6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
September 9, 2017, 4:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
One builds teams and more often than not achieves promotion  .. the other talks a good game but always achieves nowt
Fenty out
Slade out

Logged Offline
Private Message
sonofmadeleymariner
September 9, 2017, 4:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Yeah but the one who builds teams has always had major normally top3 budgets to achieve promotion

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 9, 2017, 4:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Yeah but the one who builds teams has always had major normally top3 budgets to achieve promotion

Yeah he had massive budgets at Stamford and Boston both won their respective leagues , even Leeds fans say under difficult circumstances he did a good job.  As for Crawley yeah he had a big budget but they more than matched Man U in a cup game for long periods and In the league played great stuff , with or without  £ he does good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 50
Perkins
September 9, 2017, 4:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Evans versus Slade = fat objectionable manager who knows his tactics versus bald manager who doesn't.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 50
Swansea_Mariner
September 9, 2017, 4:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Come on as objectionable as he is most us us would swapsie right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 50
Madeleymariner
September 9, 2017, 4:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Yes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 50
Perkins
September 9, 2017, 4:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I'm not arguing with that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 50
grimsby pete
September 9, 2017, 5:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
One builds teams and more often than not achieves promotion  .. the other talks a good game but always achieves nowt
Fenty out
Slade out

Evans  in  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 50
headingly_mariner
September 9, 2017, 5:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
I bet they've spent at least double what we have this season. The difference between them and us is in the ambition of the those in the boardroom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 50
Grimal
September 9, 2017, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Perkins
Evans versus Slade = fat objectionable manager who knows his tactics versus bald manager who doesn't.

I don't mind fat and objectionable.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 50
Bigdog
September 9, 2017, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I've got a little theory about managerial appointments in the JF era.

All of them, Newell apart, have previously been at the club as players or managers, been given their first job in management or non league managers taking a step up.

Never does he step outside of his comfort zone. Appointments made when he knew he'd be the big dog at the club and not be challenged.

Well, JF needs to be challenged and the zone where he has been comfortable in for so many years has been nowhere near good enough to create a progressive football club.

From managerial appointments right down to the crappy hotdogs served up to the fans, he has not been good enough. He runs it like a food firm. All about margins and keeping the costs down. It's a downward spiral of cost cutting and never about speculate to accumulate. He hasn't got a clue how to create any excitement at all. It's not in his DNA and his DNA has spread all over our club.

GTFC has some great loyal fans who still go to games and has lost some great not so loyal fans over the JF era too. They won't be back while he's there because the club won't change. Fans are there to be tempted to go to games, not harangued, chastised and being honest, downright criticised. (Or red crossed in the middle of the night)

GTFC has been moulded in JF's own mind's eye over the years and from the outside it look's terrible. Just terrible. I ask you, what has he actually done in the past fifteen years except enjoying the trappings of being a chairman? It's amounting to sod all isn't it?

So going back to Evans v Slade.. obviously it's Evans every time. But we'll never get a manager like him because JF wouldn't be the big dog in the room and would be well outside his comfort zone, however excited the fans would be.

Slade's signed these players, it's up to him to scrape fifty points from somewhere. If we get a new manager in, he'd still have to work with the dross he's signed and JF hasn't got any money to further invest to get us out of the shite we're in.

Fenty out? Yes, but not now, the sooner the better though. His job should be from this minute to go out and find the right benefactor to buy him out and invest. Big job, but it has to be done. If not, his proposed legacy, Peaks Parkway, could become as big a white elephant as the one up the A1 in Darlington. I couldn't ever imagine the new stadium would be that impressive with a JF blueprint anyway. A place devoid of vision or flair with an emphasis on getting things done on the cheap.

One of JF's statements (excuses) stood out for me a couple of years back. "Dover have got a bigger budget than us." I didn't believe it but even if it was true, I thought, how the hell can you stand there and say that? If you believe Dover has a bigger budget than us, it's your job to make sure they haven't. It's you who's failing. Dover FFS!!!

