Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 233 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 11,414 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
psgmariner
January 14, 2017, 6:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Only saw second half but only positives for Town were Henderson got to do some Hollywood saves for his YouTube showreel and Vose played well when he came on. Oh and Bogle barely had a kick so hopefully the scouts won't be back!

No idea about the formation but it didn't work. We had about 6 defenders on the pitch and struggled to create anything - weird eh?

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 76
Mariner93er
January 14, 2017, 6:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Who? What central midfielder do we have who's capable of such attacking play
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 76
Stew0_0
January 14, 2017, 6:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 35
Chose the wrong formation and personnel from the start today. 3-5-2 works away from home but for me we need attacking width at home and creativity in the centre of the park. We had a full back, comley in a defensive position anyway and a static disley in a team looking for a home win. For all those that have been screaming for disley to come back in the team, he had a poor game and we was overrun in the centre by bright, sharp and pacey centre midfielders that also showed great creativity and created the last two goals. We were second best and laboured, with little urgency to get forward. Our tactic was to pass sideways and backwards and when pressed by their lively midfield we hammered it forward expecting bogle and yussef to feed off the scraps.

Boyce shouldnt be near the first 11 and it pains me to say it but weve got better option than disley. If hes fit enough for the bench then mcallister should have had a run out. Putting bolarinwa up top didnt work and unless injured why did we bring pearson and comley off.

Next saturday we should go back to a 4-4-2 with Gunning and Collins at cb.

If we didnt need proof anyway we need to find a centre midfield and fast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 76
UFindusMariner
January 14, 2017, 6:43pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +172
If anything today just highlighted our need for 1/2 creative midfielders, the amount of times we played wide or backwards rather than trying to play into the strikers feet was ridiculous. On numerous occasions the midfield had chance to run with the ball and take us forward but refused to do so, it is easy for teams to defend against sides who pass the ball backwards, sideways and slowly.

You can see why Bignot is going for a Osborne/Jones type player as he needs to find the balance between defensive/busy/attacking midfield three.

Secondly I would say positionally today Mills struggled, surely the idea of playing with wing backs is to spread high and wide and look to spread the pitch. A lot of times Mills was too deep and was often out the game. I don't want to sound too negative but today was shockingly bad.

Let's hope it's a bad day at the office and onto next week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 76
cmackenzie4
January 14, 2017, 6:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Midfield is letting us down, that's the first time I've left a game early in over 20 years, soon as that third went in I'd seen enough.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 76
mariner tommy
January 14, 2017, 6:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Midfield is letting us down, that's the first time I've left a game early in over 20 years, soon as that third went in I'd seen enough.

So had I and everybody else, I've never seen so many people leave early.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 76
barralad
January 14, 2017, 6:50pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Comfortably the worst performance I've seen this season. The  five at the back and only Disley in midfield with attacking intent didn't bode well from the start. Exeter worked hard to close us down but we helped time and again with sideways/backwards passing. Maybe had we done a bit better with the couple of headers early on it might have made for a different game but I cannot remember their keeper having to make a save. Unfair to single out any individuals. Only Henderson came out with any credit. Another decent crowd go away fed up at the lack of entertaining football.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 76
sydney
January 14, 2017, 7:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
After watching the post match MB interview its only made another clueless home performance feel much much worse
I really approved of giving this young up and coming manager a chance and still do and after last two or three games we seemed to have turned a corner
But that was poor mate, these are good players and I'm starting to wonder if the players understand what you are trying to get them to do, and the style in which you want them to play, as it certainly didn't seem it today (again)
Perhaps when things have calmed down you can have another go at telling us on MP
3 points a must next Sat..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 76
Davec
January 14, 2017, 7:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
Well that was very poor

Stupid formation which quite clearly doesn't work for home games, and with 6 defenders playing at home, you can understand why we created intercourse all, not because the opposition had 10 men behind the ball Marcus, it was because you set up with 6 defenders at home,

Very slow today, very pedestrianised and considering Bignot said there would be lots of shots and Crosses, well no there isn't, especially not at home, central midfield continues to frustrate, Disley wasn't a yard off the pace today, he was 1 mile off the pace, him and Davies 2nd half got completely walked all over, more so when Comley came off.

Very poor form from James Mckeown's other half, she was sat 2 rows behind me and when the first went in she started shouting out and clapping "we need Macca" when somebody asked who she was, she identified herself with as "Mckeown's other half" she then started to criticize Henderson at everything and when they made it 2-0 she said "my James would have saved those because he's a far superior keeper to that manc" she then copulated off a few minutes later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 76
DNMariner
January 14, 2017, 7:47pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +100
Quoted from Davec
Well that was very poor
Very poor form from James Mckeown's other half, she was sat 2 rows behind me and when the first went in she started shouting out and clapping "we need Macca" when somebody asked who she was, she identified herself with as "Mckeown's other half" she then started to criticize Henderson at everything and when they made it 2-0 she said "my James would have saved those because he's a far superior keeper to that manc" she then copulated off a few minutes later.

I think I've seen Henderson claim more crosses in 5 games than McKeown's managed in 5 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.