Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 9, 2017, 1:11am
As its now officially tuesday im gonna start a post where all the latest outgoings and contract offers can be made in one place.

Having looked at the contract situation here
http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202

The situation doesnt look as bad as it seems. If all the loan players go back and before re-signing anyone our contracted players for next year stands at 15 which includes Akeem Rose (youth).

3/4 of those maybe convinced very easily to cut short there contract - i.e. Rhys Browne, luke summerfield, mckeown and a.n.other.

Already this starts us at just 11 and if we were to re-sign andrew, pearson and collins we have 14.

Expected squad size for next season should be around 23 which means at least 9 new first team players at the very least could still make there way here in the summer.

Gonna be one of the most exciting but upsetting summers for years, especially as i predict that Dis and others we love may be leaving us.

Watch this space but roll on any news....
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, May 9, 2017, 7:04am; Reply: 1

not a signing but Calum Dyson scored last night for Everton u23s; played the last half hour in their final game of the season.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 9, 2017, 8:12am; Reply: 2
He said that he's be very happy to come back for a full season, I wouldn't mind that either, he's a good prospect, he'll develop well I reckon.
Posted by: psgmariner, May 9, 2017, 11:55am; Reply: 3
Is today the players get told then?
Posted by: Simariner, May 9, 2017, 11:58am; Reply: 4
We should hear news from 12pm.

So I'd guess something within the hour.
Posted by: Maringer, May 9, 2017, 12:03pm; Reply: 5
Though Dyson will undoubtedly develop further as he gets older, I'm not convinced he's yet good enough to lead the line for a team looking to win promotion next season. Wouldn't be great for him if he was to sign again just to end up mostly warming the bench next season. Better than playing non-competitive football back at Everton, I suppose. This assumes he will re-sign for them, of course.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), May 9, 2017, 12:04pm; Reply: 6
I'm pretty sure that I heard RS say after the match on Saturday that an announcement about players coming/going would be more than likely Wednesday, as they would be talking to all the players individually on Tuesday.
Posted by: Garth, May 9, 2017, 12:32pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from 123614
I'm pretty sure that I heard RS say after the match on Saturday that an announcement about players coming/going would be more than likely Wednesday, as they would be talking to all the players individually on Tuesday.

Players tweet
Posted by: marinerrick, May 9, 2017, 12:35pm; Reply: 8
OS has set up a D-Day feed aswell
[url]http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/who-is-in-who-will-be-leaving-the-club-3711326.aspx[/url]
Posted by: Trickytrev, May 9, 2017, 12:36pm; Reply: 9
The latest from club .- http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/who-is-in-who-will-be-leaving-the-club-3711326.aspx

I thought MB said that the three youngsters  Harry Clifton, Josh Venney, and Max Wright where already signed up for next season?
Posted by: Hagrid, May 9, 2017, 12:45pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Trickytrev
The latest from club .- http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/who-is-in-who-will-be-leaving-the-club-3711326.aspx

I thought MB said that the three youngsters  Harry Clifton, Josh Venney, and Max Wright where already signed up for next season?

he said a lot of things, mostly a load of shite
Posted by: Cloudy, May 9, 2017, 12:52pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Trickytrev

He did and when pressed he confirmed it again. Shows the calibre of the man
Posted by: bax, May 9, 2017, 1:06pm; Reply: 12
I believe they have options the club can pick up should it choose to.
Posted by: Heisenberg, May 9, 2017, 1:09pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from bax
I believe they have options the club can pick up should it choose to.

I hope I'm wrong for the lad, but I'd imagine that Venney will be released.  Too many midfielders in the squad (down to Hurst signing average ones on 2 year deals, and Bignot not knowing when to stop his experiments), and Clifton seems to be the potential shining light.  I hope he stays on and gets a chance, but I'm not so sure it'll happen........
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 9, 2017, 1:34pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Hagrid

he said a lot of things, mostly a load of shite

The trouble was you did not LISTEN    ;D
Posted by: gtfc98, May 9, 2017, 2:33pm; Reply: 15
Anyone else think the D-Day headline shows a lack of taste? This is the players livelihoods they're discussing today not who we draw in the next round of the League Cup.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 9, 2017, 2:52pm; Reply: 16
Having recently found myself out of work I sympathise and know what some of these people will be feeling today. They may earn a bit more than me but they still have a mortgage to pay and a family to provide for.

I wish everyone who is let go the best of luck and thank them for their time at GTFC.
Posted by: Cloudy, May 9, 2017, 3:05pm; Reply: 17
To be fair footballers are essentially self-employed, moving from job to job. No different in that respect to many others
Posted by: Heisenberg, May 9, 2017, 3:12pm; Reply: 18
I am dreading hearing on here that Shaun Pearson is leaving.  I hope the rumours are not true,  I didn't agree with Craig Clay being released last season, but this would be much, much worse, and almost universally disliked among Town fans.  I have my fingers crossed that he stays, it would have to be one hell of a player to bring in as his replacement..........
Posted by: Mikoo, May 9, 2017, 3:34pm; Reply: 19
Gowling released
Posted by: Hagrid, May 9, 2017, 3:39pm; Reply: 20
Best of Luck Josh, for everything
Posted by: ginnywings, May 9, 2017, 3:41pm; Reply: 21
No surprise there. Thought he was a really good player for us and i wish him well.

Thanks Josh and good luck.
Posted by: pizzzza, May 9, 2017, 3:42pm; Reply: 22
Dis gone  :o
Posted by: Fat Cobra, May 9, 2017, 3:42pm; Reply: 23
Forgot he was still here
Posted by: ginnywings, May 9, 2017, 3:44pm; Reply: 24
Yeah, looks like Dis gone too.

