Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dis - If the next game is it.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 252 Guests

Dis - If the next game is it.

This thread currently has 15,615 views. Print
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
April 30, 2017, 7:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I personally think that he should be retained in some way as in the last 2 games if nothing else he has showed his worth especially yesterday when he was one of the few that showed desire & character in a poor peformance.  

Sadly Saturday could see the last game that Craig will play for GTFC, I assume if it is we will get to find out this week especially after Russ said some players arrangements for next season will be sorted before Saturday?? Then again Dis being Dis he might possibly want Saturday to be more about the team.  

So if it is his farewell how do we send off a pro who has played over 700+ career games and as a GTFC player and our Captain (in my mind he still is) has been exemplary on and off the field for GTFC?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
April 30, 2017, 7:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Grown hugely attached to dis during his time here, i started following town when our spiral of decline started, and it was hard to form an attachment to any of the worthless lazy money grabbing tossers that got us in to the abyss. however with dis shaun macca, we recruited players who became part of the club and got what it is all about. I never doubted what this club meant to Dis, but the play off semi last year, showed what a fantastic man he is. Tears on Tv. He led our club back into the Fl, was the first to sign each and every season, and has been exemplary on and off the field. I dont know the best way to show our appreciation as fans, but from me personally, Dis has been my favourite town player, and in my eyes a true legend. I will be devastated if he does leave and wish him all the best with his future as noone deserves it more. all i could say is thank you for all you have done for us, means as much to him as it did to us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 95
Rhys_Mariners
April 30, 2017, 9:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +174
Gold Stars: 4
Same as the above, started supporting town in 2005 so all i have ever experienced is shite apart from maybe a few seasons. I'd give him one more year personally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 95
Mariner_09
April 30, 2017, 10:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Shame we didn't get him when he was 25, we'd have never dropped out of the league in the first place!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 95
KingstonMariner
April 30, 2017, 10:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I personally think that he should be retained in some way as in the last 2 games if nothing else he has showed his worth especially yesterday when he was one of the few that showed desire & character in a poor peformance.  

Sadly Saturday could see the last game that Craig will play for GTFC, I assume if it is we will get to find out this week especially after Russ said some players arrangements for next season will be sorted before Saturday?? Then again Dis being Dis he might possibly want Saturday to be more about the team.  

So if it is his farewell how do we send off a pro who has played over 700+ career games and as a GTFC player and our Captain (in my mind he still is) has been exemplary on and off the field for GTFC?

Spot on.

He had a similar impact in the ColU away game.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 95
LH
April 30, 2017, 10:54pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
I've said it before and I'll say it again: whilst Dis is not the best footballer to have ever played for Town (ai doubt he'd be in many 30yo+ fans best ever starting line ups) he is amongst the strongest characters to have donned the shirt.

Hagrid has covered why he is a legend for me too - he signed for us at possibly our lowest ebb and he has stayed until we are now a steady, stable fourth tier club and that is partially down to his (and Pearson, McKeown and numerous others) efforts in the Conference. He's got the three fish tattooed on him as well let's not forget!

However, I do feel that if we're to push on and go higher up the divisions we need fresh blood and now is a good time for him to go. I hope I get a chance to clap him off one last time next week if it is this season that he moves on.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 95
jamesgtfc
April 30, 2017, 11:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Disley isn't going to play all 46 games of the season but I think he has the ability to play a part in a good proportion of games.

There isn't much room for sentiment in football but he gets what Grimsby is about and would be a great body to have around the building as we go through our third overhaul in 12 months.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 95
AdamHaddock
April 30, 2017, 11:25pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,834
Gold Stars: 26
Ginger wigs?

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 95
Marinerz93
April 30, 2017, 11:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
One of the legends that got us out of the abyss and it will be a sad day we part company no matter how far away that date is, for me if he is to go surely he deserves a testimonial!

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 95
lowerfindus
April 30, 2017, 11:31pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Time to go I'm afraid.

I'm not one of his biggest fans as I've always thought he slowed the game down by taking too many touches and played the ball sideways too often to the detriment of the team. I actually think with a better manager he could have been more infuencial played in a three or further forward closer to the strikers. His late runs and goals were a positive.

That would have meant playing an alternative formation and we here at gtfc (managers, players and fans alike) do not seem to be able to cope without 44 fcuking 2.

However, you can't knock his work ethic or desire to win and the way he has lead the side during the last few years on and off the pitch. Certainly an indication of if he's in or out would be fair so if the time has come he can be rightly acclaimed by the fans.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 95
Swansea_Mariner
April 30, 2017, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
I think if it wasn't for the terrible 2 year contracts for Berret and Summerfield then he may well have earned one more year, but with us unlikely to offload both of these he's unlikely to be here. It's just numbers.

