TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 12, 2017, 3:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer

Wasn't there also some sort of statistic that showed goals were rarely scored if they came after the end of a move containing more than X number of passes? Hence the idea of whacking the ball forward ASAP and avoiding too much of that pesky passing lark.

Anti-Buckleyball, in effect.

Yes, that's what started this conversation. Fast breaks mean fewer defenders. Graham used this theory at Lincoln but more so at Watford. The ball was knocked up to Ross Jenkins who was about 6'6" and he would nod/play it on to Luther Blissett who no-one could catch. This was copied by Wimbledon with John Fashanu in the Ross Jenkins role.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 68
Abdul19
January 12, 2017, 3:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Remember getting his autograph at BP years ago. Lovely chap.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 68
cmackenzie4
January 12, 2017, 3:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Sad news...RIP

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 68
Maringer
January 12, 2017, 3:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,411
Gold Stars: 184
I do remember seeing Watford play against us at BP some years back (after Taylor, I think, possibly Buckley Mk. II era?) and had to laugh at a bald bloke in midfield (Page?) who just whacked the ball up and under every time it came to him. They obviously remained pretty direct after Taylor had left. Don't recall the result of the game, however, just thought it must be rubbish to watch them play.

I don't really recall too much about Taylor but for his ill-fated tenure as England manager. Many pretty disappointing performances back then, to be sure, but certainly not much worse than we've had to endure in recent years!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 68
ginnywings
January 12, 2017, 4:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Allardyce gets a lot of press because of his use of statistical analysis but Taylor was doing it before he was. Watford also made use of good wingers like Barnes and Callaghan. Clever man and it seems a very nice man.

Rip Graham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 68
BeijingMariner
January 12, 2017, 4:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
some really insightful, educational and genuine, kindly appreciative posts on this thread. RIP
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 68
Marinerz93
January 12, 2017, 4:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from acko338
My cousin played in the same reserves side as Graham Taylor many years ago, and it was the same cousin who started my love of Grimsby Town by taking a wooden stool and propping me up in the Main Stand against the fence.

Very sad loss of a true gentleman.

What was your cousins name, I have a photo of one of the reserves sides that had my dad and Graham in.

Sad news indeed, always sad to see a former Mariner pass, RIP Graham and condolences to friends and family.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 68
Mrs Doyle
January 12, 2017, 4:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Very sad news a true gentleman so dignified as Englands coach when the gutter press insulted him personally and ruthlessly made fun of him must have been terrible for him and his family.

The man was bigger than all those tossers put together.

RIP Graham former mariner and all round nice guy not many of them in football these days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 68
moosey_club
January 12, 2017, 5:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
Sorry to hear the news. Was always chipping in with GTFC remarks when he used to doing the punditry work. RIP

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 68
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 12, 2017, 5:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer
I do remember seeing Watford play against us at BP some years back (after Taylor, I think, possibly Buckley Mk. II era?) and had to laugh at a bald bloke in midfield (Page?) who just whacked the ball up and under every time it came to him. They obviously remained pretty direct after Taylor had left. Don't recall the result of the game, however, just thought it must be rubbish to watch them play.

I don't really recall too much about Taylor but for his ill-fated tenure as England manager. Many pretty disappointing performances back then, to be sure, but certainly not much worse than we've had to endure in recent years!

The England team he inherited was on the way out. He picked some turkeys like Keith Curle and he made some catastrophic errors but he wasn't helped by the attitudes of people like "nice guy" Lineker. Many of the same players went on to perform well for Venables.

I'm sure Graham Taylor hated the disappointing performances more than anyone. He was more than just a manager, he was a football fan and an England fan. You could tell that from his commentaries and interviews. He certainly didn't deserve that turnip rubbish and insults that upset his family. His character came through when he went back into club management and had great success again.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Graham Taylor

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.