7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
heppy88
May 14, 2017, 7:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
I was hoping FGR would win today. I know this won’t be popular with many of the Fishy (or anyone else to that matter) but I believe they deserve it.
Its often banded around that FGR don’t deserve league football, but I’ve always asked why?

Established in 1889 they are only 10 years younger than GTFC!
They have remained established in the conference/national league for 17 years.
Dale Vince has only been involved for 7 of the 17 years.
Yes, Dale has invested money in the club, but so what? The modern game relies on benefactors to support and invest in the clubs. Why is he different to any other chairman/owner of any other club? Lets face it, many of the clubs in the league are owned by foreign owners with little or no links to the area of the club.
Dale is a self-made businessman and millionaire. He has strong beliefs, ethics and principles and tries to run his interests likewise. He doesn’t follow the status quo and walks the talk. I think if all business men were remotely like this the country wouldn’t find itself in the mess its in now. Lets face it Football could do with a few principles at the minute!
He is highly respected by supporters, players and staff. More than one of the players today stated he is the best chairman they had played for.
Yes, the club have low attendances. Their supporters will be as passionate in support for their club as any other. But so what, should attendance ever be a factor deciding whether a club has the right to play league football? Hopefully we will climb the leagues over the coming years which will inevitably mean we will be the minnows, attendance wise. Should we not have a crack at the Championship/Premiership just because of lower than average support?
The club have a vision for the future and part of that is a new stadium which looks impressive. I hope that J.F takes some of the ideas and includes them in the design for our stadium. What would be wrong with a self-sustainable stadium? The council are trying to promote N. E. Lincolnshire as a hub for sustainable energy. What better than a sustainably run stadium with a company such as Dong Energy as a sponsor? If done right solar panels, LED lighting etc. could generate an income for the club.
FGR have made mistakes in the past. But what club hasnt?

Anyway, welcome FGR to the football league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner Ronnie
May 14, 2017, 7:12pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BD-7z0JCAAA1Orw.jpg:large[/img]

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 63
May 14, 2017, 7:15pm
Guest User
They belong in non league, with their thugs as stewards and their fake fans. When we take the same amount of fans to Notts County as they do to Wembley then this says it all for me.
Reply: 2 - 63
headingly_mariner
May 14, 2017, 7:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from heppy88
I was hoping FGR would win today. I know this won’t be popular with many of the Fishy (or anyone else to that matter) but I believe they deserve it.
Its often banded around that FGR don’t deserve league football, but I’ve always asked why?

Established in 1889 they are only 10 years younger than GTFC!
They have remained established in the conference/national league for 17 years.
Dale Vince has only been involved for 7 of the 17 years.
Yes, Dale has invested money in the club, but so what? The modern game relies on benefactors to support and invest in the clubs. Why is he different to any other chairman/owner of any other club? Lets face it, many of the clubs in the league are owned by foreign owners with little or no links to the area of the club.
Dale is a self-made businessman and millionaire. He has strong beliefs, ethics and principles and tries to run his interests likewise. He doesn’t follow the status quo and walks the talk. I think if all business men were remotely like this the country wouldn’t find itself in the mess its in now. Lets face it Football could do with a few principles at the minute!
He is highly respected by supporters, players and staff. More than one of the players today stated he is the best chairman they had played for.
Yes, the club have low attendances. Their supporters will be as passionate in support for their club as any other. But so what, should attendance ever be a factor deciding whether a club has the right to play league football? Hopefully we will climb the leagues over the coming years which will inevitably mean we will be the minnows, attendance wise. Should we not have a crack at the Championship/Premiership just because of lower than average support?
The club have a vision for the future and part of that is a new stadium which looks impressive. I hope that J.F takes some of the ideas and includes them in the design for our stadium. What would be wrong with a self-sustainable stadium? The council are trying to promote N. E. Lincolnshire as a hub for sustainable energy. What better than a sustainably run stadium with a company such as Dong Energy as a sponsor? If done right solar panels, LED lighting etc. could generate an income for the club.
FGR have made mistakes in the past. But what club hasnt?

Anyway, welcome FGR to the football league.

Hope they go straight back down. Another joke club that have allowed a wealthy twit to change their kit and urine about with their club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 63
Cloudy
May 14, 2017, 7:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
A fair % of Vince's money came on the back of government subsidies and FGR have had cumulative losses of over £10m on the back of crowds which barely top 1000.