Dis has been a great player for us, the best in the middle for me since Pouton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 95
RichMariner
May 1, 2017, 1:59am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,159
Gold Stars: 210
I guess it depends what Disley is looking for too.

I think he'll accept that he's not going to play all 46 league games, wherever he may end up next season, at whatever level.

Maybe, if he accepts that he'll only be a bit-part player, he'd be quite happy to sit on our bench for another year on lower wages.

Or maybe he wants to begin a coaching career and we can offer him something on that level (although to be fair I've never really heard him talk about this being a career he wants to pursue).

Even if he doesn't play next season, his experience in and around the dressing room and training pitch will be valuable, especially for those youngsters who play in his position.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 95
May 1, 2017, 7:37am
Guest User
Diz has been magnificent for us, he leads by example, used to pop up with important goals and has been a wonderful servant for the club. But it's time to go, he clearly can't get around the pitch like he used to. It comes to us all I'm afraid, hope he gets a heroes send off on Saturday.

I've no idea if he has an interest in coaching or if he has been taking his badges, but if we have a vacancy and the club think he would do a good job then I'd be happy if he was on the coaching team.
Reply: 12 - 95
Davec
May 1, 2017, 8:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Just out of interest, does anybody know how many appearances Disley has made for Grimsby in all competitionso? Has to be around 300?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 95
jimgtfc
May 1, 2017, 8:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
RS has selected him more often than not and he's been one of the better performers for him, so maybe Russ thinks there could be a role for him going forward. Personally I think it's time to say goodbye, I don't want to see him depreciate as a footballer any more and taint the fantastic reputation he has here. He did his job, he got us promoted, he then got to enjoy the fruits of his labour with a season in the football league.

If it is to be his last outing in black and white, we need a proper rendition of the ginger Pirlo song, and I don't mean 20 fans in the pontoon singing it for 10 seconds, the whole ground belting it out for 10 minutes or so. It's the least we can do for the bloke, and maybe we'll see some tears again 😉

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 95
Bradford Mariner
May 1, 2017, 9:15am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Quoted from lowerfindus
Time to go I'm afraid.

I'm not one of his biggest fans as I've always thought he slowed the game down by taking too many touches and played the ball sideways too often to the detriment of the team. I actually think with a better manager he could have been more infuencial played in a three or further forward closer to the strikers. His late runs and goals were a positive.

That would have meant playing an alternative formation and we here at gtfc (managers, players and fans alike) do not seem to be able to cope without 44 fcuking 2.

However, you can't knock his work ethic or desire to win and the way he has lead the side during the last few years on and off the pitch. Certainly an indication of if he's in or out would be fair so if the time has come he can be rightly acclaimed by the fans.

Agree with this.

Can't argue with his contribution when he first arrived but not so sure about last two seasons.

We can't afford any sentiment when it comes to player retention and the idea that we can retain someone just because 'they can come on occasionally' is complete nonsense. We need a squad where all the players can play every minute of every game if called upon, we aren't a rich club and we can't afford passengers.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 95
ginnywings
May 1, 2017, 9:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
This thread is getting dangerously close to the annual "Dis' legs have gone" thread, which we have every season. I have sensed nothing that leads me to believe this is true but it's something fans start to say when a player gets to his mid 30's; the ultimate football cliche. I'm not so sure that a promotion chasing side can accommodate him for a season as a starting player, but i would be happy for him to get another season. Lots of experience and a safe pair of hands. I'd argue that Michael Carrick has been better than the 80 million pound Pogba and he is 35. It's easy to let a players age cloud your judgement.

However, if he is to be let go, i think the club should break with tradition and let him and us know before Saturday, so we can give him a good send off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 95
MuddyWaters
May 1, 2017, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
This thread is getting dangerously close to the annual "Dis' legs have gone" thread, which we have every season. I have sensed nothing that leads me to believe this is true but it's something fans start to say when a player gets to his mid 30's; the ultimate football cliche. I'm not so sure that a promotion chasing side can accommodate him for a season as a starting player, but i would be happy for him to get another season. Lots of experience and a safe pair of hands. I'd argue that Michael Carrick has been better than the 80 million pound Pogba and he is 35. It's easy to let a players age cloud your judgement.

However, if he is to be let go, i think the club should break with tradition and let him and us know before Saturday, so we can give him a good send off.

Legs have gone? Maybe, maybe not. He's certainly not the player he was and probably been shown up by quick playing midfielders such as Portsmouth's or Exeter's. One thing is for sure, it would be nice for the club to recognise his efforts by allowing us to show our appreciation at some appropriate time.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 95
HertsGTFC
May 1, 2017, 10:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah I think it is Ginny when the intention was to gauge opinion on "if" it was his last game how do we show our appreciation.

