grimsby pete
August 12, 2017, 8:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
After looking at the clip several times my thoughts are,

Why did Clarke kick the ball at all, he should have left it to Macca to take from that spot,

Their player was not 10 yards away so you would think the ref would had asked us to retake the kick.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 99
Madeleymariner
August 12, 2017, 9:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Was the ref making up for the blatent penalty he didn't give Coventry 10 mins earlier  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 99
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 12, 2017, 9:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from grimsby pete
After looking at the clip several times my thoughts are,

Why did Clarke kick the ball at all, he should have left it to Macca to take from that spot,

Their player was not 10 yards away so you would think the ref would had asked us to retake the kick.

Exactly what we said whilst at the match, coupled with why the f... Does Macca insist on coming out & taking free kicks 30 yards out from goal?

Plain & simple Clarke's error and only possible reason for disallowing the goal is the ten yard rule which I admit at the game passed me by at the time. Without that error could have got 0-0 for a hard fought and maybe undeserved point but lets hope for better entertainment in next 22 home matches!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 99
mariner91
August 12, 2017, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from pizzzza
If the striker wasn't 10 yards away then why did he take it so quickly? Clarke misjudged the weight of the pass plain and simple. I have never seen a ref stop play for a player not being 10 yards away after a free kick is taken.

You see it all the time when a player blocks a free kick being taken, that is the exact same rule. Personally I'd say it was quite obvious that Town didn't think they'd restarted play because Clarke must have noticed the man being there and it's such a nonchalant flick I'd be astonished if he'd passed the ball like that whilst intending to restart play.

What irked me was I don't think the ref was actually watching the incident which is why there was such confusion. His actions and his body language showed he didn't know what was going on and if you're unsure of what has happened and not actually watching the game, how on earth can you give a goal or claim that the ball was in play?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 99
FishOutOfWater
August 12, 2017, 9:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mariner91

You see it all the time when a player blocks a free kick being taken, that is the exact same rule. Personally I'd say it was quite obvious that Town didn't think they'd restarted play because Clarke must have noticed the man being there and it's such a nonchalant flick I'd be astonished if he'd passed the ball like that whilst intending to restart play.

What irked me was I don't think the ref was actually watching the incident which is why there was such confusion. His actions and his body language showed he didn't know what was going on and if you're unsure of what has happened and not actually watching the game, how on earth can you give a goal or claim that the ball was in play?

I've paused the highlights and the referee is nowhere in sight when Clarke pushes the ball towards McKeown. He was probably pushing up the pitch towards the Pontoon end and my guess is he didn't even see the 'free kick' being taken
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 99
Davec
August 12, 2017, 9:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
It's a goal in my opinion.

Clarke in my opinion was taking the free kick and where Clarke was standing was where the foul was comitted, you wouldn't then pass it back to the keeper to take 10 yards back would you? Clarke didn't expect their striker to react that quickly, very few players would so Clarke at the time thought the pass without properly looking was alright, just a stupid mistake but a legitimate goal in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 99
LH
August 12, 2017, 9:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,505
Gold Stars: 173
If Clarke had placed the ball and passed it quickly two yards right to Davies (as an example) no-one would be arsed that the striker is not ten yards away. He's placed the ball and then passed with the strength of a one legged mouse back to McKeown so the only person at fault is Clarke. Take away all emotional attachment to it because as I said before if we'd have scored it we'd be praising the striker. We move on to next week.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 99
mariner91
August 12, 2017, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from LH
If Clarke had placed the ball and passed it quickly two yards right to Davies (as an example) no-one would be arsed that the striker is not ten yards away. He's placed the ball and then passed with the strength of a one legged mouse back to McKeown so the only person at fault is Clarke. Take away all emotional attachment to it because as I said before if we'd have scored it we'd be praising the striker. We move on to next week.

Irrelevant. The fact is that the striker is nowhere near ten yards away and gained an advantage (a pretty fucking big advantage given the state of the game) from being there. That's against the rules and shouldn't count.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 99
Mariner93er
August 12, 2017, 10:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
The problem is, the player within 10 yards actually moves to block Clarke playing the long ball. So it's not as though he's just fortunately there, he's there technically breaking the rules.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 99
psgmariner
August 12, 2017, 10:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Absolute shocker from Clarke. Can't believe anyone is disputing whether it should have stood.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 99
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › That goal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.