Also paid agents over £200k in the past year. This is in non league ffs!!!

Essentially he has used government subsidies to finance his football club.

I cannot think how any sane person would say this is reasonable and certainly not worthy of praise
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 63
fleabag1970
May 14, 2017, 7:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
It's capitalism ffs . If you don't like it go live in Russia . Fair play to fgr

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 63
Hagrid
May 14, 2017, 7:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,393
Gold Stars: 534
Vince has said " it'll be easy for us now to get into league 1." What a helmet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 63
lukeo
May 14, 2017, 8:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
I don't like them but they're close to me so it's an extra game for me to go to! plus their is that added bit of spice with our history with them well done fgr I guess
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 63
Cayman_mariner
May 14, 2017, 8:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Hagrid

Saw that Hagrid and it annoyed me too. Can't stand that guy - hopefully he'll be about as accurate as he was with his promise to be champions this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 63
MuddyWaters
May 14, 2017, 8:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Hagrid

Swann has tried to do the same with Scunny and the Championship - helmet of similar proportion who needs to understand that you need a fanbase as well as money to build a proper club with a proper history.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 63
HertsGTFC
May 14, 2017, 8:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from fleabag1970

Why that's full of money grabbing bar stewards since the fall of the wall!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 63
GYinScuntland
May 14, 2017, 8:16pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
With a bit of luck we'll be at home to them last game of the season after they've already been relagated weeks before.
Town bury eight without reply to urine off the one FGR fan in attendance.
The team coach driver.
intercourse em.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 63
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 14, 2017, 8:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Swann has tried to do the same with Scunny and the Championship - helmet of similar proportion who needs to understand that you need a fanbase as well as money to build a proper club with a proper history.

He is getting them a new stadium though Codger.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 63
MuddyWaters
May 14, 2017, 8:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker

He is getting them a new stadium though Codger.

They've not used large parts of the last one!  
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 63
topuphere666
May 14, 2017, 8:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Inflatable away day coming up!
Blow up carrots all the way!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 63
MarinerWY
May 14, 2017, 9:01pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
inflatable away day it is. gutted they've gone up and not a proper club with a decent following.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 63
GrimRob
May 14, 2017, 9:02pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
They will and always will be tinpot in my eyes and don't belong in the Football League.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 63
LH
May 14, 2017, 9:16pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,509
Gold Stars: 173
One of the worst OPs I've ever read and I was on here when Rattray ruled supreme.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 63
chaos33
May 14, 2017, 9:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
They are the North Feriby of L2 , and I hope they get stuffed every week. Money isn't everything. I agree with Rob - absolutely tinpot and always will be.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 63
hampshiremariner
May 14, 2017, 9:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,056
Gold Stars: 35
"Vince has said " it'll be easy for us now to get into league 1."

Saw Vince interviewed before the second leg of the semi final and he was unbelievably cocky. L2 has been extremely competitive this year. How many teams could have made the play-offs? Town once looked as if they would and then, even after a bad run, they were still only a few points away!

Tranmere saved their worst performance of the season for today and were woeful at the back. McNulty was terrible, caught out so many times and left lunging at thin air. Forest Green don't have any support and how they will fill their new eco-stadium (if it happens) I do not know. Another Darlington (without the eco bit).

The remark that Mr Vince made will probably be pinned up in large letters on the doors of 23 dressing rooms when FG arrive. They have done nothing yet so should keep their mouths shut. I am afraid Eastleigh are a bit the same. Small club with money from a backer. I have a newspaper cutting from the Southampton Daily Echo pinned up in my office at home that goes back to the semi final two years ago, which has a banner headline, 'Bring on Grimsby: Spitfires ready to settle score against Mariners in play-offs'. I think they would have been best advised to keep their mouths shut. It gave me great pleasure we beat them so convincingly. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 63
Mariner_09
May 14, 2017, 9:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
At least we've got a decent record against them, so it's not all bad.

Frankly, I don't care what they do really, I'm confident that we can realistically fight for promotion next season. We need the right players, who will be brought in by a manager who knows the market well.

Forest Green will have to be careful as just throwing masses amounts of money at it will only get you so far.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 63
TownSNAFU5
May 14, 2017, 9:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,874
Gold Stars: 42
Besides everything else, one of their players fell to the ground today clutching his face.  He had been hit in the body.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 63
moosey_club
May 14, 2017, 10:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Mariner_09
At least we've got a decent record against them, so it's not all bad.

