Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 59 Guests

Gavin Gunning is doing a "great job"

This thread currently has 11,684 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
March 4, 2017, 7:40am
Guest User
Quoted from gtfc82

He's had little influence on this. The play has bypassed him,  he frequently miscontrols the ball and his passing is terrible! We've got so many proper defensive midfielders, yet Bignot picks Gunning! Baffling!!!

I have no idea why the above post had so many negative ticks. He sums it up in one. Still, let's all be positive eh? Despite the obvious staring us in the face. If Gunning can play for Town, so can I. We're about the same shape as well.

To be fair to him, Bignot is playing him out of position. He lacks many attributes for the role of screening defensive midfielder such as mobility, technique, pace, passing and an engine, he slices clearances all day. He If he wasn't carrying weight, he would have more of a chance. If Bignot had eyes, he would see Collins form has been declining steadily and maybe give him a rest and play Gunning in his proper position. Bignot could  perhaps play one of the dozen or so midfielders he has assembled in midfield. Now there's a crazy thought.
Reply: 50 - 87
Mrs Doyle
March 4, 2017, 8:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Disgusting post singling out just one player get off his back he does the job he is told to do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 87
March 4, 2017, 8:18am
Guest User
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Disgusting post singling out just one player get off his back he does the job he is told to do.

You're right, let's close the forum down.
Reply: 52 - 87
ginnywings
March 4, 2017, 8:42am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Marcus Bignot- ex professional footballer and professional football manager who has won a league in the 6th tier of English football on a shoestring budget

BP Vicar- overweight ex Sunday league player who has won a Sunday League title and is a fish merchant. (no offence intended, i'm also an overweight ex Sunday League player). You decide who is more likely to be right.

And i've just been and watched again the Gunning video and asked my other half if she thought he was fat. Her answer was " no way, but he is rather gorgeous, are they jealous of him"?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 87
March 4, 2017, 9:10am
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
Marcus Bignot- ex professional footballer and professional football manager who has won a league in the 6th tier of English football on a shoestring budget

BP Vicar- overweight ex Sunday league player who has won a Sunday League title and is a fish merchant. (no offence intended, i'm also an overweight ex Sunday League player). You decide who is more likely to be right.

And i've just been and watched again the Gunning video and asked my other half if she thought he was fat. Her answer was " no way, but he is rather gorgeous, are they jealous of him"?

Haha, fair one Ginny. I can only go on what I see and he hasn't looked very good IMO. I don't think he's a defensive midfielder though, which won't help him settle. Again, I can only go on what I see, I desperately want us to be successful and I want it yesterday, that's probably why sometimes I come across as bell end.

PS I've won the Junior Cup as well, lol.
Reply: 54 - 87
MuddyWaters
March 4, 2017, 9:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 75

Haha, fair one Ginny. I can only go on what I see and he hasn't looked very good IMO. I don't think he's a defensive midfielder though, which won't help him settle. Again, I can only go on what I see, I desperately want us to be successful and I want it yesterday, that's probably why sometimes I come across as bell end.

We all want success, problem is that modern society tends to want it instantly. I think we all underestimated how far we had fallen behind League clubs in terms of infrastructure etc. and we've got a bit of catching up to do. Fans wanted us to do a  Bristol Rovers - great ambition - but they were only out of the league for a year and have a bigger fan base.

I too hate the 'square pegs, round holes' thing but I think we've had far worse cases of it than playing a big lad as a shield.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 87
ginnywings
March 4, 2017, 10:03am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from 75

Fair enough Vicar, i thought you were the type that would take it in good spirit. I don't think you are a bell end at all, just a passionate Town fan who says it how he sees it, which is a trait i like about the people of this town. I also remember well your offer to give every penny of savings you had to GTFC if it would help us get some better players, so much respect from me. Those i sit with have mixed views on Gunning and his role in the team, so i think it's safe to say, he divides opinion, but for me, it's working and i think as a team, we can only get better given time and a fair wind.

I lost in the cup final btw.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 87
sam gy
March 4, 2017, 10:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,481
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Mariner_09
I just feel that as we have about 8 midfielders available a number of them who can play the defensive midfield role (McAllister, Maxwell and Comley namely) that we shouldn't be wasting a spot in the area that wins and loses games.

I agree we need a player who can "win it and give it" hence I rated Manny Panther and Parslow, at least those two didn't attempt to play 50 yard passes or mazy runs through midfield. Unless those things come off miraculously you are exposed and that isn't desirable.

Maxwell and McAllister haven't been/aren't fit. Comley is a great player but perhaps not the guy to screen he back four (I recall him saying he doesn't see himself as a DM in an interview). I'm guessing he played him there out of necessity, and the results haven't been too bad so he hasn't been dropped.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 87
Mrs Doyle
March 4, 2017, 10:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I can not understand why bignot feels so unsure about our defence he as to have a extra man in there but hey ho whatever personally I would like to see a more balanced line up on BOTH flanks.

Our Achilles heel on the left flank looks so obvious but with such a big unit against us today I might agree the bignots idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 87
ginnywings
March 4, 2017, 10:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
I don't get this assertion that Gunning is taking the place of a midfielder as we had been playing 5 at the back long before Gunning came in and we had Comley as a holding midfielder as well. So by moving Gunning forward slightly, we now have a player that is performing both functions, therefore releasing another player into the midfield three. We have gone from 5-3-2 with one of the three (Comley) sitting to 4-1-3-2. This has allowed us an extra attacking option which is how Tombola has been able to be included. The way i see it, we have lost a defender (Boyce),a defensive midfielder (Comley) and gained another attacker in Bolarinwa. This has worked in the main and it was Tombola who made the difference against Mansfield, which got us back on track.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gavin Gunning is doing a "great job"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.