This thread currently has 6,385 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
MarinerBen
February 24, 2017, 3:11pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
There really isn't much difference between the Conference and League One. The Championship is where things start to get real.

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 36
Garth
February 24, 2017, 6:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from MarinerBen
There really isn't much difference between the Conference and League One. The Championship is where things start to get real.

Well I can`t agree with that statement

The way that I see it Pearson having a two or even three year contract is not too much of a risk,  he is not easily injured considering his style of play and he never seems to give up when the chips are down for the team,  in fact the opposite usually happens, his positional play has improved and could quite easily get better, his heading ability is second to none in the squad and finally his leadership makes him future long term captain material especially since he has cut out arguing with the refs.
Not sure that I have covered everything, but you get my point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
RichMariner
February 24, 2017, 6:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
Pearson strikes me as a Nathan Pond type of player. He'll improve as the club (hopefully) moves up through the leagues, because he can adapt and change, and take on board new ideas to develop his game.

A lot of players can't step up because they can't absorb new ideas or play in new systems. MB was full of praise for Pearson's football intelligence, so I think he'd more than hold his own in League 1 (if we got there).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
HertsGTFC
February 24, 2017, 8:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MarinerBen

Last season we played Shrewsbury in the cup and woodwork barring we should have beaten them across 2 games, but didn't as despite having a potent strike force at tin pot level just could not score against them.The season before we played Oxford in the cup and if I am honest we where passed off the park oddly enough by a team that are doing o.k. but still in that league.

From what I saw across those 3 games there was a gap and a decent sized one at that but that does not stop players straddling the gap, what you need to do is assess the player his potential and not the league he plays in Omar being the most recent example of that.

Shaun has stepped up on a number of occasions in his career and there is no reason to suggest like other in Marcus's plans he cant again.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
Mariner_09
February 24, 2017, 8:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I'd say that the gap is unclear. Bristol Rovers go up via the play offs and go straight up the following season with the same players (minus Monkhouse admittedly ) But then Cheltenham walk the league and come up with the same players and linger around the bottom 2 all season so far.

League 1 doesn't appear the biggest step up either. Toto, Rodman and Mackreth play every week! All the clubs who were promoted last season aren't struggling in the slightest.

Going back, we completely outplayed Scunny over 2 cup games when they were quite high up the league 2 about 3 and half years ago, we then comfortably beat Northampton, who were at the time struggling. Oxford comfortably outplayed us the following year and then we should have hammered Shrewsbury but Podge the chances fell to Clay rather than Podge sadly.

Pearson could easily make the step up for me and it would be great if he did, with us that is!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
Mariners_15
February 25, 2017, 10:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Good interview that, one of his best. With what I'm hearing lately regarding the youth setup, new players, contracts etc plus what he said in his telegraph interview about Clee Town and other local non league/ amateur sides wanting to develop a relationship with these it looks like we are really trying to put a good infrastructure in place. Marcus is certainly trying to take us to the next level as a club in terms of on and off the pitch. Promising signs at the minute!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
HertsGTFC
February 25, 2017, 10:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'd say that the gap is unclear. Bristol Rovers go up via the play offs and go straight up the following season with the same players (minus Monkhouse admittedly ) But then Cheltenham walk the league and come up with the same players and linger around the bottom 2 all season so far.

League 1 doesn't appear the biggest step up either. Toto, Rodman and Mackreth play every week! All the clubs who were promoted last season aren't struggling in the slightest.

Going back, we completely outplayed Scunny over 2 cup games when they were quite high up the league 2 about 3 and half years ago, we then comfortably beat Northampton, who were at the time struggling. Oxford comfortably outplayed us the following year and then we should have hammered Shrewsbury but Podge the chances fell to Clay rather than Podge sadly.

Pearson could easily make the step up for me and it would be great if he did, with us that is!

The bits in bold 09 are really good points and considering Scunny then sacked Laws went on a run and went up then the season after Northampton p1ssed the league it just proves that League 2 is an odd division, if Toto is deemed good enough then Shaun must be as well if nothing else out of the 2 of them I know who I would want in the trenches with me.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC Open talks with Pearson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.