So John, do the honorable thing. Go forth and find us our new messiah. Because John, sadly it's just not ever going to be you..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2017, 6:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,646
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Bigdog

All of them, Newell apart, have previously been at the club as players or managers, been given their first job in management or non league managers taking a step up.

Never does he step outside of his comfort zone. Appointments made when he knew he'd be the big dog at the club and not be challenged.

Well, JF needs to be challenged and the zone where he has been comfortable in for so many years has been nowhere near good enough to create a progressive football club.

From managerial appointments right down to the crappy hotdogs served up to the fans, he has not been good enough. He runs it like a food firm. All about margins and keeping the costs down. It's a downward spiral of cost cutting and never about speculate to accumulate. He hasn't got a clue how to create any excitement at all. It's not in his DNA and his DNA has spread all over our club.

GTFC has some great loyal fans who still go to games and has lost some great not so loyal fans over the JF era too. They won't be back while he's there because the club won't change. Fans are there to be tempted to go to games, not harangued, chastised and being honest, downright criticised. (Or red crossed in the middle of the night)

GTFC has been moulded in JF's own eye over the years and from the outside it look's terrible. Just terrible. I ask you, what has he actually done in the past fifteen years except accept the trappings of being a chairman? It's amounting to sod all isn't it?

So going back to Evans v Slade.. obviously it's Evans every time. But we'll never get a manager like him because JF wouldn't be the big dog in the room and would be well outside his comfort zone, however excited the fans would be.

Slade's signed these players, it's up to him to scrape fifty points from somewhere. If we get a new manager in, he'd still have to work with the dross he's signed and JF hasn't got any money to further invest to get us out of the shite we're in.

Fenty out? Yes, but not now, the sooner the better though. His job should be from this minute to go out and find the right benefactor to buy him out and invest. Big job, but it has to be done. If not his proposed legacy, Peaks Parkway, could become as big a white elephant as the one up the A1 in Darlington. I couldn't ever imagine the new stadium would be that impressive with a JF blueprint anyway. A place devoid of vision or flair with an emphasis on getting things done on the cheap.

One of JF's statements (excuses) stood out for me a couple of years back. "Dover have got a bigger budget than us." I didn't believe it but even if it was true, I thought, how the hell can you stand there and say that? If you believe Dover has a bigger budget than us, it's your job to make sure we haven't. It's you who's failing. Dover FFS!!!

So John, do the honorable thing. Go forth and find us our new messiah. Because John, sadly it's just not ever going to be you..

So two things regarding someone else taking the hot seat "who and how"? " Benefactors are few and far between I'm afraid usually when someone takes over a club they want a ROI. Don't disagree we need change but  in reality how likely is it to happen?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
ginnywings
September 9, 2017, 6:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Evans was available when we recruited Bignot. Never thought he would drop to League 2 at the time but Mansfield gave him what he wanted.

Was Bignot sacked for stealing the limelight?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
Bigdog
September 9, 2017, 6:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So two things regarding someone else taking the hot seat "who and how"? " Benefactors are few and far between I'm afraid usually when someone takes over a club they want a ROI. Don't disagree we need change but  in reality how likely is it to happen?

People who are rich enough to buy large yachts don't look for a return on investment. They like cruising on the open seas. Someone who wants to own a football club and not buy it as a business opportunity fits the profile. Long shot I know, but we're nearly in last chance saloon.

