Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What do you think ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 107 Guests

What do you think ?

This thread currently has 5,378 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Impish2
July 2, 2017, 9:10pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
Wouldn't surprise me if we start with Matt Green and everyones love to hate favourite Matt Rhead, with Palmer more likely used as an impact sub?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Mariner_09
July 2, 2017, 9:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I'd imagine Green and Rhead would make a good partnership. One quick and mobile goal scorer and then Rhead (nothing motre needed)

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
Grantley
July 2, 2017, 9:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
They were good when Mansfield won the Conference title and they scored about 40 combined. Whether they can do similar in a higher league 5 years later is another thing.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 2, 2017, 10:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Impish2

The new ground has been planned for at least 5 years, nothing to do with our promotion so the one good season remark is wrong.  The board would be in the same situation if we were still back in the NL with or without the Cowleys. As for the capacity, our chairman reckons it's not much difference having 12k as it is having 15k cost wise so the overall capacity could be different to that piece.

So these two big guys up top, you wouldn't want Matt Green or Ollie Palmer then? Am sure we can cope with Billy Knott too, how can any new player set the world alight before a ball is even kicked?

I do agree with some of the other posters on the fishy though, there are nearly as many posts about Lincoln than about yourselves, I thought we were the ones supposed to be obsessed  .

Think you should read what I said or I should make myself clearer. My comment re one good season referred to the original posters comment that a 12,000 seater may not be big enough not the proposed move to a new ground. With a bloody son in law who has had a season ticket at Lincoln throughout your crap years believe me I know all about your plans down at the bank.

As for the players I clarified my comment by saying "on paper" and as we all know no game is won on paper. With reference Green & Palmer I accept they are both decent players but I am not upset that they have signed for you rather than us. Palmer did a good job for us whilst on loan, but was not first choice at either of his clubs last season. Plus nothing wrong with playing two big lads up front if you have the right players to support which I would expect the Cowleys to have in place.

As for town fans being obsessed I would take the interest as a compliment. The history books demonstrate throughout our respective existence that town have in the majority of this time been a more successful and better supported club. That looks like it may change next season but whether that can be maintained is another matter.

We also have wanted a new ground not for 5 years but 20 years plus and our recent comments are mainly refelective of our surprise at the level of season ticket sales achieved by you and envy at having three local teams, included Hull, and you could add Boston Utd, to make 4, who all appear to have the support of their Council & population in your application for a new ground whilst town just continue to hit their heads against an immovable brick road. So any progress you make will attract comment not obsession.

Anyway its results that count and once the season starts we can see whether my bets with regulars in the Plough at Skelly are going to pay well or cost me dear!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
lukeo
July 2, 2017, 10:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Good luck to them, move along nothing to see here..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
Impish2
July 3, 2017, 9:17am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Think you should read what I said or I should make myself clearer. My comment re one good season referred to the original posters comment that a 12,000 seater may not be big enough not the proposed move to a new ground. With a bloody son in law who has had a season ticket at Lincoln throughout your crap years believe me I know all about your plans down at the bank.

As for the players I clarified my comment by saying "on paper" and as we all know no game is won on paper. With reference Green & Palmer I accept they are both decent players but I am not upset that they have signed for you rather than us. Palmer did a good job for us whilst on loan, but was not first choice at either of his clubs last season. Plus nothing wrong with playing two big lads up front if you have the right players to support which I would expect the Cowleys to have in place.

As for town fans being obsessed I would take the interest as a compliment. The history books demonstrate throughout our respective existence that town have in the majority of this time been a more successful and better supported club. That looks like it may change next season but whether that can be maintained is another matter.

We also have wanted a new ground not for 5 years but 20 years plus and our recent comments are mainly refelective of our surprise at the level of season ticket sales achieved by you and envy at having three local teams, included Hull, and you could add Boston Utd, to make 4, who all appear to have the support of their Council & population in your application for a new ground whilst town just continue to hit their heads against an immovable brick road. So any progress you make will attract comment not obsession.

Anyway its results that count and once the season starts we can see whether my bets with regulars in the Plough at Skelly are going to pay well or cost me dear!!!

All fair points LM, re our wish to find a new home, wouldn't surprise me if this move takes a lot longer than Bob and the board anticipate because as you said, things often take what seems like forever.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
dicko995
July 3, 2017, 10:34am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -252
Gold Stars: 25
Rheads contract up soon, offer him more pies and he,ll sign !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
July 3, 2017, 10:54am
Guest User
Matt Green has dined out on his 2012/13 season in the Conference when he scored 25 league goals. Since then he has failed to hit those dizzy heights, and hasn't even hit the magical 20 league goals a season mark.

He has been dogged with injury, but not in the last two seasons though.

Not sure Steve Evans would be releasing a player that he thought was a proven and prolific goalscorer
Reply: 17 - 24
Maringer
July 3, 2017, 11:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Regarding Palmer, he did pretty well for us with LJL doing much of his running for him. I don't think he's a target man as such but he might do OK alongside Rhead or Green. Certainly has a lot to prove in the Football League as his scoring record there shows.

It's boring talking about the players of other teams. Come on Slade - sort out some signings!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
Abdul19
July 3, 2017, 12:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from HertsGTFC

We had Palmer, he was o.k. in the NL but has had more clubs than Rory McIlroy in the FL which would suggested he's a bit inconsistent or just not that good enough at a higher level.

I agree with the last bit but I'm not sure Rory McIlroy would get far with 4 clubs!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What do you think ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.