Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 128 Guests

Russell Slade

This thread currently has 34,636 views. Print
24 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Tinymariner
April 11, 2017, 2:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I'm far happier now and believe he will come in and make do with the players he has inherited, with an ability to do so, I just wish he had been available when PH departed, it may have saved us a few quid on certain players.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 236
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 11, 2017, 2:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from oldun
Never go back, things never the same second time round.

Alan Buckley and Matt Tees might have said that sometimes they are even better.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 236
Swansea_Mariner
April 11, 2017, 2:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,456
Gold Stars: 63
Going back to Buckley was different though as he had actually been successful and built promotion teams.

How can you on the one hand say we are sacking a guy because we are ambitious and then on the other hand employ someone who has never achieved a promotion at any level. He has a track record as a steady eddie, ok if we want to bump along in league 1 for a while, but we're not in league 1.

For MBs faults I cant say that being unambitious appeared to be one of them. This club needs bringing into the 21st century, finally, otherwise I can't see us ever getting on a sustainable footing to compete back at Championship level. Is Slade really the guy to stick around 5 years  and do that alongside moving us up a tier. I just can't see it his career just doesn't show that he is capable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 236
April 11, 2017, 2:37pm
Guest User
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Going back to Buckley was different though as he had actually been successful and built promotion teams.

How can you on the one hand say we are sacking a guy because we are ambitious and then on the other hand employ someone who has never achieved a promotion at any level. He has a track record as a steady eddie, ok if we want to bump along in league 1 for a while, but we're not in league 1.

For MBs faults I cant say that being unambitious appeared to be one of them. This club needs bringing into the 21st century, finally, otherwise I can't see us ever getting on a sustainable footing to compete back at Championship level. Is Slade really the guy to stick around 5 years  and do that alongside moving us up a tier. I just can't see it his career just doesn't show that he is capable.

Maybe he's the 'old head' to impart wisdom to his assistant?
Reply: 133 - 236
lew chaterleys lover
April 11, 2017, 3:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I dont see why appointing a proven Football league manager, who had a good spell here last time and did wonders at Yeovil, Brighton and Leyton Orient and indeed Cardiff for a while, would stop us being dragged into the 21st century?

I think Bignot was for the 22nd century with some of his madcap ideas. What is the point of ambition if you haven't got the strategy to carry it out? I would be amazed if Slade stuck around for five years, but what is the need for that? Football is short term and at this point he seems to be the perfect fit for me. Pragmatic and capable, I am sure he will be able to stabilize us and make us a force next season. He is still in his mid fifties isn't he, so plenty of mileage in the tank yet to prove what he can do.

Lets see what tomorrow brings, but I hope most will welcome him back once the dust has settled. I hope so anyway.
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 236
TAGG
April 11, 2017, 4:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
SLADE OUT

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 236
Jaws
April 11, 2017, 4:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
I'm a bit confused by all the negativity.

We finished 4th in League Two when he left us, never been anywhere near that since. In fact we've not even been top half.

He's never managed below League One since he left us.

We regard Hurst as a hero for getting us to 4th place and winning the play-offs in the league below.

Slade has a proven track record. His win% isn't great but look at the situations of the teams he's managed. Normally brought in to stop teams from going down or tasked with slashing the wage bill and staying competitive.

He left us to go to a league above, just like Hurst did. At the time it was a good decision for him, as proven by his manager of the year award that he received.
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 236
mariner91
April 11, 2017, 5:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
His win percentage at Yeovil was very impressive for a club that size in L1. He's very highly regarded by Orient fans and again, did well in a league where they weren't exactly a huge club. He didn't do badly at Cardiff under difficult circumstances and at Brighton and Coventry he came in with both sides doing terribly but he managed to keep Brighton up. The only blot on his record really is this season but we weren't going to get in someone experienced who doesn't have any bad tenures, they wouldn't come here. He's a safe pair of hands, knows the league, has plenty more contacts and experience since he was last with us and is supposedly great at motivating players. If it wasn't for the fact that he'd been here before, we'd probably all be quite pleased at the thought of appointing a manager who was 8th in the Championship 11 months ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 236
TAGG
April 11, 2017, 5:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Jaws
I'm a bit confused by all the negativity.

We finished 4th in League Two when he left us, never been anywhere near that since. In fact we've not even been top half.

He's never managed below League One since he left us.

We regard Hurst as a hero for getting us to 4th place and winning the play-offs in the league below.

Slade has a proven track record. His win% isn't great but look at the situations of the teams he's managed. Normally brought in to stop teams from going down or tasked with slashing the wage bill and staying competitive.

He left us to go to a league above, just like Hurst did. At the time it was a good decision for him, as proven by his manager of the year award that he received.

Slade
excrement football
Never won a thing with 10 different clubs.
The bloke is as boring as his football and would drive fans away.
The only thing about him is I don't think he would ever get you relegated but then again he would never get you promotion.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 236
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 11, 2017, 5:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from TAGG

Slade
excrement football
Never won a thing with 10 different clubs.
The bloke is as boring as his football and would drive fans away.
The only thing about him is I don't think he would ever get you relegated but then again he would never get you promotion.

Which aspect of the Reddy video clips was excrement football? Certainly not how I remember hi time and visits to BP were far more enjoyable under Slade then they have ever been under PH & MB. The main ingredient for dictating crowd size is results if we are winning we get 5 to 6 thousand and if losing we get 3 to 4 thousand.

We have great away support at present & decent home crowds but look back when we were last in the Championship & look at the average crowd size, despite playing some big clubs we were losing more than we won so not great home crowds. Lets face it the bloody Chimps attract a higher home gate than us at present & this seasons average will probably be higher than ours last season so for all our wish to see great football its winning football that attracts the numbers. Think Arsenal play decent football but not sure their crowd are too happy with this alone!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 236
24 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russell Slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.