"? " Benefactors are few and far between I'm afraid usually when someone takes over a club they want a ROI. Don't disagree we need change but  in reality how likely is it to happen?

People who are rich enough to buy large yachts don't look for a return on investment. They like cruising on the open seas. Someone who wants to own a football club and not buy it as a business opportunity fits the profile. Long shot I know, but we're nearly in last chance saloon.

1 Secure planning permission for new stadium
2 Put club up for sale
3 Outline proposed growth in fan base and reasonable target league position from where we are now, show the potential with the right investment
4 Showcase what's good about the club, the fans, OP, away support, fish and chips, mariachi, Aalst and all that
5 The idea of being a hero to a place down on its luck can be attractive to people who have got all the material goods they'd ever need
6 Show the history of the club spending majority of its time in the top two tiers of the league

No one comes forward, we've lost nothing and still may lose everything. Someone comes forward, we've got everything to gain as we're going nowhere fast..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
Mrs Doyle
September 9, 2017, 7:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Evans was always to high maintenance for Fenty we're stuck with  Russell Trotter and shopping in Wilco's bargain basement store.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
lew chaterleys lover
September 9, 2017, 7:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bigdog

GTFC has been moulded in JF's own eye over the years and from the outside it look's terrible. Just terrible. I ask you, what has he actually done in the past fifteen years except accept the trappings of being a chairman? It's amounting to sod all isn't it?

Fenty out? Yes, but not now, the sooner the better though. His job should be from this minute to go out and find the right benefactor to buy him out and invest. Big job, but it has to be done. If not, his proposed legacy, Peaks Parkway, could become as big a white elephant as the one up the A1 in Darlington. I couldn't ever imagine the new stadium would be that impressive with a JF blueprint anyway. A place devoid of vision or flair with an emphasis on getting things done on the cheap.

One of JF's statements (excuses) stood out for me a couple of years back. "Dover have got a bigger budget than us." I didn't believe it but even if it was true, I thought, how the hell can you stand there and say that? If you believe Dover has a bigger budget than us, it's your job to make sure we haven't. It's you who's failing. Dover FFS!!!

I have to say that is about as near to my own feelings about John Fenty without writing it myself.

As you say he should be working night and day to get new investment for the good of the club. He cannot forever dine out on the fact he at one time put money into the club when no one else would. I think it is about time the supporters started to put the pressure on him rather than each manager as they come and go.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
Jaws
September 9, 2017, 7:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11

I have to say that is about as near to my own feelings about John Fenty without writing it myself.

As you say he should be working night and day to get new investment for the good of the club. He cannot forever dine out on the fact he at one time put money into the club when no one else would. I think it is about time the supporters started to put the pressure on him rather than each manager as they come and go.

But ITV digital....
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
Mallyner
September 9, 2017, 8:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings
Evans was available when we recruited Bignot. Never thought he would drop to League 2 at the time but Mansfield gave him what he wanted.

Was Bignot sacked for stealing the limelight?

perhaps Fenty thought we didn't like Steve Evans.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
grimsby pete
September 9, 2017, 8:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
It would be nice if getyourfactsright came back on here and told us what he is trying to do,

He was quick enough before when he posted at 6-15 am when we was away to Dover,

Well John I will not be putting a poll on to see if we want Slade for next season,

BUT

I might put one on asking if we want you next season,

I think we all know what the answer will be though.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 9, 2017, 8:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Mallyner

perhaps Fenty thought we didn't like Steve Evans.

I don't particularly like him however for the good of my beloved club I'd have took him as manager in a instant  WHY cos he would have got us promoted probably even working on a fenty shoestring.  I'd be shocked if Mansfield aren't minimum top 7 whereas we will be scrapping for 50 points
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Evans versus slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.