No more left to say about him than thank you very much Craig and the very best of luck to you. Will always be welcome here.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 9, 2017, 3:44pm; Reply: 25
somone on fb saying andrew is leaving, prob to peterborough
Posted by: ginnywings, May 9, 2017, 3:45pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from forza ivano

Wouldn't surprise me. Lives down that way doesn't he?
Posted by: Grim74, May 9, 2017, 3:47pm; Reply: 27
All the best Dis thanks for the last 6 years.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 9, 2017, 3:50pm; Reply: 28
good luck dis. hero
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, May 9, 2017, 3:54pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from forza ivano

Whats fb? :o

Posted by: bobbyturtle, May 9, 2017, 3:54pm; Reply: 30
Thanks dis
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 9, 2017, 3:55pm; Reply: 31
Oh if it's on Facebook, it must be true! Haha
Posted by: forza ivano, May 9, 2017, 4:04pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ginnywings

Wouldn't surprise me. Lives down that way doesn't he?

that was used to back up the rumour, apparently he comes from holbeach, was living barton but has moved back down to boston area
Posted by: malkamalka, May 9, 2017, 4:10pm; Reply: 33
Are they being a bit slow releasing the news? Thought GT would have had a live feed. Maybe they know something we don't.
Posted by: Garth, May 9, 2017, 4:27pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from malkamalka
Are they being a bit slow releasing the news? Thought GT would have had a live feed. Maybe they know something we don't.

Nothing is quicker than Twitter today, much to the annoyance of the paid media
Posted by: Spidey, May 9, 2017, 4:35pm; Reply: 35
Seen a tweet posted elsewhere from Dyson, saying thanks for the last 4 months. Not sure if it's genuine.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 9, 2017, 4:38pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Spidey
Seen a tweet posted elsewhere from Dyson, saying thanks for the last 4 months. Not sure if it's genuine.

That was on Sunday

https://twitter.com/Calum_Dyson9/status/861234480547319810
Posted by: Spidey, May 9, 2017, 4:53pm; Reply: 37
Oohh didn't know that!
Posted by: Spidey, May 9, 2017, 4:57pm; Reply: 38
Not sure how to interpret that tweet. Has Town said he's not wanted, did Everton want him back or is he just saying thanks in case he's not asked back!
Posted by: malkamalka, May 9, 2017, 4:58pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He's gone back because their U23's still have games left. Think Slade said he was in contact with Joe Royle about him, so maybe he could be back next season.
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, May 9, 2017, 4:58pm; Reply: 40
His loan deal ended. Played and scored for Everton U23's last night!
Posted by: Meza, May 9, 2017, 7:12pm; Reply: 41
So is that it then.  Out of all the talks with players only 2 released as confirmed by twitter.  Does that mean new deals offered to Pears and Collins🤔
Posted by: Davec, May 9, 2017, 8:00pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Meza
So is that it then.  Out of all the talks with players only 2 released as confirmed by twitter.  Does that mean new deals offered to Pears and Collins🤔

Does that mean Dan Jones and Gavin Gunning have been offered new deals? ;)
Posted by: Mikoo, May 9, 2017, 8:00pm; Reply: 43
Dan Jones gone
Posted by: Meza, May 9, 2017, 8:02pm; Reply: 44
Gunning will go i reckon.  
Posted by: Cloudy, May 9, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 45
Ashley Chambers gone too
Posted by: Mikoo, May 9, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 46
Chambers appears to have announced his departure via Twitter
Posted by: cjbill, May 9, 2017, 8:16pm; Reply: 47
Just out of curiosity. We will still be paying these released players until the end of June. Does that mean with signing any new players, the club will be paying what could be two squads for a month? Or will any new signings have their contracts starting from 1st July? Just not sure how it works
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, May 9, 2017, 8:19pm; Reply: 48
Remember when spade first got appointed he wanted all of his squad ready for first day of preseason. So I expect a few signings before then.  Utm
Posted by: ginnywings, May 9, 2017, 8:23pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from cjbill
Just out of curiosity. We will still be paying these released players until the end of June. Does that mean with signing any new players, the club will be paying what could be two squads for a month? Or will any new signings have their contracts starting from 1st July? Just not sure how it works

Contracts run June to June in the league and so will the contracts of those we are signing, so no double payments.
Posted by: Kris2, May 9, 2017, 8:24pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from cjbill

Well if you see our players under contract until the end of June you can imagine other players will too so they'll probably start their contracts after their last has finished. Or they could just pay off players now for the last month and be done with it.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 9, 2017, 9:46pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from ginnywings

Contracts run June to June in the league and so will the contracts of those we are signing, so no double payments.

Does Shaun's end at the end of May as per the National League schedule I wonder? When he signed for 2 years we where still down there.
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, May 9, 2017, 9:50pm; Reply: 52
Not if Josh's doesn't because he would have signed at the same time
Posted by: ginnywings, May 9, 2017, 9:50pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Does Shaun's end at the end of May as per the National League schedule I wonder? When he signed for 2 years we where still down there.

Good point. I don't know.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 9, 2017, 9:53pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from ginnywings

Good point. I don't know.

We'll soon find out as he will make a commitment early if he stops getting paid at the end of May whether it is with us or another club.
Posted by: Garth, May 9, 2017, 9:56pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
Remember when spade first got appointed he wanted all of his squad ready for first day of preseason. So I expect a few signings before then.  Utm

Where did you dig that one from
Posted by: moosey_club, May 9, 2017, 10:57pm; Reply: 56
No suprises so far then as far as i am concerned
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 9, 2017, 11:25pm; Reply: 57
So what are we up to then 8 gone so far: 4 loanees Dyson, Comley, Vose and Maxwell, 4 released Disley😣 Gowling 😣 D. Jones and Chambers.