1 Secure planning permission for new stadium
2 Put club up for sale
3 Outline proposed growth in fan base and reasonable target league position from where we are now, show the potential with the right investment
4 Showcase what's good about the club, the fans, OP, away support, fish and chips, mariachi, Aalst and all that
5 The idea of being a hero to a place down on its luck can be attractive to people who have got all the material goods they'd ever need
6 Show the history of the club spending majority of its time in the top two tiers of the league

No one comes forward, we've lost nothing and still may lose everything. Someone comes forward, we've got everything to gain as we're going nowhere fast..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
Mrs Doyle
September 9, 2017, 7:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Evans was always to high maintenance for Fenty we're stuck with  Russell Trotter and shopping in Wilco's bargain basement store.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
lew chaterleys lover
September 9, 2017, 7:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Bigdog

GTFC has been moulded in JF's own eye over the years and from the outside it look's terrible. Just terrible. I ask you, what has he actually done in the past fifteen years except accept the trappings of being a chairman? It's amounting to sod all isn't it?

Fenty out? Yes, but not now, the sooner the better though. His job should be from this minute to go out and find the right benefactor to buy him out and invest. Big job, but it has to be done. If not, his proposed legacy, Peaks Parkway, could become as big a white elephant as the one up the A1 in Darlington. I couldn't ever imagine the new stadium would be that impressive with a JF blueprint anyway. A place devoid of vision or flair with an emphasis on getting things done on the cheap.

One of JF's statements (excuses) stood out for me a couple of years back. "Dover have got a bigger budget than us." I didn't believe it but even if it was true, I thought, how the hell can you stand there and say that? If you believe Dover has a bigger budget than us, it's your job to make sure we haven't. It's you who's failing. Dover FFS!!!

I have to say that is about as near to my own feelings about John Fenty without writing it myself.

As you say he should be working night and day to get new investment for the good of the club. He cannot forever dine out on the fact he at one time put money into the club when no one else would. I think it is about time the supporters started to put the pressure on him rather than each manager as they come and go.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
Jaws
September 9, 2017, 7:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11

I have to say that is about as near to my own feelings about John Fenty without writing it myself.

As you say he should be working night and day to get new investment for the good of the club. He cannot forever dine out on the fact he at one time put money into the club when no one else would. I think it is about time the supporters started to put the pressure on him rather than each manager as they come and go.

But ITV digital....
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
Mallyner
September 9, 2017, 8:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from ginnywings
Evans was available when we recruited Bignot. Never thought he would drop to League 2 at the time but Mansfield gave him what he wanted.

Was Bignot sacked for stealing the limelight?

perhaps Fenty thought we didn't like Steve Evans.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
grimsby pete
September 9, 2017, 8:23pm

Exile
It would be nice if getyourfactsright came back on here and told us what he is trying to do,

He was quick enough before when he posted at 6-15 am when we was away to Dover,

Well John I will not be putting a poll on to see if we want Slade for next season,

BUT

I might put one on asking if we want you next season,

I think we all know what the answer will be though.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 9, 2017, 8:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mallyner

perhaps Fenty thought we didn't like Steve Evans.

I don't particularly like him however for the good of my beloved club I'd have took him as manager in a instant  WHY cos he would have got us promoted probably even working on a fenty shoestring.  I'd be shocked if Mansfield aren't minimum top 7 whereas we will be scrapping for 50 points
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
September 9, 2017, 8:55pm
Guest User
Slade = a football journeyman in the world of management and coaching. A journeyman with no record of success
Reply: 20 - 50
LH
September 9, 2017, 10:15pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from grimsby pete
It would be nice if getyourfactsright came back on here and told us what he is trying to do,

I'd happily settle for him realising that you won't get rich owning a football club and accepting he's lost the money he's loaned to the club and flipping off at the first legitimate, realistic buy out opportunity rather than have him come on here calling people in for a chat and spinning us a load of stories about 'how it really was' to be fair, Pete.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
Badger57
September 9, 2017, 10:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,902
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Bigdog

GTFC has been moulded in JF's own mind's eye over the years and from the outside it look's terrible. Just terrible. I ask you, what has he actually done in the past fifteen years except enjoying the trappings of being a chairman? It's amounting to sod all isn't it?

