Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: mariner83, February 23, 2017, 7:27pm
[tweet]834816079704813568[/tweet]
Posted by: Fat Cobra, February 23, 2017, 7:27pm; Reply: 1
Great news 👍🏻
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 23, 2017, 7:29pm; Reply: 2
I fully concur, and a shining light perhaps to other professionals who might not get a game every week.
Posted by: Cloudy, February 23, 2017, 7:34pm; Reply: 3
Am I the only one who didn't get the message that the club HAVE opened talks with Shaun Pearson.

Listen carefully. Bignot wants A Shaun Pearson not necessarily THE Shaun Pearson
Posted by: Garth, February 23, 2017, 8:05pm; Reply: 4
It would not surprise me if it was thought that  there could be an interest by a former manager during the Summer break. Well done Shaun, get him secured quick
Posted by: davmariner, February 23, 2017, 8:12pm; Reply: 5
A former manager who barely played him in our final year in the Conference and didn't think he was good enough to be a starter in League 2...
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 23, 2017, 8:26pm; Reply: 6
Good news all round, we need to get this deal done!
Posted by: Posh Harry, February 23, 2017, 8:26pm; Reply: 7
I have been told (by someone who worked with Shaun's brother until recently) that Shaun and PH had fallen out when he was not playing earlier in the season, so an approach might not be welcomed with open arms. It is obviously 3rd party so difficult to confirm its accuracy though.

I would love Shaun to get another 2 years at least. As well as an excellent servant to the club, the bottom line is he is also an excellent defender. I never bought into the 'not being quick enough' for league football arguement. The art of a defender is being able to read the game and if you can do that then you don't need express pace.

UTFM
Posted by: topuphere666, February 23, 2017, 8:26pm; Reply: 8
Great servant to the club and local community. He has really upped his game since we went up and has been one of the most consistent this season. Get him tied down to a 2-3 year deal!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 23, 2017, 8:35pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Cloudy
Am I the only one who didn't get the message that the club HAVE opened talks with Shaun Pearson.

Listen carefully. Bignot wants A Shaun Pearson not necessarily THE Shaun Pearson

You should know Biggie has a tenuous grasp the use of definite and indefinite articles in the English language*. 'The BP' for example.

* Much like my missus really.  ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 23, 2017, 8:39pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Good news all round, we need to get this deal done!

Oh and to add once done he needs to be made club/team captain on a perm basis once Dis eventually moves on.  
Posted by: Cloudy, February 23, 2017, 8:39pm; Reply: 11
FFS LISTEN to the interview!!!

From approx 8mins 30 in. At no stage does Bignot say they have opened talks with Shaun Pearson about a new contract. He says he is intelligent, that he has improved, that he is Grimsby through and through, that he knows what he thinks of him etc etc but at no stage does he say they have offered a new deal!

He did say that Clifton, Venney and Wright ARE under contract for next season ( haven't previously seen that announced anywhere) and that Andy Warringtons contract was now done for next season. Wonder when the club will formally announce these deals?
Posted by: ginnywings, February 23, 2017, 8:44pm; Reply: 12
I listened and got to the same conclusion as Cloudy. Plenty of praise but nowhere does he say that they are in talks about a new contract, not that i'm saying there aren't or won't be. He wouldn't name names when discussing who they want to stay on.
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, February 23, 2017, 8:50pm; Reply: 13
In other news

The war is over

This was in the Telegraph a couple of weeks ago

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/grimsby-town-contract-news-mariners-boss-has-spoken-to-stars-about-future-deals/story-30125077-detail/story.html
Posted by: ginnywings, February 23, 2017, 8:53pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from The Grim Reaper

Yeah, but it doesn't name names, so Pearson may or may not be one of the ones he wants to keep.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 23, 2017, 8:54pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
In other news

The war is over

Ah, good show. Hope we taught Kruger and his dirty Boers a lesson.
Posted by: chaos33, February 23, 2017, 10:42pm; Reply: 16
Yet more overreaction....

If Town do make Pearson an offer of a new contract, IMO it should be to look to extend him to the end of next season. We might possibly be a L1 club at the end of this season or next, and I'm not entirely sure that Pearson would be L1 standard, although he looks plenty good enough to play at L2 level. That said, I think he's been a consistently good player for us with a superb attitude and he is much loved by us all for that. We need to try to reward him and secure him, but keep it rational.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 23, 2017, 11:15pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from chaos33
Yet more overreaction....

If Town do make Pearson an offer of a new contract, IMO it should be to look to extend him to the end of next season. We might possibly be a L1 club at the end of this season or next, and I'm not entirely sure that Pearson would be L1 standard, although he looks plenty good enough to play at L2 level. That said, I think he's been a consistently good player for us with a superb attitude and he is much loved by us all for that. We need to try to reward him and secure him, but keep it rational.