As well as what I think he can still do on the pitch off it he has experience to help bring what now looks like "another" new group of players together  considering the work RS potentially needs to do. This has clearly not been a happy camp at times this term and keeping pro's like Craig will help make sure next season is a bit more harmonious amongst the squad.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 95
fishyfanny
May 1, 2017, 10:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.88
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 95
ginnywings
May 1, 2017, 11:04am

Recovering Alcoholic
Good (if short) video but not sure about the choice of music. Is this a new video?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 95
fishyfanny
May 1, 2017, 11:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.88
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from ginnywings
Good (if short) video but not sure about the choice of music. Is this a new video?

I spotted it on YouTube, dated April 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 95
ginnywings
May 1, 2017, 11:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from fishyfanny

I spotted it on YouTube, dated April 2016

Ah! Thought it might be some sort of goodbye video, but clearly not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 95
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 1, 2017, 11:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Legs have gone? Maybe, maybe not. He's certainly not the player he was and probably been shown up by quick playing midfielders such as Portsmouth's or Exeter's. One thing is for sure, it would be nice for the club to recognise his efforts by allowing us to show our appreciation at some appropriate time.

I'd go along with that.

Look at the reason why another club, perhaps National League, would sign him. It wouldn't be for his ball control or his passing abilities. It wouldn't be for his box to box running. It would be for his attitude and experience. But Town now need more than that from midfield to progress in L2 and beyond. Football is a professional game and sentiment cannot really come into it.

Many oldies will remember Keith Jobling who held the appearance record before Macca. He was a great local lad and stalwart centre back for season after season and then he started being left out (no subs in those days), I think he struggled to recover from injury and was finally let go to Boston. When he was first left out, I was away at the time and I couldn't understand it. In my mind's eye he was the same as ever. But then when I came home for a game and he was skinned by a not particularly good striker, I saw the light. That was when we signed (Basil) Rathbone and the difference was instant.

Sometimes it is hard to see the deterioration in a player's game when we see them week by week and sometimes for the best of reasons we just don't want to. Maybe Dis could possibly be a squad player next season on a one year contract? Perhaps. But is there any point other than sentiment? Maybe better all round to let him go and to do what he wants to do, retire or sign for a non-league outfit.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 95
jimgtfc
May 1, 2017, 11:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Mate of mine reckons Saturday will be Disley's 300th game in all competitions for town. Not done the maths myself, but fantastic if true.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 95
RichMariner
May 1, 2017, 1:44pm
Brandy Drinker
You don't get many players at this level of football racking up so many appearances at one club since they don't typically have the resources to hand out more than a year's contract at a time.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 25 - 95
Kris2
May 1, 2017, 2:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
He's been  loyal to us and a great Captain for us, never the shouty type just goes out there and leads by example  fighting all over the pitch to say "this is what is expected of you". Scores some good goals and has great instincts for movement and passing. Who knows if he'll be with us next season but if he's not I'm sure he'll be remembered.

He's well remembered and respected by Bristol Rovers fans too and you can see why, not played for many clubs because he's shown each one the same kind of loyalty and desire.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 95
KingstonMariner
May 1, 2017, 8:38pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from fishyfanny

That FGR goalkeeper is a bit excrement really isn't he for a promotion hunting team. Not denigrating Disley or his great leap and header. But the GK's leap was a bit halfarsed. Like his fluffing at the ball at Wembley.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 95
HertsGTFC
May 1, 2017, 8:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That FGR goalkeeper is a bit excrement really isn't he for a promotion hunting team. Not denigrating Disley or his great leap and header. But the GK's leap was a bit halfarsed. Like his fluffing at the ball at Wembley.

Good cross from Monkhouse

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 95
KingstonMariner
May 1, 2017, 8:55pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Good cross from Monkhouse

Pinpoint accuracy by that other old trouper 'whose legs had gone'. Like a chip by a top class golfer.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 95
Stranger in the Park
May 2, 2017, 12:37am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -188
Gold Stars: 7
Personally I don't subscribe to the "his legs have gone brigade". Osborne has been receiving lots of accolades since he arrived yet regularly got substituted whilst Dis was still running and picking up loose balls that others certain players couldn't be bothered to go for.Forget his age, he's still a fit guy and there are at least two other midfielders that should be shown the door before Dis ,if only for their lazy lackluster play.Both Hurst and Biggob saddled us with some absolute dross players this season yet when called upon Dis did his job without question.He has earned another season and in my opinion is still fit to do a respectable job .Slade has seen enough by now to tell the workers from the shirkers and I hope he still sees Dis as part of next seasons squad.The fans need heroes in any team and thanks to the decimation of last years team by Hurst,and later Biggobs woeful management, we really do need to give Dis one more season (at least) to keep morale up in what has been a real disappointing first season back in the league.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 95
golfer
May 2, 2017, 6:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 117

Pinpoint accuracy by that other old trouper 'whose legs had gone'. Like a chip by a top class golfer.