Frankly, I don't care what they do really, I'm confident that we can realistically fight for promotion next season. We need the right players, who will be brought in by a manager who knows the market well.

Forest Green will have to be careful as just throwing masses amounts of money at it will only get you so far.

i would think he may eye Fleetwood as some kind of example of how a small club can rise up. Cant stand him, forcing his vegan ways at the ground, his new stadium for the thousands of supporters they dont have, anti away support tendencies.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 63
KingstonMariner
May 14, 2017, 10:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from fleabag1970

That sort of statement ceased to make sense in 1991 when the Soviet Union collapsed.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 63
Skrill
May 14, 2017, 10:08pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Forest Green did deserve to go up in the final (despite their terrible time-wasting that was embarrassing to watch), since Tranmere's defence just gave up. It'll be hard for Tranmere with Hartlepool and Orient now in the conference and with Aldershot and Dagenham looking for promotion. Possibly these clubs will release what it was like to be in the wilderness for 6 years?

Next season League Two looks to be quite hilarious and balanced, from Forest Green to Lincoln which are rivalry fixtures and with Coventry, Swindon and Chesterfield looking to avoid further mishaps, expect an even more crazier, anyone can beat anyone League Two.      

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 63
KingstonMariner
May 14, 2017, 10:21pm
Meths Drinker
The sustainable thing for Vince to do would have been to buy a club like Gloucester City. One already based in a town or city. One with public transport and a sizeable population. Something that served a community.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 63
ginnywings
May 14, 2017, 10:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,124
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from KingstonMariner
The sustainable thing for Vince to do would have been to buy a club like Gloucester City. One already based in a town or city. One with public transport and a sizeable population. Something that served a community.

But it had to be a team with the word 'green' in their name, so he was somewhat stymied.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 63
geir
May 14, 2017, 11:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Forest Green made one of the headlines in national media in Norway today. The headline was: "Worlds first Vegan-club ready for the league".
You can see it here: https://www.nrk.no/sport/oko-klubben-inn-i-ligaen-1.13516690
The article also tell us that: – "This is the first step in taking the club to the Championship," Dale Vince said before the match against Tranmere at Wembley.
The article ends with this rather pleasing comment: The club were were in the play-off final last year, but lost for Grimsby.

Just to let you know!

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 63
Nelly GTFC
May 15, 2017, 1:32am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,736
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I reckon if Gloucester City got their act together and get on with building their new ground, they would have more potential fanbase than the Village Idiots with nearly 130,000 living there. The Gloucester Rugby team have a 16,000 seater stadium, it would make more sense to groundshare with them. I noticed Gloucester aren't ground sharing with Cheltenham now, maybe Whaddon Road will be in a better state next season.
Quoted from GrimRob
They will and always will be tinpot in my eyes and don't belong in the Football League.
Hope we stuff Chesterfield as well as the Village Idiots, I remember someone saying a similar thing about us about a year ago on their forums lol.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 63
Mrs Doyle
May 15, 2017, 4:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Well at least it will shut those wannabe scoucers up they need some more therapy thought they would bounce straight back up mocked us. So feck um.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 63
gary_elton
May 15, 2017, 6:53am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
First match next season please... away..... 😀

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
crusty ole pie
May 15, 2017, 7:45am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,326
Gold Stars: 66
Hope they get Leeds in one of the cups now that would really test the capabilities of both the ground and the stewards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 63
rancido
May 15, 2017, 7:47am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
I know this won't go down well judging by previous posts but good luck to them. I have never seen so much arrogance and envy directed at one club from so many posters. If we had an owner who was using his company to finance the club we would think it was great. In a way it is only like companies sponsoring a club to promote their products. We have brewing companies sponsoring teams and competitions but this goes against the principles of Methodists and Muslims but it doesn't prevent them from supporting their teams. You might not agree with his vegan ways but they are his principles and he sticks by them. The world of football clubs is full of eccentric owners but why deny the fans of those clubs the opportunity for success based on the behaviour of their owners. Owners come and go but the clubs are a constant and as the original poster pointed out FGR is only ten years younger than us and older than a lot of " traditional established " football clubs.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 63
HertsGTFC
May 15, 2017, 7:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
What does concern me is that for next season at least the 2 clubs that have come up potentially have more financial resources than we do.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
Mallyner
May 15, 2017, 8:42am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
With a population as small as theirs, let us hope if the money runs out, they will be able to make ends 'meat.'  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
Mariners_15
May 15, 2017, 9:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Just out of interest how will the financial fair play stuff affect them? Haven't they been making some really big losses and I'm sure in the FL you can only spend so much on wages depending on the income. They average just over 2k don't they so surely they're in trouble? Might not be able to chuck money at it like they have the last 5 years or so..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 63
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 15, 2017, 9:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Gregor Robertson has this to say in today's Times.

