August 23, 2017, 12:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Rick12
Some do though Mariner.Ive spoken to them and can testify to this

You believe the platitudes players give when speaking to fans or the media? They would say "the history was a big plus" or something along those lines whoever they signed for.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 67
Rick12
August 23, 2017, 12:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from mariner91

You believe the platitudes players give when speaking to fans or the media? They would say "the history was a big plus" or something along those lines whoever they signed for.
I do yes although money will play a bigger factor.Put yourself in their shoes for example as a lower league player and you have the chance for signing for Grimsby or say a Morecambe with respect and both are offering you similar money(Liam Hearn said something similar about our stadium and it impressing him) .Least when you hang up your boots you can say you played for a half decent traditional club like Grimsby.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 67
MuddyWaters
August 23, 2017, 12:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,239
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Rick12
I dont fear for this season yet as I still have faith in Slade but granted he can only work with whats in front of him and after the Coventry game I wasnt that impressed apart from Dembele. Having said that I can forgive lack of talent as long as the effort is forthcoming.  

Like you have alluded to players didnt want to come here possibly due to money/location and other teams offering better.Having said that least we have the history of our proud little club .Further to that on matchdays it feels like a traditional small professional club with the stadium and good fan support.That has to be a plus in our signing of players

I really don't think the history of the club has any relevance whatsoever. The truth is that we are a club in debt, in an old stadium in a rundown area with a bunch of grumpyoldtwat (I'm one) supporters who dip in their pockets in the vain hope of seeing a team bring back some footballing glory to the town.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 67
mariner91
August 23, 2017, 12:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Rick12
I do yes although money will play a bigger factor.Put yourself in their shoes for example as a lower league player and you have the chance for signing for Grimsby or say a Morecambe with respect and both are offering you similar money(Liam Hearn said something similar about our stadium and it impressing him) .Least when you hang up your boots you can say you played for a half decent traditional club like Grimsby.

Hearn had never played about the sixth tier of English football, of course Blundell Park looked good compared to the likes of Chorley. Players talk about history and being impressed by the "setup" whoever they sign for.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 67
FishOutOfWater
August 23, 2017, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mariner91

Hearn had never played about the sixth tier of English football, of course Blundell Park looked good compared to the likes of Chorley. Players talk about history and being impressed by the "setup" whoever they sign for.

I would argue that nobody ever would say that about the MKDonuts  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 67
Maringer
August 23, 2017, 1:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,499
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I would argue that nobody ever would say that about the MKDonuts  

They just say, "Ever since I was a child, I've always loved roundabouts..."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 67
sam gy
August 23, 2017, 1:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Jesus, never thought i'd see the day that several posters are praising Berrett! maybe people will get off his back a bit more now and hopefully he'll crack on as it's obvious Slade is a fan.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 67
Mariner1980
August 23, 2017, 1:35pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +118
I attended the game with my Dad and partner.
My Nan had died at 5am in the morning, and my Dad and I had been in her hospital room all night with her from 7pm the previous night so we were a bit tired!
We were saying on the way in they owed us a good performance, and I think apart from a very toothless showing upfront we did get a decent show.
I asked her to have a word with someone about us not getting a tanking, I think she did ok. Given it took them a penalty to beat us.

Berrett got stuck in, and I think played well. Dembele is a real find, the ball just seems to stick to his feet. I hope he can be a big part of our season.
Rose looked steady too, he seemed to in be in the right places. Bolarinwa ran his legs off and had a good game.
It's just like I said, we just looked a bit toothless in front of goal. Nothing stuck. I don't want to single people out, but Hooper look ineffectual and Cardwell looked no better (yes, they were up against higher league defenders, so I will reserve judgment until I've seen them properly against defenders in our league)

I think things might have worked out a bit better with Vernon up there. Either him scoring or his good link up play and application.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 67
MuddyWaters
August 23, 2017, 1:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,239
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from sam gy
Jesus, never thought i'd see the day that several posters are praising Berrett! maybe people will get off his back a bit more now and hopefully he'll crack on as it's obvious Slade is a fan.

As he made clear in his post-match interview!
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 67
Mariner56
August 23, 2017, 1:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +276
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Les Brechin
What's worrying me and I'm sure plenty of you, is where are the goals going to come from this season.

Although we played okay last night it was a damning indictment on the match, that the closest we came to a goal was McKeown's header at the death.

Wasn't it the Derby cup match last season when Macca nearly scored with a similar header right at the death. I think he brought a good save out of the keeper on that occasion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.