Did you call ?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 95
May 2, 2017, 10:38am
Guest User

Wheres the van disley header, that was a right goal!!!!!
Reply: 32 - 95
May 4, 2017, 2:12pm
Guest User
Said at the press conf he still doesnt know if he will get a contract for next year....
[tweet][/tweet]
https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/860104926202138624
Reply: 33 - 95
Abdul19
May 4, 2017, 3:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Quoted from 935

Wheres the van disley header, that was a right goal!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwe6S0-djaY

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 95
ginnywings
May 4, 2017, 3:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
You could have warned us Abdul that clicking on that link would bring up PH.  

Cracking goal though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 95
MuddyWaters
May 4, 2017, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 95
May 4, 2017, 5:38pm
Guest User
From the sound of that interview it doesn't sound very optimistic
Reply: 37 - 95
MuddyWaters
May 4, 2017, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 935
From the sound of that interview it doesn't sound very optimistic

He's going to go at some time - what was more worrying was the inclusion of Collins & Pearson in the same bracket.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 95
pizzzza
May 4, 2017, 5:50pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Yep, to me the tone of RS's voice sounds like this will be the last time we see Dis in a Town shirt.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 95
devs
May 4, 2017, 6:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Got a feeling Macca Dizza and Shaun will be leaving
Gowling is a no brainer

The class of 2015/16 will be finally splitting up IMO

I would also think that if Dis starts and gets subbed after say 80 mins that could well be the sign that he's going - standing ovation and not a dry eye!

Personally I'd offer him another year with no first team guarantees - very valuable squad player

Shaun? Love him but not sure if he is the absolute top level quality we need for L2 and promotion push
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 95
MuddyWaters
May 4, 2017, 7:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from devs
Got a feeling Macca Dizza and Shaun will be leaving
Gowling is a no brainer

The class of 2015/16 will be finally splitting up IMO

I would also think that if Dis starts and gets subbed after say 80 mins that could well be the sign that he's going - standing ovation and not a dry eye!

Personally I'd offer him another year with no first team guarantees - very valuable squad player

Shaun? Love him but not sure if he is the absolute top level quality we need for L2 and promotion push

If you're going to have a squad of 22 plus kids, you can't have any passengers who are there to make up numbers. All 22 have to be good enough to start the first game of the season, if you get what I mean.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 95
HertsGTFC
May 4, 2017, 8:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If you're going to have a squad of 22 plus kids, you can't have any passengers who are there to make up numbers. All 22 have to be good enough to start the first game of the season, if you get what I mean.

He'd e "good enough" but all being well there would be better selected ahead of him. The reality at a club our size with our resource you will always get 11 or so instant picks and the rest made up of "squad players", youngsters and the odd stalwart.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 95
Hagrid
May 4, 2017, 8:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I think he is 100% good enough to be a starter, but i think he will leave. Quite annoyed that we dont know one way or another
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 95
chaos33
May 4, 2017, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,974
Gold Stars: 360
Been thinking about this, and much as it will sadden us to part with Disley, in stark reality he isn't likely to play much next season (if this season is anything to go by) and his contract will use up a limited budget for little 'on field return' if that does transpire. It grieves me to say so, but it looks like our Captain will be released and that this is probably the right thing to do, on balance.

Whatever, I salute this man as a true GTFC legend.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 95
Balthazar Bullitt
May 4, 2017, 8:26pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Hagrid
I think he is 100% good enough to be a starter, but i think he will leave. Quite annoyed that we dont know one way or another

I'll be more than quite annoyed if they don't let us know one way or the other before kick off on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 95
headingly_mariner
May 4, 2017, 8:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
I love him, he's a proper professional and always comes across as a really decent bloke.

I've never seen anything to suggest his legs have gone, he is able to play a slightly deeper screening role and always adds a calmness when he's on the pitch. He can completely be relied upon and even at his age he's still comfortably one of the better midfielders at the club. I'd be giving him a year and shifting some of the under contract deadwood.

I also think it would be criminal if we don't tie Pearson and Collins down.

I do fear it will be the end for Dis and would love to see him get a proper send off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 95
Hagrid
May 4, 2017, 9:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 95
May 4, 2017, 9:41pm
Guest User
How he has never lost his head during the toughest period in our clubs history is beyond me. He is a role model for every footballer and shows that you don't have to be aggresive to be a leader as he earns his respect for his dedication and hard work, he has certainly changed my view on what makes a good leader. It's rare for anyone without a connection to Grimsby to fall in love with our football club but the pure outpoor of emotion he showed at the final whistle against Braintree last year showed how much this club means to him. For anyone under the age of 25 including myself he is the only legend I have seen play for Town (except the last days of Macca) and he has been an inspiration to watch.
Reply: 48 - 95
Les Brechin
May 4, 2017, 10:04pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
I've been lucky enough to see plenty of Mariners legends in my time having seen my first game in 1972. From growing up having Batchy, Joe Waters and Bobby Cumming as my heroes along with the late, great Kev Moore and then later onto Macca, Super Clive, the midfield partnership of Cunnington and Cockers, Futch and a few others. Diz isn't quite up there with them but he's has been one of  the standout players of the last 15 years or so. Very, very rarely has a bad game and gives you 100% every time he pulls on a Mariners shirt.