If you want to secure him would you not have to offer him 2 years Chaos?
Posted by: chaos33, February 23, 2017, 11:21pm; Reply: 18
I don't know. Depends what he wants. No reason why a two year deal couldn't be negotiated, or he might be happy to go for another year and take stock, and the club do likewise. If we are a League one team in the next two years, we'll need league one standard players. Is Pearson league one standard? I don't know. Don't think I'd be offering three years to him, or anyone in the present squad really. Don't get me wrong though - I really like Pearson as a player and a professional.
Posted by: LH, February 24, 2017, 12:40am; Reply: 19
Just listened to it on my way home from work. As said no firm confirmation of an offer but "one or two" in discussions. I reckon it's him and Danny Andrew (who has stated he would like to stay longer previously and is a fairly local lad) at a guess but that's purely speculation.

I really hope Bignot can walk the walk to match his talk. He's ambitious and obviously has a long term vision for the club. I'd also add that I hope the club are willing to back him financially to allow his vision to be realised.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, February 24, 2017, 7:37am; Reply: 20
How on earth do we know Pearson is not a league 1 standard player until tried ??? He's Proved us all wrong at this level who's to say he couldn't up his game at the next level he along with dis and macca has been a great servant to the club and community and at times has waited for long periods for his chance to get back into the the side but when he has he has proved why he should be starting he wins 99% of his battles with most strikers in his league and previous seasons and in my opinion is the best centre back at the club and fully deserves a new deal UTM
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 24, 2017, 8:14am; Reply: 21
I can't remember futcher or kev Moore blessed with blistering pace , no reason why Pearson can't get to the iconic status of those 2
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 24, 2017, 8:50am; Reply: 22
Or John Terry, Jaap Stam, Rio Ferdinand, Jamie Carragher. Pace isn't a necessity at centre half.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 24, 2017, 9:41am; Reply: 23
When Shaun was at Spalding & Stamford did anyone think he could be a league 2 player? Not sure to be honest but Centre Half is an outfield position where even at 27 you can still get better as you gain experience and understand how to read the game.

I feel that getting Danny Collins in has helped as playing alongside someone with experience and quality allows you to grow and learn.

If we are going to progress we need a solid back 3, 4 or 5 whatever depending on the shape so securing the services of Shaun, Danny Andrew and another year for Danny Collins feels like good use of a proportion of the Omar money etc.. etc..  
Posted by: Maringer, February 24, 2017, 9:46am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Mariner_09
Or John Terry, Jaap Stam, Rio Ferdinand, Jamie Carragher. Pace isn't a necessity at centre half.

Ferdinand was a defender known for his pace as well as being comfortable on the ball. Very strange to include him in that list.

It's all relative, in any case. All of those players are a heck of a lot quicker than Pearson and they were fast enough to do a decent job at the top level.

Pearson has proved he is generally quick enough for League football. Whether or not this would be the case for League One, I'm not sure. Let's hope he gets the chance to show us!  ;)
Posted by: chaos33, February 24, 2017, 9:54am; Reply: 25
Blimey...calm down a bit Mendonca1995. I sense an angry tone in your post. He may well be good enough for L1. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't. He is in his first season in the football league and is doing well at L2 level. I've heaped praise on him in my posts.

What I'm getting at are the folk that have overreacted, as usual, first of all saying we've offered him a new deal when we haven't, then those declaring we should 'sign him up now on a 3 year deal', and now those getting cross because I dared to express a view that he might not be L1 standard should we get there soon, or, that 3 year deals in that context might not be the most pragmatic or rational way to run contract management.

Just to be clear - I really like Shaun as a player and I hope we do offer him a new deal that he signs.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 24, 2017, 10:06am; Reply: 26
Quoted from chaos33
Blimey...calm down a bit Mendonca1995. I sense an angry tone in your post. He may well be good enough for L1. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't. He is in his first season in the football league and is doing well at L2 level. I've heaped praise on him in my posts.

What I'm getting at are the folk that have overreacted, as usual, first of all saying we've offered him a new deal when we haven't, then those declaring we should 'sign him up now on a 3 year deal', and now those getting cross because I dared to express a view that he might not be L1 standard should we get there soon, or, that 3 year deals in that context might not be the most pragmatic or rational way to run contract management.

Just to be clear - I really like Shaun as a player and I hope we do offer him a new deal that he signs.

I think it all just proves how popular Shaun is TBH mate, you know Town fans when we love you we tend to worship you and when we are not keen your fcuked!

Despite differing views on terms etc.. I think we are all unanimous that Shaun should be with us and nobody else for a good while yet.
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 24, 2017, 10:21am; Reply: 27
I think we could do much worse than simply having him as a defensive option if we were in league 1. But I do feel he could perform in that league.

I love this thread for one reason, we're talking about the potential of being in league 1. It was only 2 weeks ago we lost to crew. There can't be many teams that offer such an emotional roller coaster as town do.
Posted by: Johnnyc66, February 24, 2017, 12:57pm; Reply: 28
A lot of Town fans go from one extreme to another.  

