This thread currently has 11,675 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc82
March 3, 2017, 1:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Who is Bignot trying to convince? Us or himself?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_501
March 3, 2017, 1:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
3 clean sheets in 4(?) since moving him to that position suggests he can't be doing that bad of a job
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 87
chipsandgravy
March 3, 2017, 1:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
I rarely single players out except if they are taking the money and largely the p1ss but I do find that the most depressing statement of the week (IMO).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 87
gtfc82
March 3, 2017, 1:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from Mariner_501
3 clean sheets in 4(?) since moving him to that position suggests he can't be doing that bad of a job

He's had little influence on this. The play has bypassed him,  he frequently miscontrols the ball and his passing is terrible! We've got so many proper defensive midfielders, yet Bignot picks Gunning! Baffling!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 87
ginnywings
March 3, 2017, 1:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
We are doing even better than i thought then if we are playing with ten men.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 87
golfer
March 3, 2017, 2:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
He is playing to orders and doing what he has been told to do- what do you want him to do-be the leading goal scorer and stand in for Macca. He's a mans man and doesn't prance about in sheepskin mits. I've never seen him shirk a tackle- it's about time we had someone who could stand up for himself against the fouling bstrds in this league- so stop calling him all the time-give him a chance and don't forget he plays for Grimsby Town. Call all the other teams but try to give our players a bit of encouragement   Please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 87
March 3, 2017, 2:05pm
Guest User
Totally agree with Golfer... it is ridiculous that on one hand MB is saying he uses the fans to sell the club and then the fans are on the internet tearing strips off a new player - who, as statistics show, is helping to steady the ship as far as clean sheets go
Reply: 6 - 87
diehardmariner
March 3, 2017, 2:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from golfer
He's a mans man and doesn't prance about in sheepskin mits. I've never seen him shirk a tackle- it's about time we had someone who could stand up for himself against the fouling bstrds in this league- so stop calling him all the time-give him a chance and don't forget he plays for Grimsby Town. Call all the other teams but try to give our players a bit of encouragement   Please

Y'see I think that's the issue for a lot of people with him.  He's already dealt out a few cowardly challenges which didn't go down well with the Town following.  On Tuesday he went in for a 50/50 in the second half in which I thought both he and the Colchester lad were both a little late but he came out of it writhing on the floor as if he had broken his leg.  Within a few seconds he was up and running about fine.  

100.00% I agree we need a physically dominant man in midfield, someone who can bully teams and intimidate them, I would rather not have someone trying to hurt people though.  His challenge at Crewe was terrible, no place in the game for it and by all accounts he dished a similar one on Saturday.

Bignot rates him and that's all that counts really as he's the guy who selects the team.  In my personal opinion he's no better than Pearson or Collins at the back and I don't think he's anywhere near mobile enough to be in any sort of midfield role.  That said I can understand having him ahead of Comley or Disley for no other reason than his physical presence.  I said on a previous thread that I'm not actually convinced we need that in front of Pearson and Collins as they cope very well with physical players but Saturday against Akinfenwa may prove different.  If we're going to persist with a big bloke in front of the centre-backs I would quite like to see Maxwell in that role.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 87
moosey_club
March 3, 2017, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
what do we know eh....about 70,000 years worth of combined viewing experience in the home crowd....

I think the addition of any defensive or experienced centre midfield player into that position would have had the same effect on the defence, its another body sat behind the ball making it harder for the opposition to score.....,,i think even the most uneducated watcher of football could work that out......its what else could be brought to that position that is in question i think, mobility, distribution, calmness, ball retention.

Not a bad move having someone there but i feel other options may bring added benefits too.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 87
chipsandgravy
March 3, 2017, 2:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Never call a player anywhere other than on here - which if I am right is the whole point of a forum. I will put it simply then. In my opinion, and if we continue to play the same system, there are better players ahead of him.
He is an accident waiting to happen and no where near matches the fanfare of his signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 87
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gavin Gunning is doing a "great job"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.