It will be sad to see him go and if Saturday is his last game then I hope that he scores the winner in the 95th minute which would be a fitting finale for someone who has given his all to the club over the past 6 seasons.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 95
louth_in_the_south
May 4, 2017, 10:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,705
Gold Stars: 96
I'd give him another year no question. A leader on and off the pitch and around the training ground must be worth it . I haven't seen much evidence of his legs going and actually made the deep midfield pirlo position look easy and effective in the last 2 games I've seen him play . Best midfielder at orient and Barnet easily .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 95
jamesgtfc
May 4, 2017, 10:31pm
Vodka Drinker
My best memory of Disley is the FA Trophy final versus Wrexham.  I was in line with his two footed challenge on Dean Keates. It should have been a straight red and the referee knew that too.

Dean Keates got straight up, shook Disley's hand and had a word with the referee.

I know the two were friends anyway but it says a lot about both of them as a character and it is a shame there are not more like them in the game.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 95
KingstonMariner
May 4, 2017, 11:39pm
Meths Drinker
You know, reading what Grimsbysfinest and Les have written encapsulates what a lot of us instinctively knew but haven't put into words. I know I haven't even consciously thought that but immediately on reading it you recognise the truth. GF's comments about leadership are on the money for me. Dis is a leader in the mould of Paul Groves.

James, I never knew that, and had forgotten about that challenge until now. We constantly hear how football and footballers are somehow beyond the pale in terms of behaviour, and compared unfavourably to rugger buggers. And there are plenty of examples quoted to back those claims up. That incident shows that Dis (and Dean Keates) are examples of higher standards. Says a lot about Keates, but it must also say a lot about Dis for someone to act like that on his behalf.

Anyway, I'm rambling, so if it is Craig's last game I'll raise a glass. I flipping hope it isn't though. If last Saturday was his last game then at least I was able to see him score for us one last time.

Excuse me I appear to have something in my eye.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 95
ginnywings
May 4, 2017, 11:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Nice sentiments on here. Dis wouldn't get in my all time Town team, or maybe even not my second all time team, but he'd be in the top 30 and that is from hundreds of players we've had in my time, which is since 1972, same as Les. That's purely from a footballing talent perspective but if it was a team picked just for character and what they have done for the club, then he would be in there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 95
Civvy at last
May 5, 2017, 5:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,206
Gold Stars: 131
It's a different world today. Those of us that are old enough to remember Batchy, Boylen, Bobby C etc need to realise that. Travel nowadays means that players change clubs far more frequently than ever.
My lad will not see many players play as many games for Town as Dis, or  James McKeown.
To us silly old bugggers they may not compare with some. But to my lad they are two long serving players who played a big part in returning us to league football (quite possibly saving us as a full time professional club).  So he may be telling his Kids about them being his heroes as he watched Town as a youngster !!

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 95
Davec
May 5, 2017, 6:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I really hope the club announce something today about it being Disley's final game, I know contracts won't be sorted out until next week but I think Disley is an exception, well I guess if he starts the game and comes off in the 80th min then it's obvious
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 95
Les Brechin
May 5, 2017, 7:11am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Quoted from jamesgtfc
My best memory of Disley is the FA Trophy final versus Wrexham.  I was in line with his two footed challenge on Dean Keates. It should have been a straight red and the referee knew that too.

Dean Keates got straight up, shook Disley's hand and had a word with the referee.

I know the two were friends anyway but it says a lot about both of them as a character and it is a shame there are not more like them in the game.

And that's why if we do release Diz, then I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him sign for Wrexham, where Keates is now manager.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 95
Cloudy
May 5, 2017, 7:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Little doubt now that there will be another big shake up of the playing squad. Those out of contract are very vulnerable, in part because he needs to free up budget and squad places to get a squad he thinks can be at least play off contenders.
I think some of those who are under contract will be told they can find new clubs too but I expect Disley to be freed.
Taking emotion out of it I think that is the right decision if we expect to be top 7.

Bignot did a lot of damage, not just with SOME strange signings but more so with his failure to get some off the payroll before he made additions. I remain of the view that the board took their eye off the ball in letting him sign before he had players out the door because they hadn't allowed others such freedom in the past.

Onwards and upwards
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 95
LondonMariner43
May 5, 2017, 8:03am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,977
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Cloudy
Little doubt now that there will be another big shake up of the playing squad. Those out of contract are very vulnerable, in part because he needs to free up budget and squad places to get a squad he thinks can be at least play off contenders.
I think some of those who are under contract will be told they can find new clubs too but I expect Disley to be freed.
Taking emotion out of it I think that is the right decision if we expect to be top 7.

