Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 2, 2017, 4:37pm
http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/lincoln-news/were-up-imps-fans-say-156921

12,000 not big enough for Gimps !

What do you think.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 2, 2017, 4:46pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

I think they are getting carried away with their first good season in many a year. That said there is massive investment taking place in Lincoln at present, mainly stimulated via the University, but this new ground is linked to 3500 new homes and unlike Grimsby will have the full backing of the Council from day one. The place is growing and their football club is getting good investment but have to say their signings to date, on paper, are not setting the world alight and it looks like they will play with two big guys up top. Hopefully, this feel good factor will soon disappear and its painful to live with over here.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 2, 2017, 5:39pm; Reply: 2
It will be far too big when the Cowleys up sticks and move on.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, July 2, 2017, 5:39pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I think they are getting carried away with their first good season in many a year. That said there is massive investment taking place in Lincoln at present, mainly stimulated via the University, but this new ground is linked to 3500 new homes and unlike Grimsby will have the full backing of the Council from day one. The place is growing and their football club is getting good investment but have to say their signings to date, on paper, are not setting the world alight and it looks like they will play with two big guys up top. Hopefully, this feel good factor will soon disappear and its painful to live with over here.

Winds me up 😢 Everywhere I go things are moving forward apart from here.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 2, 2017, 5:46pm; Reply: 4

Maybe Getyourfactsright would like to update us on the latest regarding PP.

Posted by: gary_elton, July 2, 2017, 5:52pm; Reply: 5
I think it's time to stop new threads about the frikkin gimps...  I couldn't give a toss.... ffs...
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 2, 2017, 6:44pm; Reply: 6
See above, we seem to spend more time talking about them than any other topic ATM??
Posted by: Impish2, July 2, 2017, 7:39pm; Reply: 7

The new ground has been planned for at least 5 years, nothing to do with our promotion so the one good season remark is wrong.  The board would be in the same situation if we were still back in the NL with or without the Cowleys. As for the capacity, our chairman reckons it's not much difference having 12k as it is having 15k cost wise so the overall capacity could be different to that piece.

So these two big guys up top, you wouldn't want Matt Green or Ollie Palmer then? Am sure we can cope with Billy Knott too, how can any new player set the world alight before a ball is even kicked?

I do agree with some of the other posters on the fishy though, there are nearly as many posts about Lincoln than about yourselves, I thought we were the ones supposed to be obsessed  :).
Posted by: mariner91, July 2, 2017, 7:47pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Impish2

The new ground has been planned for at least 5 years, nothing to do with our promotion so the one good season remark is wrong.  The board would be in the same situation if we were still back in the NL with or without the Cowleys. As for the capacity, our chairman reckons it's not much difference having 12k as it is having 15k cost wise so the overall capacity could be different to that piece.

So these two big guys up top, you wouldn't want Matt Green or Ollie Palmer then? Am sure we can cope with Billy Knott too, how can any new player set the world alight before a ball is even kicked?

I do agree with some of the other posters on the fishy though, there are nearly as many posts about Lincoln than about yourselves, I thought we were the ones supposed to be obsessed  :).

Matt Green maybe but not Palmer, we've got better.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 2, 2017, 8:10pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Impish2

We had Palmer, he was o.k. in the NL but has had more clubs than Rory McIlroy in the FL which would suggested he's a bit inconsistent or just not that good enough at a higher level. If memory serves me right for a big lad he's not great in the air but has decent feet, so he might be a bit under utilised if you continue the lump it up/in approach. Green has had a scoring average of 1 in 3 with one great and on one good season in a 10 year senior career, clearly RS thinks we could do better.

Posted by: Impish2, July 2, 2017, 9:10pm; Reply: 10
Wouldn't surprise me if we start with Matt Green and everyones love to hate favourite Matt Rhead, with Palmer more likely used as an impact sub?
Posted by: Mariner_09, July 2, 2017, 9:25pm; Reply: 11
I'd imagine Green and Rhead would make a good partnership. One quick and mobile goal scorer and then Rhead (nothing motre needed)
Posted by: Grantley, July 2, 2017, 9:27pm; Reply: 12
They were good when Mansfield won the Conference title and they scored about 40 combined. Whether they can do similar in a higher league 5 years later is another thing.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 2, 2017, 10:20pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Impish2

Think you should read what I said or I should make myself clearer. My comment re one good season referred to the original posters comment that a 12,000 seater may not be big enough not the proposed move to a new ground. With a bloody son in law who has had a season ticket at Lincoln throughout your crap years believe me I know all about your plans down at the bank.

As for the players I clarified my comment by saying "on paper" and as we all know no game is won on paper. With reference Green & Palmer I accept they are both decent players but I am not upset that they have signed for you rather than us. Palmer did a good job for us whilst on loan, but was not first choice at either of his clubs last season. Plus nothing wrong with playing two big lads up front if you have the right players to support which I would expect the Cowleys to have in place.

As for town fans being obsessed I would take the interest as a compliment. The history books demonstrate throughout our respective existence that town have in the majority of this time been a more successful and better supported club. That looks like it may change next season but whether that can be maintained is another matter.

We also have wanted a new ground not for 5 years but 20 years plus and our recent comments are mainly refelective of our surprise at the level of season ticket sales achieved by you and envy at having three local teams, included Hull, and you could add Boston Utd, to make 4, who all appear to have the support of their Council & population in your application for a new ground whilst town just continue to hit their heads against an immovable brick road. So any progress you make will attract comment not obsession.