One of JF's statements (excuses) stood out for me a couple of years back. "Dover have got a bigger budget than us." I didn't believe it but even if it was true, I thought, how the hell can you stand there and say that? If you believe Dover has a bigger budget than us, it's your job to make sure they haven't. It's you who's failing. Dover FFS!!!

Post of the year!
Hope you're listening Mr. Get your facts  right!" PAH!
Most of us I believe have had enough of your disastrous tenure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2017, 10:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
When Evans has had success he's had big budgets. And no, giving ManU a tough game in a Cup game is not evidence of genius - every dog has his day, and on that particular day ManU were not on their game.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
Maringer
September 9, 2017, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180

I don't particularly like him however for the good of my beloved club I'd have took him as manager in a instant  WHY cos he would have got us promoted probably even working on a fenty shoestring.  I'd be shocked if Mansfield aren't minimum top 7 whereas we will be scrapping for 50 points

If Mansfield have spent the amount of money their signings would indicate, being merely top 7 would be a terrible failure for Evans. They should coast to promotion. He's a very capable manager but, given his history with us over the years, it would have taken a ridiculous amount of money to get him here - probably the same sort of ridiculous amounts he's earning at Mansfield.

No fan of Fenty or his choices but it seems it is easy for some fans to spend his money, perhaps even in amounts he doesn't actually have available.

No idea how well funded Slade has or hasn't been this season, but the sheer number of players on our books indicates there is a certain amount of money going in.

Despite the poor start to the season, it's mere hysteria that is leading some to assume we'll be in a relegation battle. Let's give it ten games at least before we start to worry too much. 120 points to play for.

That said, we've got to stop shipping so many soft goals. At least we've managed to keep eleven players on the pitch in the past couple of games!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
GrimRob
September 9, 2017, 11:01pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
We've spent a lot of money on players in the last 12 months. But we need to get the right players, who want to be here, wear our shirt, and play for whoever is the manager. There are no shortage of players who will take the wages on offer here, whether they are any good or right for the club is a different matter. The team that got us promoted was a team, you sensed that unity and togetherness. It seems to have gradually dissipated in the intervening months, and now we have a team of contractors getting paid to do a job.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 50
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2017, 11:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
We've spent a lot of money on players in the last 12 months. But we need to get the right players, who want to be here, wear our shirt, and play for whoever is the manager. There are no shortage of players who will take the wages on offer here, whether they are any good or right for the club is a different matter. The team that got us promoted was a team, you sensed that unity and togetherness. It seems to have gradually dissipated in the intervening months, and now we have a team of contractors getting paid to do a job.

Exactly!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 10, 2017, 8:57am
Special Brew Drinker
[quote=43]

If Mansfield have spent the amount of money their signings would indicate, being merely top 7 would be a terrible failure for Evans. They should coast to promotion.  They will get promoted with him imo

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 10, 2017, 9:02am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
When Evans has had success he's had big budgets. And no, giving ManU a tough game in a Cup game is not evidence of genius - every dog has his day, and on that particular day ManU were not on their game.

So Boston and Stamford were flukes then ? Regarding Crawley yeah he did clearly have money but you've still got to spend it wisely and by the end of the season when Crawley won the title they were playing easily league 1 level football.  Like most on here I don't like him however his record in football management is decent like it or not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 10, 2017, 9:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I bet they've spent at least double what we have this season. The difference between them and us is in the ambition of the those in the boardroom.

Big dogs post is very good but this is as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
mariner91
September 10, 2017, 9:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,252
Gold Stars: 253

So Boston and Stamford were flukes then ? Regarding Crawley yeah he did clearly have money but you've still got to spend it wisely and by the end of the season when Crawley won the title they were playing easily league 1 level football.  Like most on here I don't like him however his record in football management is decent like it or not

You realise all of his achievements at Boston were underpinned by the contract irregularities that got him banned from football management? One player, Ken Charlery, was officially on £200 but was being paid well over £1000 a week. Steve Evans is synonymous with brown envelopes and his time at Boston is the reason why. I'm not for a second saying he isn't a good manager, he is. But using his time at Boston as an example of why he's a good manager or that he doesn't need big budgets is not a good argument.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 50
MuddyWaters
September 10, 2017, 10:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Evans was always to high maintenance for Fenty we're stuck with  Russell Trotter and shopping in Wilco's bargain basement store.

