Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,689
Gold Stars: 174
Sad news indeed.

RIP Graham.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 68
psgmariner
January 12, 2017, 1:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Sad news. Do I not like that.

Met him at St James Church where he gave a great talk about his career and living down Hainton Avenue. Was a left footed right back if I remember rightly. Seemed a lovely bloke.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 68
Brazilnut
January 12, 2017, 1:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
He never forgot Town and often mentioned us .....thoughts with his family

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 68
HertsGTFC
January 12, 2017, 1:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,886
Gold Stars: 225
What a shame a former Mariner and true football man, RIP Graham.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 68
livosnose
January 12, 2017, 1:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
'Do I not like that'  

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 68
totalidiot
January 12, 2017, 1:44pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +341
Rip graham, seems to me that this bloke was one of the old school gentlemen of the game,honest and said it how it was...got treated shockingly by the gutter press but still had everyone's respect for the manner in which he conducted himself,if there were more like him in the game then it would be in a better place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 68
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 12, 2017, 1:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Another part of my youth gone. RIP Graham. Graham was an excellent full back. He didn't need to be fast because he was football intelligent and it was obvious he would go into management.

I remember seeing his Watford side trounce Town at BP when he more or less invented Route One tactics with Luther Blissett and Ross Jenkins and later on John Barnes. Graham had read some research by a football fan academic in which every goal for several seasons had been examined. The results showed that most of them came from mistakes following a long ball out from defence. Graham took this to heart at Lincoln and then Watford. He adapted it a bit when Watford went into Europe but he was still in favour of the percentage game even as England manager, hence his choice of McMenemy as an assistant.

He was great to listen to. Very astute and always remembered his roots. He was the son of Tom Taylor who was "Poacher" reporting Scunthorpe games in the Saturday Telegraph.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 68
Chris Packit
January 12, 2017, 1:55pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -143
He was a top man. Showed kindness and generosity to me personally when he didn't need to. Thanks Graham!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 68
sonik
January 12, 2017, 1:59pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
RIP Graham. Condolences to his family and friends. Very sad news.

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 68
hampshiremariner
January 12, 2017, 2:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
After the Mariners had beaten Bournemouth at Wembley in 1998, Alan Buckley bemoaned the fact that the team had an away fixture at Carlisle just two days later! He said that the fixture list was not compiled by 'football people'.

Alan' s idea of a football person would be someone like Graham Taylor who loved the game and spoke so knowledgeably about it. I was truly shocked to hear that Graham has passed away and feel proud to think that such a good football man was associated not just with Grimsby Town but Lincolnshire football in general. He was a true gentleman; we have lost the ultimate football person. Rest in peace, Graham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Graham Taylor

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.