Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 140 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 11,353 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
January 14, 2017, 9:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Six defenders played 90 minutes, only one of them has any real pace. Disley and Comley don't have much in the way of pace either. Not surprising that their nippy forwards and midfielders ran rings around us once we had to start chasing the game.

I can't remember the last time I saw us fail to test the keeper even once at BP. For that matter I can't remember the last time we won so few headers in the opposition box. Plenty of decent deliveries from set pieces and a few decent crosses from open play as well and their mobile yet not exactly tall defence won everything.

Yussuf looks like the sort of player who will be able to bag a goal, but won't be doing too much other useful work during a game, especially when isolated up front as our strikers always seem to be this season. Unless we can sort out the midfield, I can't see him and Bogle forming a meaningful partnership as neither is good enough at occupying decent defenders.

Very impressed with their No. 11 who was quick, skilful and caused all sorts of problems for our defenders in the air for somebody who isn't that tall.

Very disappointing to be so comprehensively outplayed at home. I still don't have a clue how Bignot wants his team to play as we seem to have a different formation and line up every other week. If the players aren't much good creatively then at least get them organised well enough so we're not at sixes and sevens and shipping goals so easily.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 76
ginnywings
January 14, 2017, 9:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Think it needs pointing out that Exeter have won a few games by 3 and 4 away from home this season and have 9 away wins. They have got the ideal defend deep and break line up. They can't buy a win at home and have an even worse home record than us. Odd that their home and away form is so very far apart.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 76
big smoke mariner
January 14, 2017, 9:32pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +1
Exeter were very good today. At the same time if we could have scored it would have been a different game altogether. Two good footalling sides and they wanted it more. Our defense were brilliant but when 75% of the ball is in your defence the opposition will get the chance to score!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 76
big smoke mariner
January 14, 2017, 9:33pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +1
Also pearson and comely were two of our best players first half. Then they were subbed??!??!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 76
chaos33
January 14, 2017, 9:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I agree with Maringer and can't add too much more, although that final point can only really be said to apply today. We've been tight defensively through Christmas and new year.

We have got to do much, much better at home, even  when allowing for the obvious shortcomings in the current squad. I don't think it's too much to ask that the team might be able to muster some attacking threat on its home ground, and should also be able to execute some basic footballing skills reasonably competently, if only at times - controlling the ball, moving into space, playing with energy and urgency, passing, and basic decision making.

I know it's a fairly imbalanced squad and that's not MB's fault, but players and manager let themselves and everyone else down today. We've got eyes. Not much point trying to gloss over it with general jovial glibness in the post match interview. There ought to be some sort of visible method to our play, surely.

I would probably prefer to hear the manager tell it like it is. Say it's not good enough when it's not. We ought to have a bit more pride than to try to hide or hoodwink our way through the post match when we've been comprehensively turned over at home by another mid table team, however good their form. In many ways we got ourselves beaten today. Hurst used to do this in his post match too (and in a more infuriating style) - fail to talk straight, but I think we need to set our standards higher than they appear to be, even allowing for the understandable need to stand by the players. I think supporters want to see staff hold their hands up and take responsibility and then say that they will do better, and act on that.

We need central and wide midfielders into the squad as soon as possible.
Next home game is very winnable and absolutely requires marked improvement.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 76
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2017, 9:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Someone once said to me that what goes around comes around and then went on to explain how karma works, the reason I mention this is that both on and off the pitch Exeter did a "Grimsby away" performance to the home side today. In fact on the pitch they where really impressive but we allowed them to be at times with our shape & lack of work rate especially when supporting out man in possession and general lethargy.

I get the shape and selection away from home and credit to MB this has worked well in recent weeks but at home we need more creativity and from about 20 mins in it was evident we where struggling, I would have like MB to have added Vose earlier and not sure why he didn't. Also I assume that Shaun was injured if not why did he come off? When you are 1 - 0 down at HT surely you change the offensive players/pattern?

Far too many things to go over on the back of today some issues are long standing but some are the accountability of the current players/manager and there's absolutely no value in looking back we just need to get behind Marcus and the lads again now.

In the car on the way home my dad said that we can only judge Marcus after he has brought some players in that he fancies and to an extent I agree but we are a L2 club and have to mix and match that's what you do at this level with our resources he will not be able to replace every position he desires to play the way he wants to.

What I would say though is that when MB does bring in some of the players he thinks can make a difference we will need to be much, much better than we where today.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 76
ginnywings
January 14, 2017, 9:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Someone once said to me that what goes around comes around and then went on to explain how karma works, the reason I mention this is that both on and off the pitch Exeter did a "Grimsby away" performance to the home side today. In fact on the pitch they where really impressive but we allowed them to be at times with our shape & lack of work rate especially when supporting out man in possession and general lethargy.

I get the shape and selection away from home and credit to MB this has worked well in recent weeks but at home we need more creativity and from about 20 mins in it was evident we where struggling, I would have like MB to have added Vose earlier and not sure why he didn't. Also I assume that Shaun was injured if not why did he come off? When you are 1 - 0 down at HT surely you change the offensive players/pattern?

Far too many things to go over on the back of today some issues are long standing but some are the accountability of the current players/manager and there's absolutely no value in looking back we just need to get behind Marcus and the lads again now.

In the car on the way home my dad said that we can only judge Marcus after he has brought some players in that he fancies and to an extent I agree but we are a L2 club and have to mix and match that's what you do at this level with our resources he will not be able to replace every position he desires to play the way he wants to.

What I would say though is that when MB does bring in some of the players he thinks can make a difference we will need to be much, much better than we where today.

He will given time but fans expect overnight miracles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 76
chaos33
January 14, 2017, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I think he's already brought in two good players. We absolutely need at least one good centre midfielder and either one or two good wide players. Three or four players in total I reckon. He doesn't need a comprehensive rebuild to make us into a team that can challenge this season.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 76
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2017, 10:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from ginnywings

He will given time but fans expect overnight miracles.

Looking at where we are now I think it will be a year before we can truly judge, two windows (now & the summer) s a pre season and the first 3 months of 17/18 to make it work.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 76
Davec
January 14, 2017, 10:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Obviously this lady wasn't macca's other half as she claimed, I'll have to make contact with her to apologise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.