Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sam Kelly Signs (Merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 345 Guests

Sam Kelly Signs (Merged)

This thread currently has 19,713 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
May 31, 2017, 9:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,487
Gold Stars: 1,500
Here's a bit of trivia for you which might help put this signing into some context.

In the last two calendar years, Sam Kelly has played 49 games in League One.

Who was the last permanent Town signing to have played 49 games or more in League One (or above) in the two calendar years prior to signing for Town?

It's been a while...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 103
Swansea_Mariner
May 31, 2017, 9:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
LJL played more games for Bury in League1 than that prior to us signing him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 103
Poojah
May 31, 2017, 9:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
LJL played more games for Bury in League1 than that prior to us signing him.

34 in League One. You need to go back a bit further than that.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 103
Swansea_Mariner
May 31, 2017, 9:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Derek niven at Chesterfield?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 103
Poojah
May 31, 2017, 9:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Derek niven at Chesterfield?

7, so not even close.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 103
Swansea_Mariner
May 31, 2017, 9:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Stockdale?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 103
Poojah
May 31, 2017, 10:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Stockdale?

Correct, all of 9 years ago. I know very little about Sam Kelly, but his recent career suggests he's up there with anything we've seen in the best part of a decade.

I hear what Port Vale fans have to say, but I think we might be pleasantly surprised by this lad.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 103
Swansea_Mariner
May 31, 2017, 10:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Phew that hurt my brain! I figured Niven had played more than that in league 1 then realised not the last two calendar seasons.  

Hopefully he will excel at this level, I just hope he's actually a winger and not another central player as this seems unclear presently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 103
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
May 31, 2017, 10:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Poojah

Correct, all of 9 years ago. I know very little about Sam Kelly, but his recent career suggests he's up there with anything we've seen in the best part of a decade.

I hear what Port Vale fans have to say, but I think we might be pleasantly surprised by this lad.

Well looking at his whole career including youth career, it suggest a very talented individual, who's either lacking something so far to bring his full potential to the pitch or port vale was the wrong team for him.

He started a cambridge youth product, then was poached by norwich, and then poached again by everton so must have been a really high potential youth player. Big ask obviously to make it at everton, was released. Trialed with rangers but rangers had no money, spent a short time in lower none league before norwich put him back in u21's. Then finally found a team to play professional football with at port vale.

We all know how hard it is to get chance as an english youth player at any level these days, but the way he was poached twice he must have some real talent. This is only his second chance at professional football and he might excel in a team thats not struggling. I hope so
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 103
forza ivano
May 31, 2017, 11:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265

Well looking at his whole career including youth career, it suggest a very talented individual, who's either lacking something so far to bring his full potential to the pitch or port vale was the wrong team for him.

He started a cambridge youth product, then was poached by norwich, and then poached again by everton so must have been a really high potential youth player. Big ask obviously to make it at everton, was released. Trialed with rangers but rangers had no money, spent a short time in lower none league before norwich put him back in u21's. Then finally found a team to play professional football with at port vale.

We all know how hard it is to get chance as an english youth player at any level these days, but the way he was poached twice he must have some real talent. This is only his second chance at professional football and he might excel in a team thats not struggling. I hope so

At this election time it's always excellent to hear a coherent alternative argument. I have to say I have been distinctly underwhelmed by the signings so far. Signings so far=Never had a pro contract, rejected by relegated clubs etc. Etc. I would've liked to have seen some really hungry young players unlucky to have been released by championship or league 1 clubs. At the moment these lads seem to be your atypical mid table div 2 players. I really really hope I'm wrong and that slade and wilko can transform these men. The evidence is probably against them though. Add them to the underwhelming berrett summer field mckeown Clements etc we have a mid table side. Collins is good but he's only a promotion winning player if he's surrounded by ten other of similar calibre.at the moment we don't have that quality ,only potential
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sam Kelly Signs (Merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.