headingly_mariner
March 25, 2017, 8:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
Ridiculous decision for a free kick in my eyes, completely ruined it for me.

It was the most blatant foul in living memory. I have to say it took the ref ages to give it though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
A.l.f.
March 25, 2017, 8:46pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Lovely day in the sun and at times we played some nice stuff but we lack pace.  Thought the back four looked fairly comfortable but when the ball goes in to midfield there's not enough movement.  Vose several times in the first half was looking for someone to make a diagonal run.  Overall a better match than last Saturday and at 1-1, both teams had chances to win it.  Asante looked a threat and maybe should have scored in injury time, but for a decent save from their keeper.
Gunning and Boyce played well as a centre back pairing and our goal was well worked.  The play seemed to go on for quite a while before the ref gave the free kick which lead to their goal and he gave us very little all game.  Great free kick though but agree that the wall didnt seem to jump.
Was far from bad and with a couple of players with real pace for next season there's still a good chance to improve.

Hats off to accrington for being a very friendly club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
Mariner Ronnie
March 25, 2017, 9:24pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from headingly_mariner

It was the most blatant foul in living memory. I have to say it took the ref ages to give it though.

Ridiculous decision for the free kick then.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
HertsGTFC
March 25, 2017, 9:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Couldn't go today as it was a choice between today & Blackpool so well done to those that did. From some comments on here, JT and Jevvo on RH sounds like Vose's football brain is quicker than our movement. The movement is a massive issue for me and one that MB needs to solve pre season.

Glad that MB gave Andy Boyce a start as after weeks as a sub, it would have been easy to have played Shaun & Gunning, sounds like Boyce had a decent game which may frustrate some who say he's not good enough.  

Nothing to play for now so I personally would like to see some of the fringe players getting some game time and a rest for Osborne who from what todays commentary sounds like and what I have seen s struggling a bit with his shin splints.

Bigger test next week I reckon, one that will see how many big game players we actually have.

UTM!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
grimsby pete
March 25, 2017, 9:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 222
The wall do or do not decide to jump when a free kick is taken,

That is decided on the training pitch,

Maybe the wall should be given a bit of freedom,

If you can reach it , HEAD IT !!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
moosey_club
March 25, 2017, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
http://www.skysports.com/watch.....crington-1-1-grimsby

Highlights

I hope that free kick is on constant loop at Cheapside this week...

1. Mckeown is all over the place....sets up....then starts edging further across his goal nearer to the post he is already covering, giving the taker so much free goal to aim at.
2. Chris Clement breaks off the wall and turns away from the ball, it looks from that angle as if he had stood his ground he could easily have blocked it.
3. Vose on the opposite end of the wall is almost hiding
4. There are 3 of their players arriving in the 6 yd box for any scraps compared to 1 of ours

Yes it was a nice strike but the above 4 things at just 1 free kick of the type we have regularly been conceding from all season just p1sses me off.

Asante's goal was reminiscent of one Bogle scored early on last season in front of the Osmond, nice finish through the blockers legs blind siding the keeper.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
louth_in_the_south
March 25, 2017, 10:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,682
Gold Stars: 96
Having just watched the very brief highlights, there's no way any blame could be given to macca . No keeper in the world would've saved that .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
RichMariner
March 25, 2017, 11:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,133
Gold Stars: 209
I've just seen the free kick for the first time - difficult to tell whether the wall would've deflected the shot had it jumped (but I agree that all of them should've at least made the effort to jump).

Macca is covering the other side of the goal, so the wall is there to try and protect the other side. Can't attach too much blame to him, although I'm sure he'll be reliving that goal like us and wondering what (if anything) he could've done differently.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Online
Site Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
horsforthmariner
March 26, 2017, 12:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,620
Gold Stars: 9
Overall we were okay. A point was a fair result.  Defensively i thought we were good _ Gunning in particular was very good and MOM. In midfield we were a mess. Good players a bit lost. Vose has bags of ability but went missing in the second half. Upfront Asante looked bright when he came in hope he plays more games.

I have mixed feelings about the game , i junk our players have more technical ability but they were more organised
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
horsforthmariner
March 26, 2017, 12:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,620
Gold Stars: 9
Oh and the ref gave us absolutely sweet FA all day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.