Anyway its results that count and once the season starts we can see whether my bets with regulars in the Plough at Skelly are going to pay well or cost me dear!!!
Posted by: lukeo, July 2, 2017, 10:24pm; Reply: 14
Good luck to them, move along nothing to see here..
Posted by: Impish2, July 3, 2017, 9:17am; Reply: 15

Think you should read what I said or I should make myself clearer. My comment re one good season referred to the original posters comment that a 12,000 seater may not be big enough not the proposed move to a new ground. With a bloody son in law who has had a season ticket at Lincoln throughout your crap years believe me I know all about your plans down at the bank.

As for the players I clarified my comment by saying "on paper" and as we all know no game is won on paper. With reference Green & Palmer I accept they are both decent players but I am not upset that they have signed for you rather than us. Palmer did a good job for us whilst on loan, but was not first choice at either of his clubs last season. Plus nothing wrong with playing two big lads up front if you have the right players to support which I would expect the Cowleys to have in place.

As for town fans being obsessed I would take the interest as a compliment. The history books demonstrate throughout our respective existence that town have in the majority of this time been a more successful and better supported club. That looks like it may change next season but whether that can be maintained is another matter.

We also have wanted a new ground not for 5 years but 20 years plus and our recent comments are mainly refelective of our surprise at the level of season ticket sales achieved by you and envy at having three local teams, included Hull, and you could add Boston Utd, to make 4, who all appear to have the support of their Council & population in your application for a new ground whilst town just continue to hit their heads against an immovable brick road. So any progress you make will attract comment not obsession.

Anyway its results that count and once the season starts we can see whether my bets with regulars in the Plough at Skelly are going to pay well or cost me dear!!!

All fair points LM, re our wish to find a new home, wouldn't surprise me if this move takes a lot longer than Bob and the board anticipate because as you said, things often take what seems like forever.

Posted by: dicko995, July 3, 2017, 10:34am; Reply: 16
Rheads contract up soon, offer him more pies and he,ll sign !
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), July 3, 2017, 10:54am; Reply: 17
Matt Green has dined out on his 2012/13 season in the Conference when he scored 25 league goals. Since then he has failed to hit those dizzy heights, and hasn't even hit the magical 20 league goals a season mark.

He has been dogged with injury, but not in the last two seasons though.

Not sure Steve Evans would be releasing a player that he thought was a proven and prolific goalscorer
Posted by: Maringer, July 3, 2017, 11:27am; Reply: 18
Regarding Palmer, he did pretty well for us with LJL doing much of his running for him. I don't think he's a target man as such but he might do OK alongside Rhead or Green. Certainly has a lot to prove in the Football League as his scoring record there shows.

It's boring talking about the players of other teams. Come on Slade - sort out some signings!  :)
Posted by: Abdul19, July 3, 2017, 12:41pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from HertsGTFC

We had Palmer, he was o.k. in the NL but has had more clubs than Rory McIlroy in the FL which would suggested he's a bit inconsistent or just not that good enough at a higher level.

I agree with the last bit but I'm not sure Rory McIlroy would get far with 4 clubs!
Posted by: RichMariner, July 3, 2017, 1:05pm; Reply: 20
The best I saw Palmer and LJL play together was in the second play-off leg at home to Eastleigh. As a strike pair they were (physically) unplayable that day.

I think Palmer has that physicality in his locker, but he always looked like someone playing at 70% of his true ability, like he had more to give, or was conserving energy for something else.

I'm not worried about facing him though. I reckon our experience at centre half will be good enough to keep him quiet.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 3, 2017, 1:48pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from 120790
Matt Green has dined out on his 2012/13 season in the Conference when he scored 25 league goals. Since then he has failed to hit those dizzy heights, and hasn't even hit the magical 20 league goals a season mark.

Not sure Steve Evans would be releasing a player that he thought was a proven and prolific goalscorer

I think Lincoln now having Rhead, Green and Palmer to call upon will certainly cause issues from their style of play, the long throws, the set pieces and their deep diagonal balls toward the back stick where any of the above will have pulled off against the smaller full backs will give supporting midfielders/ wingers the opportunity for the knock downs and loose bits and bobs around the penalty spot.

You know whats coming but it can be hard to defend against, stop the crosses becomes most important aspect and we certainly havnt done that to any great level over recent seasons...a commanding keeper would also be of benefit.... :o

Posted by: Impish2, July 3, 2017, 3:09pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from 120790

There has been a fair bit written about Green from the Stags fans, the man himself and also from the local press in Mansfield. It seems MG did have a bit of a fall out with SE, in fact it's well known that Evans has his faves and if he gets his teeth into someone, regardless of past form or stature at the club, he often moves them out. I have no idea what to expect from him re goal scoring records, but this radio reporter doesn't give him a bad report.  :)

https://audioboom.com/posts/6051170-bbc-radio-nottingham-s-charlie-slater-on-lincoln-city-s-new-striker-matt-green

Posted by: Maringer, July 3, 2017, 4:01pm; Reply: 23
Based on available evidence, I'd be surprised if there was anything much left once Evans has got his teeth into most things.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 4, 2017, 4:52am; Reply: 24
Ah well a couple of tasty derbies if nowt else. ;D
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 5:55pm