Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › contracts update and latest
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 223 Guests

contracts update and latest

This thread currently has 46,573 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
May 11, 2017, 1:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,650
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from rancido

I must admit that if this is the way that RS is looking to building a " promotion winning " squad then I think we will be disappointed next season and Slade will continue to be " the nearly man "!

Because of one player from a squad that will be about 22/23 strong? Bit of an over-reaction. Besides, he hasn't even signed anything yet. He's still in negotiations and my bet is that he's being offered considerably reduced terms.

It's always good to have a few older and experienced heads around. We've still got Vernon but right now we don't know if we'll keep Collins. I think in an ideal world RS would have liked to have kept Disley around but he's a victim of the poor centre mid recruitment from PH at the start of the season, handing out two year contracts to very mediocre players. As it stands we will have Berrett, Summerfield, McAllister, Osborne, Clements, Sam Jones and Clifton and I would be very surprised if RS doesn't want someone with more athleticism on top of that which would leave us with 8 central midfielders. If we'd kept Disley it would have been 9. Even if you're playing with a midfield three you'd still have at least three of them out of the match day squad each game. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Berrett and Summerfield have been told they are free to look elsewhere but until or if they find somewhere else it would be a risky use of the budget to re-sign another centre midfielder, particularly one who is unlikely to be playing week in and week out. So as sad as it is, it makes sense from a pragmatic point of view.

Ben Davies has a lot of experience and has experience at a higher level than anyone else in the squad other than Collins who may or may not be here next season. I imagine that RS probably sees this experience as valuable for a squad that is relatively young and inexperienced in the FL and with the pragmatic reasons for releasing Disley and Collins future uncertain that leaves Vernon and Davies as experienced veterans. He's also not a bad player. He started the season well but got injured and was then left exposed at wing back by Bignot's lack of tactical nous. He's also unlikely to be starting ahead of Mills and how many L2 squads have a back up right back who is significantly better than Ben Davies? Not many if any. As previously stated, he's also not signed anything yet and I'd be amazed if he hasn't been offered reduced terms to free up more budget.

To suggest that the re-signing of one player who actually isn't too bad when fit and is most likely just experienced cover is indicative of next season being a failure is ridiculous. We came fourth in 2006 with a squad that included such greats as Glen Downey, Terry Barwick and Tony Crane so I hardly see Ben Davies as reason enough on his own to suggest we'll fail to go up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 180
Superdan147
May 11, 2017, 9:18am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from mariner91

Because of one player from a squad that will be about 22/23 strong? Bit of an over-reaction. Besides, he hasn't even signed anything yet. He's still in negotiations and my bet is that he's being offered considerably reduced terms.

It's always good to have a few older and experienced heads around. We've still got Vernon but right now we don't know if we'll keep Collins. I think in an ideal world RS would have liked to have kept Disley around but he's a victim of the poor centre mid recruitment from PH at the start of the season, handing out two year contracts to very mediocre players. As it stands we will have Berrett, Summerfield, McAllister, Osborne, Clements, Sam Jones and Clifton and I would be very surprised if RS doesn't want someone with more athleticism on top of that which would leave us with 8 central midfielders. If we'd kept Disley it would have been 9. Even if you're playing with a midfield three you'd still have at least three of them out of the match day squad each game. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Berrett and Summerfield have been told they are free to look elsewhere but until or if they find somewhere else it would be a risky use of the budget to re-sign another centre midfielder, particularly one who is unlikely to be playing week in and week out. So as sad as it is, it makes sense from a pragmatic point of view.

Ben Davies has a lot of experience and has experience at a higher level than anyone else in the squad other than Collins who may or may not be here next season. I may imagine that RS probably sees this experience as valuable for a squad that is relatively young and inexperienced in the FL and with the pragmatic reasons for releasing Disley and Collins future uncertain that leaves Vernon and Davies as experienced veterans. He's also not a bad player. He started the season well but got injured and was then left exposed at wing back by Bignot's lack of tactical nous. He's also unlikely to be starting ahead of Mills and how many L2 squads have a back up right back who is significantly better than Ben Davies? Not many if any. As previously stated, he's also not signed anything yet and I'd be amazed if he hasn't been offered reduced terms to free up more budget.