Forest Green Rovers, the Football league’s newest member, may be the smallest of the 92 but they are a club bristling with zeal and ambition. Their thrilling win over Tranmere Rovers in the National League play-off final at Wembley yesterday was graced with goals worthy of this or any level, in what was a reverse of last year’s scoreline against Grimsby Town in the same final.

As the Forest Green players held aloft the trophy in the royal box, their 3,000 fans in bright green roared with delight — half the population of Nailsworth, in Gloucestershire, home to their solar powered, eco-friendly, all-vegan football club.

“I’m really chuffed for the chairman because he’s a wonderful guy,” Mark Cooper, the manager, said. “He’s not your conventional chairman but he’s so good to work for. And that was the reason I came here: he gave me the opportunity to have full control of the football side and I’ve never had that.”

Dale Vince, the owner, is certainly not one to follow convention. The owner of Ecotricity, a green energy business, is a self-professed “hippy drop-out” with a fortune of more than £100 million, took over the moribund club in 2010. He was given special dispensation to sit in the royal box without a tie yesterday afternoon, such is his dislike of formal attire.

Football League chairmen may have to relax their rules for boardroom entry next season, and their visits to the New Lawn will be a new experience too. The all-vegan catering at the club and the sight of a solar-powered “mow-bot” lawnmower may leave a few rubbing their eyes.

They are all part of Vince’s vision of creating the world’s most environmentally friendly club, and he is not short of ambition. A brand new carbon-neutral stadium built from ethically sourced wood is on the way to be the centrepiece of the £100 million, 100-acre Eco Park development at junction 13 of the M5. Their attendances may only average 1,800, but there is hope that as the club grow so will their following.

Forest Green finished nine points behind Tranmere Rovers in the National League but, on yesterday’s evidence, they are well deserving of taking their football and Vince’s message to a bigger stage. The deadlock was broken in the 11th minute through the outstanding Kaiyne Woolery; the Wigan Athletic loanee drifted in from the right and with time and space fired a fierce left-footed strike in to the bottom corner from 25 yards out.

Ten minutes later, however, Tranmere were level with another goal worthy of this arena. When James Jennings controlled Lois Maynard’s layoff 20 yards from goal, the ball sat up perfectly and his half-volley rocketed into the roof of the net to send 15,000 supporters from the Wirral wild.

There were further chances in a half full of attacking effort; James Norwood, the Tranmere forward, perhaps had the best but his shot was hit straight at Sam Russell after he was sent clean through with only the Forest Green goalkeeper to beat.

At the other end, Keanu Marsh-Brown controlled a beautifully weighted pass by Liam Noble before lobbing Scott Davies, but the Tranmere goalkeeper somehow recovered to swipe the ball off the line. Norwood was inches from meeting Jennings’s cross along the six-yard line before a third bolt from the blue arrived in the 41st minute.

Christian Doidge, the striker, collected the ball on the left, drifted inside and struck a bullet in to the far corner for his 27th of the season.

FOREST GREEN FACTS
Population of Nailsworth — the smallest place with a Football League club
Capacity of the New Lawn — their home ground. They have plans to move to a new stadium, a £100 million development with 90 eco-homes close to the M5
Successive seasons in the fifth tier of the pyramid
£107m
Estimated worth of Dale Vince, the owner who has funded their rise to the Football League
£25,000
Record transfer fee that they paid to Bury for Adrian Randall in 1999
Two minutes later, Tranmere were left with a mountain to climb. Liam Ridehalgh miscontrolled to allow Woolery to steal in and coolly slot past Davies for his second of the half.

Tranmere rallied early in the second half: Cole Stockton was denied by Russell’s brilliant save from a Jeff Hughes corner; then, the striker let Russell off the hook after the goalkeeper tried to beat two players on the edge of his penalty area. But on the turn, Stockton could only lift the ball over the empty goal.