So far no news on Venny, Clifton, Max, Gunning, Pearson, Collins, Andrew.

Rest contracted no news re: made available.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 9, 2017, 11:40pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
So what are we up to then 8 gone so far: 4 loanees Dyson, Comley, Vose and Maxwell, 4 released Disley😣 Gowling 😣 D. Jones and Chambers.

So far no news on Venny, Clifton, Max, Gunning, Pearson, Collins, Andrew.

Rest contracted no news re: made available.

Ben Davies  ;)

Posted by: golfer, May 10, 2017, 7:19am; Reply: 59
I know Macca still has another year to go on his contract but is he still on the transfer list
Posted by: chaos33, May 10, 2017, 7:33am; Reply: 60
Hasn't Gunning effectively gone already anyway?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 10, 2017, 7:43am; Reply: 61
Just to clarify have the 3 young lads been offered deals already or not ?
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 10, 2017, 7:54am; Reply: 62
Clifton been offered a year and the other two been offered a 6week trial
Posted by: Maringer, May 10, 2017, 8:01am; Reply: 63
Gunning was on the pitch with the other players after the game on Saturday. Not sure if that means anything or not. Probably not, especially if we're going to keep Pearson or Collins.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 10, 2017, 8:06am; Reply: 64
Quoted from golfer
I know Macca still has another year to go on his contract but is he still on the transfer list

Bignot said not, so going by that I would think he is.  
Posted by: Garth, May 10, 2017, 8:10am; Reply: 65
Quoted from chaos33
Hasn't Gunning effectively gone already anyway?

Make him Captain, and lets all go to hell in a handcart!
Posted by: golfer, May 10, 2017, 8:41am; Reply: 66
Quoted from Garth

Make him Captain, and lets all go to hell in a handcart!

I take it you have decided you like Gunning :)
Posted by: cjbill, May 10, 2017, 9:06am; Reply: 67
Retained list announced

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/grimsby-town-retained-list-201617-3712090.aspx

Gunning also gone. Interesting how they word the situation differently for Andrew, Collins, Pearson and Davies.
Posted by: StickfordMariner, May 10, 2017, 9:09am; Reply: 68
I thought that wanting to engage with Danny Collins does that mean he's not met with Slade yet maybe ?? Or that Danny Andrew has been offered something elsewhere as well and is anyone else surprised about Ben Davies??
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 10, 2017, 9:11am; Reply: 69
No surprises other than Ben Davis who I thought would not be re-engaged. Doubt we'll see Andrew again and judging by that Collins as well?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 10, 2017, 9:11am; Reply: 70
Hoping to engage with Collins? That reads as though Slade never spoke with him yesterday. I think Pearson will sign but not sure about Davies unless it is a player/coach offer?

Andrew will leave as it seems to be a curse of being POTY.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 10, 2017, 9:12am; Reply: 71
interesting
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 10, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 72
Also.... looking who's left Russ is still going to have to ship a few out on loan at least if he is to add quality and get to the targets figure of 23 or so.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 10, 2017, 9:23am; Reply: 73
I would have thought we need to lose at least one of Summerfield, Berret, McAllister or Clements, given that we have S. Jones, Osborne and Clifton who can all play there too.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 10, 2017, 9:25am; Reply: 74
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Also.... looking who's left Russ is still going to have to ship a few out on loan at least if he is to add quality and get to the targets figure of 23 or so.

You'd hope so wouldn't you? can't say that boyce, berrett and summerfield look like promotion winning players, and i haven't been overly impressed by clements thus far

ps to all those think we will be signing an experienced centre forward then look at Vernon's name in there; i don't think slade is going to have two 30+ players in the forward department
pps i wonder if slade wants davies as captain material, a sort of replacement for disley, or maybe he's got in mind to pair him with some young flying winger who could benefit by having an experienced right back behind him?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 10, 2017, 9:25am; Reply: 75
Clifton triggered an extra year so I envisage he will be loaned out and I imagine another 2 will go too as I don't think our existing bunch provide us with enough bite.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 10, 2017, 9:27am; Reply: 76
rrfc makes a good point on the other thread re davies, and him being useful to us should the mills/shrewsbury rumour have credence
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 10, 2017, 9:42am; Reply: 77
Also a good point re Davies adding some experience behind a young winger, who could potentially be dembele.
Posted by: Maringer, May 10, 2017, 10:08am; Reply: 78
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Andrew will leave as it seems to be a curse of being POTY.

Next season, we should vote tactically and give our worst performer the POTY award.  ;)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 10, 2017, 10:23am; Reply: 79
Quoted from Maringer

Next season, we should vote tactically and give our worst performer the POTY award.  ;)

Excellent idea. I'm sure the next fans boo boy will be decided before the end of the first friendly.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 10, 2017, 10:36am; Reply: 80
Think we will see a number of further changes after they report back for training & the fact that players remain on contracts does mean they will be here next season as a few pre-season friendlies may re-enforce RS's views on players he may want to move out.

Of course some may have already been told to look for other clubs &at present this information has not been shared with us.

Bit surprised about the latter as RS has already stated recruitment talks have commenced but he may have convinced JF to loosen the purse strings to cover this summer period.