Wilko have effectively funded Scunny, I would say we're more B& M
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
Wrawby_Mariner
September 10, 2017, 11:00am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Wilko have effectively funded Scunny, I would say we're more B& M

Not true. Wilko's is his wifes family business and she has since sold her share to another member of the family. Swann's money comes from his own business interests.

In regards the funding we receive, we have what we have and cut our cloth accordingly. One thing I will say about Mr Fenty, is that he has never financially put GTFC in any danfer.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 32 - 50
MuddyWaters
September 10, 2017, 11:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

Not true. Wilko's is his wifes family business and she has since sold her share to another member of the family. Swann's money comes from his own business interests.

In regards the funding we receive, we have what we have and cut our cloth accordingly. One thing I will say about Mr Fenty, is that he has never financially put GTFC in any danfer.

Swanns money comes from his wife. In addition, they spend several million a year on horses.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
Bigdog
September 10, 2017, 11:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

In regards the funding we receive, we have what we have and cut our cloth accordingly. One thing I will say about Mr Fenty, is that he has never financially put GTFC in any danger.

Really? Alarm bells of apathy ringing everywhere and falling interest on every level resulting in lower income streams, plus nil inward investment for years upon years and lack of a decent product on the pitch for what seems like forever for its paying customers, and you don't think we're in any danger? We cut our cloth accordingly and that cloth belongs to one man and it's becoming extremely threadbare. We need a new cloth (or cloths) to cut from.

The club being run by JF is never going to crash spectacularly. More like a death of a thousand cuts and we're nine hundred odd cuts in..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 10, 2017, 11:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

You realise all of his achievements at Boston were underpinned by the contract irregularities that got him banned from football management? One player, Ken Charlery, was officially on £200 but was being paid well over £1000 a week. Steve Evans is synonymous with brown envelopes and his time at Boston is the reason why. I'm not for a second saying he isn't a good manager, he is. But using his time at Boston as an example of why he's a good manager or that he doesn't need big budgets is not a good argument.

Behave ffs ...brown envelopes in football are rife in football, I know 2 managers one local one south Lincs area in semi pro football who would blow your argument to bits. Regardless of money you still have to build a team plenty fail at this with money.  Football is a ruthless business where money talks an example , a 8 year old from Lincoln going on a sheffield clubs books but in reality he's going to a Manchester club when he's older , work that out ??
Don't tell me the postman at Stamford was sick of the heavy bag being delivered to Evans full of cash  when he won the title with them .I rate him and all his promotion s you don't no probs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
HertsGTFC
September 10, 2017, 11:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Really? Alarm bells of apathy ringing everywhere and falling interest on every level resulting in lower income streams, plus nil inward investment for years upon years and lack of a decent product on the pitch for what seems like forever for its paying customers, and you don't think we're in any danger? We cut our cloth accordingly and that cloth belongs to one man and it's becoming extremely threadbare. We need a new cloth (or cloths) to cut from.

The club being run by JF is never going to crash spectacularly. More like a death of a thousand cuts and we're nine hundred odd cuts in..

If you are a potential investor what would you be actually investing in. What are the assets and what is the potential?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
mariner91
September 10, 2017, 12:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,252
Gold Stars: 253

Behave ffs ...brown envelopes in football are rife in football, I know 2 managers one local one south Lincs area in semi pro football who would blow your argument to bits. Regardless of money you still have to build a team plenty fail at this with money.  Football is a ruthless business where money talks an example , a 8 year old from Lincoln going on a sheffield clubs books but in reality he's going to a Manchester club when he's older , work that out ??
Don't tell me the postman at Stamford was sick of the heavy bag being delivered to Evans full of cash  when he won the title with them .I rate him and all his promotion s you don't no probs

It would help if you actually read the post you're arguing against, I never said I don't rate him. Brown envelopes may be rife in football but not many managers get banned for almost 2 years for their off-field actions so that suggests he was probably worse at that than most.