“I thought we were brilliant today, the young players were really mature,” Cooper, the former Peterborough United and Swindon Town manager, said. “It is an unbelievable achievement to put a village team in the Football League. People talk about the lack of fans, but you’ve got to remember we’re on the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere.”

For Tranmere, however, a third season in non-League beckons. Micky Mellon, the manager, rued the “killer” third goal before the break but was magnanimous in defeat. “On the day, I totally believe that the better team won; we have to take our medicine for that,” he said. “Every credit to Forest Green. We feel for the supporters, though, it’s no place for runners-up.”

Cooper confirmed that there would definitely be room in the vegan ethos for several celebratory beers. Coventry City, Notts County and Swindon will be welcomed at The New Lawn next season. “Get ’em up that hill,” Cooper said.

I'm not passing comment on Gregor's analysis of the game but as for the club, I suspect they are a legend in their own cow pat.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 63
diehardmariner
May 15, 2017, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,609
Gold Stars: 538
Don't quite get the 'they're too tin pot for the league' thinking.  

Yes they're relatively poorly suppported but since when did football become about how many fans you've got rather than best performing over a season, or indeed on the day?

Burton average just over 10% of what Newcastle have done in the Championship and just over half of the next lowest supported side, are they undeserving of their place in that league?  

Bournemouth in the top flight get gates that should put them in the lower reaches of the Championship/Top 7 of League One, albeit somewhat hampered by their stadium capacity.  But they were bankrolled by a rich benefactor as they were promoted from the Championship - just like FGR who shouldn't be able to compete on revenue alone.  The football ladder is full of sides who rely on money from a sugar daddy, or even by not paying their bills in the first place.  

Much, much closer to home, Town's home gates were absolutely urine poor in what is now the Championship for many a year as we bloodied the nose of the far better supported sides like Wolves, West Brom, Derby etc.  For a couple of years we were, in my opinion, a striker to support Super Clive away from having a promotion side. We had a really, really good side.  Thankfully we were placed in the league at end of the season based on that rather than our gates.  

Vince is a total tool but he's going to be in great company in the Football League as there's a host of them running football clubs...
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
Grim74
May 15, 2017, 10:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
sorry but this vegan bigot is gonna turn football into a laughing stock he's set a precedent now and I'm sure we'll have more of these rich tree huggers to follow. Forgetting the premiership, league football is still working class just about, and it's about the only thing that some of our shithole towns have to shout about. What's next Caistor town? they might have a club that's over 100 years old for all I know so would it right with a rich benefactor that they could potentially replace a traditional league club? No is it bollox.

I'm all for a small non league teams reaching the dream of league football on merit with the likes of Fleetwood, Stevenage, Accrington, Morecombe and lincoln no problem, but how can we have a situation when poxy little villages teams can replace our traditional clubs I know it's not all about attendances but it is about large communities as a whole, I think to be a league club should now be based on towns population say at least 50/60 thousand.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
diehardmariner
May 15, 2017, 11:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,609
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Grim74
sorry but this vegan bigot is gonna turn football into a laughing stock he's set a precedent now and I'm sure we'll have more of these rich tree huggers to follow. Forgetting the premiership, league football is still working class just about, and it's about the only thing that some of our shithole towns have to shout about. What's next Caistor town? they might have a club that's over 100 years old for all I know so would it right with a rich benefactor that they could potentially replace a traditional league club? No is it bollox.

I'm all for a small non league teams reaching the dream of league football on merit with the likes of Fleetwood, Stevenage, Accrington, Morecombe and lincoln no problem, but how can we have a situation when poxy little villages teams can replace our traditional clubs I know it's not all about attendances but it is about large communities as a whole, I think to be a league club should now be based on towns population say at least 50/60 thousand.

Fleetwood were in the North West Premier when Andy Pilley took over about thirteen years ago.  He's bankrolled them to about eight promotions since.  

FGR were at least an established Conference side by the time Vince took over, Pilley just used his vast resources far better than Vince has.  

