10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
August 13, 2017, 9:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Just thought it was very unprofessional by Town for not taking more care and the referee who clearly was not watching.

What is interesting is the blowing the whistle thing as often you get a free kick in that part of the pitch and the ref will blow to stop the game/award the free kick but will not blow to re-start the game.

Then if you get a free kick outside of the box and a wall is set up the ref will blows to tell everyone he is ready and the attacker can tale the kick, you often see kicks re-taken because the ref is not ready, as ever consistently inconsistency refereeing at this level! In fact w could the ref had been "ready" yesterday if he was not looking at the ball.  

All that though is immaterial as the goal stood and actually I also think Pete has called it right.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 99
Mrs Doyle
August 13, 2017, 9:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Only hope EVERYBODY learned a few things from that game and s it happened so early will get it out their systems fast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 99
moosey_club
August 13, 2017, 10:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Astute

One question. What is your GK doing being out that far? Haven't you got an outfield player that can kick the ball?

On yesterdays viewing..... no  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 99
Mariner93er
August 13, 2017, 11:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I'm certain Clarke was giving it to Mckeown to take. If it was a pass he would have in some way reacted but if you look at him, he has no hesitation in saying what the intercourse is that guy doing. In no way is Mckeown at fault, but it's probably his reaction that convinces the officials.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 99
KingstonMariner
August 13, 2017, 12:06pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Officials got it wrong. Either it was a roll back to Macca for him to take the free kick or the Coventry player wasn't ten yards away. Quite simply the goal should have been disallowed and the free kick taken.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 99
mimma
August 13, 2017, 12:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Yesterday's incident was a complete one off. Some comments on here are completely out of order.

Clarke has given the ball to another player to take a free kick hundreds of times throughout his career  and watched the same thing happen in thousands of games without incident.

It is a grey area but players always pick the ball up to place it themselves when taking a free kick and players often roll it to the kicker for them to place it.

The ref had a get out clause to save embarrassment.  "I wasn't ready and hadn't signalled for the free kick to be taken". Made us take it again and wait for the referees signal. End of problem.

If Clarke had chipped it up to Macca and he caught it would the ref give a free kick for handball? I don't think so.

What's the bets next game one of our players tries the exact same thing and gets booked for delaying the taking of a free kick.

It was a one off freak that will never get repeated. It had to be us didn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 99
GyMariner
August 13, 2017, 12:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
Spot on mimma. Clarke wasn't being stupid at all, everything about his body language indicated he was just rolling it back for macca to take. It was poor sportsmanship from their striker to take the ball like that. However I do agree on the flip side you could class it as 'quick thinking.' It was a 1 in a 100 situation, the majority of strikers wouldn't have thought anything to it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 99
rancido
August 13, 2017, 12:24pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from toontown
People saying if it's a quickly taken free kick then u can't expect opposition to be 10 yards BUT Berrett was booked for obstructing when they had a free kick and tried to take it quickly. I thought at the time fair enough but let's see if u apply that to both sides. You can't say Berrett acquired more of an advantage than their player did. Also Berrett wouldn't have been sent off if he hadn't have received that booking. (stupid foul to give when already booked tho)

But Berrett intentionally prevented their player from taking a quick free kick. Their player didn't prevent us from taking a free kick but capitalised on our schoolboy error.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 99
MrsMariner
August 13, 2017, 12:27pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +434
Gold Stars: 1
"It was a one off freak that will never get repeated. It had to be us didn't it?"

My words exactly yesterday were why does it always happen to us
I still think the referee got it completely wrong and having seen it on the tv I'm convinced from Clarkes body language he was not taking the free kick but signalling to Macca to take it instead.
Just hope we've learnt our lesson but I won't hold my breath, we saw last year how many goals we gave away with our silly passing about at the back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 99
Mrs Doyle
August 13, 2017, 12:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Give over the striker did what all good strikers do he took advantage of a stupid mistake.

Clarke for all his experience should have left it for Macca to sort out only one man at fault Clarke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 99
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › That goal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.