GrimExile
January 12, 2017, 6:13pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
I had the pleasure to gave a chat with him at a Mariners Trust fund-raising evening of which he was the guest of honour. What a charming, friendly and approachable man he was. I'm shocked and saddened to hear of his passing. RIP Graham and I know you'll never be forgotten.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 68
GrimExile
January 12, 2017, 6:14pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
*have a chat not gave.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 68
MuddyWaters
January 12, 2017, 6:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
'Once a Mariner, always a Mariner' - along with Sir Bobby Robson, one of the nicest men in football.

RIP - hope we get to show our thoughts by way of a minutes applause on Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 68
rancido
January 12, 2017, 6:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
He will be sadly missed. He and Jimmy Thompson were the two full backs for town when I first started watching them. 100% player and top bloke. RIP Graham.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 68
I Hate Chris Hollins
January 12, 2017, 6:37pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 5
If only Des Walker would have brought down Overmars outside of the box at Wembley. Or Koeman would have been sent off in Rotterdam.

Dignified semi-final exit, Carlton Palmer does a pizza commercial and Andy Sinton signs for Barcelona.

You were a gentleman Graham; you will be missed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 68
barralad
January 12, 2017, 6:55pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
The length of this thread shows the regard Graham was held in by Town fans. My own personal memory involves possibly the same Trust event Grim Exile talks about. Within weeks of the Trust being "reborn" Graham made contact offering to do a speaker evening. He wouldn't hear of any payment for doing so. On the night the regard his former team mates had for him was obvious. A true scholar of the game and a gentleman.

R.I.P. Graham.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 68
BottesfordMariner
January 12, 2017, 6:57pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Very sad news indeed. Football has lost one of it's true gentlemen.

I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years ago at a local pub in Bottesford. He has family in the Scunny area.

I felt a bit awkward approaching him as he was with his family and i didnt want to intrude but just say a quick hello. He soon put me at ease.  We chatted for several minutes about Town, England and football. He had a great fondness for GTFC.

For some he will be remembered for his less than successful time as England manager. I remember him as one of this country's best ever club managers( i am too young to remember his playing days at Town).

I recall the great Lincoln side he built that romped to the Div 4 title in 1976 with a record points. And of course taking Watford from the 4th Division to runners up in the 1st Division in 5 seasons! They qualified for  Europe and later reached the FA Cup Final. Surely one of the greatest achievements of any manager in English football. And to prove that wasnt a fluke his 2nd spell at Watford in the late 90's he got them back to back promotions from the 3rd tier back to the Premier League.

He even guided Villa to promotion and eventually runners up in the old 1st Division before he took the England job. His CV is outstanding when you look at it. I dont think he got the credit he deserved tbh.

A truly lovely guy. He was one of the good ones and his passing is a great loss not only to football but the world in general.

RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 68
EY Mariner
January 12, 2017, 7:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
A man admired and loved by all three of Lincolnshire's main clubs. Says it all about the man for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 68
promotion plaice
January 12, 2017, 7:33pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

RIP Graham Taylor

All Football League clubs will take part in a minute’s applause this weekend as a mark of respect to Graham Taylor OBE.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Graham Taylor

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.