10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
heppy88
August 12, 2017, 10:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
The ball was placed at the right spot and the free kick was taken. Although the ball is under hit.
I was sat next to a referee and he stated he would have allowed the goal.
To be honest it was embarrassing watching the players (and supporters) trying to convince the referee otherwise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 99
LH
August 12, 2017, 10:09pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,390
Gold Stars: 169
Not irrelevant though is it when the law gets overlooked multiple times week in week out? Uphold the rules properly and refs get shouted at for being pedantic. The ball has been placed so the next touch by the team who were awarded the kick makes the ball active!

Like I said if it happened at the other end no-one on here is whinging and we're laughing at Coventry.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 99
lukeo
August 12, 2017, 10:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
I've only seen it on a replay and for me if I was Macca I wouldn't have made an attempt of getting the ball when their player nipped In. Sounds daft but refs go on body language and Macca clearly felt the ball was live
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 99
mariner91
August 12, 2017, 10:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,244
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from LH
Not irrelevant though is it when the law gets overlooked multiple times week in week out? Uphold the rules properly and refs get shouted at for being pedantic. The ball has been placed so the next touch by the team who were awarded the kick makes the ball active!

Like I said if it happened at the other end no-one on here is whinging and we're laughing at Coventry.

If the player isn't ten yards but doesn't interfere with play then why would it need to be retaken or even mentioned? It only becomes relevant once the player has gained an advantage or disrupted play, like with offside.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 99
LH
August 12, 2017, 10:31pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,390
Gold Stars: 169
The striker today isn't stood between Clarke and McKeown is he? At what point is he active when he starts maybe 120• behind the direction the ball is played to? The active/non-active thing is a huge grey area that it seems the authorities can't change to black and white.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 99
MarinerBen
August 12, 2017, 11:00pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
At the time the ball was played I the Ref was making his way to the other side of the pitch. It wasn’t until he noticed the other outfield players rushing towards our goal that he turned around and bolted back like he had witnessed the whole scenario.

Before this incident, I noted that on another free kick being taken, he focused his attention on the players in the box, without a care in the world from where the ball was delivered from.

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 99
samg
August 13, 2017, 12:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
Gold Stars: 7
Rightly or wrongly, but before that  - they had a stonewall penalty turned down but as their striker was about to shoot (can't remember who it was) they just kicked his feet away - so to be fair it did even out,but the ref was pretty awful all afternoon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 99
Abdul19
August 13, 2017, 1:12am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
If you try and take a quick free kick and accidentally pass it to an opponent 5 yards away it doesn't get retaken, because you've chosen to take it. It's a massive error by Clarke.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 99
RichMariner
August 13, 2017, 2:46am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I'm 50/50 on this one. I can understand why the goal stands, but there's also two or three things going on that don't make it clear-cut for me - most have already been discussed.

The one thing I'm still not sure on is the positioning of the linesman in all of this. He was stood much further back from where Clarke took the free kick - in line with McKeown - so surely that's the linesman indicating where the kick should be taken from?

Keepers always look across to the linesman to check they're taking the free kick from the right place. I can 100% believe that it was a crap back pass by Clarke, but I also think McKeown would've 100% picked that ball up and replaced it in line with the linesman to take the free kick, had it come to that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 28 - 99
Astute
August 13, 2017, 3:14am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +8
As some of you will know I thought the goal was dodgy at the time. But looking at the replay it was a good goal.

When taking a free kick you can get ready and have all players get 10 yards away. Or you can take it quickly no matter where everyone is. Nothing wrong there.

The striker was behind the ball and not in the direction of where it was played. No obstruction.

The ball had been placed. It wasn't moving. It was kicked towards a team mate. Legitimate free kick.

The linesman or ref hadn't said that it needed to go back. So it was in the right place.

I am not surprised that the ref wasn't looking. He was going in the direction that the ball should have gone in. He has the linesmen to help him. He checked with them on if the goal should stand.

One question. What is your GK doing being out that far? Haven't you got an outfield player that can kick the ball?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 99
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › That goal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.