If a team has won enough games to be promoted it deserves their place in the ladder, equally so if a team loses enough games it deserves to go down - irrespective of size, population and history.  If we're going down this path we might as well just look at a list of the best populated cities and towns in the country each weekend and not bother with the charade of a season at all.  Surely the appeal of football is the fact that it's 11 v 11 come game day and whilst resources (including fanbase) have an impact, it's what happens in the 90 minutes that count really?
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 15, 2017, 11:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Fleetwood were in the North West Premier when Andy Pilley took over about thirteen years ago.  He's bankrolled them to about eight promotions since.  

FGR were at least an established Conference side by the time Vince took over, Pilley just used his vast resources far better than Vince has.  

If a team has won enough games to be promoted it deserves their place in the ladder, equally so if a team loses enough games it deserves to go down - irrespective of size, population and history.  If we're going down this path we might as well just look at a list of the best populated cities and towns in the country each weekend and not bother with the charade of a season at all.  Surely the appeal of football is the fact that it's 11 v 11 come game day and whilst resources (including fanbase) have an impact, it's what happens in the 90 minutes that count really?

Yes we can say that. We relish the David v Goliath games don't we?

The question is more about origins I think. Clubs that are traditional have their roots in a community and it is basically that community that gives rise to the club and winds it up through the leagues. So yes, we can say FGR had a tiny club community base and deserved the plaudits for reaching what we might call the acme of its development - promotion to the 5th tier. We could say much the same about Fleetwood who only gained a sugar daddy when he couldn't get Blackpool.

From there on, the story changes and has more in common with MK Dons. Both Fleetwood and FGR are effectively franchises. There is a thin line between the Walkers of Blackburn, the Haywards of Wolves, the Fentys of Grimsby and these two backers but I think it is there and quite distinctly. These blokes don't love the club or the community, they are in love with the idea of adulation for somehow producing a miracle from nothing.

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
psgmariner
May 15, 2017, 11:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Wrexham now have the dubious honour of being in the Conference the longest. Poor buggers.

I find it hard to dislike FGR that much. All clubs overspend including our own. I also don't like the idea that attendances should dictate your place in the pyramid.

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
FishOutOfWater
May 15, 2017, 1:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Cayman_mariner

Saw that Hagrid and it annoyed me too. Can't stand that guy - hopefully he'll be about as accurate as he was with his promise to be champions this year.

He also vowed to his bride " 'til death us do part" ....look how that came back to bite him!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 63
HackneyHaddock
May 15, 2017, 9:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Hope they get Leeds in one of the cups now that would really test the capabilities of both the ground and the stewards

If that happened, Stale Mince would be getting his ground handed back to him in a skip.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
KingstonMariner
May 15, 2017, 10:35pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

If that happened, Stale Mince would be getting his ground handed back to him in a skip.

Remembering what happened when we played them in 82 and what happened to the Findus, he should invite Leeds down for the last match at the New Lawn. Save a fortune on dismantling costs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
codcheeky
May 16, 2017, 8:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Well done to them, they deserve it, I always enjoy going there, don't really understand the bitterness
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
Jaws
May 16, 2017, 9:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Hopefully they'll be straight back down
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
wigworld
May 16, 2017, 11:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from codcheeky
Well done to them, they deserve it, I always enjoy going there, don't really understand the bitterness

One of the pleasures of promotion was we'd get a good few away supporters in the away end, for a better atmosphere and more money in the till at BP.
At least Hartlepool and Orient brought a few.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 47 - 63
Civvy at last
May 16, 2017, 12:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from wigworld

One of the pleasures of promotion was we'd get a good few away supporters in the away end, for a better atmosphere and more money in the till at BP.
At least Hartlepool and Orient brought a few.

If we can get the gimps at home before their bubble bursts they might just actually make up for that !!!!

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
TheCodfather1966
May 16, 2017, 1:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
Excellent post by Heppy, totally agree with your sentiments.  Dale Vince is a man of high integrity, morals and values.  Is that a reason to attack FGR as a football club.....  He is passionate about animals, wildlife,and the environment, but hang on, in Grimsby fans eyes that makes him some kind of freak does it...... for actually caring about the planet.  Like the original poster, I fully welcome FGR into league football, the attitude of a lot of Grimsby fans on here is pathetic.  I would swap our Chairman for Dale Vince in a heartbeat.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
Kris2
May 16, 2017, 1:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
Excellent post by Heppy, totally agree with your sentiments.  Dale Vince is a man of high integrity, morals and values.  Is that a reason to attack FGR as a football club.....  He is passionate about animals, wildlife,and the environment, but hang on, in Grimsby fans eyes that makes him some kind of freak does it...... for actually caring about the planet.  Like the original poster, I fully welcome FGR into league football, the attitude of a lot of Grimsby fans on here is pathetic.  I would swap our Chairman for Dale Vince in a heartbeat.

