This thread currently has 6,532 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
February 19, 2017, 10:41am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,582
Gold Stars: 175
Last season 20 wins was enough to guarantee a play off place. We currently have 12 so would need to win 8 games in 14 to match that and even then that might not be enough. We haven't won 8 in 14 all season. I'd love us to do it but I just can't see it happening. That said the fixtures are pretty kind to us when you think that we have to play a lot of those also competing for the same spot.  All I asked for at the start of the season was safety and a good foundation to build on for next season.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
Mariner_09
February 19, 2017, 11:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Yeah but we're better against Plymouth, Carlisle, Luton and Mansfield than we are against Crewe, Cheltenham and Orient!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 19, 2017, 11:45am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from LH
Last season 20 wins was enough to guarantee a play off place. We currently have 12 so would need to win 8 games in 14 to match that and even then that might not be enough. We haven't won 8 in 14 all season. I'd love us to do it but I just can't see it happening. That said the fixtures are pretty kind to us when you think that we have to play a lot of those also competing for the same spot.  All I asked for at the start of the season was safety and a good foundation to build on for next season.

Yes but that was last seasons table, and mansfield currently has the same number of wins as us, I think its a tighter season, do any of the the teams from 7th to 12th look like going on an amazing run? not really, be interesting to see how it turns out, could be decided on the last day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
HertsGTFC
February 19, 2017, 12:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228

Yes but that was last seasons table, and mansfield currently has the same number of wins as us, I think its a tighter season, do any of the the teams from 7th to 12th look like going on an amazing run? not really, be interesting to see how it turns out, could be decided on the last day

Been to a good few away games and have only missed Newport at home clearly Donny are handy but apart from that at BP I thought Carlisle Exeter and Pompey looked good and pre Christmas a couple of sides "did a job on us" but in reality I have not seen any world beaters..

There are a lot of sides in this league that are a bit like we are at the moment, good one week poor the next and anyone can throw up a result versus anyone. I reckon if we do well at home for the rest of the season we will be in the mix for 7th along with another 4/5 teams.

This is a bit simplistic but are we the 7th best team in this league? It feels season to date we are just below that level so I reckon we may just miss out.          

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
Mariner93er
February 19, 2017, 12:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Literally anything can happen. With so many teams in the mix, every weekend there will be a game were at least 2 are playing each other, so I think it will constantly chop and change.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
headingly_mariner
February 19, 2017, 12:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from ginnywings

Wow! Nothing like confidence is there? We can dream as fans can't we, otherwise, what's the point?

Are you confident? It would be great if we could hit the form needed but I think we are a way off the improvement needed. There are lots of team in the race to sneak in. I'd be amazed and thrilled if we managed it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
ginnywings
February 19, 2017, 4:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Are you confident? It would be great if we could hit the form needed but I think we are a way off the improvement needed. There are lots of team in the race to sneak in. I'd be amazed and thrilled if we managed it.

Confident? No, but we are three points off the last play off spot, so to say we have no chance when we are a mere one win from them currently is short sighted in my view. Mansfield have just won 6 and drawn 2 out of 8. Did they look like world beaters?

It's a slim chance granted but it's still a chance and we have as much of one as those around us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
Mariner_09
February 19, 2017, 4:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Win the next 2 and we're right in there. We'll probably be in the play offs or at worst just outside them. Means winning the next two though, which probably won't happen.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
TownSNAFU5
February 19, 2017, 5:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,904
Gold Stars: 42
Anything is possible in this division.  Mansfield are in the play-offs and looked very average.  The team that keeps its nerve best will win the competition to sneak into them.  We should get better so have a good a chance as any of the other teams.

Crazy stats.  Orient have lost 13 of their 17 home games.  And they are still 4 points off bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
topuphere666
February 19, 2017, 5:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Mariner_09
Yesterday Jones, Osborne and Clements looked like quality additions all game and once Dyson got his goal he looked more confident and therefore effective. Jury's still out on Gunning and Yussuf and we haven't seen enough of Asante or Maxwell to make a judgement. Having said that about Yussuf I have seen him 3 times and he's looked totally ineffective. I wasn't at Carlisle or Hartlepool admittedly.

Trying to work out if the Jury is actually out or not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Play offs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.