Time will tell.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 10, 2017, 10:55am; Reply: 81
From what Russ has said it looks like he's got a couple of players lined up already, it appears he wants to get moving quickly so I would expect one or two new faces soon.
Posted by: Teds Lad, May 10, 2017, 3:41pm; Reply: 82
BBC website reporting that Danny Andrew has triggered a one year extension to his contract. Hope this is correct.
Posted by: golfer, May 10, 2017, 4:54pm; Reply: 83
Can't see that anywhere-why would he trigger an extension if he has been offered a new contract-if he triggered it he would be on the same wages which is very unlikely-I think you are telling fibs
Posted by: Grumps, May 10, 2017, 4:57pm; Reply: 84
I have also seen on the BBC website that Danny Andrews has triggered a 1 year extension to his contract. Thinks to myself very strange as he has been offered a new deal
Posted by: Teds Lad, May 10, 2017, 4:58pm; Reply: 85
Try the BBC website article relating to Craig Disley  -  final paragraph!
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 10, 2017, 6:05pm; Reply: 86
I mean contracts are so complicated and varied nowadays by the sounds of it there could be loads of reasons why he would take an extension over what we've offered.

Two things that would worry me if this is true is
1) if we're not offering our POTY's tempting enough contracts then are we being stingey in a way that could come back to bite us (and cost more in the long run)
2) i'd expect him to possibly get a move in january
Posted by: gtfcmd, May 10, 2017, 6:17pm; Reply: 87
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39870943 doesnt say anything about triggering anything
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 10, 2017, 6:18pm; Reply: 88
Yep it got changed about an hour ago, presumably someone saw it was wrong and changed it accordingly
Posted by: rancido, May 10, 2017, 6:56pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from forza ivano
rrfc makes a good point on the other thread re davies, and him being useful to us should the mills/shrewsbury rumour have credence

I think it would be a bad move if we retained Ben Davies. He may have a lot of experience but I think he's too old to be a potent force at right back. It makes even less sense with the release of Dizzy who would be more of an asset than Davies.

With regards to Mills , surely he is still contracted to us for another season so Shrewsbury would need to be given permission to talk to him and a few would be required. I would rather get rid of Davies and offer Mills a revised contract to keep him with us for at least another season beyond his existing contract. Mills is the future and Davies is the past.

I must admit that if this is the way that RS is looking to building a " promotion winning " squad then I think we will be disappointed next season and Slade will continue to be " the nearly man "!
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 10, 2017, 7:12pm; Reply: 90
I would think that the statement saying they are talking to Shaun and Ben is because,

Neither of them will play many games next season but will be required as back up,

So maybe they have been offered less money,

Just a thought.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 10, 2017, 7:23pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from Grumps
I have also seen on the BBC website that Danny Andrews has triggered a 1 year extension to his contract. Thinks to myself very strange as he has been offered a new deal

Danny Andrews, following in the footsteps of Graham Rodgers and Peter Handysides.
Posted by: golfer, May 10, 2017, 7:29pm; Reply: 92
I don't know what all this speculation is about Pearson-why shouldn't he expect to be 1st choice C.B.-how many bad games did he have this season and how many better C.B.'s are their in our division.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 10, 2017, 7:34pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from golfer
I don't know what all this speculation is about Pearson-why shouldn't he expect to be 1st choice C.B.-how many bad games did he have this season and how many better C.B.'s are their in our division.

It was just the way they worded it mate,

I could be wrong but I think Russ will bring in 1 or even 2 centre backs if Collins does not stay
Posted by: golfer, May 10, 2017, 7:43pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from grimsby pete

It was just the way they worded it mate,

I could be wrong but I think Russ will bring in 1 or even 2 centre backs if Collins does not stay

You're maybe right Pete but in my mind I think Pearson has improved quite a bit in the last few months whereas Collins has gone off the boil somewhat
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 10, 2017, 7:49pm; Reply: 95

[img]http://i.imgur.com/tjo1kjZ.png[/img]
Posted by: Abdul19, May 10, 2017, 8:53pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

Danny Andrews, following in the footsteps of Graham Rodgers and Peter Handysides.

Decent 3 quarters of a back 4 that, maybe play Nicky Laws at right back.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 10, 2017, 9:11pm; Reply: 97
I think people are undervaluing Shaun because he's been here ages. Pearson is as steady as they come, great aerially, intelligent and improves every season. I'd put him in the top end of centre halves in this league after seeing some of the mingers we've played against this season. added to what we no about his character it's a no brainer.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 10, 2017, 10:15pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Maringer

"Doing a Brentford" as its been known since 2008 .. :o
Posted by: moosey_club, May 10, 2017, 10:24pm; Reply: 99
suprised about Davies and will be even more suprised if Rhys Browne turns up next season, i really hope he does and is ready to be a Town player as i think Slades style will will be a good fit.
Posted by: mariner91, May 11, 2017, 1:16am; Reply: 100
Quoted from rancido

I must admit that if this is the way that RS is looking to building a " promotion winning " squad then I think we will be disappointed next season and Slade will continue to be " the nearly man "!

Because of one player from a squad that will be about 22/23 strong? Bit of an over-reaction. Besides, he hasn't even signed anything yet. He's still in negotiations and my bet is that he's being offered considerably reduced terms.

It's always good to have a few older and experienced heads around. We've still got Vernon but right now we don't know if we'll keep Collins. I think in an ideal world RS would have liked to have kept Disley around but he's a victim of the poor centre mid recruitment from PH at the start of the season, handing out two year contracts to very mediocre players. As it stands we will have Berrett, Summerfield, McAllister, Osborne, Clements, Sam Jones and Clifton and I would be very surprised if RS doesn't want someone with more athleticism on top of that which would leave us with 8 central midfielders. If we'd kept Disley it would have been 9. Even if you're playing with a midfield three you'd still have at least three of them out of the match day squad each game. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Berrett and Summerfield have been told they are free to look elsewhere but until or if they find somewhere else it would be a risky use of the budget to re-sign another centre midfielder, particularly one who is unlikely to be playing week in and week out. So as sad as it is, it makes sense from a pragmatic point of view.