UTM

You can paint it in a positive light but he's essentially another self righteous vegan who feels he needs to push his own values on others by forcing them to accept them literally. Vegan options only in the ground and for the players. A team bought and made a franchise just because they have "green" in the name it's not about the team or the fanbase they have it's all about Dale Vince and his vegan holier than thou show. That's why he's wanting to build an eco friendly stadium and wants to add more solar powered lawnmowers. You can be a rich hippy all you want but don't force feed people what you believe.

That doesn't make him a freak but looking like a character from Emmerdale does.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 63
LH
May 16, 2017, 1:49pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,509
Gold Stars: 173
Rocking up at Wembley in his mum's shirt makes him a bit of a freak.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
majestic tees
May 16, 2017, 2:33pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: -2
Personally, I find Dale Vince a thoughtful and principled man; his heart is in the right place, the players all seem to like him and there's nothing wrong with creating an environmentally sustainable football ground. No one is forcing supporters - home or away - to eat there. Plenty of pubs around in the Stroud area. As for size of support, we hate it when 'bigger' clubs look down on us. Yes, Vince subsidises FGR, but that applies to many owners across all the leagues. Time to be a little more open minded, I think.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
MuddyWaters
May 16, 2017, 2:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Excellent post by Heppy, totally agree with your sentiments.  Dale Vince is a man of high integrity, morals and values.  Is that a reason to attack FGR as a football club.....  He is passionate about animals, wildlife,and the environment, but hang on, in Grimsby fans eyes that makes him some kind of freak does it...... for actually caring about the planet.  Like the original poster, I fully welcome FGR into league football, the attitude of a lot of Grimsby fans on here is pathetic. I would swap our Chairman for Dale Vince in a heartbeat.

UTM

As we haven't got a Chairman, that would be difficult.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
Mariner_09
May 16, 2017, 3:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I wouldn't want that prat as our chairman in a month of Sundays! He's a self aggrandising, self-obsessed, self-righteous, sanctimonious, pompous, arrogant so far up his own bottom it's untrue. He makes an allegedly organic club totally financially unsustainable when he gets bored. He has got a club that loses £2.5m a year to the league and removed enjoyment for fans by force feeding his own veggie munching views on us by banning meat! I can't stand FGR or their prat of a chairman!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
TheCodfather1966
May 16, 2017, 4:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
I can think of another Chairman who fits into that description, he lives closer though,,,,,,,,,,

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 63
MuddyWaters
May 16, 2017, 4:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I can think of another Chairman who fits into that description, he lives closer though,,,,,,,,,,

UTM

Nothing like the description. He sold fish and banned flasks and flags.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
pizzzza
May 16, 2017, 7:02pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from majestic tees
Personally, I find Dale Vince a thoughtful and principled man; his heart is in the right place, the players all seem to like him and there's nothing wrong with creating an environmentally sustainable football ground. No one is forcing supporters - home or away - to eat there. Plenty of pubs around in the Stroud area. As for size of support, we hate it when 'bigger' clubs look down on us. Yes, Vince subsidises FGR, but that applies to many owners across all the leagues. Time to be a little more open minded, I think.  

Welcome to The Fishy Dale.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 63
Grim74
May 16, 2017, 7:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Quoted from majestic tees

intercourse off Dale you bigot I want a steak and kidney pie when I watch the football.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
gtfc82
May 16, 2017, 8:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Does anyone know how many 'fans' Veggie Green had at the match?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 63
MuddyWaters
May 16, 2017, 8:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from gtfc82
Does anyone know how many 'fans' Veggie Green had at the match?

Less than Clee Town are taking.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 63
barrattstandman
May 16, 2017, 8:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
2816 I believe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 63
Marinerz93
May 17, 2017, 11:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
When we go to Vegan FC we should take sausage rolls in and throw them at the directors box where he sits in his mums Hawaiian shirt.

Hey Dale

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ofYFsNt.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 63
KingstonMariner
May 17, 2017, 11:14pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barrattstandman
2816 I believe

So the extra 1000 last year were only there to see the Grimsby  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 63
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Welcome FGR

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.