Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust..  Have your say!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 196 Guests

Mariners Trust..  Have your say!!

This thread currently has 6,519 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
July 29, 2017, 8:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Always thought the aims of the Trust (MkI and MkII) were too limited. To my mind it should have never been anything less than complete ownership of the club. And the decision taken to gift 200,000 shares to Mr Fenty was a strategic error and a missed opportunity (yeah I know the arguments put forward for doing so, but they smacked of short-termist defeatism, and based on a lack of appreciation of the weakness of Mr Fenty's position - i.e. would he have risked losing most of his benign loans by forcing us into a position of administration, and if he did we could have rescued the club as Op.Promotion has shown).

I wouldn't chuck away the board position now though - too much money and hard work has gone into gaining it. Whilst Jon might be tied in what he can publicly say by collective responsibility, the rest of the organisation isn't.

Don't think Fenty ever threatened to take us down the administration route did he?

IIRC this came to a head within a couple of weeks of the Trusts rebirth and they simply didn't have the knowledge or ability to take on the reigns. I don't think that has changed? I can't think of anyone with the capabilities either singularly or collectively with the ability to take on the running and funding of the football club.
Even if the club could be bought I simply don't see how it could be funded on an on going basis and cash flow managed.
Maybe the SW London think tank could take this forward?
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
grimsby pete
July 29, 2017, 10:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
The Trust would be on a hiding to nothing if they took over the club,

Not that would ever happen because they would have to find £3 million to buy out Fenty,

So we are stuck with him whether we like it or not,

So lets pull together for the club because we all have the club at our hearts including John,

UTM

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
promotion plaice
July 29, 2017, 10:04pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from grimsby pete
The Trust would be on a hiding to nothing if they took over the club,

Not that would ever happen because they would have to find £3 million to buy out Fenty,

So we are stuck with him whether we like it or not,

So lets pull together for the club because we all have the club at our hearts including John,

UTM

Operation £3 million.....      

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
MuddyWaters
July 29, 2017, 10:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
And that's why the club is stagnant - we can't go forward with a £3 million debt and we can't expect a new investor to pay it off before he/she/they buy out the shares.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
fleabag1970
July 29, 2017, 10:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
It should need paying off . 3 million is a fair price for abject failure

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
KingstonMariner
July 29, 2017, 10:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Cloudy

Don't think Fenty ever threatened to take us down the administration route did he?

IIRC this came to a head within a couple of weeks of the Trusts rebirth and they simply didn't have the knowledge or ability to take on the reigns. I don't think that has changed? I can't think of anyone with the capabilities either singularly or collectively with the ability to take on the running and funding of the football club.
Even if the club could be bought I simply don't see how it could be funded on an on going basis and cash flow managed.
Maybe the SW London think tank could take this forward?

How do you know the Trust didn't have the ability? Plenty of other clubs' trusts have managed to rescue clubs in emergency situation, and kept them going in good shape. And JF said he would pull his financial support if he didn't get his way over being the major shareholder again. That could well have led to administration.

The club's managing to pay its way without any handouts now. The financial recovery has coincided with the Trust being involved in the running of the club. Took a while but its doing OK. The losses stemmed from mismanagement before.

Funding comes from ticket sales and commercial income. Why would it need handouts if it wasn't badly managed to start with? If you don't think people in the town have the ability to run a business turning over a couple of million a year you clearly haven't paid much attention to what's going on around you or in the town's history. JS Fenty is not the only man in NE Lincs capable of running a business.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
MuddyWaters
July 29, 2017, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from KingstonMariner

How do you know the Trust didn't have the ability? Plenty of other clubs' trusts have managed to rescue clubs in emergency situation, and kept them going in good shape. And JF said he would pull his financial support if he didn't get his way over being the major shareholder again. That could well have led to administration.

The club's managing to pay its way without any handouts now. The financial recovery has coincided with the Trust being involved in the running of the club. Took a while but its doing OK. The losses stemmed from mismanagement before.

Funding comes from ticket sales and commercial income. Why would it need handouts if it wasn't badly managed to start with? If you don't think people in the town have the ability to run a business turning over a couple of million a year you clearly haven't paid much attention to what's going on around you or in the town's history. JS Fenty is not the only man in NE Lincs capable of running a business badly.

You missed out the most important word
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
HertsGTFC
July 29, 2017, 10:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Anyway 6 days till the start of the season and all this will then disappear.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
Southwark Mariner
August 3, 2017, 11:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Slight update....

"Statement from the Mariners Trust

At a special meeting of the Mariners Trust, held last night, Chairman Terry Rudrum tendered his resignation from the position. This was accepted by the board.

Jon Wood will become Chairman of the Trust on an interim basis until the annual general meeting in October. Paul Savage will be Vice Chairman on the same basis.

The Trust would like to thank Terry for his tireless work, much of it behind the scenes, and the passion he has shown for the football club.

Jon Wood said: "To ensure continuity within the Trust I am proud to take on the role of Chairman on an interim basis. We have started a consultation process with members of the Trust and we would like to invite fans, both members and non-members, to attend a special meeting prior to the Yeovil game at 11am on Saturday, 16 September. This will be an open forum giving supporters the opportunity to set the agenda for how we all take the Trust forward together."

Further details for the process of submitting questions will be announced in due course."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
KingstonMariner
August 3, 2017, 11:39am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Anyway 6 days till the start of the season and all this will then disappear.

Yes all will be rosy from August 5th. There'll be no reason to be concerned about how the club is run, who runs it, what say fans have in the club. It'll all disappear for 9 months.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust..  Have your say!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.