Bignot did a lot of damage, not just with SOME strange signings but more so with his failure to get some off the payroll before he made additions. I remain of the view that the board took their eye off the ball in letting him sign before he had players out the door because they hadn't allowed others such freedom in the past.

Onwards and upwards

JF pretty much said this was one of the reasons for sacking MB.  It seems he promised he could ship some players out on loan - seems he could only find loans for wide players! He probably panicked into getting out any he could and ended up with a lop sided squad.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 95
Maringer
May 5, 2017, 8:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
I think Disley could do a great job for a Conference club for another season or two. He's always had excellent fitness and, though never quick, he's still nowhere near slow.

However, I do think it would be a season too far if he was to stay with us. I can't see him being a starter for us next season and I think at his age as a player, you need to be playing regularly to keep everything ticking over.

That said, it will be a sad moment when he leaves. Hope we can sign somebody else who can hang in the air in the same way that he seems to!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 95
HertsGTFC
May 5, 2017, 8:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Lots of good stuff on here re Craig regardless of people's view on next season everyone recognises his professionalism, quality, leadership and how much GTFC means to him.

In the context of the last few years and the one year deal cycle his commitment to GTFC on and off the pitch has been huge, maybe not the loudest leader but leads by example. Since I started going in the mid/late 70s we have had some good captains such as Joe Waters and Grovsey and Craig is right up there with them.

I guess if there is nothing formal communicated if he plays tomorrow and is subbed at 80 odd minutes that will possibly confirm the future

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 95
1mickylyons
May 5, 2017, 8:36am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,389
Gold Stars: 56
Dis has been a great servant to us in our darkest times and never left me feeling short changed unlike so so many other players.I have been a big fan of him during his time with the Club for me still a decent squad player to have but should now be behind 2 others for a CM role in the first team.Ginger Pirlo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 95
Garth
May 5, 2017, 8:44am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Top player top man, I still think he would be an asset to us for another season.

I would think that no announcement before tomorrows game would probably mean he has another year with us, to treat him as you would Gunning would not be fair or sensible, I hope he stays

If he goes I will always look out for him in whatever capacity or team that he finishes in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 95
golfer
May 5, 2017, 8:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 117
I think he will be offered some sort of job-I feel that if he wasn't he would have been told by now-surely in all fairness
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 95
mariner91
May 5, 2017, 9:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
I've been going to Town games since 1999 so unfortunately have missed the better periods of the club's history. In that time we've been unfortunate to have some really difficult times and we've had some absolute charlatans playing for the club who only cared about picking up their pay packet. In fact, we've had so many that I doubt anyone could come close to naming them all. And that's why Craig Disley stands out. In the modern era players don't stick around clubs too long, particularly at clubs that are at their lowest ebb. Yet Dis stuck with us until the job was done which can't have been easy because the pressure to get us back into the league clearly made others struggle. He never gave less than 100%, he often popped up with goals just as we needed them and he really, genuinely cared. He may not be the best midfielder we've ever had but for someone like me, who has only really seen Town be a bit excrement, he would be in my all time Town XI without question. And he'd be my captain. Love him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 95
jamesgtfc
May 5, 2017, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
I've been going to Town games since 1999 so unfortunately have missed the better periods of the club's history. In that time we've been unfortunate to have some really difficult times and we've had some absolute charlatans playing for the club who only cared about picking up their pay packet. In fact, we've had so many that I doubt anyone could come close to naming them all. And that's why Craig Disley stands out. In the modern era players don't stick around clubs too long, particularly at clubs that are at their lowest ebb. Yet Dis stuck with us until the job was done which can't have been easy because the pressure to get us back into the league clearly made others struggle. He never gave less than 100%, he often popped up with goals just as we needed them and he really, genuinely cared. He may not be the best midfielder we've ever had but for someone like me, who has only really seen Town be a bit excrement, he would be in my all time Town XI without question. And he'd be my captain. Love him.

I don't understand the cliché that a captain should be vocal. Like you said, he stuck by us until the job was done and settled into the local community. He gives 100% at all times and most of his goals for us have been very important goals.

Whatever happens he goes with my best regards but I feel he could still play a part next season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 95
Mariner93er
May 5, 2017, 10:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Disley himself said he'd rather not know until next week, and slade was edging towards that too. So I doubt we'll know anything prior to the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 95
Abdul19
May 5, 2017, 12:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I don't understand the cliché that a captain should be vocal.

Aye. I read an interview with Matt Holland the other day and he said that he wasn't a shouty type either; so he set an example by being the first in each day, generally working hard and being someone everyone could approach about stuff. I imagine Disley is exactly like that. And he's got a lovely beard.