As for needing money, yes he's had plenty of success and done well. Like you say, money doesn't always guarantee promotion (FGR) and he's consistently put good teams together. But he had no money at Boston the second time he was there and took them out of the FL, so he isn't flawless.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
Bigdog
September 10, 2017, 12:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If you are a potential investor what would you be actually investing in. What are the assets and what is the potential?

Sort of answered that on reply 13 on this thread for you.

Not everyone invests in a football club for a return on investment. Love of the game, philanthropy, ego and enjoyment can be extremely influential factors for a lot of benefactors..

To say there's no potential, to say there's absolutely no one out there in the whole wide world who may be interested is being a defeatist more than being a realist in my opinion. To nervously look at a handful of clubs where new investment has failed and not at the whole raft of clubs where it is working is just being plain negative rather than optimistic.

Our football club cannot sit on its hands and bumble along any longer. We need a massive change, not to appease the diehards but re-engage the lost supporters and the whole area.

It takes inventiveness, blue sky thinking and someone at the top being a little honest with himself to assess what he is doing and realise it isn't working..

Our club has been slowly dying for years and the loyal supporters are left looking for crumbs of comfort from a narrow 1-0 home win against Crewe. We are a shadow of our former selves and we need drastic action to save ourselves from slowly crumbling. I'd love to be posting about positive things, but I'm giving an honest opinion on where we are today.

To me, it's just a very, very sad state of affairs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
Marinerz93
September 10, 2017, 12:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If you are a potential investor you are not going to invest in GTFC because it has a benign debt of over £3 million hanging over it, the potential is gates 2-3 times in a new stadium to what we get now if the team was doing well. Does Fenty play well with others with money ? , and he has total control, look what he did to the trust, so why would anyone want to come on board.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
grimsby pete
September 10, 2017, 12:41pm

Exile
We had one millionaire come on the board,

A few weeks of Fenty and he had gone,

He left £500,000 worth of shares with the trust,

BUT

Fenty took half of that off them,

No wonder nobody wants to get involve while Fenty is part of the deal,

Now if Fenty fecked off and turned his loans to shares,

Wouldn't it be a nice gesture to give those to the Trust,

Sorry I am dreaming.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
MuddyWaters
September 10, 2017, 12:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

If you are a potential investor you are not going to invest in GTFC because it has a benign debt of over £3 million hanging over it, the potential is gates 2-3 times in a new stadium to what we get now if the team was doing well. Does Fenty play well with others with money ? , and he has total control, look what he did to the trust, so why would anyone want to come on board.

Mike Parker's shareholding and the Mullens are the only people who have come through with anything like the money needed to challenge the authority of Fenty and they have, one way or another, come and gone. From a perspective of infrastructure, we are light years behind most clubs at our level and that has come about in the last decade or so. I don't think the timings are coincidental!
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
Bigdog
September 10, 2017, 12:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

To some people £3m is chicken feed. Why do we always assume the deal would be someone handing JF the cash to spend? Are we so institutionalised in thinking that JF would be here calling the shots if someone with bigger bucks was attracted? Can we all not act so downtrodden and start pushing for bigger and better things?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
Marinerz93
September 10, 2017, 12:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Bigdog

To some people £3m is chicken feed. Why do we always assume the deal would be someone handing JF the cash to spend? Are we so institutionalised in thinking that JF would be here calling the shots if someone with bigger bucks was attracted? Can we all not act so down trodden and start pushing for bigger and better things?