Ben Davies has a lot of experience and has experience at a higher level than anyone else in the squad other than Collins who may or may not be here next season. I imagine that RS probably sees this experience as valuable for a squad that is relatively young and inexperienced in the FL and with the pragmatic reasons for releasing Disley and Collins future uncertain that leaves Vernon and Davies as experienced veterans. He's also not a bad player. He started the season well but got injured and was then left exposed at wing back by Bignot's lack of tactical nous. He's also unlikely to be starting ahead of Mills and how many L2 squads have a back up right back who is significantly better than Ben Davies? Not many if any. As previously stated, he's also not signed anything yet and I'd be amazed if he hasn't been offered reduced terms to free up more budget.

To suggest that the re-signing of one player who actually isn't too bad when fit and is most likely just experienced cover is indicative of next season being a failure is ridiculous. We came fourth in 2006 with a squad that included such greats as Glen Downey, Terry Barwick and Tony Crane so I hardly see Ben Davies as reason enough on his own to suggest we'll fail to go up.
Posted by: Superdan147, May 11, 2017, 9:18am; Reply: 101
Quoted from mariner91

Because of one player from a squad that will be about 22/23 strong? Bit of an over-reaction. Besides, he hasn't even signed anything yet. He's still in negotiations and my bet is that he's being offered considerably reduced terms.

It's always good to have a few older and experienced heads around. We've still got Vernon but right now we don't know if we'll keep Collins. I think in an ideal world RS would have liked to have kept Disley around but he's a victim of the poor centre mid recruitment from PH at the start of the season, handing out two year contracts to very mediocre players. As it stands we will have Berrett, Summerfield, McAllister, Osborne, Clements, Sam Jones and Clifton and I would be very surprised if RS doesn't want someone with more athleticism on top of that which would leave us with 8 central midfielders. If we'd kept Disley it would have been 9. Even if you're playing with a midfield three you'd still have at least three of them out of the match day squad each game. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Berrett and Summerfield have been told they are free to look elsewhere but until or if they find somewhere else it would be a risky use of the budget to re-sign another centre midfielder, particularly one who is unlikely to be playing week in and week out. So as sad as it is, it makes sense from a pragmatic point of view.

Ben Davies has a lot of experience and has experience at a higher level than anyone else in the squad other than Collins who may or may not be here next season. I may imagine that RS probably sees this experience as valuable for a squad that is relatively young and inexperienced in the FL and with the pragmatic reasons for releasing Disley and Collins future uncertain that leaves Vernon and Davies as experienced veterans. He's also not a bad player. He started the season well but got injured and was then left exposed at wing back by Bignot's lack of tactical nous. He's also unlikely to be starting ahead of Mills and how many L2 squads have a back up right back who is significantly better than Ben Davies? Not many if any. As previously stated, he's also not signed anything yet and I'd be amazed if he hasn't been offered reduced terms to free up more budget.

To suggest that the re-signing of one player who actually isn't too bad when fit and is most likely just experienced cover is indicative of next season being a failure is ridiculous. We came fourth in 2006 with a squad that included such greats as Glen Downey, Terry Barwick and Tony Crane so I hardly see Ben Davies as reason enough on his own to suggest we'll fail to go up.

Excellent post this mariner91 and couldn't agree more. He actually played really well against Plymouth who were top of the league and looked good early season, like I say he was exposed in bignots tactics and had injury problems too. We was all raving about him as a fantastic signing last summer! Excellent squad player to have IMO and no better competition/cover for mills. If we get a really good winger that could be a fantastic partnership! Whether it be mills or davies.
Posted by: sam gy, May 11, 2017, 10:07am; Reply: 102
Quoted from rancido

I think it would be a bad move if we retained Ben Davies. He may have a lot of experience but I think he's too old to be a potent force at right back. It makes even less sense with the release of Dizzy who would be more of an asset than Davies.

With regards to Mills , surely he is still contracted to us for another season so Shrewsbury would need to be given permission to talk to him and a few would be required. I would rather get rid of Davies and offer Mills a revised contract to keep him with us for at least another season beyond his existing contract. Mills is the future and Davies is the past.

Davies is more than capable at right back, and would be a brilliant 'back up' right back at this level. Given the fact that Mills was injured for a while at the beginning of the season, and has now been injured for a few weeks at the end, and has had injury problems in the past, i'd suggest it's a great idea to have a back up in that position in the mould of Davies, who has reached heights in his career that few of our current team will ever do (no offence intended to them).

He's also an experienced head who can be brought on to bring calm in the second half if we're defending a lead. If we're 2-1 up with 15 minutes to go, i'd feel much safer if RS, for example, takes Bolarinwa off and brings on Davies. Additionally, having that experienced head, with a great pedigree, can be very important on the training ground and generally within the club too.

Obviously he's based local too, and i imagine won't be commanding a huge wage at this point in his career. Comparing him to Disley is ridiculous, when they play different positions.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 11, 2017, 3:08pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from mariner91

Ben Davies has a lot of experience and has experience at a higher level than anyone else in the squad other than Collins who may or may not be here next season. I imagine that RS probably sees this experience as valuable for a squad that is relatively young and inexperienced in the FL and with the pragmatic reasons for releasing Disley and Collins future uncertain that leaves Vernon and Davies as experienced veterans. He's also not a bad player. He started the season well but got injured and was then left exposed at wing back by Bignot's lack of tactical nous. He's also unlikely to be starting ahead of Mills and how many L2 squads have a back up right back who is significantly better than Ben Davies? Not many if any. As previously stated, he's also not signed anything yet and I'd be amazed if he hasn't been offered reduced terms to free up more budget.