I'd definitely keep him on another year.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 95
Perkins
May 5, 2017, 12:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Give him another season, i can't think of a better player to inspire calmness, confidence and loyalty in our younger players. Too much publicity is given these days to supposed "superstars" when players like Disley are the real role models of the game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 95
MuddyWaters
May 5, 2017, 1:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
First thing - Craig Disley will always be the captain that brought GTFC back into the Football League BUT there comes a time when the club has to part ways with him. He's not played many games this season, he doesn't get into the positions that he did three years ago and with a smaller squad, it would be difficult to justify keeping a squad place for a
player to be a talisman for the club.

We need to move on, we need to look for the next Craig Disley, football matches aren't won on sentiment.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 95
Hagrid
May 5, 2017, 1:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
all a matter of opinion OC, i think Dis can most definately do a job for our team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 95
Bradford Mariner
May 5, 2017, 1:44pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Quoted from MuddyWaters
First thing - Craig Disley will always be the captain that brought GTFC back into the Football League BUT there comes a time when the club has to part ways with him. He's not played many games this season, he doesn't get into the positions that he did three years ago and with a smaller squad, it would be difficult to justify keeping a squad place for a

We need to move on, we need to look for the next Craig Disley, football matches aren't won on sentiment.

Agree 100%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 95
sam gy
May 5, 2017, 1:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
I love Dis, the man is a  GTFC legend and always will be. I'd certainly be happy if we gave him another year, but i feel like it's probably best for both parties if we went our separate ways, as much as it pains me to say it.

We're always wanting to see youth players such as Clifton be given a chance, but we also want legends at the end of their career to be kept on...i'm not sure there is much scope to have one without the other in a small squad.

It's well documented that we have too many CMs, and Disley is an out of contract CM...i'm guessing Slade will be looking to work with the contacted players in this position, as well as adding to them. Players like Clements, Osbourne, and dare i say...Berrett (who isn't half as bad as people make out on here). They're not exactly youngsters, but age is on their side more so than Dis and they're contracted.

As fans, we're also understandably wanting to push on into the playoffs, and to do this, we're going to need improvements all over the pitch. I think Dis can cut it in this league, but is he a promotion winning league two midfielder still? I'm not sure...maybe so, but our first two managers this season didn't seem to think so.

Also...people are saying they'd give him a contract just to play a bit part role here and there...how do we know that's what he wants? He clearly feels he's got more to give, and i'm guessing he'll want to play as much as possible in his last season or two.

if anything, i just want it to be done and dusted either way, just to stop the question about Dis' future being raised at EVERY press interview since January. It's getting a bit embarrassing. Slade has a big decision to make, but i'm confident he'll make the best one for GTFC moving forward, and I hope he doesn't get flack on here if his decision on Dis doesn't reflect what a lot of people want.

One things for sure if he does go....I'll bloody miss him in the black and white stripes!

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 95
Posh Harry
May 5, 2017, 1:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,369
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I agree with most of the things you have said there TOC, but along with Hagrid, I think Dizza can do a job. He would not be a starter every week but would be a good option where either from the start in a big game or as a 'finisher' when we are a goal to the good with 20 mins to go. Someone with an old head who can calm things down. We may already have that type of player in McAllister but no one really knows, Clements looks half decent to me but you don't need Cruyff turns outside your pen box with 10 minutes to play out, and I don't think any of us would call Gunning a cool head in any way shape or form. RS might be able to bring in an alternative with similar attributes but a bit younger which would be great, but who else at the moment could we actually rely on to do that type of job?

Saying that, unfortunately due to the number of players we already have and the others RS will want to bring in, I don't think he will get offered a deal. I would assume (and of course non of us really know), that RS would like to keep him but his hand will be forced due to budget constraints.

Either way he is a club legend in my eyes, and I wish all the luck in the future wherever that future lies.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 95
Mariner93er
May 5, 2017, 2:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
He can do a job, but can he do the job required if we want to be in the promotion hunt? He's a good player to have in your squad, but like others have said, I'd struggle to justify giving him another year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 95
Codswede
May 5, 2017, 2:58pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
Dis always scored against Lincoln, and for that I will always love him  

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 95
Civvy at last
May 5, 2017, 3:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,206
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Codswede
Dis always scored against Lincoln, and for that I will always love him  

Apart from the one that went just wide at the end of the match at theirs, where 10 men came back from one down to draw, but deserved a win.  

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 95
ginnywings
May 5, 2017, 3:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I have no doubt he is good enough and fit enough to play League 2. I feel however that he will be let go for other reasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 95
MuddyWaters
May 5, 2017, 4:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
all a matter of opinion OC, i think Dis can most definately do a job for our team

It is about opinions, totally accept that, but at his age, is he going to play more games next season than he did this because we are going to have a smaller squad.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 95
HertsGTFC
May 5, 2017, 6:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
As the squad will be 23 ish not every player will play every game that will inevitably include experienced pros.