To suggest that the re-signing of one player who actually isn't too bad when fit and is most likely just experienced cover is indicative of next season being a failure is ridiculous. We came fourth in 2006 with a squad that included such greats as Glen Downey, Terry Barwick and Tony Crane so I hardly see Ben Davies as reason enough on his own to suggest we'll fail to go up.

Excellent post this mariner91 and couldn't agree more. He actually played really well against Plymouth who were top of the league and looked good early season, like I say he was exposed in bignots tactics and had injury problems too. We was all raving about him as a fantastic signing last summer! Excellent squad player to have IMO and no better competition/cover for mills. If we get a really good winger that could be a fantastic partnership! Whether it be mills or davies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 180
sam gy
May 11, 2017, 10:07am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from rancido

I think it would be a bad move if we retained Ben Davies. He may have a lot of experience but I think he's too old to be a potent force at right back. It makes even less sense with the release of Dizzy who would be more of an asset than Davies.

With regards to Mills , surely he is still contracted to us for another season so Shrewsbury would need to be given permission to talk to him and a few would be required. I would rather get rid of Davies and offer Mills a revised contract to keep him with us for at least another season beyond his existing contract. Mills is the future and Davies is the past.

I must admit that if this is the way that RS is looking to building a " promotion winning " squad then I think we will be disappointed next season and Slade will continue to be " the nearly man "!

Davies is more than capable at right back, and would be a brilliant 'back up' right back at this level. Given the fact that Mills was injured for a while at the beginning of the season, and has now been injured for a few weeks at the end, and has had injury problems in the past, i'd suggest it's a great idea to have a back up in that position in the mould of Davies, who has reached heights in his career that few of our current team will ever do (no offence intended to them).

He's also an experienced head who can be brought on to bring calm in the second half if we're defending a lead. If we're 2-1 up with 15 minutes to go, i'd feel much safer if RS, for example, takes Bolarinwa off and brings on Davies. Additionally, having that experienced head, with a great pedigree, can be very important on the training ground and generally within the club too.

Obviously he's based local too, and i imagine won't be commanding a huge wage at this point in his career. Comparing him to Disley is ridiculous, when they play different positions.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 180
HertsGTFC
May 11, 2017, 3:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from mariner91

Ben Davies has a lot of experience and has experience at a higher level than anyone else in the squad other than Collins who may or may not be here next season. I imagine that RS probably sees this experience as valuable for a squad that is relatively young and inexperienced in the FL and with the pragmatic reasons for releasing Disley and Collins future uncertain that leaves Vernon and Davies as experienced veterans. He's also not a bad player. He started the season well but got injured and was then left exposed at wing back by Bignot's lack of tactical nous. He's also unlikely to be starting ahead of Mills and how many L2 squads have a back up right back who is significantly better than Ben Davies? Not many if any. As previously stated, he's also not signed anything yet and I'd be amazed if he hasn't been offered reduced terms to free up more budget.

Great post, we may be building for promotion but it may not necessarily next  season.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 180
Mariner_09
May 11, 2017, 6:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Someone said the other day that RS has been given a big budget this year, is there any truth in this and also if true surely we stand a better chance of keeping DC and DA.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 180
Garth
May 11, 2017, 6:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
According to their forum Hurst is interested in almost all of our defence, knowing Hurst no one will know until the contracts are signed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 180
Mariner_09
May 11, 2017, 7:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
I'd be surprised if he wanted Pearson, he barely played earlier in the season when Hurst was here! Collins is debatable, maybe difficult for him to go up a level at that stage in his career.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 180
Cloudy
May 20, 2017, 8:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Anyone else hearing Dembele signed a couple of weeks ago??
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 180
Mariner93er
May 20, 2017, 8:42am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Someone started a thread saying we were attempting to sign him but then nothing's been said for a while. If we do have him, it'll be interesting to see how he performs considering he's coming from a special academy, not a club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 180
Bradford Mariner
May 20, 2017, 8:43am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Cloudy
Anyone else hearing Dembele signed a couple of weeks ago??

Not heard any names but I was told over a week ago that we'd got a striker, midfielder and central defender to sign.

Time will tell I guess

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 180
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › contracts update and latest

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.