Mike Parker I think at the time was estimated to be worth £80 million, then Fenty claimed article 9 on the Ltd business rules, then Parker gifts "£500K" to the trust after he left the board, why do you think Parker left the board and why did he gift £500K to the trust, a potential investor with triple the money JF has a means?

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
grimsby pete
September 10, 2017, 12:55pm

Exile
Another reason that shows how Fenty must have everything his own way and throws his toys out the pram when he is not in direct control,

Is why he resigned from being chairman and we have not had one for the last few years,

We must be the only club in the league that does not have a chairman.

Pity he did not resign from the board.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
Bigdog
September 10, 2017, 1:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Mike Parker I think at the time was estimated to be worth £80 million, then Fenty claimed article 9 on the Ltd business rules, then Parker gifts "£500K" to the trust after he left the board, why do you think Parker left the board and why did he gift £500K to the trust, a potential investor with triple the money JF has a means?

Because at the time the fans were glued together and distracted with the indignation of being non-league and the will to get back into the league. JF has never been put under the pressure needed to unsettle him and to be honest £500k is chicken feed for a football league club and less than than the commitment of JF, so what did MP expect to happen? A leopard doesn't change his spots. To mention Mullen's amount as significant is laughable too.

JF has manufactured a stranglehold on our club with a substandard amount of cash and a lack of talent. If he's one of us and had an ounce of decency or honour he should be out there looking to find someone new with a proper amount of money to safeguard the club and who will build it from the bottom up. From the little things like bog rolls in the Ponny and ensuring refreshments were of the highest quality. The little things that make fans feel a little more special and appreciated then continue those practices further up the chain..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
HertsGTFC
September 10, 2017, 1:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Sort of answered that on reply 13 on this thread for you.

Not everyone invests in a football club for a return on investment. Love of the game, philanthropy, ego and enjoyment can be extremely influential factors for a lot of benefactors..

To say there's no potential, to say there's absolutely no one out there in the whole wide world who may be interested is being a defeatist more than being a realist in my opinion. To nervously look at a handful of clubs where new investment has failed and not at the whole raft of clubs where it is working is just being plain negative rather than optimistic.

Our football club cannot sit on its hands and bumble along any longer. We need a massive change, not to appease the diehards but re-engage the lost supporters and the whole area.

It takes inventiveness, blue sky thinking and someone at the top being a little honest with himself to assess what he is doing and realise it isn't working..

Our club has been slowly dying for years and the loyal supporters are left looking for crumbs of comfort from a narrow 1-0 home win against Crewe. We are a shadow of our former selves and we need drastic action to save ourselves from slowly crumbling. I'd love to be posting about positive things, but I'm giving an honest opinion on where we are today.

To me, it's just a very, very sad state of affairs.

I don't think you have answered it at all to be honest, I guess your calling me a defeatist?

Well your entitled to your opinion that's as along as your opinion is based upon fact and not the fantasy of someone coming in and throwing 10's of millions at us for the fun of it. Hoping for that to happen hardly makes you a realist.

Our club and football has declined and along and with others the "non-chairman" needs to take accountability for that especially around with regard to managerial appointments which have for one reason or another been poor  At the moment there is no alternatives and the club is not big enough or has the investment potential to generate the revenue it needs to catch up, that is reality.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
KingstonMariner
September 10, 2017, 1:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Of course the debt to Fenty is an impediment to anyone else getting involved. The debt (not all, but apparently the majority owed to him) at the end of the 2015-16 FY was £4.1m. He has control of the club regardless of the number of shares he holds. Until that debt is cleared or written off we have no hope of anyone else coming in.

To be honest though I wouldn't wish for someone new to come in with pots of money. I don't want us to become a richer man's plaything. But the potential is there for us to be a self-sufficient successful club - much more successful than we are. But we are being held back and the facts speak for themselves:

• Lowest ever position in the pyramid
    And that was sustained for 6 years
    Debt increased to over £4m
    Despite being one of the best supported clubs at L2 and Conference

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
Bigdog
September 10, 2017, 1:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I don't think you have answered it at all to be honest, I guess your calling me a defeatist?