The problem with the size of the squad that MB left is that some players would not play any games.

You would imagine at Craig's age he would want to play more often than not.

If we could afford it I'd give him a role as a squad player and reserve team manager

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 95
toontown
May 6, 2017, 10:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Dis is, as many people have said, that rare example in the modern game of a true legend. I think he could still do a job at League 2 next year, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge him winning another contract. But I think the central midfield over load we have been left with by MB, combined with longer contracts in place for players not of the calibre of Dis, sadly means we aren't likely to see him in a Town shirt again after today. The only silver lining to this is that there would be no possibility he would tarnish his memory by being a fading force next season, if that were to happen. A real leader by example, just how badly would Town have been in his first season (11th) without his drive from midfield? Would Town have been so consistently finishing in play-off spots in his next seasons after that without his ability to get such vital goals. We were incredibly lucky to have him at that stage in his career, because if it had not been for that injury hit time at the shrews he would certainly have been playing in the football league. Dis has been brilliant for us for so long and the fish tattoo and the tears at Braintree show what it means to him.
Hope we can get a Craig disley, you knowww, he's a ginger pirlo going to send him off! He will have thoroughly deserved the standing ovation he is going to get seeing as it may be his last ever game, that's for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 95
Madeleymariner
May 6, 2017, 12:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Quite interesting nearly everyone assumes he will play today, how will they cope if he does not get on the pitch today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 95
TheRealJohnLewis
May 6, 2017, 1:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
My prediction is that if he plays today it's because he's leaving, and it's his send off and if he doesn't play then he'll get offered a new contract.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 95
jimgtfc
May 6, 2017, 3:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
I've got to leave the game 15 mins before the end due to work, if Disley gets subbed off to an ovation or does a lap of the pitch at the end is there anyone that can get it on film and pop it on here? Thanks.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 95
RichMariner
May 6, 2017, 4:08pm
Brandy Drinker
I remember Disley scoring a couple of goals against us for Bristol Rovers when we beat them 4-3 when Buckley was in charge (think it was just after we beat Boston away 6-0).

One of the reasons why we dropped into non-league was because we didn't have a Disley-type player in central midfield.

We needed someone who was fit, dedicated, dependable and capable of doing the right things at the right times. Nothing outrageous or flashy. Just someone who could get from box to box and chip in with a few goals.

Disley has done that consistently throughout his time with us. He's been the first to sign a new contract every summer, he's never really had a bad game from what I can recollect, and he's even got three fish tattooed on him!

I'd be happy to keep him for another year. I don't think fitness is an issue - he looked very comfortable in the Yeovil game, but if that's the last time I saw him play for us it'll be a good way for me to see him bow out because it was a classic Disley performance.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 84 - 95
zorro_is_a_Mariner
May 6, 2017, 4:37pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Disley starts !!!!

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 95
TheRealJohnLewis
May 6, 2017, 4:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 95
Mariner_09
May 6, 2017, 4:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
But he's not been named as captain, RS was Talking as if Collins, Dis and Pearson are all on their way.

Private Message
Reply: 87 - 95
Cayman_mariner
May 6, 2017, 7:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Humberside keep saying Dis Town career is over.  Didn't realise this had been confirmed anywhere yet.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 95
Meza
May 6, 2017, 7:52pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
They are just bitter Hull lost and are in a relegation place lol

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 95
Teesknees
May 6, 2017, 9:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Mariner_09
But he's not been named as captain, RS was Talking as if Collins, Dis and Pearson are all on their way.

where does he actually say that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 95
May 7, 2017, 3:12pm
Guest User
Quoted from Teesknees

where does he actually say that?

I thought the same as Mariner 09... RS seemed to be talking about the senior players in the past tense...Maybe I got it wrong. Wonder if he will renew Pearson?
Reply: 91 - 95
Mariner_501
May 8, 2017, 1:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
If we didn't have shite like Summerfield and Berrett on 2 year deals maybe he would have a chance. People have to make way for new signings, unfortunately for Diz
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 95
rancido
May 8, 2017, 2:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Mariner_501
If we didn't have shite like Summerfield and Berrett on 2 year deals maybe he would have a chance. People have to make way for new signings, unfortunately for Diz

At least the fans can't blame MB for those two signings!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 95
Mariner_09
May 8, 2017, 4:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
No I was slightly confused that we were offering Podge a one year deal but Summerfield, Berrett and Boyce two year deals. Or Bolarinwa a 3 year deal, he must be cheap!

Private Message
Reply: 94 - 95
Pontooner
May 8, 2017, 6:50pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +186
Quoted from Mariner_501

Got to disagree. As much as I like Disley, he's unfortunately just not the player he was and I don't think he's offered any more than Summerfield in the games he's played this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 95
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dis - If the next game is it.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.