Great post, we may be building for promotion but it may not necessarily next  season.  
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 11, 2017, 6:18pm; Reply: 104
Someone said the other day that RS has been given a big budget this year, is there any truth in this and also if true surely we stand a better chance of keeping DC and DA.
Posted by: Garth, May 11, 2017, 6:45pm; Reply: 105
According to their forum Hurst is interested in almost all of our defence, knowing Hurst no one will know until the contracts are signed ;D
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 11, 2017, 7:00pm; Reply: 106
I'd be surprised if he wanted Pearson, he barely played earlier in the season when Hurst was here! Collins is debatable, maybe difficult for him to go up a level at that stage in his career.
Posted by: Cloudy, May 20, 2017, 8:20am; Reply: 107
Anyone else hearing Dembele signed a couple of weeks ago??
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 20, 2017, 8:42am; Reply: 108
Someone started a thread saying we were attempting to sign him but then nothing's been said for a while. If we do have him, it'll be interesting to see how he performs considering he's coming from a special academy, not a club.
Posted by: Bradford Mariner, May 20, 2017, 8:43am; Reply: 109
Quoted from Cloudy
Anyone else hearing Dembele signed a couple of weeks ago??

Not heard any names but I was told over a week ago that we'd got a striker, midfielder and central defender to sign.

Time will tell I guess

UTM
Posted by: ginnywings, May 20, 2017, 8:46am; Reply: 110
Season tickets go on sale in 10 days................
Posted by: Superdan147, May 20, 2017, 8:47am; Reply: 111
Nathan Clarke is the centre back, siriki dembele the midfielder and not sure about the striker, hopefully chris dagnall or Alex revell
Posted by: ginnywings, May 20, 2017, 9:16am; Reply: 112
Clarke and Revell have both followed Slade to clubs before, so would make sense.
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 20, 2017, 9:43am; Reply: 113
Come on people, don't be keeping rumours to yourself.
Posted by: Garth, May 20, 2017, 9:48am; Reply: 114
Quoted from ginnywings
Clarke and Revell have both followed Slade to clubs before, so would make sense.

Clarke is 33 years old and had quite a few ciubs in his time, I personally hope that we go for someone younger and more athletic
Posted by: golfer, May 20, 2017, 9:48am; Reply: 115
Why haven't us ex-season ticket holders been told so we can change our minds :)
Posted by: Superdan147, May 20, 2017, 9:54am; Reply: 116
Quoted from Garth

Clarke is 33 years old and had quite a few ciubs in his time, I personally hope that we go for someone younger and more athletic

4 clubs in a 15 year career and a couple of loan spells isn't bad at all these days, 11 years at hudd and 3 years at orient. He also has over 3 years on Collins and he hasn't done too bad has he? I agree we also need some pace but I'm sure slade knows this
Posted by: Garth, May 20, 2017, 10:00am; Reply: 117
Quoted from ginnywings

Hmm! another 33 year old who`s goal total has not been very good for the last four seasons, playing alongside Scot Vernon would not excite me as much as the return of Amond or someone similar.

Posted by: Mariner93er, May 20, 2017, 10:03am; Reply: 118
Both have been playing at a better level than this, mainly championship and league 1, and having worked with them before, I'm sure slade knows their personalities. So they would be good signings.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 20, 2017, 10:08am; Reply: 119
I predicted a return to journeymen. Clarke, Revell, Dagnall seem to vindicate me, if true.
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 20, 2017, 10:13am; Reply: 120
I think the term 'journeyman' needs redefining in your personal dictionary.
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 20, 2017, 10:14am; Reply: 121
Both Dagnall and Revell are under contract for one more year at their clubs. I doubt dagnall would be available unless a decent fee was involved, not sure about revell.
Posted by: Superdan147, May 20, 2017, 10:14am; Reply: 122
Quoted from Mariner93er
Both have been playing at a better level than this, mainly championship and league 1, and having worked with them before, I'm sure slade knows their personalities. So they would be good signings.

Revell has spent most of his career playing at higher level and is a target man. He wouldn't be partnered with vernon, he would most likely replace vernon. Expect a mobile go getter to compliment him ;-) he's the Gary Jones in the jones/reddy partnership. I don't see a future for yussuf, vernon and asnate HAS to prove his fitness. One thing we lack in this squad Is higher quality experience. Only really davies,Collins have it and they could be going so slade will look to bring some in.
Posted by: LH, May 20, 2017, 10:24am; Reply: 123
FFS. Nearly every player we sign someone always says about them having more clubs than Rory McIlroy. It isn't the 70s anymore and players move on after a couple of seasons. It might be a good thing that they've had several clubs (especially loans) as it shows they're willing to move to get game time.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 20, 2017, 10:55am; Reply: 124
I think all footballers should be shot on their 30th birthday as "their legs have gone".

Mind you,Ronaldo is 32 and i have no idea how he has just broken the all time Europen club goalscoring record. Still should have packed it in at 30, the coffin dodger.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 20, 2017, 10:58am; Reply: 125
I've said it before and I'll say it again I think you're barking up the wrong tree with Clarke and revel.i think the only way they come in is if Collins and Vernon leave.its not experience we lack its youth and pace. I strongly suspect it's going to be young players from div 1 and championship reserve squad who will be coming in
Posted by: Garth, May 20, 2017, 11:02am; Reply: 126
We will wait and see but if the targets are true there seems to be a pattern evolving:

Hurst ----Mainly players in their late twenties early thirties with the odd promising Bogle type thrown in

Bignot----Mainly young promising players from the lower reaches with the odd Gunning thrown in

Slade----Allegedly players who have done their stint in higher leagues and perhaps have reached the top of the curve and are on the way down, as I say we will see
Posted by: Cloudy, May 20, 2017, 12:40pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from forza ivano
I've said it before and I'll say it again I think you're barking up the wrong tree with Clarke and revel.i think the only way they come in is if Collins and Vernon leave.its not experience we lack its youth and pace. I strongly suspect it's going to be young players from div 1 and championship reserve squad who will be coming in

