7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
August 23, 2017, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
I don't rate Hooper at all but to be fare neither he nor Cardwell got any service from midfield or the wings for that matter. How many good moves have been produced from a "Slade instruction". The only excitement so far has been from individual efforts. It's teamwork and team movement that wins matches. A lone striker is no good unless you have people prepared to run off him. Perhaps Cardwell could do the running off Vernon when he is fit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 67
Les Brechin
August 23, 2017, 1:56pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Mariner56

Wasn't it the Derby cup match last season when Macca nearly scored with a similar header right at the death. I think he brought a good save out of the keeper on that occasion.

It was, at Pride Park, right at the death, and again that was one of the best chances of the game that night.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 67
oldun
August 23, 2017, 3:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Just listened to Slade's post match interview and in addition to Dembele he singled out Berret for praise. I was a bit disappointed that JT chickened out of further questioning the lack of goals and the lack of effectiveness of the strikers. Slade said that we just made wrong choices with the final ball and expressed no concern about the front players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 67
MuddyWaters
August 23, 2017, 3:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from golfer
I don't rate Hooper at all but to be fare neither he nor Cardwell got any service from midfield or the wings for that matter. How many good moves have been produced from a "Slade instruction". The only excitement so far has been from individual efforts. It's teamwork and team movement that wins matches. A lone striker is no good unless you have people prepared to run off him. Perhaps Cardwell could do the running off Vernon when he is fit

A lone striker runs the channels between full backs and central defenders to allow space for midfielders to break. If you watched Chris Martin last night, you would see that he would try and occupy the space between Collins and Dixon rather than the space between Collins & Clarke. That allowed Lawrence the freedom to use the space between our back 4 and midfield - it's only because Rose & Berrett were very good last night that Clarke didn't get isolated.

In comparison, Hooper didn't run the channels at all and therefore created very little space for either Kelly or Dembele. You say it's teamwork & team movement that wins games - absolutely correct - there was no movement in front of the midfield. What was clear is that Hooper should not play as a lone striker.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 67
Hertsmariner
August 23, 2017, 4:41pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
I was very scathing of Hooper and Kelly after the Stevenage match, but thought they gave much more effort last night; Kelly in particular chased and closed down requiring their defence to retreat to the keeper perhaps more than they might have expected to. However, I don't think Hooper is a natural No 9 and will probably be much more comfortable running at defenders than playing with his back to goal. In his defence, he was marked very tightly last night and given little space to manoeuvre. I also thought both Berrett and Rose played well and gave Town some assertiveness in the spine of the side.
I also wish, somewhat wistfully perhaps, that Slade could find a way of including Dembele, Jaiyesimi and Bolarinwa in the same team. Both Siriki and Diallang are mercurial figures and can really embarrass defenders and might also complement each other. Bolarinwa provides muscle, power and pace too and is undaunted in the tackle. Whilst I've no idea what the formation would look like (easy to be a spectator isn't it?), I just think it's a crying shame that this terrific trio can't be given their freedom to pillage opposition defences together.
Overall, though, I really enjoyed the match and whilst Derby seemed to find an extra gear in the second half, showing some terrific pace on the counter, Town were always in with a chance, even with 10.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 67
TheRealJohnLewis
August 23, 2017, 4:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Hertsmariner
I was very scathing of Hooper and Kelly after the Stevenage match, but thought they gave much more effort last night; Kelly in particular chased and closed down requiring their defence to retreat to the keeper perhaps more than they might have expected to. However, I don't think Hooper is a natural No 9 and will probably be much more comfortable running at defenders than playing with his back to goal. In his defence, he was marked very tightly last night and given little space to manoeuvre. I also thought both Berrett and Rose played well and gave Town some assertiveness in the spine of the side.
I also wish, somewhat wistfully perhaps, that Slade could find a way of including Dembele, Jaiyesimi and Bolarinwa in the same team. Both Siriki and Diallang are mercurial figures and can really embarrass defenders and might also complement each other. Bolarinwa provides muscle, power and pace too and is undaunted in the tackle. Whilst I've no idea what the formation would look like (easy to be a spectator isn't it?), I just think it's a crying shame that this terrific trio can't be given their freedom to pillage opposition defences together.
Overall, though, I really enjoyed the match and whilst Derby seemed to find an extra gear in the second half, showing some terrific pace on the counter, Town were always in with a chance, even with 10.  

Bolly and DJ on the wing and Dembele behind the striker where Kelly was last night?
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 67
Maringer
August 23, 2017, 5:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
To be honest, in the imaginary formation with those three playing behind a striker, I think I'd prefer to see Bolarinwa in the centre for his extra pace and aggression. I think Dembele is still better coming in off the wing and we need to start to take advantage of the space he creates on his runs.

That said, I think we'd struggle a bit too much defensively with just the two defensive midfielders if we were to go with such a formation!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 67
rancido
August 23, 2017, 5:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Mendonca1995

Disagree about Kelly at least he tried to get us up the field attacking wise had a few decent runs with no striker around him in sight, I'm more concerned about Clarke gifting another Goal away that's 3 in 3 games now He had a chance before the penalty to clear the ball and dallied on it which seconds later became a penalty thate worrying a goal a game at the moment and oh another red card that must be some sort of record other than that was a good game against some very good quality players UTM

Clarke won a great tackle and then let himself down by trying to play the play out instead of passing. For all his experience I don't think much to Clarke and I think we let just as good a player go. The worrying thing is that if we achieve promotion this season then we will need to replace two " twilight years " centre-backs which wouldn't bode well for next season.
I thought town played quite good last night and certainly seemed better in mid-field than of late. The main cause for concern is up front where we seem quite ineffective , apart from Dembele.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 67
Garth
August 23, 2017, 5:26pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
If Wilki could convert Bolly into a target barnstorming battering ram similar to the Shop with Dembele and DJ out wide as plan B, we may prove more of a threat to apposing defences.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 67
MuddyWaters
August 23, 2017, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Bolly and DJ on the wing and Dembele behind the striker where Kelly was last night?

I think Tom or DJ would have offered more of a threat up front last night just simply because of their pace. I still can't quite work out what either Hooper or Cardwell offer to be honest other than Cardwell appears to put himself about more.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.