Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Evans versus slade
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 283 Guests

Evans versus slade

This thread currently has 7,120 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
September 9, 2017, 8:55pm
Guest User
Slade = a football journeyman in the world of management and coaching. A journeyman with no record of success
Reply: 20 - 50
LH
September 9, 2017, 10:15pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,456
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from grimsby pete
It would be nice if getyourfactsright came back on here and told us what he is trying to do,

I'd happily settle for him realising that you won't get rich owning a football club and accepting he's lost the money he's loaned to the club and flipping off at the first legitimate, realistic buy out opportunity rather than have him come on here calling people in for a chat and spinning us a load of stories about 'how it really was' to be fair, Pete.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
Badger57
September 9, 2017, 10:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,894
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Bigdog
I've got a little theory about managerial appointments in the JF era.

All of them, Newell apart, have previously been at the club as players or managers, been given their first job in management or non league managers taking a step up.

Never does he step outside of his comfort zone. Appointments made when he knew he'd be the big dog at the club and not be challenged.

Well, JF needs to be challenged and the zone where he has been comfortable in for so many years has been nowhere near good enough to create a progressive football club.

From managerial appointments right down to the crappy hotdogs served up to the fans, he has not been good enough. He runs it like a food firm. All about margins and keeping the costs down. It's a downward spiral of cost cutting and never about speculate to accumulate. He hasn't got a clue how to create any excitement at all. It's not in his DNA and his DNA has spread all over our club.

GTFC has some great loyal fans who still go to games and has lost some great not so loyal fans over the JF era too. They won't be back while he's there because the club won't change. Fans are there to be tempted to go to games, not harangued, chastised and being honest, downright criticised. (Or red crossed in the middle of the night)

GTFC has been moulded in JF's own mind's eye over the years and from the outside it look's terrible. Just terrible. I ask you, what has he actually done in the past fifteen years except enjoying the trappings of being a chairman? It's amounting to sod all isn't it?

So going back to Evans v Slade.. obviously it's Evans every time. But we'll never get a manager like him because JF wouldn't be the big dog in the room and would be well outside his comfort zone, however excited the fans would be.

Slade's signed these players, it's up to him to scrape fifty points from somewhere. If we get a new manager in, he'd still have to work with the dross he's signed and JF hasn't got any money to further invest to get us out of the shite we're in.

Fenty out? Yes, but not now, the sooner the better though. His job should be from this minute to go out and find the right benefactor to buy him out and invest. Big job, but it has to be done. If not, his proposed legacy, Peaks Parkway, could become as big a white elephant as the one up the A1 in Darlington. I couldn't ever imagine the new stadium would be that impressive with a JF blueprint anyway. A place devoid of vision or flair with an emphasis on getting things done on the cheap.

One of JF's statements (excuses) stood out for me a couple of years back. "Dover have got a bigger budget than us." I didn't believe it but even if it was true, I thought, how the hell can you stand there and say that? If you believe Dover has a bigger budget than us, it's your job to make sure they haven't. It's you who's failing. Dover FFS!!!

So John, do the honorable thing. Go forth and find us our new messiah. Because John, sadly it's just not ever going to be you..

Post of the year!
Hope you're listening Mr. Get your facts  right!" PAH!
Most of us I believe have had enough of your disastrous tenure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2017, 10:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
When Evans has had success he's had big budgets. And no, giving ManU a tough game in a Cup game is not evidence of genius - every dog has his day, and on that particular day ManU were not on their game.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
Maringer
September 9, 2017, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I don't particularly like him however for the good of my beloved club I'd have took him as manager in a instant  WHY cos he would have got us promoted probably even working on a fenty shoestring.  I'd be shocked if Mansfield aren't minimum top 7 whereas we will be scrapping for 50 points

If Mansfield have spent the amount of money their signings would indicate, being merely top 7 would be a terrible failure for Evans. They should coast to promotion. He's a very capable manager but, given his history with us over the years, it would have taken a ridiculous amount of money to get him here - probably the same sort of ridiculous amounts he's earning at Mansfield.

No fan of Fenty or his choices but it seems it is easy for some fans to spend his money, perhaps even in amounts he doesn't actually have available.

No idea how well funded Slade has or hasn't been this season, but the sheer number of players on our books indicates there is a certain amount of money going in.

Despite the poor start to the season, it's mere hysteria that is leading some to assume we'll be in a relegation battle. Let's give it ten games at least before we start to worry too much. 120 points to play for.

That said, we've got to stop shipping so many soft goals. At least we've managed to keep eleven players on the pitch in the past couple of games!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
GrimRob
September 9, 2017, 11:01pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
We've spent a lot of money on players in the last 12 months. But we need to get the right players, who want to be here, wear our shirt, and play for whoever is the manager. There are no shortage of players who will take the wages on offer here, whether they are any good or right for the club is a different matter. The team that got us promoted was a team, you sensed that unity and togetherness. It seems to have gradually dissipated in the intervening months, and now we have a team of contractors getting paid to do a job.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 50
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2017, 11:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from GrimRob
We've spent a lot of money on players in the last 12 months. But we need to get the right players, who want to be here, wear our shirt, and play for whoever is the manager. There are no shortage of players who will take the wages on offer here, whether they are any good or right for the club is a different matter. The team that got us promoted was a team, you sensed that unity and togetherness. It seems to have gradually dissipated in the intervening months, and now we have a team of contractors getting paid to do a job.

Exactly!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 10, 2017, 8:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
[quote=43]

If Mansfield have spent the amount of money their signings would indicate, being merely top 7 would be a terrible failure for Evans. They should coast to promotion.  They will get promoted with him imo

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 10, 2017, 9:02am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
When Evans has had success he's had big budgets. And no, giving ManU a tough game in a Cup game is not evidence of genius - every dog has his day, and on that particular day ManU were not on their game.

So Boston and Stamford were flukes then ? Regarding Crawley yeah he did clearly have money but you've still got to spend it wisely and by the end of the season when Crawley won the title they were playing easily league 1 level football.  Like most on here I don't like him however his record in football management is decent like it or not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 10, 2017, 9:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I bet they've spent at least double what we have this season. The difference between them and us is in the ambition of the those in the boardroom.

Big dogs post is very good but this is as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Evans versus slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.