Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dis - If the next game is it.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 308 Guests

Dis - If the next game is it.

This thread currently has 15,590 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
April 30, 2017, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
I think if it wasn't for the terrible 2 year contracts for Berret and Summerfield then he may well have earned one more year, but with us unlikely to offload both of these he's unlikely to be here. It's just numbers.

Dis has been a great player for us, the best in the middle for me since Pouton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 95
RichMariner
May 1, 2017, 1:59am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I guess it depends what Disley is looking for too.

I think he'll accept that he's not going to play all 46 league games, wherever he may end up next season, at whatever level.

Maybe, if he accepts that he'll only be a bit-part player, he'd be quite happy to sit on our bench for another year on lower wages.

Or maybe he wants to begin a coaching career and we can offer him something on that level (although to be fair I've never really heard him talk about this being a career he wants to pursue).

Even if he doesn't play next season, his experience in and around the dressing room and training pitch will be valuable, especially for those youngsters who play in his position.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 95
May 1, 2017, 7:37am
Guest User
Diz has been magnificent for us, he leads by example, used to pop up with important goals and has been a wonderful servant for the club. But it's time to go, he clearly can't get around the pitch like he used to. It comes to us all I'm afraid, hope he gets a heroes send off on Saturday.

I've no idea if he has an interest in coaching or if he has been taking his badges, but if we have a vacancy and the club think he would do a good job then I'd be happy if he was on the coaching team.
Reply: 12 - 95
Davec
May 1, 2017, 8:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Just out of interest, does anybody know how many appearances Disley has made for Grimsby in all competitionso? Has to be around 300?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 95
jimgtfc
May 1, 2017, 8:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,094
Gold Stars: 44
RS has selected him more often than not and he's been one of the better performers for him, so maybe Russ thinks there could be a role for him going forward. Personally I think it's time to say goodbye, I don't want to see him depreciate as a footballer any more and taint the fantastic reputation he has here. He did his job, he got us promoted, he then got to enjoy the fruits of his labour with a season in the football league.

If it is to be his last outing in black and white, we need a proper rendition of the ginger Pirlo song, and I don't mean 20 fans in the pontoon singing it for 10 seconds, the whole ground belting it out for 10 minutes or so. It's the least we can do for the bloke, and maybe we'll see some tears again 😉

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 95
Bradford Mariner
May 1, 2017, 9:15am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from lowerfindus
Time to go I'm afraid.

I'm not one of his biggest fans as I've always thought he slowed the game down by taking too many touches and played the ball sideways too often to the detriment of the team. I actually think with a better manager he could have been more infuencial played in a three or further forward closer to the strikers. His late runs and goals were a positive.

That would have meant playing an alternative formation and we here at gtfc (managers, players and fans alike) do not seem to be able to cope without 44 fcuking 2.

However, you can't knock his work ethic or desire to win and the way he has lead the side during the last few years on and off the pitch. Certainly an indication of if he's in or out would be fair so if the time has come he can be rightly acclaimed by the fans.

Agree with this.

Can't argue with his contribution when he first arrived but not so sure about last two seasons.

We can't afford any sentiment when it comes to player retention and the idea that we can retain someone just because 'they can come on occasionally' is complete nonsense. We need a squad where all the players can play every minute of every game if called upon, we aren't a rich club and we can't afford passengers.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 95
ginnywings
May 1, 2017, 9:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548
This thread is getting dangerously close to the annual "Dis' legs have gone" thread, which we have every season. I have sensed nothing that leads me to believe this is true but it's something fans start to say when a player gets to his mid 30's; the ultimate football cliche. I'm not so sure that a promotion chasing side can accommodate him for a season as a starting player, but i would be happy for him to get another season. Lots of experience and a safe pair of hands. I'd argue that Michael Carrick has been better than the 80 million pound Pogba and he is 35. It's easy to let a players age cloud your judgement.

However, if he is to be let go, i think the club should break with tradition and let him and us know before Saturday, so we can give him a good send off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 95
MuddyWaters
May 1, 2017, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings
This thread is getting dangerously close to the annual "Dis' legs have gone" thread, which we have every season. I have sensed nothing that leads me to believe this is true but it's something fans start to say when a player gets to his mid 30's; the ultimate football cliche. I'm not so sure that a promotion chasing side can accommodate him for a season as a starting player, but i would be happy for him to get another season. Lots of experience and a safe pair of hands. I'd argue that Michael Carrick has been better than the 80 million pound Pogba and he is 35. It's easy to let a players age cloud your judgement.

However, if he is to be let go, i think the club should break with tradition and let him and us know before Saturday, so we can give him a good send off.

Legs have gone? Maybe, maybe not. He's certainly not the player he was and probably been shown up by quick playing midfielders such as Portsmouth's or Exeter's. One thing is for sure, it would be nice for the club to recognise his efforts by allowing us to show our appreciation at some appropriate time.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 95
HertsGTFC
May 1, 2017, 10:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah I think it is Ginny when the intention was to gauge opinion on "if" it was his last game how do we show our appreciation.

As well as what I think he can still do on the pitch off it he has experience to help bring what now looks like "another" new group of players together  considering the work RS potentially needs to do. This has clearly not been a happy camp at times this term and keeping pro's like Craig will help make sure next season is a bit more harmonious amongst the squad.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 95
fishyfanny
May 1, 2017, 10:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.90
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dis - If the next game is it.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.