But then again you did say Pearson was going to Shrewsbury ;)

Collins isn't leaving btw
Posted by: Meza, May 20, 2017, 1:03pm; Reply: 128
So were are we at then?  (Please do correct me if ive missed anyone) not including Venney, Clifton etc

Mckeown
Mills
Boyce
McAllister
Clements
Summerfield
Berrett
Bolawinra
Osbourne
Jones
Vernon
Asante

Davies (possibly offered new deal)
Collins (possibly offered new deal)
Andrew (possibly offered new deal)

Quite a busy pre season ahead.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), May 20, 2017, 1:24pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from Meza
So were are we at then?  (Please do correct me if ive missed anyone) not including Venney, Clifton etc

Mckeown
Mills
Boyce
McAllister
Clements
Summerfield
Berrett
Bolawinra
Osbourne
Jones
Vernon
Asante

Davies (possibly offered new deal)
Collins (possibly offered new deal)
Andrew (possibly offered new deal)

Quite a busy pre season ahead.

Slade hasn't ruled out the possibility of even more going out as well. He said something along the lines of they will reassess the situation when they return for pre season. Looking at that list of contracted players in which we have I would only keep 8 of them.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 20, 2017, 1:42pm; Reply: 130
Mckeown Need a new No1, he'll want first team football, so offload
Mills Keep
Boyce 4th choice CB cover or offload
McAllister Keep
Clements Keep
Summerfield Offload or cover if on low wages
Berrett Offload or cover if on low wages
Bolawinra Keep, not a starter
Osbourne Keep
Jones Keep
Vernon Offload or cover if on low wages
Asante Keep and hopefully he stays fit
Rhys Browne Keep
Yussef ??

Davies (possibly offered new deal) If it's a cheap deal and injury lowered his performances last season, offer cheap deal
Collins (possibly offered new deal) Look for quicker, younger option, not sure about him
Andrew (possibly offered new deal) Looks like he going elsewhere

A sorry list at the moment that still needs pruning quite a bit. Beginning to look more and more like my retained list posted a month ago if Slade can offload three or four more..
Posted by: Meza, May 20, 2017, 2:13pm; Reply: 131
Ah Yussuf forgot about him.  Cant even remember the length of his deal.  
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, May 20, 2017, 2:17pm; Reply: 132
you all forgot Rhys Browne

Quoted from Bigdog
Mills Keep
McAllister Keep
Clements Keep
Osbourne Keep
Jones Keep
Yussef ??

Davies (possibly offered new deal) If it's a cheap deal and injury lowered his performances last season, offer cheap deal
Collins (possibly offered new deal) Look for quicker, younger option, not sure about him

A sorry list at the moment that still needs pruning quite a bit. Beginning to look more and more like my retained list posted a month ago if Slade can offload three or four more..

Posted by: Meza, May 20, 2017, 2:20pm; Reply: 133
Oh my another one i forgot lol,  but does he want to come back.....theres been no news or any contact?  
Posted by: golfer, May 20, 2017, 2:37pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from Bigdog
Mills Keep
McAllister Keep
Clements Keep
Osbourne Keep
Jones Keep
Yussef ??

I wouldn't like you as my negotiating union rep
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 20, 2017, 3:05pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from Bigdog
Mills Keep
McAllister Keep
Clements Keep
Osbourne Keep
Jones Keep
Yussef ??

I think the opportunity to just "offload" players this coming season may be beyond us for lots of reasons. I reckon that we will have an average squad again and finish pretty much mid table but will be better organised and structured with a bit more of a clue to what we are doing up front.

Basically Russ is inheriting a squad put together by two previous managers rather than one, it will take time for this to wash through so we will need to manage expectation until season 18/19.  
Posted by: Mikoo, May 21, 2017, 2:23pm; Reply: 136
Danny North just kissed the GTFC badge when he scored at the charity day. OBVIOUSLY MEANS HE IS SIGNING?!!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 21, 2017, 2:36pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from Meza

Beginning to think of him as a journeyman - looked like a desperate signing at the time.
Posted by: gtfcmd, May 21, 2017, 3:33pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from Meza

Adi Yussuf     January 2017     18 months     June 2018
Posted by: Kris2, May 21, 2017, 4:14pm; Reply: 139
Adi Yussuf started well, scored a couple of goals and got rave reviews but then seemed to vanish from the side,come back and struggle to assert himself in games and not found a strike partner besides Bogle that he works well with. He's still a young player though so maybe somebody will get the best out of him either here or elsewhere, feel like there is a player in there somewhere.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 21, 2017, 4:26pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from Kris2
Adi Yussuf started well, scored a couple of goals and got rave reviews but then seemed to vanish from the side,come back and struggle to assert himself in games and not found a strike partner besides Bogle that he works well with. He's still a young player though so maybe somebody will get the best out of him either here or elsewhere, feel like there is a player in there somewhere.

You could say the bit in bold about both Hurst and Bignot's signings from last season.
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 21, 2017, 7:19pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Beginning to think of him as a journeyman - looked like a desperate signing at the time.

He may be, but desperate signings usually come right at the end of a transfer window, not usually right at the start.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 21, 2017, 7:27pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from Kris2

With a full pre-season he could be a very useful player.