However I usually look at things with a level head.

I can't wait until we run out at the revamped 40,000 seater BP for our first game in the Prem, Omar back leading us out after collecting 20 caps for England

In the real world I do hope Shaun stays, he has been through a rough time over the past 12 months and Biggy seems to like his attitude. He is well liked for his on the pitch commitment and off the pitch profile.

I quite liked the interview I think it was one of Biggy's best so far, gave an insight into how the guy thinks.  Hopefully got something useful out of his trip to St Georges
Posted by: rancido, February 24, 2017, 3:02pm; Reply: 29
MB did say that Pearson was part of his long term plans for the club which implies that he could be offered a renewed contract.
Posted by: MarinerBen, February 24, 2017, 3:11pm; Reply: 30
There really isn't much difference between the Conference and League One. The Championship is where things start to get real.
Posted by: Garth, February 24, 2017, 6:13pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from MarinerBen
There really isn't much difference between the Conference and League One. The Championship is where things start to get real.

Well I can`t agree with that statement ;D

The way that I see it Pearson having a two or even three year contract is not too much of a risk,  he is not easily injured considering his style of play and he never seems to give up when the chips are down for the team,  in fact the opposite usually happens, his positional play has improved and could quite easily get better, his heading ability is second to none in the squad and finally his leadership makes him future long term captain material especially since he has cut out arguing with the refs.
Not sure that I have covered everything, but you get my point.
Posted by: RichMariner, February 24, 2017, 6:55pm; Reply: 32
Pearson strikes me as a Nathan Pond type of player. He'll improve as the club (hopefully) moves up through the leagues, because he can adapt and change, and take on board new ideas to develop his game.

A lot of players can't step up because they can't absorb new ideas or play in new systems. MB was full of praise for Pearson's football intelligence, so I think he'd more than hold his own in League 1 (if we got there).
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 24, 2017, 8:18pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from MarinerBen

Last season we played Shrewsbury in the cup and woodwork barring we should have beaten them across 2 games, but didn't as despite having a potent strike force at tin pot level just could not score against them.The season before we played Oxford in the cup and if I am honest we where passed off the park oddly enough by a team that are doing o.k. but still in that league.

From what I saw across those 3 games there was a gap and a decent sized one at that but that does not stop players straddling the gap, what you need to do is assess the player his potential and not the league he plays in Omar being the most recent example of that.

Shaun has stepped up on a number of occasions in his career and there is no reason to suggest like other in Marcus's plans he cant again.
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 24, 2017, 8:36pm; Reply: 34
I'd say that the gap is unclear. Bristol Rovers go up via the play offs and go straight up the following season with the same players (minus Monkhouse admittedly ;)) But then Cheltenham walk the league and come up with the same players and linger around the bottom 2 all season so far.

League 1 doesn't appear the biggest step up either. Toto, Rodman and Mackreth play every week! All the clubs who were promoted last season aren't struggling in the slightest.

Going back, we completely outplayed Scunny over 2 cup games when they were quite high up the league 2 about 3 and half years ago, we then comfortably beat Northampton, who were at the time struggling. Oxford comfortably outplayed us the following year and then we should have hammered Shrewsbury but Podge the chances fell to Clay rather than Podge sadly.

Pearson could easily make the step up for me and it would be great if he did, with us that is!
Posted by: Mariners_15, February 25, 2017, 10:20am; Reply: 35
Good interview that, one of his best. With what I'm hearing lately regarding the youth setup, new players, contracts etc plus what he said in his telegraph interview about Clee Town and other local non league/ amateur sides wanting to develop a relationship with these it looks like we are really trying to put a good infrastructure in place. Marcus is certainly trying to take us to the next level as a club in terms of on and off the pitch. Promising signs at the minute!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 25, 2017, 10:54am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'd say that the gap is unclear. Bristol Rovers go up via the play offs and go straight up the following season with the same players (minus Monkhouse admittedly ;)) But then Cheltenham walk the league and come up with the same players and linger around the bottom 2 all season so far.

League 1 doesn't appear the biggest step up either. Toto, Rodman and Mackreth play every week! All the clubs who were promoted last season aren't struggling in the slightest.

Going back, we completely outplayed Scunny over 2 cup games when they were quite high up the league 2 about 3 and half years ago, we then comfortably beat Northampton, who were at the time struggling. Oxford comfortably outplayed us the following year and then we should have hammered Shrewsbury but Podge the chances fell to Clay rather than Podge sadly.

Pearson could easily make the step up for me and it would be great if he did, with us that is!

The bits in bold 09 are really good points and considering Scunny then sacked Laws went on a run and went up then the season after Northampton p1ssed the league it just proves that League 2 is an odd division, if Toto is deemed good enough then Shaun must be as well if nothing else out of the 2 of them I know who I would want in the trenches with me.
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 12:44pm