Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dis - If the next game is it.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 207 Guests

Dis - If the next game is it.

This thread currently has 15,617 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
May 5, 2017, 8:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Lots of good stuff on here re Craig regardless of people's view on next season everyone recognises his professionalism, quality, leadership and how much GTFC means to him.

In the context of the last few years and the one year deal cycle his commitment to GTFC on and off the pitch has been huge, maybe not the loudest leader but leads by example. Since I started going in the mid/late 70s we have had some good captains such as Joe Waters and Grovsey and Craig is right up there with them.

I guess if there is nothing formal communicated if he plays tomorrow and is subbed at 80 odd minutes that will possibly confirm the future

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 95
1mickylyons
May 5, 2017, 8:36am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,389
Gold Stars: 56
Dis has been a great servant to us in our darkest times and never left me feeling short changed unlike so so many other players.I have been a big fan of him during his time with the Club for me still a decent squad player to have but should now be behind 2 others for a CM role in the first team.Ginger Pirlo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 95
Garth
May 5, 2017, 8:44am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Top player top man, I still think he would be an asset to us for another season.

I would think that no announcement before tomorrows game would probably mean he has another year with us, to treat him as you would Gunning would not be fair or sensible, I hope he stays

If he goes I will always look out for him in whatever capacity or team that he finishes in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 95
golfer
May 5, 2017, 8:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I think he will be offered some sort of job-I feel that if he wasn't he would have been told by now-surely in all fairness
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 95
mariner91
May 5, 2017, 9:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
I've been going to Town games since 1999 so unfortunately have missed the better periods of the club's history. In that time we've been unfortunate to have some really difficult times and we've had some absolute charlatans playing for the club who only cared about picking up their pay packet. In fact, we've had so many that I doubt anyone could come close to naming them all. And that's why Craig Disley stands out. In the modern era players don't stick around clubs too long, particularly at clubs that are at their lowest ebb. Yet Dis stuck with us until the job was done which can't have been easy because the pressure to get us back into the league clearly made others struggle. He never gave less than 100%, he often popped up with goals just as we needed them and he really, genuinely cared. He may not be the best midfielder we've ever had but for someone like me, who has only really seen Town be a bit excrement, he would be in my all time Town XI without question. And he'd be my captain. Love him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 95
jamesgtfc
May 5, 2017, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from mariner91
I've been going to Town games since 1999 so unfortunately have missed the better periods of the club's history. In that time we've been unfortunate to have some really difficult times and we've had some absolute charlatans playing for the club who only cared about picking up their pay packet. In fact, we've had so many that I doubt anyone could come close to naming them all. And that's why Craig Disley stands out. In the modern era players don't stick around clubs too long, particularly at clubs that are at their lowest ebb. Yet Dis stuck with us until the job was done which can't have been easy because the pressure to get us back into the league clearly made others struggle. He never gave less than 100%, he often popped up with goals just as we needed them and he really, genuinely cared. He may not be the best midfielder we've ever had but for someone like me, who has only really seen Town be a bit excrement, he would be in my all time Town XI without question. And he'd be my captain. Love him.

I don't understand the cliché that a captain should be vocal. Like you said, he stuck by us until the job was done and settled into the local community. He gives 100% at all times and most of his goals for us have been very important goals.

Whatever happens he goes with my best regards but I feel he could still play a part next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 95
Mariner93er
May 5, 2017, 10:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Disley himself said he'd rather not know until next week, and slade was edging towards that too. So I doubt we'll know anything prior to the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 95
Abdul19
May 5, 2017, 12:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I don't understand the cliché that a captain should be vocal.

Aye. I read an interview with Matt Holland the other day and he said that he wasn't a shouty type either; so he set an example by being the first in each day, generally working hard and being someone everyone could approach about stuff. I imagine Disley is exactly like that. And he's got a lovely beard.

I'd definitely keep him on another year.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 95
Perkins
May 5, 2017, 12:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Give him another season, i can't think of a better player to inspire calmness, confidence and loyalty in our younger players. Too much publicity is given these days to supposed "superstars" when players like Disley are the real role models of the game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 95
MuddyWaters
May 5, 2017, 1:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
First thing - Craig Disley will always be the captain that brought GTFC back into the Football League BUT there comes a time when the club has to part ways with him. He's not played many games this season, he doesn't get into the positions that he did three years ago and with a smaller squad, it would be difficult to justify keeping a squad place for a
player to be a talisman for the club.

We need to move on, we need to look for the next Craig Disley, football matches aren't won on sentiment.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dis - If the next game is it.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.