Posted by: Cloudy, May 21, 2017, 9:02pm; Reply: 143
Remie Streete could possibly be one of our first (announced) signings?
Posted by: chaos33, May 21, 2017, 9:06pm; Reply: 144
What makes you say that?
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 21, 2017, 9:08pm; Reply: 145
I think Cloudy knows people, chaos33
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 21, 2017, 9:35pm; Reply: 146
I also think, because the wording vis a vis Davies on the OS was the same as Pearson, that we're seeing if we can do better than him before we offer him a deal.
Posted by: Superdan147, May 21, 2017, 9:39pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from Cloudy
Remie Streete could be one of our first (announced) signings

He was highly rated at port vale and is expected to stay at least league one level. Can't see us getting him unless you know something or is this a case of wishful thinking ;-)
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, May 21, 2017, 10:23pm; Reply: 148
I think his contract was mutually terminated because they couldn't afford his wages. So although I'm not saying that it's not true I think it would be unlikely although if we do it's an obvious statement of intent.
Posted by: Superdan147, May 21, 2017, 10:29pm; Reply: 149
He was apparently on 2.5k a week at port vale and has interest from league one and championship clubs so this is utter rubbish. Wishful thinking
Posted by: rancido, May 22, 2017, 9:08pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from Mariner_09
I also think, because the wording vis a vis Davies on the OS was the same as Pearson, that we're seeing if we can do better than him before we offer him a deal.

I should hope we can otherwise " we're all doomed " !!! If we can't get better than Davies as a regular  RB then we will struggle to mount a serious promotion challenge. That is of course unless Mills can maintain his improvement and we need  a back up.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 24, 2017, 4:32pm; Reply: 151
Harry Clifton signs a 1 year contract extension. Hopefully, he will push his way into the team over the coming season.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 24, 2017, 4:34pm; Reply: 152
Any news on DC?
Posted by: ginnywings, May 24, 2017, 4:38pm; Reply: 153
Nope!
Posted by: Garth, May 24, 2017, 4:57pm; Reply: 154
Waiting to see if he can get a better offer I suppose, how long do we have to wait, Hurst used to give a deadline.
Posted by: Cloudy, May 24, 2017, 5:05pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from Garth
Waiting to see if he can get a better offer I suppose, how long do we have to wait, Hurst used to give a deadline.

Deal is done. DC is here next season
Posted by: Superdan147, May 24, 2017, 5:22pm; Reply: 156
Cloudy .. you sound like you know but clearly you don't after your remie streete prediction!
Posted by: Cloudy, May 24, 2017, 5:51pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from Superdan147
Cloudy .. you sound like you know but clearly you don't after your remie streete prediction!

We shall see ;)
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 24, 2017, 6:09pm; Reply: 158
Do you stand by the Remie Streete rumour Cloudy?
Posted by: Fat Cobra, May 24, 2017, 6:32pm; Reply: 159
Cloudy has contacts at every club, personal friend of many professional footballers and a big name in the game. Or so he would have us believe...
Posted by: rancido, May 24, 2017, 7:43pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from Fat Cobra
Cloudy has contacts at every club, personal friend of many professional footballers and a big name in the game. Or so he would have us believe...

Would that make him a cumulo nimbus !
Posted by: Fat Cobra, May 24, 2017, 8:22pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from rancido

Would that make him a cumulo nimbus !

Could think of some other names...
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 25, 2017, 4:04pm; Reply: 162
When's the next signing being announced?
Posted by: Cloudy, May 25, 2017, 4:11pm; Reply: 163
Quoted from Mariner_09

October
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 25, 2017, 4:34pm; Reply: 164
Quoted from Cloudy

October

Which one?
Posted by: oldun, May 25, 2017, 4:59pm; Reply: 165
When we have one to announce. We are still in May lots of players still on contract.
Posted by: rancido, May 25, 2017, 8:06pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from Mariner_09

I give up - when is the next signing going to be announced? Is this question the starter for 10 ?
Posted by: Cloudy, May 25, 2017, 8:30pm; Reply: 167
Quoted from Fat Cobra

Not in the slightest. DC has signed though and if you are referring to  when Sam Jones signed, yes I did post that I had been told by a player at Gateshead who had received a text from Jones.

Sorry to upset you tubby snake, I forgot you were th only one with any information
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 25, 2017, 9:00pm; Reply: 168
Quoted from Cloudy

October

In line with the season tickets  ;)
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 25, 2017, 10:19pm; Reply: 169
Reckon town have an agreement where they cant announce some signings until june 1st, like doncaster do with the 'mystery left back'. im sure we will start to see movement next weekend as many players contracts dont end until end of this month or even july
Posted by: Maringer, May 25, 2017, 10:34pm; Reply: 170
I seem to think players are allowed to sign pre-contracts? If they are still under contract to their old club for a short while, they can then sign up to a new club, but you can see why it wouldn't really be the done thing to announce a signing when they are still getting paid by someone else.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 25, 2017, 10:36pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from Cloudy

October

It will be cloudy by then.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 26, 2017, 12:20am; Reply: 172
Quoted from Cloudy

October

Is that to co incide with the signing of remai streete? ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: ginnywings, May 26, 2017, 12:28am; Reply: 173
Season tickets go on sale in 10 days. Expect a flurry of signings around that time. ;)
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 30, 2017, 9:18pm; Reply: 174
So we're expecting at least 3 more signings thos week, anybody heard any whispers?
Posted by: Davec, May 31, 2017, 6:59am; Reply: 175
Quoted from Mariner_09
So we're expecting at least 3 more signings thos week, anybody heard any whispers?

Who told you we are expecting atleast 3?
Posted by: cannylad68, May 31, 2017, 7:47am; Reply: 176
Haven't we got enough players?
Posted by: Garth, May 31, 2017, 8:04am; Reply: 177
Quoted from cannylad68
Haven't we got enough players?

Yes let's work with what we have got ;)
Posted by: forza ivano, May 31, 2017, 9:31am; Reply: 178
Quoted from Garth

Yes let's work with what we have got ;)

let's not! ;)
Posted by: Cloudy, June 2, 2017, 5:12pm; Reply: 179
Quoted from Cloudy