Well your entitled to your opinion that's as along as your opinion is based upon fact and not the fantasy of someone coming in and throwing 10's of millions at us for the fun of it. Hoping for that to happen hardly makes you a realist.

Our club and football has declined and along and with others the "non-chairman" needs to take accountability for that especially around with regard to managerial appointments which have for one reason or another been poor  At the moment there is no alternatives and the club is not big enough or has the investment potential to generate the revenue it needs to catch up, that is reality.  

No I'm suggesting that you are part realist part defeatist. Me more more of an optimist rather than a realist. Definitely not a fantasist. There's a big wide world out there with millions upon millions of people who have so much more money than they know what to do with it.

Everyone's looking inwardly at NE Lincs, JF, MP etc. There are only 92 Football League clubs, very few if any up for sale and a new stadium in the pipeline. In this day and age of social media, it may only take up to 50k in presentation, PR and marketing for the news to stumble across someone in a far flung part of the world that's always wished for a project like this. How can we ever know there are no alternatives if no one ever looks further than a DN post code?

Or do we just let the club die a slow death and all of us suffer until it eventually does croak?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
moosey_club
September 10, 2017, 1:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from GrimRob
We've spent a lot of money on players in the last 12 months. But we need to get the right players, 1. who want to be here, wear our shirt, and play for whoever is the manager. There are no shortage of players who will take the wages on offer here, whether they are any good or right for the club is a different matter. 2. The team that got us promoted was a team, you sensed that unity and togetherness. It seems to have gradually dissipated in the intervening months, and now 3. we have a team of contractors getting paid to do a job.

All well and good but,

1.  Harry Clifton is probably the only player in the squad who will genuinely want that.

2. How can it now be a unified team when it has been assembled by three different managers ?

3. Several of whom were contracted by previous managers  

Slade has been hit by injuries, he has had limited opportunity to invigorate the centre mid so far due to Clement,McAllister and Osbourne being injured and already having Berrett, Summerfield , Jones in there he really couldnt have recruited any more than  Rose to that position in the summer could he? His only remaining option to freshen is now Clifton.   Centre mid is key to any football team and Slade hasnt really had all the tools available.

Must say that Kelly, Dixon, Hooper, Woolford have not over impressed me as signings but Dembele, DJ, Cardwell, Osbourne have.  

On the back of this result i can see Slade reverting to a lone striker for Accy, probably Matt, with a 4-1-4 set up behind him which i wouldnt want but can see why he might on paper.

Would like to see Cardwell given his opportunity in a front two as i think he would flourish in that, also Tombola and DJ given a starting run also.

Early days and all parties are still learning but with Slade starting off as being marmite as far as supporters are concerned then the natives are already restless.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
HertsGTFC
September 10, 2017, 3:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

No I'm suggesting that you are part realist part defeatist. Me more more of an optimist rather than a realist. Definitely not a fantasist. There's a big wide world out there with millions upon millions of people who have so much more money than they know what to do with it.

Everyone's looking inwardly at NE Lincs, JF, MP etc. There are only 92 Football League clubs, very few if any up for sale and a new stadium in the pipeline. In this day and age of social media, it may only take up to 50k in presentation, PR and marketing for the news to stumble across someone in a far flung part of the world that's always wished for a project like this. How can we ever know there are no alternatives if no one ever looks further than a DN post code?

Or do we just let the club die a slow death and all of us suffer until it eventually does croak?

Yeah I do see what you mean in that if JF was serious about taking the club forward he would be actively looking overseas as well as in the UK, but he's not serious as ever this is a topic that exposes his lack of sincerity.

The only way you will have change is if the stadium project falls on its backside then his "golden goose legacy" will not deliver and I sense that is all he is waiting for.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 50
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Evans versus slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.